Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jallen

Dev's Play

Thanks for your answer buckysrevenge !

I already tried downloading Lunar IPS and using it to apply the patch but I get the error message : "This is not an IPS file!"

If I'm not mistaken, the content of the file should be the same as the one in the Youtube description of the video :

IPS file from Brandon:

UEFUQ0gAQG4AGZgRCgwUJRclHBUKHBEpJAsOJAsb­Ch8OLCUAbQwAAXIAqWoAJRgY

FCQiGB4kFRgXECQkJCSkZA4XGB4QESgkFBINLCws­JCQkJOQAqxcAMxgRJBEOIiQk

JBIkDxgeFw0kCiQMGBgVJB0bEgoXEBUOJB0YGCkk­FRgfDiQiGB4oJBwSHAGlCgAY

IhgeGyQcEhwdDhskIw4VDQokIAoXHRwkAaU2AAAA­CSQBpVAAGB0YJBkVCiIkERIN

DiQXJBwODhQkEhckJAGllgALHREOJA8YGw4cHSwB­paEAAAANJAGl3AAYEh0qHCQN

ChcQDhsYHhwsJAobDiQiGB4kAaYiABgLGwofDiQO­FxgeEBEkHRgkEBgkDxIXDSQB

pmgABBEOGy4Bpm0AAAATJAGmkgAAAAQkAaauAAAA­GCQBptkAAAAJJAGm9AAAABgk

Aac6AAAAESQBp2oAAAAEJAGnggAUEQ4bJBESDRIX­ECQcGRgdJBIcJCQBp6UAAAAH

JAGnygASGRsOHR0iJBAYGA0sLCwkJCQkRU9G

I tried pasting the content into a new file with a .ips extension (without the header text), but Lunar IPS refuses to use it.

I tried moding my own ROM and creating an IPS file with Lunar IPS and the format of the file seemed different... This is why I was asking if the content was encoded in some way ? Did you manage to apply the patch to the ROM ?

Thanks again for your answer :)

Entertaining look back, but Romero's coke-bottle glasses distracted me quite a bit. He must be half-blind without them. I've played Doom so much, it actually made me want to replay Quake, which I only went through twice I think (but played a lot of local DM).

YeP LeBreton.

Great vids, loads of content and cool trivia. Really want to go play Wolf, Doom and Quake now!

Shame they used the modded version with new light effects etc, but it sounded like that was Romero's choice...

It is nice to see some gaming outlets highlighting some of the Dev series. Nice work.

Smiles

Thanks for these, very interesting.

Would be great to see if you could get John Romero back for Quake and/or Daikatana.

Yeah so I kinda need to catch up on these but I just watched the Gauntlet DS episode and it's insane that it never got published. Seems so far along any publisher could swoop in and publish it as is (and they would these days) and make money on it. Looks like a lot of fun with multiplayer too, kids would have loved it.

So yeah all caught up now, the Doom episode was really cool; I'm sure most people over a certain age have a love of Doom and memories of dark corridors brightened by exploding barrels, just a lot of fun and really interesting. Would love more Romero episodes if you guys keep doing the series, and if he's amiable, but he looked like he enjoyed the experience as well so here's hoping.

And the Psychonauts episode is out tomorrow! Dammit guys Grim Fandango is out tomorrow as well, now I'm going to be torn over what to do.

At what minute does it show "not an actual announcement"? Watched the whole thing and meant to go back, but I forgot.

It's at 17:45.

This was again very enjoyable - it's always interesting to see glitch exploits, and it was fun hearing the groans from the dev team! It'd be nice to also get a more traditional commentary for Psychonauts at some point, maybe over a 2 hour playthrough or something.

At what minute does it show "not an actual announcement"? Watched the whole thing and meant to go back, but I forgot.

This was again very enjoyable - it's always interesting to see glitch exploits, and it was fun hearing the groans from the dev team! It'd be nice to also get a more traditional commentary for Psychonauts at some point, maybe over a 2 hour playthrough or something.

The "not actually announced" HD version with commentary! I would watch that. I would also like the full video without the cuts that would be nice.

Wow, what a great series. I watched them all (why is one doom end annotation still TBA??) and I loved it.

Never had an SNES, but cousins did and I remember alladin/lion king well. Great to put a face behind it, and I am a sucker for stories on creating things.

Gauntlet gameplay was never my thing, but again, hearing the trouble of game development is really entertaining. You can see pride there.

That love of a game is universal, even if Mother isn't mine. You can see it in his face. Never lose that man. This is one of the most interesting from a filmmaking point of view because it's not about the game, it's about how it made Ben the awesome dude he is.

Watching Brandon reminds me of that too, it's a great intro to lots of aspects of the NES and programming. Really quite an episode. (breaks my heart to see a cart cut apart cause I have hoarder tendencies, but they're cheap on ebay and it's for a good cause). It parallels a project i'm toying around with at the moment so it's double interesting to me. Brandon reminds me of someone I went to school with who head and shoulders outclassed me as a programmer, and was still a classy dude, willing to help others.

Before I watched John Romero and JP Lebreton, I watched a similar one done in co-op with an IGN writer. Reccomend watching both because one is focused on player aspects, but this is focused on the design decisions. What a great source, with his autobiographical recall, and such an affable friendly dude. I've played (nearly) all John Romero's post 90's games. I bought Hyperspace Delivery Boy for windows mobile. I still have my Daikatana box. I agree with above, I have an urge to re-visit quake with my current perspective as an armchair fan of game design. Great tidbits about how the industry is a bunch of people and you never know how it's connected. When I heard JP had a patreon after getting laid off, I had to give a buck, i'm pretty broke, but to have someone follow their dream like that inspires me, so I think it should be rewarded.

The speedrun of psychonauts was amazing and I felt for those poor people. "That didn't feel like four years...". Ugh, the feels. I wish he had brought up that even though this playthrough was zipping through, that runner probably has spent more time with it than any other player. I know they're joking about it, but that game is something to be proud of.

This series was amazing. I hope you can continue it.

(I would love to see one with Lee Petty or Raz.)

Well the Psychonauts one was fun. Kinda wish it was a more traditional lets play with the team (you could only catch little snippets as we blazed through the game) but I get that mixing up the formula kept the series from becoming stale.

And yeah as the above commenter mentioned it would be super easy to cover previous DF games like Stacking with Lee Petty or Iron Brigade with Brad Muir if you keep the series going. Be interesting to cover that whole transition from large single game projects to smaller teams working on relatively small budgets within games like that.

All in all really enjoyed the series and look forward to your next project 2PP.

Loved the season finale! Very interesting to get a developer's perspective on these kinds of glitches.

If there's enough interest, another season is certainly a possibility!

I hope!

Smiles

For the record, I would love if future episodes would focus on bringing developers to give some commentary about their games while they're played (like you did on The Lion King, Doom and Psychonauts episodes). If it makes things easier, the whole game doesn't need to be played.

Yes, please. :-)

My personal favorite was the Doom w Romero episode. I always wanted to hear about Level Design from the designers themselves. Especially it's reflections on lessons learned while doing actual levels than theoretical generalisations.

The Doom playthrough is just full of interesting comments on the Doom level design. It's fantastic. It works especially well for a game that is more "player skill"-based as opposed to "character build"-based.

Hope there will be more. Commander Keen w Romero? :-D

Yeah, I'd certainly love more of this too. I haven't had time to watch through all of the episodes, but I've enjoyed all of them a lot more than regular let's plays. The developer insight adds a lot to these videos and the Zelda videos gave some really neat context to Hack 'n' Slash.

Hope there will be more. Commander Keen w Romero? :-D

Or maybe Tom Hall?

I enjoyed the idea of this series. But what I am noticing right now, is DF responds to posts on forum, which I hope will continue to do so. This means a world to me.

Thank you for your attention guys.

Hey guys, been meaning to respond to some of the constructive criticisms point by point but things got busy again! Just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback so far. Really glad you've enjoyed it. The first season was very much an experiment on our part; pieced together episode by episode over many months (hence all the structural variety). We have a better idea of what is and isn't working and plan to adjust accordingly moving forward. There are still some logistics to work out regarding how we afford (both time and money) to produce more episodes, but we'll get all that sorted eventually. For now, the priority is the AF2014 blu ray, the Broken Age doc (trying to get a head start on that blu ray since there's a lot of work to do there), and of course, the Massive Chalice videos.

If you don't hear much about Devs Play Season 2 in the short-term, don't let it concern you. It's definitely something dear to our hearts so we want to see it done right / to the best of our ability. It will come out when we feel it's sufficiently awesome.

Good news, thanks Asif!

MY PLEASURE, The Milkman.

Sign in to follow this