Sign in to follow this  
Jallen

Dev's Play

kILeyo1iv0A

Surprised there isn't an official thread to this (guess most people are off for the holidays) but I really enjoyed this. Saw it was over an hour long and thought "I'm not going to watch all that" but it was really interesting. Loved the games when I was a kid, and yeah, that hour just few by.

Excellent work by 2PP as always. Really hope you guys keep going on this series, I doubt anybody else has the ability and inclination to rope in original devs of classic games and just play their games with them.

Just to say that this is a great idea and I do hope we see more of these throughout 2015 (as in, after the end of January).

I really enjoyed this.

P.S: Also hope Castle returns for a future commentary over Blade Runner.

Thanks guys! Sorry we didn't do a forum post, thing are weird with the holidays and trying to get this out before the break. And yes, we want Louis back for Blade Runner, he was amazing.

Forgot to congratulate Greg for the great playthrough. I know how hard the game is, and not only did he manage to finish the game in just over 1 hour, but managed to do it without using any of the 'Continue's.

Live.

While talking to the game's director.

Oh man this was so much fun :D! Thanks for the great work you guys. Here's hoping the series continue well over the release schedule.

EDIT: It's my hope that a Hercules episode could be done in the future. That was the only Disney game that I can still clearly remember playing.

Never heard of The Lion King game (although I had heard of Aladdin), but I actually really enjoyed that. Thanks!

Definitely played these games. The SNES was the best console ever made.

EDIT: Ewwww, Genesis.

Wow, pretty impressed with Greg! and nice to have the producer there to talk about the development. I now finaly know after all these years how this game ends. It was to hard for me then...

This is great, I hope 'Double Fine TV' is something that sticks around. I was obsessed with this game as a kid, even though I'm pretty sure I never managed to finish it (which didn't seem as important back then). My favorite memory of the game was how cool it was that fighting the hyenas was a real struggle early on in the game, and how small and easy to beat they were when you played as adult Simba. I also really liked the monkey level - I remember just hanging out in that level while I tried to draw those giraffes and hippo's. Great game.

Theory that I know probably won't come true but I'll say it anyway: maybe the series will build up to a Psychonauts 2 announcement at the end of the last episode. It's the last game they'll play, and at one point in this video Tim says, according to the subtitles, 'Just like Psychonauts [...]'. There's enough room for a 2 there!

Reality tells me that, if Psychonauts 2 ever happens, they'll make a bigger thing out of it and even Tim wouldn't drop it so casually during a Lion King playthrough, but I'll ignore that for now. It's that magical time of the year.

EDIT: Ewwww, Genesis.

What a misguided soul. Everyone knows the Sega Mega Drive is the greatest console ever made. Its cartridges bring life and happiness to people's hearts.

This is all in the video description, but here's a bit more info on the series:

Double Fine’s Greg Rice is joined by Louis Castle, co-founder of Westwood Studios, for a full play-through of the beloved 1994 platformer "The Lion King." Louis tells the story of how, with a small team and a tight schedule, Westwood developed the spiritual successor to the 16-bit classic "Aladdin" at a time when action platformers were still king and the Disney Renaissance was in full swing.

DEVS PLAY is an original series presented by Double Fine and 2 Player Productions that combines the running commentary of a traditional Let's Play with the perspective of experienced game developers. Each episode this season will feature at least one member of the Double Fine family with occasional appearances by developers that actually worked on the games being played.

Current Release Schedule:

12/23 - The Lion King

12/30 - Earthbound (The Mother Trilogy)

1/6 - Gauntlet DS [featuring Mike Mika]

1/13 - The Legend of Zelda

1/20 - Doom [featuring John Romero]

1/27 - Psychonauts [featuring Tim Schafer + members of the original team]

Original music for this series was composed by Orange Drink:

orangedrinkmusic.com

soundcloud.com/orangedrink

Just wanted to chime in and say this was fantastic. I always love hearing about behind-the-scenes stuff with game development and there was so much great commentary here. All the inner workings of Disney's relationship to the team and whatnot were super fascinating :D Can't wait for more of these.

P.S. - I also totally beat Lion King (SNES version) on a rental. So take that Disney! :P I honestly don't remember if I solved the monkey puzzle on my own tho. That may have received help from Nintendo Power (assuming they did a guide on that, I don't even know)

Here's a bit more from the Action Bulletin:

Episodes of Devs Play are scheduled to release for free on the Double Fine Youtube channel ... and will continue weekly through January 27th with future episodes such as playing (and hacking) The Legend of Zelda with Brandon Dillon and Matt Hansen, a Psychonauts play through with key members of the team and speedrunner Stephen Kiazyk, and chapter one of the original Doom with JP LeBreton and special guest John Romero.

The SNES version of The Lion King was one of the games I grew up on (and at least partially due to not having anything else to play at the time, I did eventually beat it!), and I'd play the Genesis version of Aladdin when I visited my cousin, so both of those games bring back fond memories for me.

I hope this series is successful enough for additional seasons!

Just wanted to chime in that I love the concept of this series, and the first episode was great. Looking forward to the rest, and I hope it continues beyond the initial batch.

Great work to all involved, from 2 Player Productions to Greg and Louis!

I really enjoyed this, and will be eagerly waiting to see new episodes.

Being away from home for Christmas, it cost $15 of mobile data just to watch! You know what? That's a price I'm willing to have paid. ;)

I do wonder how DoubleFine and 2PP manage to cover the production of the series, since it appears to be freely released? I didn't see any adverts on the YouTube video, so that doesn't seem to be it. I feel sort of like I should be donating somehow, so as to keep the project funded?

Is there any way to support it?

My hard drive went kaput and I had to reinstall everything on my computer all over again, so I'm way behind on these. I just watched the Lion King episode of Devs Play and enjoyed it thoroughly. The Sega Genesis version of The Lion King and Aladdin were among my favorite games growing up so it was neat to see the behind the scenes bits with both of them. :)

My opinion so far, from the point of view of another game developer:

- The Lion King: I thought this was going to be the most boring episode, but I really loved listening to all the anecdotes about the development of the game and the relationship with Disney. I also liked the blurred dynamic between the player and the creator and the flow of the conversation relating to the gameplay shown. The only part that I didn't like was when Tim joined and the same information we just listened to got repeated for him. I would have cut that part in post-production. Otherwise, great episode!

- Earthbound: I immediately got bored after 5 minutes, and I had to quit halfway through part 1. The player had absolutely nothing to contribute to the game he was playing except stating the obvious shown on the screen. It just felt like a really boring Let's Play for me. I don't know if it gets better, but I don't have the patience for it. That's unfortunate because there's a lot to talk about for this series and its fan community. I think it would have helped a lot if a second person actually related to the development of the series or the fan translation would have participated.

- Gauntlet DS: Considering that I worked on this game myself, it has a special place in my heart, and I'm really happy it got selected for a documentary and hear all about the passion behind it and its demise from the heads of the project. I'm also happy that most of the unique innovative features of this game were explained, as I think it would have revolutionized multiplayer gaming on handhelds. However, I was much more interested in the conversation while nobody was playing. It's cool that the game was shown in detail like that, but after 2 levels there was barely any constructive commentary about the game. Again, I feel that I lot could have been let on the cuttong room floor, but it was interesting nonetheless.

So there, I hope you find my comments constructive. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the next episodes. :)

The Lion King episode was interesting and a great watch.

As others have said, I love the Mother series, but without including someone involved - like Lindblom or Mother 3 translator Clyde Mandelin - it lacked what made the Lion King video special.

I, uh, didn't get far into Gauntlet because they dissed Gauntlet Legends. I love Gauntlet Legends.

Just noticed that the end credits on Zelda (Part 4) list the title as "Episode 03 - Gauntlet DS"

Definitely one of the better episodes. Brandon is crazy! But he did manage to tickle some cells in my 'non programmer' brain. Really fascinating to learn about how you'd actually hack a game like this. Maybe I should try Hack "N" Slash again. I got frustrated with the open level design, but now I understand how that was completely intentional.

Very good episode indeed! The pacing was just right and many aspects of hacking were demonstrated in a really professional way. That glitched sword find was pretty cool too! The only thing I could think of that would have made this episode better would have been to expand a little bit more on the replacement electronics parts, as it wasn't very clear to me how components from 1985 could be successfully connected to modern equipment.

By the way, I lol'd in part 3 at the sticker on the computer saying the username/password of said computer. Best security ever.

Agreed, great episode. I was thrilled every time Brandon made a discovery when debugging the game! Fun times.

This episode was really interesting ! Thanks a lot Brandon for taking the time to demo reverse-engineering The Legend of Zelda :)

Did anyone manage to apply the IPS file to the ROM ? I tried to apply it using Lunar IPS and IPS.exe, no luck...

I know the challenge has already been solved, but I'd like to do it for the fun of it.

Is the IPS encoded in some way ? Did you manage to decode it ?