Sign in to follow this  
AdamBeckett

DF Staffers - What are your Top Ten Games of the Year?

Hi, everyone...

... reading the infamous, limelight seeking Beerzerker Brad MooEar's celebrity Top Ten list, mentioning Geoff Soulis, I was wondering "What would Geoff's Top 10 list of 2014 look like?" Thinking further, remembering the long, sleepless hours we all spent during the Amnesia Fortnights *together*,

I would be interested to know ALL OF YOUR TOP 5-10 GAMES OF 2014, please, please, pretty papers-please...

If you, fellow fans, stumble on some secret, private Greg Ricey tumblr update or any/every(!) other public staff posting, feel free to share the link here.

If you are a DF-er ... first, thanks, for doing all these awesome games and enduring those 2PP cameras in your working lives and - if you can spare some few minutes more, to give us your Top 5 or Top 10 of 2014 - I am sure, we all (incl. your co-workers?) would be delighted?!

Thanks & Happy Holidays & A Happy New Year!

Double-Fine-Productions-GOTYs_zps8ee1a8fc.jpg

It has started...

Ben Brrrrrrbank replied the following on Twitter:

my 5 faves were cap'n toad, monument valley, danganronpa 1+2, 80 days, and floor is jelly
runners up: persona q, dark souls 2, and desert golfing

Earlier in the year, I might have listed Hearthstone but it became stale rather quickly and I don't feel any of the concerns I have with it have been addressed, primarily the high frequency of random effects and the increasingly muddled Arena experience as new cards are added. It's still easily the best digital CGG so perhaps I'm being too picky but... I'll wait for it to mature a bit more.

Ok, now for my list.

5. Magic: The Gathering

If Brad gets to list it, I do too! It feels like cheating because it would be on my list every year. I did get to witness a 26/26 Brad (a.k.a. Ob-Nixilis, Unshackled a.k.a. the card Brad designed) on the battlefield after a Massacre Wurm wiped away some Plants. No one has yet used Brad to punish library searching but I haven't given up.

4. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright

Although it did convince me that I'm finally done with the Layton series (I feel it's outgrown its brain teaser roots), the Phoenix Wright side is as enjoyable as ever (as long as I don't dwell on the ending but I'll somehow blame Layton for that too). Favorite moments included hearing new versions of the Ace Attorney songs and Emeer.

3. Danganronpa

A game that combines Zero Escape and Ace Attorney? How can I refuse? It's not quite as strong as either but it has its own style and a solid soundtrack.

2. Ultra Street Fighter IV

Let's just say after many years, I finally found the excuse to return to Street Fighter and it was well worth it.

1. Kentucky Route Zero

Can't say much without it being a spoiler but Act III is by far my favorite. The Lower Depths scene is magical.

What the heck. Where did 2014 go?

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door dev. Nintendo and Intelligent Systems (2004)

Whoa! I checked this out of our DF library on a whim and was completely surprised. The gameplay and art style are all great, but the writing, that was something. I was really impressed with the quality of the writing and the depth of the characters.

Shovel Knight dev. Yacht Club Games (2014)

They nailed the feel of the games that inspired this one, but also made it accessible for olds like me who want to actually complete the game. I dig it.

Papers, Please dev. Lukas Pope (2013)

I played this because it was an integral inspiration during the development of Dear Leader. Once again, whoa. I'd heard of this game, but it must be played to be appreciated. Who knew I could care about a family that were really just numbers on a page?

Castles in the Sky dev. The Tall Trees (2014)

They told a nice story in a compressed experience. The older I get, the more I appreciate short games like these. They're like good short stories.

Actual Sunlight dev. Will O’Neill (2014)

There's a notion that games are mediums through which stories of all sorts can be told. I've heard the counterpoint that if you want to tell a story then go write one, but that's limited. Games like Actual Sunlight give me hope that people like you and I can come up with personal stories and see them to fruition.

In no particular order! I didn't have much time to play most of the big launches this year, but hopefully I can catch up soon haha. Here's the games I had the most fun with last year:

Woah Dave!

Love this little arcadey jump em up. The music for this game is amazing... when the bass kicks in after a minute or two of playing you get in the ZONE.

Running With Rifles

I've had a lot of fun with this top down 2D shooter. Reminds me a lot of this older PC game Soldat I used to play all the time as a kid, but now top down, and with vehicles!

Monaco

This came out a while ago, but it's online play is so well integrated and flawless; matchmaking and voice chat just work, and work well. Played a TON of this game last year with a buddy who is on a pretty low-powered Mac, so this game fit the bill for ease on machine requirements and maximum multiplayer fun. Forget Payday 2!

Dishonored

Started playing this in late December and am looking forward to finishing it this year. Great mix of Deus Ex and Thief. Already spent 9 hours playing and am barely past the first mission O_o

Gang Beasts

GANG BEASTS. Is AMAZING! One of my top 5 gaming moments of the year: watching a humongous crowd around the 8-player Gang Beast booth at our Day of the Devs show this year!

Hyper Light Drifter Demo

Greg Rice brought in a demo build of this game to the office and we all took turns playing over lunch. I am very... hyped for this game, the feel of the combat is amazing, switching between projectile and melee is flawless, the art and music create such an epic mood.... argh can't wait to play the full game!!

Lovely Planet

This game is great! You run around a happy pastel world, popping balloons and dodging baddies. Controls like a 90s shooter: fast running, tons of air control. Built for speed running, but I'm having fun just trying to get through all the missions on my own!

... everything that was at Day of the Devs!

http://dayofthedevs.com/

Highlights: Push Me Pull You, Videoball, Classroom Aquatic

Also played a bunch of titan fall, but that game felt more like a workout than fun for some reason haha.

In no particular order.....

Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Freedom Wars

Super Time Force

Mario Kart 8

Super Smash Bros. U

Hohokum

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (also played 2, but didn't like it as much)

Fantasia: Music Evolved

Captain Toad

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :)

Can't do an order either! Too hard!! Here are some standouts from me though (obvs discounting DF and DF Presents stuff)

80 Days

Captain Toad

Fantasia: Music Evolved

Hohokum

Mario Kart 8

Monument Valley

PT

Shovel Knight

Super Time Force

Threes

With no regard to order...and not when the games were released, but what I played last year.....go brain go!

Threes

Shadow of Mordor (sounds funnier in a Homestar accent)

Assassin's Creed where you play as a pirate but is woefully lacking in insult sword fighting

NBA2k15 (sports!)

Persona Q (only the charm of the Persona 4 cast will make mapping out a dungeon fun)

Infamous Second Son (played it last year and maaaaan is it fun to fly around like a super hero...and not fun to do any fighting)

999 (took a while to get going and for me to actually like any of the characters, but it did get better. Can't get myself to get through the second one though)

80 days (truthfully, played in EARLY 2015..but close enough right? Cause it's SO GOOD! Also makes me miss The Last Express)

80 Days (incredibly well-written dynamic narrative/management sim)

Ascension (it's a very old game, but a few expansions came out recently). I've been playing this one nonstop for years.

EDIT:

Valiant Hearts!!

9. Walking Dead: Season 2 - Becoming less and less gamey, and more and more interactive fictiony to me, but I don't care! It's still enjoyable!

8. 80 Days - Haven't completed it, but I love the main loop and the writing is fantastic.

7. Alien: Isolation - Amazing art direction and initial experience. Overlong, but worth experiencing if you love you some Alien.

6. Monument Valley - Perfect little game. Beautiful and fun. Doesn't overstay its welcome. Can't wait to get the update.

5. Shovel Knight - This sated my 80s nostalgia gland. Super good platforming!

4. Divinity: Original Sin - Overwhelmingly deep! Super engrossing if you have 96093245435 hours to kill!

3. NBA2K15 - I love basketball and don't care who knows it! This is as close to perfect as I've experienced in a SIM, and the game modes are all solid and addictive. Easily the most hours I've put into a game since DOTA.

2. Dragon Age: Inquisition - INSANELY GOOD. Would be my GOTY if it wasn't an iteration...

... and my GOTY goes to... COSTUME QUEST 2!!! (j/k, I have to recuse myself on that one). It actually goes to...

1. Valiant Hearts: The Great War - Amazing WWI story. Puzzles all contribute to the story without feeling "gamey". Steeped in feels. Amazing little moments of humor and poignancy all with a great style and clever animations.

Games I suspect would be on my list if I had gotten to them, and am embarrassed for not having played yet:

Banner Saga, Super Time Horse, Hohokum, things Mario (I have a WiiU in the mail, so my list will probably be shaken up with Nintendo joints soon), probably something else I'm forgetting.