Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ryan N

Any way to restart with no unlocked cave paintings?

Just wondering if anyone knows a way to restart The Cave with no unlocked cave paintings (PC steam version)? I'd love to play through the game again now that it's been a couple years, but each time I start a new game they're all still unlocked from last time, even though I installed the game on a new machine (offline mode makes no difference either). It's a shame as the parallel metaphorical and literal storylines were one of my favourite parts of the game.

Any help would be grand. Cheers!

You can achieve that by editing the 'unlocks.sav' file, though I recommend taking a backup of it first. There's a variable 'CavePaintingsSeen' in there that looks like this when you've unlocked all cave paintings:

CavePaintingsSeen={Hillbilly=[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12];Scientist=[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12];TimeTraveler=[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12];Knight=[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12];Monk=[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12];Adventurer=[1,2,4,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12];Twins=[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12];}

Removing numbers from it removes the corresponding cave painting in-game. (Remember to remove redundant commas.) On Linux systems the file is located in "~/.local/share/doublefine/thecave/[your steamID64 (a long number)/", but I'm not sure where that would be if you're on Windows or Mac.

Of course there's a potential achievement exploit in this, but I don't think that's of much concern now, almost 2 years after release.

Probably. Or rename it just in case. It's not empty on a fresh install of the game though, and I didn't test that.

EDIT: I just tested it and what happens is that it loads your progress from Steam Cloud. So if you do that, you'll have to turn off sync the first time you play.

Thanks so much flesk and ThunderPeel! Problem solved.

I ended up needing to delete both unlocks.sav and auto.sav and starting the game in offline mode, as I was getting error messages about incompatible save files each time the game tried to update something otherwise. So now it's just like starting up the game for the first time, which is perfect.

Sign in to follow this