Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TimeGentleman

Day Of The Tentacle Special Edition

http://www.pcgamer.com/day-of-the-tentacle-special-edition-announced-plus-grim-fandango-date

Double Fine are remastering Day of the Tentacle as well. No real details about that yet, but it's going by the name Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition, and it will coming to PC and Playstation 4

WOW. I did not think this would ever happen.

Although I love the original, things I would like a special edition to do:

Graphics to look like an interactive Chuck Jones cartoon, while retaining the nice thick lines, not just be a soulless flat paint-over job.

Orchestral music recorded by the Melbourne Symphony (piped music to stay suitably cheesy)

No hint system.

I could handle full-screen with a Sam And Max Hit The Road style verb-cursor.

EDIT: this is assuming a special edition means remake. I'd also be more than happy for it to be the classic original simply made available and working on modern systems.

I'm excited, and really curious what they wanna do to remaster it. I imagine it will be anti alising, better lighting. maybe higher resolution assets. More content would be nice. sadly it would probably be hard without looking out of place..

I mean there is potential for that cow that drives with them "un"willingly in the car for some fun there :P

Interesting. I wonder if the remastered graphics would look better or more like a Flash cartoon?

There is something to be said for pixel art. There aren't a huge number of good-looking high-res hand-drawn adventure games. Curse of MI and LSL7 are two that pulled it off, though.

Examples of iffy-looking high-res hand-drawn games are mostly from the Daedalic line-up -- The Whispered World especially looks GREAT in screenshots and terrible in action.

The cancelled LucasArts remake was 80% finished. This has to be it.
I guess it depends on what sort of state that was in. Everyone knows the Monkey Island ones were sort of divisive (I fall on the side of better to have them than not, especially MI2), and I would think that Tim would only want to do it that way if he was happy with the art on the remake.

Otherwise, it might not be too bad a game to make from scratch. The number of locations is pretty small in comparison with some of the other games, it's definitely tighter as a design. Quite a bit of animation, but not a lot of bespoke art in cutscenes, I could see it being quite a manageable scope.

Though it's worth mentioning that in Oliver they have someone who worked on the Special Editions of MI1/2 on the technical side, so it's plausible that they'd take advantage of his knowledge to pick up where that project left off. Even if they do a lot of the work over.

DoubleFine couldn't even remake Grim Fandango from scratch. What makes you think they will make DOTT from scratch? Last time I checked, Double Fine doesn't have any traditional 2d animators.

The cancelled LucasArts remake was 80% finished. This has to be it.
I guess it depends on what sort of state that was in. Everyone knows the Monkey Island ones were sort of divisive (I fall on the side of better to have them than not, especially MI2), and I would think that Tim would only want to do it that way if he was happy with the art on the remake.

If Grim Fandango is anything to go by, this is likely to give respect to the original presentation. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how things pan out.

DoubleFine couldn't even remake Grim Fandango from scratch. What makes you think they will make DOTT from scratch? Last time I checked, Double Fine doesn't have any traditional 2d animators.

For a start, DF didn't want to make GF from scratch. Even if they'd had the budget to do that, I suspect that at most they would have recreated the existing scenes for widescreens and maybe redone the modelling a bit, but the whole idea was to recreate faithfully.

Secondly, when I say 'from scratch' I'm just talking about art assets. I'm not talking about coding the whole thing from scratch, that would be madness if they've already got something to work from.

Thirdly, they absolutely have staff who have worked in 2D animation, e.g. middle manager of justice. And even some of their current 3D animators will have got their start in 2D animation, I would expect. Aside from that, they've outsourced animation before, so why not again?

All I'm saying is that I don't think they would use the existing special edition assets unless they got the nod from Tim/the art team. And if it was just a matter of cleaning up the remaining 20% of the game, why would they give it to Double Fine? Why not just get an in-house team to work it up to a final release (I think they're using in-house sony people for some of GF, too) and just get Tim to record a commentary, like with MI2. It would seem like kinda a waste. Which is why I think there's a bit more too this than a patch up job.

If Grim Fandango is anything to go by, this is likely to give respect to the original presentation. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how things pan out.

Please note, it's called "Special Edition" not "Remastered" like GF is. There are elements that will be redone. A remaster of DOTT would be using the original sprites but with a new engine.

What REALLY piques my interest is what they'll do with the DOTT verbs. If they cut verbs, they will be roasted for it. If they leave the verbs in as text, hipsters will sneer.

Seems like a damned-if-you-do situation to me, but I guess if you need the money...

What REALLY piques my interest is what they'll do with the DOTT verbs. If they cut verbs, they will be roasted for it. If they leave the verbs in as text, hipsters will sneer.

Seems like a damned-if-you-do situation to me, but I guess if you need the money...

If this is indeed the version LucasArts was working on, then the verbs will be cut, like in the MI Special Editions.

But in the MI Special Editions, the verbs were "cut" but still necessary -- moved to a weird little pop-up window. Somehow I don't see Double Fine settling for such a lazy solution.

But who knows.

EDIT: Also, does anybody actually think that the new MI:SE graphics look good? The animations are terrible and it feels like an amateur modeler experimenting with Unity.

But in the MI Special Editions, the verbs were "cut" but still necessary -- moved to a weird little pop-up window. Somehow I don't see Double Fine settling for such a lazy solution.

But who knows.

EDIT: Also, does anybody actually think that the new MI:SE graphics look good? The animations are terrible and it feels like an amateur modeler experimenting with Unity.

MI(1) SE is not a masterpiece, it was more like a testing ground for the remakes so it jumpstarted the idea of bringing the old games we love to new computers with high resolution graphics and improved gameplay.

So MI:SE didn't have the best graphics and had some interface problems and it felt a bit rushed with questionable character designs, still it's fun to play and not that terrible to look at (I prefer it more than the old graphics/UI anyway - except for the close ups, the old close ups were great-).

Now, MI2:SE was great on all levels, it didn't have the problems it's predecessor had, so i really really REALLY hope DOTT:SE will be very close to MI2:SE, but i have the terrible feeling it will be an engine update with forced anti-alias (I hope I'm wrong).

Agreed that MI2:SE fixed a lot of the unbelievably bad problems that MI:SE introduced. It's a fantastic version of that game, if you ask me. I'm sure DF will not ruin the interface for DOTT, but if they're going full screen then the CMI interface is the one to mimic. Cycling through pictures of verbs, a la, Sam & Max Hit the Road, didn't do it for me.

Did I miss something? Isn't the image of Purple Tentacle from this new edition? It looks far sharper than the original.

Hoping this is closer to MI2: SE than MI1: SE, yeah MI1 had a lot of faults, things like dialogue pacing, music cues, etc, not to mention the art, oh damn the art, but when MI2 came around EVERYTHING felt bumped up and personally I find MI2: SE to have THE BEST point n click style around, the mouse rolling thing of usable verbs on items was genius and allowed to to get things done quickly. Character art is still a little off though, but background art (especially incorporating Bill Tiller-esque clouds into MI2) was great and the soundtrack was amazing, Dinky Island Beach sounded brilliant and I could just leave the game there for ages, not to mention props to the voice actors for voicing ALL of Guybrush's answers to Herman, and overall improved pacing in voice direction, Stan sounded great in MI2 and much closer to his CMI style.

Also, gotta give credit to Sony here, don't know what magic they're working with Disney to get these things back to Double Fine, but you gotta respect them for that, Grim Fandango Remastered isn't even out yet so they don't know if it was a worthy gamble but they got stuck in again and dragged DOTT out as well., here's hoping they also manage to pull Full Throttle too.

Did I miss something? Isn't the image of Purple Tentacle from this new edition? It looks far sharper than the original.

That's just fan art.

It's also noteworthy that none of the artwork from the cancelled DOTT remake by LucasArts has been leaked. They are keeping it under wraps for a reason.

As opposed to Star Wars 1313, which its artwork was leaked soon after its cancellation.

Good point. This is actually how i would like the game to look. Just cleaned up and polished a bit to be sharper and less jagged.

Yeah, people are silly. The originals exist and will always exist.

I welcome riffing on old games. People only object when it's phrased as "an improvement" -- it's obviously not an improvement, just an alternative.

Personally, I'm interested in a ton of possibilities for DOTT: remastered DOTT, 3D DOTT, DOTT in Maniac Mansion style, DOTT with an old Sierra parser, etc.

One of the coolest ideas I've never seen even an amateur attempt at is taking a Sierra/Lucas game and rebuilding it in the competing company's engine. Ideally this would be something like Full Throttle in Sierra's 1986 AGI parser engine or Manhunter: New York in a high-res hand-drawn CoMM style. But it could even be as simple as swapping Gabriel Knight and DOTT's interfaces to see how it affected gameplay. Personally, I'd add a bunch of sudden deaths to DOTT (falling in the river, letting Purple Tentacle win, etc.) and call it a day.

Yeah, people are silly. The originals exist and will always exist.

The problem is, it's not widely available. So yeah, hopefully the original version will be included (I own it and am happy running it through SCUMMVM, but it'd be great for a new audience to have access to it). Then if one doesn't like what they do with the "special" version, it's not really an issue.

Hopefully DF will soon clarify the extents they're going to on this "special edition", as these kind of terms are always quite broad!

I imagine there'll near-certainly be a way to switch back and forth between old and new. That's been a feature of every special edition/remaster so far, including Grim Fandango (which arguably needs it the least), so I can't imagine they'd leave it out this time.

Sign in to follow this