Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Goofygod

Buy it Now? or Wait till the next Patch?

Hello Massive Chalice players,

Name's Goofy and i was wondering if is should, Buy the game now or wait till the Hybrid Patch comes out. I would like to know some of your options on the game now and if it would be smart decision to get familiar with the game. I have read some frustrating forums from other players which makes me hesitant about the game. So please let a newbie like me know what I'm getting into.

Thanks n_n

In general, I'd say watch some recent Lets Plays or Twitch / Steam broadcasts, to get a sense of it. If you are on the fence, then I suggest waiting. If you feel like there is enough for you to have fun and struggle with, then hop in.

Smiles

It feels like it could just be finished with a few bugs. there will probably be some more when the hybrids come but otherwise i can certainly recommend as a "full" game even though it is stil in EA.

otherwise smiles has a point here.

It feels like it could just be finished with a few bugs. there will probably be some more when the hybrids come but otherwise i can certainly recommend as a "full" game even though it is stil in EA.

otherwise smiles has a point here.

I love the game, but at this point I'd wait until these last few features make it in the game. Personally, I played through once when all the backers were let in, and now I'm trying to hold off until official release.

Do you enjoy watching games develop and having the opportunity to provide feedback? Then get it now.

Do you want the best gaming experience you can have on the first time through? Then wait.

I would totally buy it now. :D!

(ok I'm totally biased but yeah you should totally buy it now! :D!)

Haha. While I agree with with Brad for myself, I think smiles makes the best point. Look at a Let's Play and you'll know whether its worth playing right now for you. I suggest searching YouTube for nerdsworthacademy.

I'm actually not sure the Let's Plays are the best promotion, as most of them are playing for the very first time and have NO IDEA what they're doing in combat. The couple I saw boiled down to "I like the art style. How do I overwatch? Oh look at that creature it looks so cool. Oops my alchemist flask missed. What, I can set up bloodlines, that's so cool!"

I'd say, if you like turn based strategies and are willing to stick with one long enough to learn how to play well, then get Massive Chalice whenever (and at whatever current price) you're interested. The hybrid class patch is only a few weeks away, and the game's combat strategies will REALLY be interesting after that!

Let's Play I saw was tedious, perhaps I choose the wrong. The game was more fun than what I saw.

BUT it's still rough game, and expect frustration when discovering the game. The problem is the difficulty isn't well tuned nor well mastered versus the random during the first parts.

There's 3 parts:

- The beginning which starts very cool but with third combat starts a phase mainly frustrating. I go over this phase through, firstly some quick tries to try discover bases (but the rules ingame info is lacking), secondly get over some fights with multiple save and reload. The random can influence a lot this part and make it even more rude.

- The very large middle, once you get heroes level 3/4 there's a large part that is normal difficulty, not too easy but nothing difficult. This part ends in last years of the second century.

- Then the last part, the difficulty rise up a bit, but not as the beginning because now you should have plenty tools. That part is in middle of normal hard and normal relatively challenging.

It's a coming great game (I hope) not fully great yet, even if the combats have already a lot of fun. So either you want take the risk and it can worth it, either you wait play the final, I hope, great game. First choice is more if you want try participate to Early Access or just support (blindly) the project. Otherwise wait the final relase and first patches past release to then, perhaps, play a future classic.

If you're on the fence, I'd say give it until the next patch. It's going to be the biggest yet, and is quite a big content update. The game is already fun, but this will take it close to feature-complete, and may well be a good time to come in. If still unsure, then you can always give it until spring, by then the remaining issues and balance should have been figured out.

Thank You Everyone!!

I very much appreciate all of the feedback you guys gave me. I have seen some of the let's play and other Massive Chalice videos on youtube as well as twitch, But even in some of those people say to wait. So since we are so close to Christmas, buying a gift for myself just wouldn't feel right. I think i will wait till the next awesome patch comes out next year. The only thing i can't wait for is the Double Fine Team to make another Twitch Video because they are hilarious. So once again thanks for a showing a newbie whats up, Catch you in the Cadence. n_n

Sign in to follow this