Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bdavisshannon

Sagewrights. What are they good for?

I thought I'd post this to get other people's perspectives.

I'm finishing up my third game and I simply don't find the sagewrights guild a worthwhile investment. I didn't before the last patch and I certainly don't now that the bonuses to research speed are lower. Does anyone find that sagewrights guilds significantly impact their game? I've found that I can get all the research I need done unless I mismanaged the bloodlines and need to do a lot of recruiting and adopting.

Right now, I agree that you're likely to get all the research you want by the end of the game unless you end up restricted by Cadence corpses somehow. (And even that seems unlikely.) The bigger question is how well you're keeping up in the mid-game. Being able to get all of your armor and accessories by Year 250 does you little good if you're in Year 100 and haven't started any of it.

You're right in that the Guild's research boost is relatively minor, and in light of the last patch upping the building time and cutting the research bonus, I'd never build more than 1. On the other hand, at some point, you don't need more Crucibles or Keeps either, and you'll end up with a bunch of junk heroes that aren't good for anything else. In light of that, having a Guild is a bit of a luxury, but it's an affordable one that uses up a resource you already end up with a surplus of.

Well, I've never run into a problem because of a lack of research. If I get armor by the midgame, then I'm fine. And that's with recruiting, building, etc. I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has found the research to be a critical or difficult part of the game.

So far, the research periods have impacted me more in the early game, when you need to build to ~three keeps, research armor before bulwarks start appearing, get health potions, and oh yeah: that 25 year commitment to improving recruited hero levels..

After that it's just leisurely researching other items and armor and weapons.

At any rate, a single guild with three decent sagewrights tends to knock a year off whatever I'm researching; it's not much, but these are almost always the infertile heroes who were going to sit in my roster unused until they die, anyways, so.. maybe with multiple guilds it will make more of a difference?

You can also use them to force a relic to pass on early, though that is obviously a pretty small benefit, only useful in some situations and only where you have left free spots in your guild.

I use at least one Sagewright's guild all the time, because that 'extra' savings in research time is used to experiment with one or two random/new items each run.

I think the biggest difficulty with research as it currently stands, is that very few players will get to experience the good/bad side of most of the research options. There are quite a few items that I've never seen fit to even attempt because the penalty is so massive if you find the item is useless to you.

I don't have time to play a dozen 'experimental' runs, just to see what those things actually do. I get that there is some fun in the vague descriptions that we get right now for the items, but it is hard to justify wasting research time on things when you have not idea what the true result will be, particularly when there is no possible way to research 'everything' right now.

Once the game gets to production, and the balance is stable, I doubt I will continue to use them, unless we get more item slots, which would make it possible to actually utilize more items.

It would be interesting to hear what research people actually think they need in the game.

Recruit/Adopt/Build are clearly necessary.

I've also found that Refined Armor is a definite with Advanced being a given for at least your dominant classes.

Beyond that . . . other items add interesting strategic opportunities, but I can get through the game easily without them (although I love the skipping stone).

*trying to sing it* Actually... arm-mors. Huh!

... I feel they definitely help in the first 100 years, getting the base armor upgrade for each class, the healing potions, and the magical underwear.

Sign in to follow this