Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Brad

Hybrid Preview!

Hey dudes! I wanted to just stop in here and say hi! :D!

The team and I have been hard at work on the hero hybrid classes. It's coming along really well! We're planning to have an on-stream preview of all of our work really soon, with a release shortly after that!

Thanks for all of the comments. It's really encouraging!

Brad!

I like the sound of this. Hybrids I think are really going to shake-up the dynamics, so it will be nice to finally get everything in there. I wonder how soon "soon" is! :D

Look forward to it.

Smiles

Brad posted this on Steam discussion earlier today...

Random Person:

Is this just going to be like the Training Roulette from Xcom:EU?

Brad:

This is NOT like Training Roulette from XCOM! There are tons of new skills that are custom to hybrids! A lot of them are variations of existing skills, adapted for a different class. For example Caberjack/Alchemists (name pending!) get an Exploding Caber skill that allows them to do melee damage in a conical AoE around a target.

We'll have more info on these soon! :D!

Smiles

Brad posted this on Steam discussion earlier today...

Random Person:

Is this just going to be like the Training Roulette from Xcom:EU?

Brad:

This is NOT like Training Roulette from XCOM! There are tons of new skills that are custom to hybrids! A lot of them are variations of existing skills, adapted for a different class. For example Caberjack/Alchemists (name pending!) get an Exploding Caber skill that allows them to do melee damage in a conical AoE around a target.

We'll have more info on these soon! :D!

Smiles

Wooo, that is exactly what I've been waiting to hear about the hybrid classes. (that, and if we acquire them by just breeding heroes of different basic classes together)

I wonder if any of them will get skills that are completely unique, and not just variations? Or how much the new skills will change up the combat mechanics for those classes, altogether. Can't wait to see!

Just curious about something as I'm sure there is a good logical reason behind this:

Why weren't the hybrid classes implemented before all the fine-tuning of game balance took place?

Just curious about something as I'm sure there is a good logical reason behind this:

Why weren't the hybrid classes implemented before all the fine-tuning of game balance took place?

The three main classes are the baseline. Hybids share stats and some skills with these classes.

The devs wanted to get a starting point ready before working on the Hybrids, so they aimed to balance the main classes before even starting on the Hybrids.

I get that, but won't the new classes disrupt the overall game balance and require additional work to recover from that?

I get that, but won't the new classes disrupt the overall game balance and require additional work to recover from that?

Sure they will, but doing it this way makes it so that there will be less of these balance issues, and they can deliver an enjoyable game beta earlier than they could have with the Hybrids included. Designing the new classes will just be easier when they have the main classes to work from, so they left it to late in the developement.

For anything more specific, I'm not the one with the answers.

Super excited that these classes are coming out sooner than planned. Can't wait to playtest with new tactics!

Read the backer update, and that sounds really awesome.

Any thoughts about making it a bit less deterministic than always being a regent/partner hybrid, though?

The game has a strong tendency to produce clumping of classes. This happens both randomly due to a small number of breeders at the start of the game and the vagaries of combat deaths and genetics (esp. fertility), and also because the game provides strong mechanical incentives to breed more of the heroes you've had more success with lest you fall behind the level curve.

Clearly, managing this clumping is something the player is intended to manage- although thus far I haven't found that I've been punished much in my current game for having basically bred out everything but hunters. (in fact, I'm butchering the cadence so far)

I'm excited about hybrid classes as a way to mix up the skills made available to me and add more variety to my combats, but how about taking it a step further?

Say, when you have a kid, imagine if you got a class with the following probabilities:

40% regent/partner hybrid (purebred if same)

20% partner/regent hybrid (purebred if same)

20% purebred regent

10% purebred partner

10% random purebred class

Bloodlines will still tend to breed true-ish: You'll end up with 63.3% children who maintain the regent's primary class, 33.3% children who get the partner's primary class, and a remote 3.3% chance of getting an odd shot at getting something completely different. (I might even suggest having Rebel kids shift those odds in favor of the third option. Hybrid classes will still strictly show what the parents were.

However, you'll have a wider variety of classes in combat and also some room for bloodline class migration over time.

I think it would be too confusing to convey what was going on. I like the certainty of this, and it means it'll encourage the player to find ways to play differently when they find a new kind of match that seems to be advantageous, trait-wise.

Would it? I know I'm not the only player who was actively surprised during my first couple of games that literally every child took the regent's class, instead of merely being influenced by a combination of the regent and partner's classes. That's counter-intuitive. The fact that children are likely to but do not always take after their parents is something we expect.

The traits in this game already work in a similar fashion, and I don't think any of us are sitting around scratching our head and saying "hey, why isn't my kid a carbon copy of the regent's traits?" Classes being influenced by a mix of the parents with a little bit of drift would be no more confusing than that.

Would it? I know I'm not the only player who was actively surprised during my first couple of games that literally every child took the regent's class, instead of merely being influenced by a combination of the regent and partner's classes. That's counter-intuitive. The fact that children are likely to but do not always take after their parents is something we expect.

The traits in this game already work in a similar fashion, and I don't think any of us are sitting around scratching our head and saying "hey, why isn't my kid a carbon copy of the regent's traits?" Classes being influenced by a mix of the parents with a little bit of drift would be no more confusing than that.

What you describe I think makes person sense for traits. ;) I like the way it works for class. :)

Smiles

The problem is Relics. Relics are weapons. You can only use a weapon if you have the right primary class. If the class bloodline could change, your bloodline could lose the ability to use their own relics and that would be terrible.

Sign in to follow this