Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

This is a thing!

I wish we a knew a little more about what's planned.

I speculated elsewhere that it could be that they're waiting to see how GF does before deciding on a scope for this one. If GF:R is a big hit, that might buy them more time to work on this. Otherwise, they might take a simpler approach to the remaster.

I hope they'll keep the original voices =) ! I love this game, it's the first game I finished on my own, so much memories !

Did they contacted lucasart to get what they had done before disney canceled the project ?

I speculated elsewhere that it could be that they're waiting to see how GF does before deciding on a scope for this one. If GF:R is a big hit, that might buy them more time to work on this. Otherwise, they might take a simpler approach to the remaster.

Well I think it's worth noting that this isn't a "Remaster", it's a "Special Edition"... So whatever that means, it's at least different from GF:R, but we'll see.

I hope they'll keep the original voices =)
If Lucasarts archives kept the master recordings that should be pretty easy. Gabriel Knight's remaster had to do new voices because the originals were not kept by Activision and the CD release had compressed them so much there was no way to restore them from that and not sound terrible on new audio middleware (and trying to hack the old middleware into Unity and modern sound cards would have been pretty much impossible).

Well I think it's worth noting that this isn't a "Remaster", it's a "Special Edition"... So whatever that means, it's at least different from GF:R, but we'll see.

My hunch on that is that they just knew there was less they could do with GF. They were limited by the assets they could get hold of, because recreating the assets for that game from scratch would have been a pretty enormous task. On the other hand, it's pretty clear that they'll be reworking quite a lot of the assets for DOTT - they'll need to record the music, redo all the sprites in high rez, probably the backgrounds too at a minimum, I would say, so it's more than a simple layer of polish on what's already there. I think that's probably how they make the distinction between Remaster and Special Edition.

I just like to call it a remaster because I get the impression that the idea with DF's approach to these is to preserve these games rather than reinvent them. The problem with MI1:SE in particular is that they changed the art style to something else. Probably because being older, MI1's style still not quite so firmly defined as the style of their later games. It was kinda realistic-but-not-really, while MI2 was immediately more distinctive and so easier to imitate in HD. DOTT is incredibly stylistic, of course, so they'll want to recreate that faithfully, I'm certain.

But yeah, it'd be good to know how far they're going to go.

I cannot believe you've stolen my honour of having started the main DOTT:SE thread, KestralPi!

Yeah? Well I can't believe it took you this long to follow me on Twitter! So we're even. ;)

Actually seriously now the thread from before has been moved over, it might make sense to merge/delete this one.

I expect something similar to Monkey Island Special Edition.

Sign in to follow this