Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mrstimpson38

Relic Idea

Here's a post I made in response to someone's topic over on the steam forums. I thought I'd share it here with the hope that someone from DF will take a look and it possibly spark an idea in their head.

When a relic is made, it is imbued with the genetic and personality traits of the previous owner. When a relic is equipped to the new owner, all of these traits would be passed to the current owner (only when the item is equipped) but with the stipulation that none of the transferred relic traits can be passed down through the bloodline in such a manner as normal genetic and personality traits (effectively they will be passed down, but with the relic, not the normal trait passing system). On top of these features, when you crit you would get a special animation of your ancestor assisting you with the attack (in the spirit of the original concept art for MC, and you would only need to make 3 animations (one for each weapon)). This would be in addition to the current relic system.

Imbuing relics with the "spirit" of the previous owner would fit thematically and would also fit within the bounds of the current game system (although you would need to differentiate between relic traits and non-relic traits in the code so the game knows what traits can be passed and what ones can't, but I'm sure Chad and Crew could knock all of this out pretty quickly. in Chad we trust!). I think it would also add a flavor to the relics both thematically (wield the spirits of your ancestors!) and mechanically (customize your characters even further by mixing two characters traits together).

I think this would also help players that want to play with specific classes by giving the player a template (the imbued relic traits) for a solid character that they can pass down thru their bloodline (if a really good relic was to spawn). It wouldn't happen every playthrough, but I imagine it would feel pretty epic to have Grandpa Caber assist his bloodline in becoming the strongest bloodline thru your playthrough because the caber he spawned was pretty epic (increased strength, movement, and health!).

Welp, there you go. I've always wanted relics to be a MASSIVE part of MC, and feel with a little improvement they could be closer to that goal. Thanks for your time.

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/app/246110/discussions/0/619574421302776175/

Yep! This has been mentioned on the forums here as well, and I'm all for it. Don't think the team has responded to it yet, but I imagine that's partly out of a desire to get some of the other core kinks worked out before developing what is essentially a brand new feature. I'm hoping that this gets addressed after the Hybrid Classes patch has been released and we've had some time to chew on their addition.

Sign in to follow this