Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

Here's a nice Double Fine positive to focus on

What with DF-9 dev not getting the time it wanted, the cancellation of a secret project and subsequent layoffs, and even I guess the delay of Broken Age Act II (though I have difficulty seeing the negative in that, personally), there's been a patch of bummer news for DF.

But we have some good stuff to look forward to, too. There's GF: Remastered next month, and the follow up project to make a special edition of DOTT recently announced, of course.

And we all realised that with the staff numbers of DF there were likely going to be other projects on the go. Now we can put a number to them!

pstvs.PNG

Is Day of the Tentacle Special Edition secret?

Probably it will be handled by the Grim Fandango team.

Is Day of the Tentacle Special Edition secret?

Probably it will be handled by the Grim Fandango team.

I doubt that's included in the secrets, since it has been announced. It probably doesn't count yet because it's unlikely to be in production yet. So I think it's 2 things we haven't heard of.

Double Fine isn't the kind of company to roll over and die because of a single poorly recieved game and a deal with a potential publisher falling through, that's for sure.

I'm curious to find out what these secret projects will be, though. \:)

My money is on Full Throttle, since he clarified later that one of the secret projects was DotT:SE.

a deal with a potential publisher falling through

I'm probably missing something, but what happened?

I have a feeling the other project is either

-Something entirely new

-Something from Amnesia Fortnight

-A sequel

but not another remaster.

-Something entirely new

-A sequel

Bad Golf 4! Bad Golf 4!

-Something entirely new

-A sequel

Bad Golf 4! Bad Golf 4!

Ha- Rather unlikely though; Mr. Hackett no longer works at Double Fine (having left to start his own company with Drew Skillman

Psychonauts 2!

To dream the impossible dream

To fight the unbeatable foe

To bear with unbearable sorrow

To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong

To love pure and chaste from afar

To try when your arms are too weary

To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest

To follow that star

No matter how hopeless

No matter how far

To fight for the right

Without question or pause

To be willing to march into Hell

For a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true

To this glorious quest

That my heart will lie peaceful and calm

When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this

That one man, scorned and covered with scars

Still strove with his last ounce of courage

To reach the unreachable star

I'd like Black Lake, Dear Leader, Steed (though this doesn't seem likely now that Burnhelm is gone), and a few other items...

Smiles

I'd like Black Lake, Dear Leader, Steed (though this doesn't seem likely now that Burnhelm is gone), and a few other items...

Smiles

Why not? If Popcap can lay off George Fan and then aggressively capitalize on PvZ without its original designer, well then! Who are we to judge???

#Business #SteedsVsZombies

(I kid)

Not so sure about Steed. I think that they would need a pretty big budget to make that worthwhile, and I can't see it big big seller. I think Black Lake could be the same.

Dear Leader is a really interesting concept that I hope they do more with.

And the usual request - Please do an episodic Psychonauts. :)

Wouldn't say no to The Cave 2 either.

a deal with a potential publisher falling through

I'm probably missing something, but what happened?

The primary cause for the recent 12-person layoff was that a secret project had to be cancelled, due to the prospective publisher of said project flaking out on Double Fine. I don't think we ever found out what game it was going to be or who the publisher was, but it's very sad all around. (and there are people citing it as a negative against Double Fine, when that's 100% the Publisher's fault?)

With neither that extra money or anything else for the twelve to work on at the moment, they had to let them go. :(

2015 is already looking really good; Grim, the completion of Broken Age, Massive Chalice.

DF has been so inclusive of its fans in the last two years, my appreciation of them has really increased. Being an independent and experimental company is about the most dangerous thing you can be in this industry, and my figurative hat is off to each and every one of them.

:note to self, buy a hat:

I guess DOTT was one of them after all. Still there's one to go!

ornot.PNG

I hope it's Steed, because that is such an appealing idea. The idea feels so much like a DF game in both it's overall spirit and also the buddy comedy potential it has . :D

Maybe with a publisher because that game could be a Large project if it's open world like the idea looked in AF. I would love if DF found a good way to scale it down, so it could stay completely in-house and maybe instead have a go at DLC (which I personally don't hate, it's all about pricing things correctly). Agile game releasing. :-)

Sign in to follow this