Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 18: Constipation and Defcon 4

Liked the episodes so far a lot.

But I was disappointed by this one.

Wow, tough watch. Hopefully everyone is feeling less stressed after the Christmas break... but I have a feeling they won't be. Keep your spirits up, guys! (Get the feeling that Tim is partially thinking, "this damn game broke my company!".) We're all hoping for the best!

Glad to see the update. Hate to poke a stick in a sore point, but I'm surprised nothing was mentioned about the lay offs. Seeing some former DFers in the footage made it a very weird episode for me, especially since it seems like this episode was filmed around the time the lay offs happened. I do hope this will be addressed eventually, not that I think we deserve an explanation, but just to let DF have a more public say if they want. DF has been more candid than most developers in this documentary, I was sort of hoping to see something about it.

This is a documentary about Broken Age, and the people working on that game, not Double Fine in general. That's why it wasn't included.

Sure. JP was part of the team for a while, though. And the documentary has shown other things that were only tangentially related to Broken Age, like the launch party of The Cave, Schafer shaving his beard, starting a juice diet and talking to a car mechanic about tuning up his car.

I don't think mentioning the layoff business even in merely the most oblique fashion would have been out of place. While the reason the 12 employees were laid off wasn't because of Broken Age's money troubles, but because a publisher suddenly pulled out of an unannounced project, you could say that if DF hadn't spent so much money on Broken Age out of their own pockets, then maybe they wouldn't have needed to lay off the 12 employees immediately.

Sure. JP was part of the team for a while, though. And the documentary has shown other things that were only tangentially related to Broken Age, like the launch party of The Cave, Schafer shaving his beard, starting a juice diet and talking to a car mechanic about tuning up his car.

Perhaps JP declined to appear in the documentary regarding the layoffs. He was never a big one for the cameras anyway.

I don't think mentioning the layoff business even in merely the most oblique fashion would have been out of place. While the reason the 12 employees were laid off wasn't because of Broken Age's money troubles, but because a publisher suddenly pulled out of an unannounced project, you could say that if DF hadn't spent so much money on Broken Age out of their own pockets, then maybe they wouldn't have needed to lay off the 12 employees immediately.

The game in question was publisher funded. While it's possible if DF had had more of their own money it could have been spent on rescuing the cancelled publisher instead of Broken Age, it's just as likely such money would already been spent on a completely different project - like Spacebase, for example, or a completely different game. There's no reason to suppose that it would have been available at the time the layoffs happened. There's just too many variables.

Hi all,

I only watched the first 7 minutes of this instalment. After five minutes I felt like maybe, just maybe, there were giving a bit too much of the story away. Then with the whole rotation business, and Vela taking contr... No! I pressed stop. I want to find this out by myself.

But that's alright, maybe it's just me. Maybe there was the same amount of 'spoilers' in the earlier episodes and it's just that now that I've played through Act I, I feel more engaged. Oh well, I'll just wait until I've finished the game before watching the end of the doc. Now I can be impatient for two things instead of one!

Hi all,

I only watched the first 7 minutes of this instalment. After five minutes I felt like maybe, just maybe, there were giving a bit too much of the story away. Then with the whole rotation business, and Vela taking contr... No! I pressed stop. I want to find this out by myself.

But that's alright, maybe it's just me. Maybe there was the same amount of 'spoilers' in the earlier episodes and it's just that now that I've played through Act I, I feel more engaged. Oh well, I'll just wait until I've finished the game before watching the end of the doc. Now I can be impatient for two things instead of one!

It did feel like maybe it was a bit more spoilery than the previous episodes, but most of the rest of the episode is about the production schedule

It did feel like maybe it was a bit more spoilery than the previous episodes, but most of the rest of the episode is about the production schedule

Well, if the rest of the episode is just about the production schedule, good thing I pressed stop. Ahahah only kidding! Like everybody here, production scheduling is exactly the kind of stuff I signed up for and so far 2PP has delivered. But I still think I'm gonna wait until I've finished the game and then have a documentary marathon.

[...]

I am certain that Tim didn't write a girl fork into the game simply to fill the game with a bunch of girl cliches. As I say, it's an issue that's been quite a lot on his mind, lately.

Okay ... i wasn't that sirious about the cruel and the sexist part ^^ The only thing i was really sirious about is that i love love love the knife and i don't ( YET i haven't played it ^^) have a good feeling about the girl fork.

Okay, here is what i really wanted to say: Make the girl fork a lara croftian bad ass killing machine ironic girly version of the knife, cause i love the knife ^^

Oh lord, having someone arguing against you really brings you to take your own point way more sirious as they first was ment to be xD At least in my and this case. Sorry for that xD

But on the other side what you wrote about Meche was quite interesting, and even the feminist part of monkey island ... now that you are talking about it ... ^^ i havent played through grim fandango like since over 10 years ago ^^ so i really wasn't that aware of what meche did or didn't later in the game ^^

Oh, and talking about Grim Fandango, for my taste, there is not that much hurry in the near future for me having act II of broken Age like too soon, cause i gonne be like totally busy playing GF *amazing ;D Grim really sweeten the wait for broken age II beyond measure ^^ just ... the moment i saw the end sequence of grim akt II might come in handy ^^

As I said, the documentary is about Broken Age and its team: Schafer is a member of the team. JP was not (at the time of his firing). The Side-Quests are also just about members of the BA team. I agree it's big news for the company, but as it didn't affect the team or the game, I imagine that's why it wasn't included.

Hi all,

I know what you mean. The first chunk was indeed about the game itself. It doesn't actually give all that much away, but I didn't want to see it either (too filled with anticipation for Act II). I just closed my eyes until that part had gone.

To me it shows that the video has been removed. Is anyone else experiencing this? What can I do to watch it?

To me it shows that the video has been removed. Is anyone else experiencing this? What can I do to watch it?

Try a different browser? I used to have issues when I used Firefox.

Yeah, I'm using Firefox too. It worked in the meanwhile. Thanks for your answer :)

Hi all,

yes, i was also like "nah nah nah might contain spoilers of act I nah nah" ... and than ... what? It totally contains spoilers for act II, in fact! xD

Haha yhea, 2play production. You should really change this into "This episode contains spoilers of act II" if you ask me xD (for when you remove the blurs and stuff, you shall keep that in mind ^^ )

But i loved seeing the broken ship. So thanx for that little teases / spoilers. ^^ There where spoilers, but i guess the story of part II is gonne have a lot of surprises for us in hands ... so, okay. But yes, it felt a bit much especially as a start ^^

Yeah, this is the first episode where I felt like they crossed the line with Act 2 spoilers. Puzzle hints and general intimations about Act 2's plot were not appreciated :)

Yeah, this is the first episode where I felt like they crossed the line with Act 2 spoilers. Puzzle hints and general intimations about Act 2's plot were not appreciated :)

We can't all be perfect. :(

Smiles

New act is looking really slick! So pumped! People will probably be upset that the game reuses the locations from act 1 but I think it is really interesting, especially they way the team is doing it. Great work as always.

Another great episode. But I have to admit that it really bugs me when people reference Defcon wrong. Defcon 4 would be mild, where Defcon 2 would be severe. Just saying. :P

We can't all be perfect. :(

Smiles

Personally, I thought the level of spoiler stuff in this episode was a step in the right direction. Looking at the documentary from the perspective of something that is meant to exist as a whole after the game's release, it's always been too spoiler shy for my tastes. As a backer and a developer myself, I'm super interested in day to day decisions that lead to the game's final form, and I love seeing how possibility space is navigated. That sort of insight can't really come when everybody's tiptoeing around and avoiding directly mentioning the game's content.

I doubt there'll be scope for it, but early on in the series, I kept my disappointment in check by hoping there'd be a post-release edit that includes a bit more detail. I hear that 2PP are going to remove the blurring once the game's out though, so that's nice :)

I didn't think the spoiler level was much different to that of the pre-release Act 1 episodes - they showed stuff like the rollercoaster puzzle back then, for example, and a load of characters and settings.

I'm normally hugely spoiler-averse, and if this had been a privately-funded Tim Schafer adventure game, I would have been avoiding every detail about it to go in completely blind, but for this game I decided not to worry about that stuff as it's part of the whole backer community/documentary/open process experience. The only thing I've tried to avoid is speculation on upcoming plot twists. This was the first time in a while watching a DFA episode that I've had to fight against my natural reflex to run from spoilers, though!

I have to say on reflection that even though this is more of Act II than we've seen so far, setting aside the fact that it's post plot twist, what we were shown wasn't really beyond what you might expect to find in a trailer (again, for emphasis, setting aside that this stuff wouldn't be in a trailer because of end of act I spoilers)

I mean, what did we really see? That there's some puzzle where Vella has to rotate in space or something, and something about taking over the Momship controls... I don't think that's really revealed anything. It seems akin, for example, to if you had seen, out of context, Ben using the crane controls in the junkyard, or setting off the alarm in the oil tower. You're pretty sure there's going to be a puzzle to do with that stuff, but you don't really know what it is.

For act I they avoided talking about puzzles at all (I found out that you have to combine shoes with a ladder because one of my twitter accounts had an interaction with JP LeBreton that kind of spoiled that one waaay before Act I came out, but I don't remember finding out about any others) and now they seem to have brushed against a couple of puzzles very lightly. Given how reluctant Tim has been to give any spoilers away in the past, I don't think he would have okayed that if it gave away too much about either the puzzle solutions or the story. So what was revealed is probably a bit more minor than maybe if first appears.

I guess we all have our tolerances. Personally, I didn't like suggestions about Vella accessing the Mom's powers, and it seemed like an unnecessary thing to tell us we would do. Did the documentary benefit from that? Not really. Would the surprise of gaining that control have made a better gameplay experience? I think so.

A very pressing question - But does Tim have a tattoo on his right arm? If so, then of what?

It says "Fire walk with me"

I apologize if Justin is sick to death of him getting these types of questions (which he probably does), but I gotta ask him: did his parents name him "Justin" because they played Metroid on NES and had a sense of humor?

A very pressing question - But does Tim have a tattoo on his right arm? If so, then of what?

I'm very proud to say that is a tattoo of a fairy. I believe one of the modern Disney ones--most likely Silvermist.

I got it from my regular tattoo artist, my daughter. She really knows how to make them last, sometimes for an entire week! :)

Thanks for watching, everybody!

About spoilers--you know, at first I was a little concerned about that in this episode.

I was like, whoa. And then I was like, okay.

It's always a trade-off between meaty content for the doc, and holding surprises for the player. I think there is no solution that is a 100% win for both. But in this case, I came to be okay with it, because it was only spoilery in that it showed snippets of new content, but it showed no actual puzzle solutions or big plot twists.

Anyway, the end is coming up quick. Things are looking good, but I haven't thrown away that paper gun yet, in case I need it!

I think the spoilers wasn't too much, it's okay, and the episode was great!

If the gun's power won't be enough, here is a tutorial, how to make paper uzi:

Now they've sold exclusive rights to Sony

They did NO such thing. They did not sell exclusive rights to Sony. The game is also being released on PC, Android, iOS, Linux, OS X, and Ouya. That's (at least) six other platforms.

You sir, are a dumb ass.

They did NO such thing. They did not sell exclusive rights to Sony. The game is also being released on PC, Android, iOS, Linux, OS X, and Ouya. That's (at least) six other platforms.

You sir, are a dumb ass.

Don't bother responding to him. Best thing to do is add to IGNORE.

Sign in to follow this