Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

Pre-ordering

I'm not sure it's in Sony's interest to allow pre-ordering. They'll want to encourage Playstation owners to wait for versions to come out on those platforms.

If it comes with extras like an artbook or the OST I'm SO gonna get it

And if It doesn't I'm gonna buy it too, who am I kidding.

I'm pre-ordering it, whatever the price, and whatever comes with it. I've waited too damn long for Grim Fandango... should we check steam for the pre-order or here, on forums?

Just a wallpaper as goodie? well that's lame...

Edit: and the GOG version is only in english!! why?

Can anyone tell me please if the game will be translated into Spanish?.

I´ve seen the preorder in GOG, but only audio and text in English.

Thanks !!

If it's not in Steam it's not anywhere in the world.

Ah. ;)

Thanks to DF for the nod to the actual indie spirit instead of putting cement into the valve dependie impression that loomed throughout 2014.

Yes, I know, I know, Valve advises against setting up preorders, and I also know why they do that; it's OK, it's intelligent from a business standpoint, and I still interpret it as a nod that preorders are going live on GOG first.

Yikes, DRM-free all the way!

The inevitable anti-Steam comment from The Milkman :) Hello!

Heralding a DRM free release equals "anti-Steam"? I don't concur!

And hello again, Milkman! Are you even allowed to order from GOG?? ;)

I would like to hear Double Fine about a Steam version, I don't want to buy the game twice...well I already did, bought the old retail version and the new retail version, but if I have to buy 2 digital copies of it, at least I want to gift one :D

I would like to hear Double Fine about a Steam version, I don't want to buy the game twice...well I already did, bought the old retail version and the new retail version, but if I have to buy 2 digital copies of it, at least I want to gift one :D

Dunther, a PC game developer who doesn't release on Steam is dead the very next day.

Valve advises their business clients against setting up pre-orders for a very striking reason: the peak in sales on the first day enables the developer to get into the "Steam charts", i.e. the literal shopping list of their more undecided customers.

In essence, no preorders = more sales.

OF COURSE you are getting your Steam version!

If it's not on Steam, I will buy and consume a sombrero.

Anyway, also worth watching that video, if only to hear the first of the orchestrated music from the game. Sounds wonderful!

Dunther, a PC game developer who doesn't release on Steam is dead the very next day.

Valve advises their business clients against setting up pre-orders for a very striking reason: the peak in sales on the first day enables the developer to get into the "Steam charts", i.e. the literal shopping list of their more undecided customers.

Still would like to pre-order it on Steam :P or at least see the page there! Knowing if there will be achievements, cards and stuff like that :D

Confused... Why don't Steam just count pre-orders as Day One sales. That's essentially what they are.

Just pre-ordered it! : D I'm so happy.

And if it comes to steam I'm pre-ordering/buying it again

Confused... Why don't Steam just count pre-orders as Day One sales.

That would be extremely good for day one, but rather abysmal for day two onwards, don't you think? ;)

That would be extremely good for day one, but rather abysmal for day two onwards, don't you think? ;)

But that's how it works for shops. If you pre-order something in a shop, you don't get it until the day it's released. Everyone else has to pick it up on the day, or subsequent days. Whatever problem is trying to be solved here, Valve recommending that people DON'T offer pre-orders does not seem like the best solution.

But that's how it works for shops. If you pre-order something in a shop, you don't get it until the day it's released. Everyone else has to pick it up on the day, or subsequent days. Whatever problem is trying to be solved here, Valve recommending that people DON'T offer pre-orders does not seem like the best solution.

Preorders generally don't make sense for digital sales, though. When you buy at a retail shop, you purchase some form of physical merchandise, even if it's a Steam key on a card; there will be limited quantities of those items. When you buy a digital copy, a la Steam, no such physical limitation of quantity exists--you never have to worry about Steam "running out" of inventory. The only time preorders might make sense is when preloading will be available, which is rare these days, and, if the data is encrypted anyway, like in the old days of Valve releases, you should be able to preload before purchasing the game.

Sign in to follow this