Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sim...

Understanding Bloodlines

1) When a child is adopted into a family, are it traits magically selected from it's adopted parents? If not and it brings it's own; considering how sibling traits can influence regents offspring, adopting would bring a grave risk of polluting a bloodline?

2) Has anyone notice an instance where a regent has a half sister/brother and her offspring has a trait appear from the siblings non genetically related parent?

Example:

Mary's parents are Jack and Jill.

Mary's sister is Maude who's parents are Jack and Jenny. (Jack remarried after Jill died)

Maude has the quick trait that she inherited from Jenny's line.

Quick does not exist is Mary's line.

Mary has a child with the quick trait due to the way siblings can influence breeding.

I'm seeing some anomalies in bloodlines that I'm trying to understand.

It's a little different from what you are thinking.

The game keeps track of most traits that are in a bloodline and it calculates what is in the "genetics" of a child based on what is in the genetics of the parents with a small chance of a random mutation deviating some genes. For each ability that a child may have, it has one element from the mother and one from the father, just like in real-world genetics. Because some genetic traits can be dominant or recessive, sometimes a gene will be available in one generation and not in the next or vice versa. On top of all the real-world genetics, any given hero only expresses three traits, which are randomly selected from the list of traits that child has activated.

In relation to your questions:

1/ The traits of an adopted children are completely new and random. Personality is as influenced by the parents (unless Strong-Willed trait exists). Adopted children are best for keeping a bloodline in existence to retain any relic owned by the house. They aren't very good for retaining genetic traits.

2/ Mary's child with the quick trait could be due to three reasons that have nothing to do with Mary's siblings. Random mutation is one reason. The second reason is that it could be a recessive trait. Without both halves of a recessive trait, it cannot express as a trait. If Mary and her husband both have only half of the quickness trait (and it's recessive), then it would not express in them, but could express in their children. The third reason would be if Quick was a dominant trait but failed to express through multiple generations due to the luck of the draw on which three traits are expressed.

I hope this helps. Genetics were intentionally made very difficult to control absolutely. It can be hard to know you have bred a trait out of a bloodline and very hard to know when you are breeding one back in.

Thank you. That was very helpful.

Concerning though. I have a friend who is quite into tactical combat however the 'fogginess' when it comes to bloodlines and breeding means I probably won't recommend it to him. Right now the randomness and lack of information is detracting from my experience. Personally speaking I think I'd prefer things to be a little more controllable, with maybe the battles buffed slightly to compensate for better results with bloodlines over time. Right now I have too many groan moments when it comes to breeding and when you couple that with the totally random outcomes of the scripted events, I find myself raging at the timeline as much as I'm cheering my heroes in combat. The balance feels off.

Alternatively better in-game indications of the outcomes of pairings might help with the existing system. Some way of indicating the various traits and likely weights for them appearing in a pairings children. Also things such as the ability to get an overview of a heroes siblings traits instead of having to individually bring the info up for each one would be appreciated.

Mind you this is only my opinion and I am aware the game is still in beta. Hence the enquiries and feedback.

Yeah, I expect a number of items to become more clear as the next patches to come out.

Smiles

The third reason would be if Quick was a dominant trait but failed to express through multiple generations due to the luck of the draw on which three traits are expressed.

I'd really love to know if this is true. I've said it myself based on teamstream comments, but it seems like a really problematic way to calculate things.

Based on the Teasmstream, they said that they found that if they let everything that was supposed to express express, it gave too many traits and was overwhelming, so they limited the number of traits that would express. I think this would work in this way: The traits do not express, but the genetic code remains the same. Thus, if the hero becomes a regent, those traits will pass on as if they were expressed (so a dominant trait that wasn't express would pass as a DD or Dd and a recessive that was not expressed would pass as a rr).

The problem with this is that it takes information away from the player for mechanical reasons that seem to be in opposition to the game. If something should be expressing, I would like it to express. Yes, I shouldn't know traits that shouldn't be expressing, but if I am making decisions based on expressed genes, it really makes sense for expressed genes to accurately represent the heroes genetic code.

the entire genetic code of both parents is always passed on to the children, not just the expressed traits. the expressed traits are simply the ones that affect a hero in combat. i am not certain how traits are bred out of a genetic code or how the game determines which traits are recessive.

i dont understand genetics but massive chalice apparently simulates the way genetic traits actaualy pass on in real life so if you know your highschool biology you should beable to control the system just fine.

as for how i breed traits into a bloodline. I just try to control for 1 trait really. I pick a trait that one of my founding heros has and ensure that that trait is always held by at least one of the partners. it may skipp a regent sometimes but if i pick one trait and ensure that one parent always has it every generation then i can almost ensure that at least one kid gets it. That one trait can become dominant in a family if you breed for it for about 3-4 generations. this almost always means that other families will begin to develop that trait as well as they marry into the family, which makes breeding that trait easier because more of the families have it in their code, which makes it more common in all the families you breed with which makes it easier to breed into the house you want it to be dominant in.

over time the hunters i am breeding for dex, marry the caberjacks that i have been breeding for int and i end up with both families having strong dex and int in their genetics.

if you focus on one trait per house you can get some semblance of consistency but it takes lots of patience and dedication.

also if you ever adopt you completely ruin you genetic code

not that this really matters, as the game stands class, gear and xp are far more important to successes than genetics.

Sign in to follow this