Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cecil

Day of the Tentacle was released in 1993, have we gotten anything like it since?

The original version of Day of the Tentacle was released in 1993.

That's quite some time ago.

So what's the closest thing to a similar wacky graphical adventure we have gotten since that? Is there anything in the same style?

I always sort of lumped it with Sam and Max, those games felt similar graphically to me at the time, but I see the differences more nowadays.

There was that Toonstruck game, but I don't think that was anywhere near as stylistically successful.

In terms of the gameplay, DOTT is very interestingly structured. I can't think of many other adventure games that let you access 2/3 of the locations of the game almost from the start, and the whole thing not very far into the puzzle solving, and then just lets you have at the puzzles until everything comes together. It's quite masterful in that way and very different from the usual 3-4 act structure that most of the LucasArts games took.But I'm not sure you're talking about that.

DOTT really was a bit of a masterpiece. The storyline, gameplay, and puzzles all came together in the most satisfying and enjoyable way. Possible more so than any other LucasArts title (although SOMI remains my favourite, and will do forever more). Sam & Max had plenty of terrible puzzles that made it very annoying to play. Full Throttle had a few bad puzzles, those action sequences, and was pretty short (still wonderful, though). The Dig, well... The Dig. CMI was also fantastic, but the ending was cruelly cut short, and it feels like it. The earlier titles had their rough edges, too -- although I love them as well.

DOTT really was incredibly successful at what it set out to do, IMO. Two great designers at the top of their game (not that GF wasn't brilliant, too).

Mm, I find DOTT very interesting in terms of where it sits in the whole catalogue.

It's not my favourite adventure game, and I think a lot of that is to do with that it's mired in a lot of US cultural references which at the time I first played it I really had no knowledge of, and on top of that, it's a pretty story light game. The future is doomed, 3 people travel to 3 different times and have to get back to the same time in order to fix it. Nothing of importance really happens in the middle, just at the start and end (which I guess is why they intersperse the action with those newspaper headlines instead of longer cutscenes). Not really a criticism, as such, more like I prefer more story heavy adventures, I think.

And yet...

I find it difficult to deny that as a coherent vision that is executed on really well, it's an unequivocal success (and bear in mind the above paragraph is in the context of 'I still love this game!'). That it's indeed something of a masterpiece. If I need to reach for an example of than more often than not I'll reach for DOTT, as it provides a very solid framework around which one can discuss, say, puzzles. I sort of think of it as Adventure Games: The Adventure Game.

@CecilRousso

You could play one of those Sierra adventure games. Nah, wait, just kidding ... no one (should) ever feel this desperate.

There are tons of cartoony adventure games out there. As far as the "Wacky Golden Age Cartoon" aesthetic, Toonstruck is the only other adventure game that fits.

Toonstruck pulled the style off more successfully than DOTT. Unfortunately, its puzzles were frustratingly hard and had a lot more adult humor. Its story was also unfinished so the game ended on a cliffhanger. DOTT is a much more polished game.

Day of the Tentacle is definitely my all time favorite. The humor, the story, the locations, at first you think its just the mansion in 3 time periods. but man did they do a lot with it. Im still amazed, and the amount of amazing silly characters you meet. its one of my favorite games in terms of time travel as well. i feel like it was well used both for story and gameplay mechanics. Flushing things down the toilet as it were.

I really want a sequel to Day of the Tentacle some day, that would be hilarious

Spoiler if you havent played Day of the tentacle below!..

Purple tentacle was mailed to syberia!, and we still gotta fix the freaking flag! United States of America with a tentacle flag.

Aside from Sam & Max, I can't think of any other adventure games that basically plagiarized Saturday morning cartoons... Hmmm...

Sierra's Pepper's Adventures in Time is not nearly as funny, but it is a cartoony adventure set in a wacky colonial America ;) It's also very educational!

There are tons of cartoony adventure games out there.

So which ones are the best from them, that's anywhere near the quality of DoTT?

In terms of the gameplay, DOTT is very interestingly structured. I can't think of many other adventure games that let you access 2/3 of the locations of the game almost from the start, and the whole thing not very far into the puzzle solving, and then just lets you have at the puzzles until everything comes together. It's quite masterful in that way and very different from the usual 3-4 act structure that most of the LucasArts games took.But I'm not sure you're talking about that.

It is. Puzzle and game structure is just as important as the graphical style, something few developers of games in the genre seem to take notice of, except for DF.

Hmmm, a cartoony, wacky, time-travelling adventure game? I'm sure there's been at least one since then, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Hmmm, a cartoony, wacky, time-travelling adventure game? I'm sure there's been at least one since then, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Let us know if it comes to you.

Are you thinking of Telltale's BACK TO THE FUTURE series? I wouldn't call that cartoony or wacky myself...

Are you thinking of Telltale's BACK TO THE FUTURE series? I wouldn't call that cartoony or wacky myself...

It's probably one of the game that's closest to DoTT still. A bit more like a matinee adventure then a wacky cartoon, but still. Quite descent also.

But I wouldn't say that time travellings is required for a game to be close to DoTT. It's always better to be similiar to something, then to be a copycat. :)

Another game which delivers to perfection that kind of open design scheme is Toonstruck -- it's as good as DoTT in that regard, when I first solved its puzzles I was amazed.

It's probably one of the game that's closest to DoTT still. A bit more like a matinee adventure then a wacky cartoon, but still. Quite descent also.

But I wouldn't say that time travellings is required for a game to be close to DoTT. It's always better to be similiar to something, then to be a copycat. :)

I was just teasing TimeGentleman... He co-created two awesomely funny adventure games that fit the description:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/37400/

:)

I was just teasing TimeGentleman... He co-created two awesomely funny adventure games that fit the description:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/37400/

:)

So I did! Thanks for the shameless plug, TP!

(Malleys - I hadn't put together that it was you who did that fan art. Good job!)

EDIT: a little illustration of how similar TGP is to DOTT! (warning: contains a swear)

http://i.imgur.com/fa81R7y.png

In the mid 1990s the lesser known company "7th Level" developed a few games that had a similar atmosphere and style of cartoony, slapstick humour to DOTT, although they didn't focus on the adventure game genre. I mostly became interested in the company for their Monty Python games, but they did a few others too.

They created the Ace Ventura point and click adventure game. So I guess that one comes close. It was a lot more linear than DOTT in terms of gameplay, as there were often only one or two puzzles you could work on at a time before progressing to the next stage and I think I remember it having some mini-games too?

Another game of theirs was Arcade America, which was very cartoony and quirky. That was a platform game though, with some adventure/puzzle elements, which involved the protagonist on a road trip from LA to Woodstock. Worth a mention though, especially as it makes references to events in American history (the Founding Fathers make an appearance - but in the form of a talking Mount Rushmore - and a few other historical events are noted, in their respective locations).

There was another game they created, which I've only played the demo of, called Battle Beast, which was a combat-style game involving cutesy cartoon animals that could change into Transformers-esque robots. Had a lot less in common with DOTT compared to Ace Ventura or Arcade America, but it was another one of their cartoony games.

I don't know if anyone here remembers these games or the company? Like I said, they have similar visuals to DOTT (cartoony atmosphere with exaggerated character expressions and lots of slapstick) but are different in terms of gameplay.

DOTT was my second game on first PC I had.First was POP but that wasn't adventure.

I've never heard of that before... How is that possible? Is it any good?

I remember it being quite decent, with some similarities to Sam & Max Hit the Road. I've been doing some reasearch and the game appears to be quite rare indeed, the game seems to have vanished from the internet. I may have a boxed copy of it, I need to look around!

At least visually Chewy: Esc from F5 is very similar. Never played it though, so I don't know how similar it is content-wise.

315_1.jpg

315_3.jpg

07.jpg

I remember it being quite decent, with some similarities to Sam & Max Hit the Road. I've been doing some reasearch and the game appears to be quite rare indeed, the game seems to have vanished from the internet. I may have a boxed copy of it, I need to look around!

I've had a german version of it, but the only way for me to really play it is on one of my old crappy laptops since newer video cards have issues playing the extremely low resolution. even on the crappy laptop, there's some really weird coloring and performance issues.

If you ever come across a way to actually play it smoothly, let me know. I tried using a virtual machine but that didn't prove successful (at least for me).

I've had a german version of it, but the only way for me to really play it is on one of my old crappy laptops since newer video cards have issues playing the extremely low resolution. even on the crappy laptop, there's some really weird coloring and performance issues.

If you ever come across a way to actually play it smoothly, let me know. I tried using a virtual machine but that didn't prove successful (at least for me).

A ScummVM engine for the Duckman adventure is being worked on now. It hasn't been added to the main branch though, so it's not playable yet. Hopefully it will be soon.

I'm thinking Pink Panther: Passport to Peril and its sequel Pink Panther: Hokus Pokus Pink.

Both of them came out after DOTT and are a little whacky. Pretty fun too!

Sign in to follow this