Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Awesome

theories

there is a LOT of stuff you get to piece together yourself in psychonauts. I do not hesitate to do this. here are some theorys I have.

*crispin. we know from fred's mind that he used to be insane. now he and fred seem to have switched places. but there's something peculiar about crispin that i've noticed. he has his arms crossed all the time. could it be a strait jacket? is he still insane, and just thinks he's an orderly? or maybe he just never figured out how to get the strait jacket off. I don't know, but I think it could be one of the two.

*Dr. Loboto could Maybe be related to bobby. they look a lot alike. they could be related in some way. Unsure how though.

*sheegor coud be somehow related to dogan. both are blue. both seem to waddle around when they walk. both are somewhat immature. I doubt she's his mother, but maybe his aunt or grandma? once again, unsure.

feel free to give your side of these theorys and also some of your own theorys. thanks!

-Dr.Awesome

I don't play video games, I am Vernon Tripe, I do not need games, all I need is my excelent stories and Frankie by my side

I dunno. If you look at Crispin in the memory reels, when playing Waterloo-o he seemed really smart, able to beat Fred every time. Moreover, he uses these odd little metaphors about Fred (Something about pickled radishes comes to mind). So he's probably still a bit insane, just a smart sane-insane, if that make sense.

Anyone else get the "brilliant, homicidal professor" vibe coming off of Crispin? I think he faked being... special... to avoid punishment for some horrific crime.

Anyone else get the "brilliant, homicidal professor" vibe coming off of Crispin? I think he faked being... special... to avoid punishment for some horrific crime.

I promise you Crispin is perfectly insane. We just share interests, such as terrorizing the inmates.

Did I say terrorizing? I meant helping. HELPING.

How'd you get inside my mind? D>

Well anyways yeah... I'd say he's insane because he's a huge JERK

but what he originally suffered from was something called catatonia. He was the stupor kind if I remember correctly.

After Loboto took over the asylum, he appointed Crispin as an orderly, so the fact that he thinks this makes sense. And yes Crispin was still wearing his straightjacket... I'm guessing Loboto kept him in it because he wanted to have complete control.

I promise you Crispin is perfectly insane. We just share interests, such as terrorizing the inmates.

Did I say terrorizing? I meant helping. HELPING.

I didn't mean that he's not insane, I meant that drooling-all-over-himself-while-bonking-his head-into the wall Crispin was merely an act, used to hide his true evil genius. Then Fred ended up on the wrong side of a game board, and we all know how that ended.

Edit: Oh, sorry Fred. Didn't see you there.

Let's keep this thread going! Copied directly from TVtropes Psychonauts WMG page~ I'll post one new theory and discussion with every post, but will politely wait for someone to post after me to post a new one! :D

Thorney Towers was an asylum for unstable psychics.

It's not exactly feasible for it to be twisted into those rather disturbing shapes simply because of old age, now is it? It would also explain those weird faces in the sky: the psychic resonance of all those cray psychics seeped into the palce, causing an overly negative perception of the local area.

* As well, some of the inmates have psychic skills "in their heads", albeit buried away somewhere like a fridge or corner of the city. Being able to see what everyone thought of you without being able to control it would definitely turn you into a paranoid conspiracy freak, and we've seen what effects confusion bombs have on wrestlers. And while it doesn't make sense for Fred to be driven mad by something as mild as losing a board game, it's quite possible that Crispen's own psychic abilities drained his sanity somehow. Gloria, of course, was probably one of the normal patients there to cover up the fact that it was mostly for containing psychics.

I've always suspected that Loboto might have some kind of psychic powers, but we can't prove.

*Implications of what that would me dawn.*

If anyone needs me, I'll be hiding.

Herm.... I don't really have any theories. I never really thought about that stuff. But I'm pretty sure that similar skin colours don't mean that Bobby and Loboto or Dogen and Sheegor are related. I mean, Sasha and Ford are the same shade of green, but nobody says they're related.

The closest thing to a theory that I have is that Sasha's dad's moustache is either scary or awesome, and I'm not sure which.

*NOTE: I DID NOT COME UP WITH THESE. THESE ARE FROM THE WMG PAGE OF PSYCHONAUTS ON TV TROPES, JUST MEANT TO STIMULATE CONVERSATION*

That psitanium deposit isn't natural.

So we know that Ford's mind isn't what it used to be, and he needs exposure to a massive amount of psitanium to function. What if there wasn't actually a sufficiently large deposit of psitanium anywhere in the world? That big solid lump Ford's sanctuary is built over doesn't look anything like an natural mineral deposit, after all.

So if there's no natural deposit, he needs an alternative. Well, there are two: first, there's a place where a large amount of psitanium arrow heads were buried for whatever reason, but they aren't concentrated enough to do the job, hence when Ford's just wandering around the grounds he's off with the fairies. Second, people with psychic abilities can enter other people's minds and break down things like censors into raw psychic energy, and absorb that psychic energy in the form of psitanium (or mental health, or aggression).

Thus Ford starts up a camp for psychic kids, and in that camp he has a store — run by himself — where he accepts psitanium as currency. The kids are encouraged to gather arrow heads, or to create psitanium out of psychic energy in the course of their training, and then give the psitanium to Ford in exchange for handy psychic gadgets. Presumably once a large enough yield of psitanium has collected in the cash register, it allows Ford just enough clarity to take it down and add it to the giant slab he's got down in his sanctuary.

Fortunately the camp is good for the kids as well, so this doesn't fall under the description of "evil scheme".

* Where would all those Psitanium arrowheads have come from if there hadn't originally been a Psitanium deposit around to dig the original material up from?

o Breakdown from a Precursors Spaceship that crashed and dissipated in the region long, long ago. Psitanium built up in the local animals, though, and were used by Native Americans for arrow heads. When it was revealed this accelerated the process and the animals got more magic powers if they survived the shot, they buried them.

My theory? That 'theorys' is supposed to be spelled 'theories'. Amazing, huh?

*NOTE: I DID NOT COME UP WITH THESE. THESE ARE FROM THE WMG PAGE OF PSYCHONAUTS ON TV TROPES, JUST MEANT TO STIMULATE CONVERSATION*

The entire scenario was staged to recruit stable psychic recruits.

The key word being "stable." The pamphlet describing the camp even stated that they were looking to recruit. In a rare case of Genre Savvy, though, if campers didn't reveal that they were able to take the heat; they were taught enough to keep their sanity and just given the equivalent of basket-weaving skills. But...if someone with promise shows up, then the "Oleander scenario" is provided. Which is why Coach Oleander was so easily forgiven, he was in on it. When Sasha and Milla are "called away" they were really going to Raz's father to get his help in stabilizing Raz, hence his convenient Deus Ex Machina in the end.

* Evidence pointing to this, if Raz look through Ford's eyes through telepathy, he views Raz as a Psychonaut already.

o This troper suspects that's just because Ford is secretly a Wide Eyed Idealist who actually thinks the best of his psychic protege, even if he doesn't show it.

o The above (directly above, "This troper suspects...") is supported by the fact that all of Cruller's identities see Raz as an ideal protege.

Sasha isn't The Stoic—he's just quiet, shy, and a bit of a Cloud Cuckoolander.

It occured to this troper that Sasha—at first glance The Stoic, and humorless as Germans stereotypically are—isn't actually as emotionless as one would think. Looking at the cutscenes, he actually smiles and seems happy quite a few times—he really seems to like training Raz, and during the Brain Tumbler Experiment, he actually makes a few comments that could be regarded as jokes. But if his obvious actions don't seem to have that emotional flavor, check out Milla's second memory real, in which he features prominently. In one of the slides, he's dressed up in a goofy outfit at a party, and while he and Milla are obviously undercover, the way he's sipping a fruity drink and the way he appears to be dancing suggest he's actually having fun being silly. Plus, in the last slide, he is quite obviously very pleased about the way Milla Fell Into His Arms. He's blushing shyly. The average The Stoic doesn't even know the meaning of the word "embarrassed."

All this makes this troper think that perhaps Sasha isn't as much of The Stoic as we've been lead to believe. He's very obviously an intellectual, based both on the fact that he has a lab and the fact that both the game itself and concept art depict him as working hard on lots of experiments. Plus, he's a lot more disorganized in his lab than you'd expect from someone with such a proper, tidy personality. Intellectuals tend to have a reputation for being somewhat out of it, possibly since many of them may or may not have Asperger's. Perhaps Sasha, like many who've come before him, isn't so much unwilling to express his emotions as he is just painfully shy. Milla's memory reels seem to indicate that he's more willing to open up around her, which would make sense—he gets along with her, and even shy people will open up to people if they get to know them and get comfortable around them. But around people he doesn't know, he clams right up. The scenes in Sasha's mind seem to show him opening up to Raz. And since he was really in control of what was happening the whole time, I doubt he would have even let see his private memories unless he was starting to trust the kid... or if he were even half as stoic as he seems.

Not to mention, all the Ship Teaseing that goes on between him and Milla would be a little weird otherwise. Opposites Attract aside, what would they see in each other? Sasha hates over-bright, "tacky" things, and Milla needs someone she can party and go crazy with. But if Milla's memories are to be believed, Sasha does like having fun, which would suggest a softer core for him. And it's implied that Milla is very good at understanding emotions, and that she loves making people feel comfortable—and for the chronically shy, that kind of person you can open up to is a godsend.

To top it all off... He works at a summer camp full of children. It seems like the sheer chaos kids generate would drive him batty.

* The Devil's Advocate in me would like to point out that we didn't see any of Sasha's memories with Milla in Sasha's head, and it's easy enough for a person to alter the facts to what they'd rather see... so Milla's memories might just be her view of things. Sasha may just be working at the camp because Ford 'drafted' Milla and Sasha, and whether or not he's happy with it Sasha would follow Ford's orders because he still seems to respect the senior agent. And judging by the way that he's happy to experiment on the campers, Sasha doesn't exactly seem to have a soft spot for kids. However, the Sasha x Milla shipper in me refuses to give up hope, so I'm going to pretend your theory is canon.

o Then again, other than in Oleander's mind, we're not given evidence that anyone doctors their memory reels or that they're unfaithful to the truth, or even tinted with either rose or Jade Colored Glasses. The only other tampering we've seen was "The World Shall Taste My Eggs!," but given how messed up that was...

o I think that was Oleander's fantasy and he just left it in a convinent place so that you could find it and he could pretend it was true. As for Sasha I think your right, he's painfully shy, however I think he is "trying" to be a stotic as a defense mechinism against pain and suffering.

People of great genius often persecute themselves. After all, we are known by the enemies we keep. When surrounded by mental midgets, one has very little in the way of worthy opponents. Combativeness turns inward. Fred's offer of combat woke up Crispin from his lethargy and despair, and he proved himself admirably. It is good the Waterloo World battle was not against Crispin, but only Fred against himself. Raz might not have had such an easy time of it. I can see Crispin surrounding Raz with a circle of snail cannon, giving him hardly any chance to deal with one, let alone a dozen at once.

Aluminumticket, that's actually rather insightful. I'm not sure I'd call him "shy," as he does really have a rather strong air of confidence. I'd say more "reserved," I think. He obviously holds self control and mental order as a very high priority, and it would make sense that it would extend to his personality and such. So yeah, I agree. I don't see him as emotionless at all. Simply controlled, and pensive.

Also, I hadn't picked up on the irony of his lab being somewhat of a mess before. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Ah, well, actually this is copied directly from a Wild Mass Guessing page, but I thought they were really wonderful theories.

'Milla is not in control of her emotional problems like she claims, she's repressing it

For one if you see Raz through her eyes, he's a baby and she most likley sees all of the kids that way. Look at what her nighmare creatures are like, They are always calling out to her, reminding her of her pain. she tells Raz they are under control, but anyone can tell they are just trapped behind a thin cage, and there are so many of them. You also find them in a toybox, in a hidden room, in a tiny corner, she tells Raz to get out of it, and it's filled to the brim with children stuff.....the poor girl is a psychic powder cake of repressed emotions. For all we know she could of had another stage in a sequel dealing with this factor.

* Jossed. The wiki says that this isn't bottling up the nightmares but containing them to prevent them from causing problems, and that this is what every mentally healthy person does to deal with these issues. '

Oh, well, that works too. lol

I like the term "psychic powder cake" lol... Delicious explodey mental cake.

Speaking of which, I'm nearly out. :\

' Coach Oleander is one of those vulnerable to the psychosis-inducing effects of Psitanium, which is why he went crazy.

AFAIK, nowhere does it say that psychics only get boosted from Psitanium and only normals go crazy from it. It just says that "weak minds" are vulnerable to it. Coach Oldeander had a rough life, both with his daddy issues and the fact that he got kicked out of every branch of the military. One would venture a guess that his mind might be slightly... vulnerable.

Normally, he could safeguard his mind well enough for Psychonauts business. However, when he took the job at Whispering Rock, he was surrounded by large quantities of Psitanium. The other counselors also had troubled pasts, but they already had safeguards: Ford's mind was so broken that Psitanium actually healed him, Milla was already a master at repressing her Nightmares and other instabilities, and Sasha was so mentally together that upsetting him would take more Psitanium than God. Oleander was a bit more weak, so being around all that Psitanium got to him. It amplified his Freudian Excuse in his mind and upset him, leading to him coming up with such a crazy plan as "steal children's brains to build death tanks." It lead him to believe that taking over the world would "cure" him.

This would explain why he was Easily Forgiven—it wasn't really "him" trying to take over the world, it was the Psitanium acting. While Raz's foray into his mind couldn't cure his issues with Psitanium, he did help "bury" his Freudian Excuse deeper, making it more difficult for the Psitanium to get to it and bring the crazy to the surface. '

Haha, this is a very interesting thread to read through B)

Oh yeah!

'Loboto is Bobby's father.

This has been brought up before on pretty much every Psychonauts forum ever, so why not list it here? Their skintones and bodytypes are very similar, and they both have high, creaking voices.

When Bobby was little, watching his father go slowly insane scarred and warped him into the aggressive child he is today. When the doctor was carted off to the asylum, his family crumbled financially without his dental career to support them. Bobby's mother changed their names from Loboto back to Zilch, her maiden name, so they wouldn't be associated with a sadistic lunatic.

* Assuming that Loboto is even his real last name. '

So, I'm only posting these between others posts, so bump if you want to see more, even though the rest of them aren't great in numbers.

This would explain why he was Easily Forgiven—it wasn't really "him" trying to take over the world, it was the Psitanium acting. While Raz's foray into his mind couldn't cure his issues with Psitanium, he did help "bury" his Freudian Excuse deeper, making it more difficult for the Psitanium to get to it and bring the crazy to the surface. '

This is also corroborated in cat scan #3 on page 59 of your handouts.

xD

Oh, this is a short one...

'Psychic powers accelerate puberty.

Explains all the ToyShipping going on. '

Okay, um... sorry... ToyShipping? *lost* o.O

Toyshipping- A pairing between children.

These two are short, and connected, so I'll post them both

'Ford Cruller is a Goon.

* He loves bacon. Goons love bacon.

The meaty plants didn't come from Oleander's mind; they came from Ford's.

Ford loves bacon. He's the only person who professes a love of meat. The whole meat motif that Raz saw in his mind could have been Ford's invention, not Oleander's; Ford had already infiltrated Raz's mind during the Tutorial introduction. The only person who told Raz that Oleander's father was a butcher was Ford, and nothing else is seen outside the dream world to establish that fact. Oleander's memories of his father could have been altered by Ford, certainly an easy feat for "the greatest Psychonaut ever". '

Oh yeah!

'Loboto is Bobby's father.

This has been brought up before on pretty much every Psychonauts forum ever, so why not list it here? Their skintones and bodytypes are very similar, and they both have high, creaking voices.

When Bobby was little, watching his father go slowly insane scarred and warped him into the aggressive child he is today. When the doctor was carted off to the asylum, his family crumbled financially without his dental career to support them. Bobby's mother changed their names from Loboto back to Zilch, her maiden name, so they wouldn't be associated with a sadistic lunatic.

* Assuming that Loboto is even his real last name. '

So, I'm only posting these between others posts, so bump if you want to see more, even though the rest of them aren't great in numbers.

I FATHERED NO CHILDREN. THIS IS A SLANDEROUS LIE.

If I had, that child would be a genious! That much is obvious.

And finally, the last theory!

YOU HAVE TO GET IT AT THIS POINT, MAN. S'NOT MINE.

' Dr. Loboto has something akin to Science Related Memetic Disorder

Look at at his lab. He's a dentist. Even if he were naturally intelligent enough to build and concoct the things he does, he wouldn't have the knowhow. The Psitanium gave him a mild, uncontrollable form of telepathy and a penchant for inventing when it drove him insane. When you give an already sadistic, unstable doctor a mind exploding with ideas that came out of nowhere, it's a recipe for disaster. Notice how he doesn't seem to care about the psychic apocalypse as much as Oleander. He's just along for the ride. As long as someone is giving him money and test subjects, it's all good. If people are getting hurt, well, that's an added bonus. '

To clear up Science Related Memetic Disorder

'Mad science isn't just about cool gadgets or revenge; it's a compulsion. The Mad Scientist really is insane, with an actual psychological disorder that causes both brilliance and madness.

In some series, this leads to a story line in which one or more of the Mad Scientists (or perhaps some saner allies) seek out a cure for their condition. Invariably, however, the cure comes at a cost, usually the loss of their terrible, manic genius, or else their energy and drive across the board. In other series, there may already exist a treatment for it, but someone forgets (or "forgets") to take it one day...

Although obviously more extreme than in real life, this sort of thing is Truth In Television (or other media): Some medications used to treat mental illness leave the patient drained of energy, unable to think clearly, cut off from the full use of the senses, or any combination thereof. This is one factor in some of the many people who refuse to take their medication, preferring insanity to a lackluster funk.

Named for the communicable form of mad science in the webcomic A Miracle Of Science. This is primarily a Webcomics trope, as few other media give the degree of attention to mad scientists that some webcomics do.

Compare With Great Power Comes Great Insanity, which, depending on the series, may be either the cause or the result of SRMD. Likely to lead to a No Medication For Me situation. Not to be confused with Memetic Mutation. '

Something interesting I found on that page under 'Real Life'

'John Nash, the schizophrenic mathematician portrayed in A Beautiful Mind, found that his medications drained his energy and left him unable to accomplish anything, so he stopped taking them, electing instead to battle his mental illness with cold, methodical logic. '

Sign in to follow this