Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TimeGentleman

Day Of The Tentacle Special Edition

Coulda just asked ;P

I live for first hand experiences.

I glanced at this post, and I thought it said: "I live for hard experiences." I thought that would was a pretty rad response, when it was in my mind. Ha.

Smiles

I'll be disappointed if it's only a remaster job. The only real selling point would be fully orchestrated music. I'd just buy the soundtrack then.

Best news I have heard in a long time! Can't wait to play it! point and click adventure games are my single favorite genre in gaming as I grew up playing all of the classic adventure games. We actually used to have a competition in my family (between my 2 uncles, my 2 cousins and myself) on who would be the first to get all of the points in Sierra's adventure games. Getting 100% of the points is, still to this day, one of the most difficult things in all of gaming. Saying its extremely difficult is a massive understatement.

As for Day of the Tentacle, that is by far my single favorite adventure game. Every couple years I pull it out and play it again and it never gets old. I couldn't be more excited to see a special edition version coming to market. I for one do not subscribe to the idea that a remake can damage the quality or legacy of the original game. Even if the special edition totally sucks, it will never damage the original Day of the Tentacle. That is a finished game. Personally, I expect them to do a great job on the game. I hope they get around to doing this with all of the classic adventure games.

Best news I have heard in a long time! Can't wait to play it! point and click adventure games are my single favorite genre in gaming as I grew up playing all of the classic adventure games. We actually used to have a competition in my family (between my 2 uncles, my 2 cousins and myself) on who could get all of the points in Sierra's adventure games. Getting 100% of the points is, still to this day, one of the most difficult things in all of gaming. Saying its extremely difficult is a massive understatement.

As for Day of the Tentacle, that is by far my single favorite adventure game. Every couple years I pull it out and play it again and it never gets old.I couldn't be more excited to see a special edition version coming to market. I for one do not subscribe to the idea that a remake can damage the quality or legacy of the original game. Even if the special edition totally sucks, it will never damage the original Day of the Tentacle. That is a finished game is Personally, I expect them to do a great job on the game. I hope they get around to doing this will all of the classic adventure games.

Yeah agree!. i know this was the first game that made me wish i could like wipe my memory and play it like a total beginner again :P

Wouldn it be cool if there was like a second random mode with random puzzle and solutions, just for replayability.

People always talk about Deus Ex as the game you have to reinstall when someone mentions it, and while i agree, Day of the Tentacle is that sort of game for me as well :D

Best news I have heard in a long time! Can't wait to play it! point and click adventure games are my single favorite genre in gaming as I grew up playing all of the classic adventure games. We actually used to have a competition in my family (between my 2 uncles, my 2 cousins and myself) on who could get all of the points in Sierra's adventure games. Getting 100% of the points is, still to this day, one of the most difficult things in all of gaming. Saying its extremely difficult is a massive understatement.

As for Day of the Tentacle, that is by far my single favorite adventure game. Every couple years I pull it out and play it again and it never gets old.I couldn't be more excited to see a special edition version coming to market. I for one do not subscribe to the idea that a remake can damage the quality or legacy of the original game. Even if the special edition totally sucks, it will never damage the original Day of the Tentacle. That is a finished game is Personally, I expect them to do a great job on the game. I hope they get around to doing this will all of the classic adventure games.

Yeah agree!. i know this was the first game that made me wish i could like wipe my memory and play it like a total beginner again :P

Wouldn it be cool if there was like a second random mode with random puzzle and solutions, just for replayability.

People always talk about Deus Ex as the game you have to reinstall when someone mentions it, and while i agree, Day of the Tentacle is that sort of game for me as well :D

Yeah, that would be cool. Anything that gave you more time with the story and characters. Its just an amazing game, one that hits a home run on every level possible. Anytime I get a new computer, the very first thing I do, in regards to the installation of software, is get Scumm VM loaded and ready to go. I actually just purchased a new Macbook air on Black Friday and sure enough, the first thing I did was install Scumm VM and all of my favorite old school adventure games. Its like my American Express card, I just don't leave home without it!

What's amazing to me is just how healthy the adventure game genre is these days. For over a decade, adventure games were basically thought of as a dead genre. Yet for some reason, the genre just refused to die. And now, against all expectations, the genre is actually in a very healthy position. The resurgence of the adventure game genre has just been a remarkable thing to watch unfold. It just defied all logic and all expectations in this industry. I think a lot of that has to do with the overall level of passion that adventure game fans have for the genre. I enjoy all of the different genre's of video games, but I absolutely LOVE adventure games. Now if only someone would make a Zack McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders sequel, I could die a happy man.

I think it's also the rise of indie/classic gaming through platforms like Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle, etc. It's no longer necessary to have a giant publisher to make a good game, encouraging the growth of niche markets.

Also, all the people who were shut out of adventure gaming as kids because they weren't a big enough market are now grown up, rich, and eager to spend.

Also, all the people who were shut out of adventure gaming as kids because they weren't a big enough market are now grown up, rich, and eager to spend.
It definitely helps that there are adventure fans that grew up playing the LucasArts adventure games in high ranking positions at Sony and Lucasfilm. :)

I wonder if Double Fine is aware of this fan remake (in progress) of DoTT: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51117.0

I gotta admit i dont like it. Its to clean and sharp. It destroys some of the charm and style :S and the characters isnt right. I mean its definitely a good effort. But just making something highres isnt always the best option.

There is something something off for me, that instead of being in a world, looking at those screenshots i feel like im playing on a paint background.

It's worth noting that the LucasArts Special Edition that was allegedly "80% done" used a "pseudo-3D" artwork style. I'm guessing this means that the characters were modelled in 3D and then turned into 2D sprites. It doesn't sound like something I'd like to see, but I suppose it *might* have worked...?

I wonder if Double Fine is aware of this fan remake (in progress) of DoTT: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51117.0

They cleaned everything up too much. It's lost all its personality (and the characters have lost theirs, too). It's a great effort for some fans, but I'm hoping for a lot better for this SE.

It's worth noting that the LucasArts Special Edition that was allegedly "80% done" used a "pseudo-3D" artwork style. I'm guessing this means that the characters were modelled in 3D and then turned into 2D sprites. It doesn't sound like something I'd like to see, but I suppose it *might* have worked...?

They cleaned everything up too much. It's lost all its personality (and the characters have lost theirs, too). It's a great effort for some fans, but I'm hoping for a lot better for this SE.

I think the sprites could look good like that (maybe with a little extra shading going on), but the backgrounds, mm, no for the cartoon effect I feel they need to retain that handpainted feel for the backgrounds.

Here is a comparison

Scummvm original graphics

http://s23.postimg.org/c4lhegetn/dott_no_scaling.png

Scummvm 3x scaling

http://i.imgur.com/8hgg61a.png

Look at all the detail, the shading, it looks interesting it looks likes a world.

Fan Remake

http://i.imgur.com/BEPolQb.png

All the detail is gone, everything is clean and crisp, but something is lost. Instead of feeling like a world it now feels like a 2d piece of cardboard.

I definitely prefer 100% the scummvm. It looks better in every regard, and thats not just rose tainted glasses.

Obviously the fan remake is WIP, but it has a long way to go.

In general straight lines and perfect curves or circles just isnt very interesting to look at.

Wow, I knew it had been simplified, but that really illustrates the difference. No wonder I wasn't excited by it.

Also, FYI: You're original screenshot has a filter applied to it.

Wow, I knew it had been simplified, but that really illustrates the difference. No wonder I wasn't excited by it.

Also, FYI: You're original screenshot has a filter applied to it.

True, its scaled up to 1024x768 But it shows what you can do to the original game without losing the style.

Yeah, the big problem with those fan remake BG's is the lack of texturing. Overall they're 1:1 replicas of the originals, done with vectors I'd assume, but they still lack the final push to make them look really great. They're good workprint that need some more polish.

ohmigosh... this is my favorite game of all time.

Excuse me for a moment.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ahem

sorry. please continue.

[Mod edit: Cut this post down a bit to prevent the wrapping problem it was causing]

I think you broke the website there buddy. At least my page is all messed up now.

I think you broke the website there buddy. At least my page is all messed up now.

Day of the Tentacle

Break the Internet.

Sadly browsers don't automatically break overly long lines without natural break points in them :(

Overall they're 1:1 replicas of the originals, done with vectors I'd assume

They're missing a bunch of non-texture detail from the originals though, such as the stars seen between the trees in the background bubbles in the stream. To me, that stuff's losing a lot of character.

You're right though - a little polish would make that background a whole lot better.

Updated my post on page 3 with the original Day of the Tentacle graphics setting. Its actually amazing how much scummvm can improve it all things considered. and it still looks great imo. Not that the original looks bad :) But even then detail is definitely lost i gotta admit.

Updated my post on page 3 with the original Day of the Tentacle graphics setting. Its actually amazing how much scummvm can improve it all things considered. and it still looks great imo. Not that the original looks bad :) But even then detail is definitely lost i gotta admit.

I also prefer the original to that ScummVM overlay!

Who cares about a fan project? What are the official guys doing?

Something to talk about while we don't know what the official guys are doing, isn't it?

Could a moderator please do something about the post that broke the thread?

I think the fan version looks ok. I love pixel art and I can't really think of a way to improve on the original DOTT graphics. We all know that will probably look like Broken Age or a flash cartoon -- and then we'll test the real progressiveness of the DF fanbase. I look forward to the groans.

More importantly, I don't think anybody should be knocking a fan-made remake. They're passionate and work for sheer spiritual karma. They deserve applause even if they rebuild the game in stick figures.

Who cares about a fan project? What are the official guys doing?

Well i care about it. Its not like its bad or terrible work. Its just not as good as it could be. But it think its awesome that people like this are working on it. Double fine isnt even that big, i could see it as being possible that they would wanna work with some of these guys, be it for art or whatever.

Like they did with Grim Fandango, with the guy behind the point n click interface.

Could a moderator please do something about the post that broke the thread?

I think the fan version looks ok. I love pixel art and I can't really think of a way to improve on the original DOTT graphics. We all know that will probably look like Broken Age or a flash cartoon -- and then we'll test the real progressiveness of the DF fanbase. I look forward to the groans.

More importantly, I don't think anybody should be knocking a fan-made remake. They're passionate and work for sheer spiritual karma. They deserve applause even if they rebuild the game in stick figures.

I wish I could know things well in advance of having information.

Let me try...

It won't look like Broken Age - because that's an entirely different art style and the point of these projects is to preserve the game we remember, with some modern enhancements, rather than try anything too spicy with the art style. Also, from the Polygon article:

The game will be in 2D and will stay true to the Chuck Jones cartoon-inspired visuals of the 1993 original.

"We'll add a couple pixels here and there," Schafer said. "We're not going to go 3D."

Of course, it will probably be more than a couple of pixels - that's an exaggeration, but the intent is clearly not to make major changes to how the game looks.

And I don't think it'll look like a flash game either, because DF have always taken great care over the visual presentation of their work, and I don't think any art director there would be satisfied turning out something that looks cheaper than the original.

I could be wrong, of course, but we certainly don't all "know that will probably look like Broken Age or a flash cartoon"

Well, first, it's a trick question. But I'll get to that later. If I was taking the question at face value:

I think Curse of Monkey Island counts. It's not high res by today's standards but I definitely feel like it would look great up-rezzed.

Machinarium looks great and IS a flash game although is clearly in a different style.

But as I was saying, it's a trick question, in the first place. There just -aren't- that many high res 2d adventure games in comparison with 3D and low-res 2D adventure games. For so many reasons...

a) There are just fewer adventure games in general, and the ones that exist tend to be lower budget.

b) There aren't a ton of larger publisher funded adventure games floating around, and they're the ones that would be most likely to have a budget for high res 2D art.

c) The lower budget ones usually use pixel art, mainly for budget reasons (as Dave Gilbert once tweeted at me). I love pixel art too, but acknowledge that often it's as much a practical choice as it is an artistic one.

d) Other ones have gone with 3D, which is of course an increasingly viable option in the time that high res graphics have become commonplace.

I don't think there's any concievable reason why a team couldn't take the art style of DOTT, recreate it in higher resolution while retaining the qualities that made it look good. There don't seem to be many good looking high res 2D adventure games at the moment doesn't strike me as a compelling reason that it can't be done.

Yeah, I kind of figured anybody who responded to my question would provide 1) Curse of Monkey Island, 2) LSL7 [on this forum??], or 3) a flash game.

Anyway, I guess we'll see. I'll admit that Curse was truly beautiful.

Sign in to follow this