Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 18: Constipation and Defcon 4

Glad to see the update. Hate to poke a stick in a sore point, but I'm surprised nothing was mentioned about the lay offs. Seeing some former DFers in the footage made it a very weird episode for me, especially since it seems like this episode was filmed around the time the lay offs happened. I do hope this will be addressed eventually, not that I think we deserve an explanation, but just to let DF have a more public say if they want. DF has been more candid than most developers in this documentary, I was sort of hoping to see something about it.

I expect it was probably to respect the privacy of those who had been laid off. It would have been difficult to bring it up without drawing attention to who the 12 were, and since they were people on different projects, there probably just wasn't really... a point to bring it in. I guess they could have mentioned it in passing, but then it might have seemed misleading, as if they were laying people off because Broken Age has some budget concerns, which as far as we can tell isn't the case.

Oh i love the new ship environment with the damaged walls and the countryside outside passing! I love it! ^^

I am getting really exited for part II again :D all those teases are looking awesome!

But just one thing ... a girlfork and the spoon ... mhm, what about our beloved knife??? I mean, i guess for the younger ones it just - might - be better not having a talking knife anymore wanting to stab someone. Buuuut on the other hand the knife could bring just a little bit more terror! :3 I havent played pt. 2 yet, so i can't judge ... but a girlfork? really? hopefully she got better lines than i just imagine yet. but she won't be nice, right? She isn't all the way a sweet thing, right? maybe just at first and than want to stab someone?^^ xD haha okay, maybe i can imagine some good lines. Just don't make the girlfork a girlie-clischee, it would be just cruel, also for little girls playing this game! ... and sexist!

I believe Tim being the writer on this project, given his views on representation of women in games, we won't have to worry about girlfork being a sexist cliche. In fact, I expect that some of these issues have been on his mind lately, given what he's had to ensure on twitter. Let's not forget that Tim has a history of writing for games with interesting, unstereotypical, nuanced female characters: Laverne, Maureen, some of the Psychonauts characters, a whole lot of the Brutal Legend Characters, Vella herself and even some of the other non-conformists in Broken Age like M'ggie and the Dead Eye twins. I think we'll be okay :)

A very pressing question - But does Tim have a tattoo on his right arm? If so, then of what?

That was incredibly stressful to watch. It felt like watching a company crumble and slowly rebuild in real time.

And when the 'few week' turnaround for the retail version was mentioned, does that include porting the game to consoles and recording new VO? If so that's absolutely insane.

That was incredibly stressful to watch. It felt like watching a company crumble and slowly rebuild in real time.

And when the 'few week' turnaround for the retail version was mentioned, does that include porting the game to consoles and recording new VO? If so that's absolutely insane.

No - they mentioned the game was already running on Vita, so the porting process has already started. As for the V/O, I got the impression from some news sites that this has already been recorded. That's possible,though it would seem quick. It's more likely it'll be recorded in the coming weeks.

Anyway, I think the turnaround is to do with producing and shipping out the physical product. The game needs to be 100% complete before they can ship, which means they need a few weeks time to manufacture discs and send them out to retailers.

I had this problem. Fiddled with my cookie/tracker/ad blocker settings and it ran fine. Make sure you're not blocking Vimeo stuff :)

Aaah, right. It was indeed due to a browser extension that blocks cookies, I forgot about that. Thanks!

Shamless by Double Fine.

This was a project SOLD and FUNDED in the spirit of an INDEPENDENT production (not to mention as a old school PC adventure game but let's not go over that old chestnut).

Now they've sold exclusive rights to Sony - the height of disgusting, vile, insidious COPERATE shamscabbery.

Double Fine have taken a beautiful, organic gestures from their fans and fans of independent media and whored it to a devil of coperate evil.

Excuse me while I throw up.

Shamless by Double Fine.

This was a project SOLD and FUNDED in the spirit of an INDEPENDENT production (not to mention as a old school PC adventure game but let's not go over that old chestnut).

Now they've sold exclusive rights to Sony - the height of disgusting, vile, insidious COPERATE shamscabbery.

Double Fine have taken a beautiful, organic gestures from their fans and fans of independent media and whored it to a devil of coperate evil.

Wow.

Care to explain how a game that is also on PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Ouya is somehow selling out exclusive rights to the "evil coperate" [sic] Sony?

Sounds like you might be thinking of a different game - either Grim Fandango or Day of the Tentacle, but even those aren't as exclusive as was first made out. There was an interview a while back where Justin seemed to imply that they hadn't had any luck securing rights to re-do either of those titles until Sony got involved, so if you want to blame anybody for that situation (which is unrelated to Broken Age), then Disney should probably be the target of your ire.

Oh i love the new ship environment with the damaged walls and the countryside outside passing! I love it! ^^

I am getting really exited for part II again :D all those teases are looking awesome!

But just one thing ... a girlfork and the spoon ... mhm, what about our beloved knife??? I mean, i guess for the younger ones it just - might - be better not having a talking knife anymore wanting to stab someone. Buuuut on the other hand the knife could bring just a little bit more terror! :3 I havent played pt. 2 yet, so i can't judge ... but a girlfork? really? hopefully she got better lines than i just imagine yet. but she won't be nice, right? She isn't all the way a sweet thing, right? maybe just at first and than want to stab someone?^^ xD haha okay, maybe i can imagine some good lines. Just don't make the girlfork a girlie-clischee, it would be just cruel, also for little girls playing this game! ... and sexist!

I believe Tim being the writer on this project, given his views on representation of women in games, we won't have to worry about girlfork being a sexist cliche. In fact, I expect that some of these issues have been on his mind lately, given what he's had to ensure on twitter. Let's not forget that Tim has a history of writing for games with interesting, unstereotypical, nuanced female characters: Laverne, Maureen, some of the Psychonauts characters, a whole lot of the Brutal Legend Characters, Vella herself and even some of the other non-conformists in Broken Age like M'ggie and the Dead Eye twins. I think we'll be okay :)

I was allways more a fan of the knife than a fan of the spoon ... the spoon in combination with a "girlfork" sounded quite to nice and cuddly in my ears. ^^ (especially as it gonne be the moment when the girl reaches the ship) yhea, but maybe the girlfork got a twist. Or it is something like a girl clichee, Vela (who want to stab the monster ... okay okay ^^) is confronted with and will argue against it.

Well, it's just that thing, when there was an animation-figure. Or figures. And they was kinda asexual males. And then in the second movie or the third movie they deside they need a "girl"-something. What is absolutley okay for me. I just hate the fact that than, whoooop, she got soft skin, eyelashes till nowhere, a super high voice and aaaaaaall this clischee. (hopefully they skip the pink handbag and highheels *rollingeyes)

Okay, with the spoon and the knife as a starting point, a fork and also a female fork makes absolutley sence. And it are kid-toys somehow. So thats okay again. I didn't want to be too dramatic about the girlfork in fact ^^ i just wanted to point out, that the knife had a little fan club. And a girlie - but nothing special about it - girl fork might be a dissapointment ^^ and than, again, if the girl fork is boring, the girls gonne have the "girls have to be sweet and boring" clischee ... even as with the story of vela, a twist on the girl fork would be nice.

I now explained my problem with the animation girl-something stuff. Why not a fork that happened to be female. Saying it is a girl fork might include something terrible ^^

Yes i overdramatised with the cruel and the sexist.

But yhea, on the other hand Tim is a man, there are a lot of men in the studio. In Psychonauts the main-character-girl needed to be rescued. In Grim Fandango Mercedes needed to be rescued (and there isn't very much to tell about her otherwise, beside she is just a perfect woman ...) . I mean, there is eva and stuff. I don't mind either the story of Psychonauts nor Grim in any way and i am not that critical.

But Broken Age has a strong feminist theme. So. That for, cluttering that whole world with girl clischees, and vella is the only not girl clichee ... i don't know. After all the maidens she could need a little female strong sidekick!

Having again a girl-clichee fork with nothing about her, LIKE EVERY MAIDEN, could create the impression there is vella. And all the other girls. So if you are one of all the other girls ... just deal with it. Not everybody could be a taff vella. You know. Now that the girl comes into the spaceship mother got a girly girl fork for her?

But i allready said in the first post, that only because the girlfork allready got eyelashes till nowhere, she still can be a cool character. But as she allready is a girl-something and the knife is gone, she, and that is my opionion, simply has to be a awesome great character. Otherwise, yes, i am afraid i gonne keep saying so: otherwise it would be a little bit cruel. :P

Another great episode! My thanks to 2PP, Isa, and every DF staff former or not. Broken Age finishing and the documentary ending mean I have fewer things to look forward to, but I'll be psyched to finally experience the whole of Reds.

because damit, i would have loved if vela would have stabed something with "the knife" ... like a curtain or something.

She got in the first act so much knifes around her. Was searching for a wapon. She could have had a phrase like "What is it with knifes these days"

And i really do like the knife. I am a knife fan-boy ^^ ;P

I won't mind to much if the knife won't appear in second act ... buuut, i would be like super exited and happy and stuff if it did ^^

Yes. Just saying, if the knife isn't reapearing, or never the less. The girl-fork has to fill a big foodprint. Just saying.

And if the girl fork is boring it is gonne be a little bit sexist, just saying. But maybe she allready isn't. So i keep calm and wait for

playing the game. ^^ Even if i won't like the fork, it won't ruin the game for me.

But it was just a feature, with some kind of exitement about it. So ... yes. i just wanted to share what i thought about that whole

"girl-something"-dilemma, especially as it is a very feminist themed game so far.

I was allways more a fan of the knife than a fan of the spoon ... the spoon in combination with a "girlfork" sounded quite to nice and cuddly in my ears. ^^ (especially as it gonne be the moment when the girl reaches the ship) yhea, but maybe the girlfork got a twist. Or it is something like a girl clichee, Vela (who want to stab the monster ... okay okay ^^) is confronted with and will argue against it.

Well, it's just that thing, when there was an animation-figure. Or figures. And they was kinda asexual males. And then in the second movie or the third movie they deside they need a "girl"-something. What is absolutley okay for me. I just hate the fact that than, whoooop, she got soft skin, eyelashes till nowhere, a super high voice and aaaaaaall this clischee. (hopefully they skip the pink handbag and highheels *rollingeyes)

Okay, with the spoon and the knife as a starting point, a fork and also a female fork makes absolutley sence. And it are kid-toys somehow. So thats okay again. I didn't want to be too dramatic about the girlfork in fact ^^ i just wanted to point out, that the knife had a little fan club. And a girlie - but nothing special about it - girl fork might be a dissapointment ^^ and than, again, if the girl fork is boring, the girls gonne have the "girls have to be sweet and boring" clischee ... even as with the story of vela, a twist on the girl fork would be nice.

I now explained my problem with the animation girl-something stuff. Why not a fork that happened to be female. Saying it is a girl fork might include something terrible ^^

Yes i overdramatised with the cruel and the sexist.

But yhea, on the other hand Tim is a man, there are a lot of men in the studio. In Psychonauts the main-character-girl needed to be rescued. In Grim Fandango Mercedes needed to be rescued (and there isn't very much to tell about her otherwise, beside she is just a perfect woman ...) . I mean, there is eva and stuff. I don't mind either the story of Psychonauts nor Grim in any way and i am not that critical.

But Broken Age has a strong feminist theme. So. That for, cluttering that whole world with girl clischees, and vella is the only not girl clichee ... i don't know. After all the maidens she could need a little female strong sidekick!

Having again a girl-clichee fork with nothing about her, LIKE EVERY MAIDEN, could create the impression there is vella. And all the other girls. So if you are one of all the other girls ... just deal with it. Not everybody could be a taff vella. You know. Now that the girl comes into the spaceship mother got a girly girl fork for her?

But i allready said in the first post, that only because the girlfork allready got eyelashes till nowhere, she still can be a cool character. But as she allready is a girl-something and the knife is gone, she, and that is my opionion, simply has to be a awesome great character. Otherwise, yes, i am afraid i gonne keep saying so: otherwise it would be a little bit cruel. :P

Sure, a lot of things you say make sense. It's true that Lily in Psychonauts needed rescuing, and so did Meche - but I'd point out those games are both over a decade old, and I do believe Tim's perspectives on some of this stuff has changed over time and he would maybe frame some of those moments differently without doing any violence to the plot of the game. Also let's not forget that the first Monkey Island game features an inversion of the Damsel in Distress trope where the governor ends up rescuing herself and guybrush's plans mess hers up, and Monkey Island 2, which Tim had greater involvement in, has Elaine outright rejecting Guybrush for being a jerk - and then coming to rescue him (in the end, unsuccessfully).

Meche is kind of an interesting case, because while she does need rescuing, in the end it's more like a joint effort: first she protects Manny by (spoilers from here) clobbering him on the head, then she takes control of the situation by getting him to provide her a gun, and it's only because of her misread of the situation that she ends up recaptured. Also, it should be noted that it's only through Manny's mistakes, rather than through her own weakness that she manages to get herself captured in the first place.

But sure, some of these situations might have been handled differently. I suspect if Tim were writing Part 3 today, he'd give Meche a more proactive role in escaping.

As for Broken Age, re: the Maidens, there is a reason they are written how they are, which Tim discusses a bit here: https://storify.com/KestrelPi/tim-schafer-responds

So indeed these characters are written as critiques of exactly the sort of social pressures which create these girly girl stereotypes. As he says in the link above "But recreating negative patterns in order to satirize or critique them isn't a guaranteed slam dunk--point taken."

It should at least be noted that those maidens weren't written like that thoughtlessly. And actually I do think they are distinct from each other. We only get to meet 7 maidens in the game (and 4 of them only very briefly), and I can think of ways in which almost all of them are different as characters.

I am certain that Tim didn't write a girl fork into the game simply to fill the game with a bunch of girl cliches. As I say, it's an issue that's been quite a lot on his mind, lately.

Shamless by Double Fine.

Are you secretly mad that Double Fine can't release this on the Xbox One? Microsoft has a sanction in place that prevents publishers releasing titles on the Xbox One if it releases on another console first. Double Fine, on the other hand, has full control over the release of this title, and likely saw additional PR by releasing it on Sony's PS4 and Vita.

Shamless by Double Fine.

Indie devs don't want to work with Microsoft anymore, period. I'm not sure why, but they f*cked up somehow I guess, Sony has been the indie darling for a while.

Not to mention that this is literally them adding a 7th and 8th platform to the 6 that it's already going to be on by the final release. How many games get released on 8 platforms in the same year, these days? It wasn't even going to be on consoles, so I've no idea why one would complain. If there is exclusivity it's unlikely to be anything but timed (for consoles only).

Not enough explosions, car chases and sexposition.

Seriously, pretty good episode. Thanks!

Shamless by Double Fine.

I don't think you really understand how these kind of deals work. To' sell' the game to Sony, Sony would own the IP and be the publisher ala traditional publishing. In these kinds of deals the game becomes the publisher and owner of the game, the studio then works for them.

What's happened here is that Sony have made a deal to bring Broken Age to Playstation a platform not originally pitched. The game is still coming out on PC. What's happened is that Sony is providing resources to bring the game to their platform, this doesn't mean they get editorial control or ownership. What it means is that Double Fine is getting an additional revenue stream to help them finish the game, but it allows them to retain control as Sony is not a publisher. It's no different from them signing the deal with Nordic to make boxed copies or adding the game to another online shop like Desura. If you backed for a PC game you are still getting that game. Part of the draw for Double Fine owning the IP is they get to choose what platforms they release the game on.

Shamless by Double Fine.

Are you secretly mad that Double Fine can't release this on the Xbox One? Microsoft has a sanction in place that prevents publishers releasing titles on the Xbox One if it releases on another console first. Double Fine, on the other hand, has full control over the release of this title, and likely saw additional PR by releasing it on Sony's PS4 and Vita.

Er, no. Hello, I backed the game for a PC release and I have already played half the game on PC. Why on earth would I want to play the game on the Xbox One, a console I don't even own? This is not about petty console wars that I couldn't care less about. This is about the PRINCIPLE.

DF getting in bed with Sony with BA is completely the OPPOSITE to the spirit in which this game came to fruitition and only the most loyal die hard fans could be blind to that.

DF getting in bed with Sony with BA is completely the OPPOSITE to the spirit in which this game came to fruitition and only the most loyal die hard fans could be blind to that.

I think it was the opposite of what you feel is the spirit of things. One of the interesting things about Double Fine Adventure -- is that everyone brings to it their own feelings and spirits and hopes and dreams.

Smiles

did a lot of people get laid off ? i only noticed one or two in the episodes leaving

It was stated at the time of the layoffs that they didn't impact on the Broken Age team.

DF getting in bed with Sony with BA is completely the OPPOSITE to the spirit in which this game came to fruitition

How is this different than them being "in bed with" Apple or Android or Steam and giving a part of their profits to them? Did they ever promise that they won't do any more ports?

DF getting in bed with Sony with BA is completely the OPPOSITE to the spirit in which this game came to fruitition

How is this different than them being "in bed with" Apple or Android or Steam and giving a part of their profits to them? Did they ever promise that they won't do any more ports?

Don't bother, some people like being offended for a living and calling people with actual facts "blind"... That's the internet for you... He was blind to all the rational answers most of you already provided... Don't feed the trolls...

I just want to say I love Doublefine. Thanks for another great episode. Can't wait for the game, and I truly hope you keep going with 2 Player Productions in the future after Broken Age is finished. This has been one of my favorite shows, and I hope we will get more seasons in the future!

I really love these documentary episodes. I am looking forward to playing episode 2 so much, but I think I'm also looking forward to watching the next episode just as much :)

Great episode, thanks again for this, they're always quality. :)

Started to comment on the post by crazyman, but I realized it didn't deserve any longer response, considering the tone of it. If you want to give feedback, or raise concerns, using that tone is not the way to do it. No one should bother responding to it, when it's written like that.

As for the game, I loved the overview of the first puzzle in act 2. It really seem to set a great tone for the act. And the animations in the moving ship were awesome. It's so impressive to see painting being brought to life like that.

did a lot of people get laid off ? i only noticed one or two in the episodes leaving

It was stated at the time of the layoffs that they didn't impact on the Broken Age team.

As far as I remember 12 people were laid off, among them JP, who was at least at one point part of the Reds team. I expected that at least he would be talked about, as it is publicly known that he is no longer at DF. I have to admit that I'm a little bit disappointed about that.

Sign in to follow this