Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Awesome

theories

France has Hulk squirrels. No wonder little Nappy was so paranoid. "Mon Dieu! Mes écrous!"

Marmot_in_France.jpg

Marmot_in_France.jpg.8cb9df398d8dc5c989f

Hmmm, I've been thinking about Nightmares...

Theoretically, everyone has these, but we only see them in two minds (Milla and Boyd). Now, maybe that was unintentional, or they did it on purpose, but those two characters are precisely the ones who have a fire incident in their past. That, in addition to the Nightmare having a head which is rather obviously a gas mask, got me thinking that these may be just the "flavour" of fire-related Nightmares.

Discuss.

Sounds like an interesting concept. I want to say the hand of Galachio could be like that, but Milla mentioned it being odd so... Dunno. I wonder if Nightmares could take on different attributes like that, and have different areas that they attack you from? Or, perhaps, maybe they're not exactly nightmares, but that's just a name given to them.

Yes, blatant thread necromancy, I know.

So, I've been considering this for awhile, but what if The Hand is actually Raz's primary psychic power (hydrokinesis) turned against him?

- Raz's last name is Aquato. His family wouldn't be named that for a good reason, except for cruel Irony. It also is know that Raz inherited his powers from his father, and that psychic powers can run strongly in families, such Elka's. Elka's last name is "Doom", because her family had precognitive abilities and thus the power to foresee, well, impending doom. So, it is likely that Raz's family's main psychic ability used to be hydrokinesis.

- Why wouldn't the Galachenos make there arch nemeses the instrument of their own demise? It would explain why every (psychic) member of the family has died from drowning, and would make the curse easyer to put in place. It could easily be genetic, or a mind virus.

- If The Hand is part of Raz's mind, and it grows stronger as Raz's Psychic power does. This would explain why Raz's father wanted to keep Raz from becoming a powerful psychic like he himself apparently is; Augustus knows he's doomed and thinks Raz might be able to avoid the terrible fate if he doesn't realize his powers.

Nice.

Okay, so I have a Psychonauts-in-general theory. It's kinda odd and long, so sit back and relax.

(Not much of a backstory was given on their origin, so I'm just doing what I always thought it was)

The Psychonauts were originally created in 194X, during the midst of the Cold War. The government was undergoing some odd phases (i.e. Project A119-nuke the moon), and noticed that around the country, there were several specific spots where mental conditions were skyrocketing. Namely, Whispering Metropolis (formerly Whispering Rock), Oregon. The governnment had to cover this up, as they couldn't afford another "Lake Oblongota". So, they set out for solutions with science. Well, they come up with something completely different; they found a small group of psychics, who actually practiced something different than the usual street-corner shows or circus acts. These people had found a way to enter people's minds and solve their problems. Of course, the government quickly hired them, and told them about the problem. Unfortunately, it was tough for the psychics to enter minds as it was, so the government quickly hired more psychics and had them collaborate with the researchers to create psychoportals. They distributed them, sent the psychics to Whispering Metropolis, problem solved. The psychics were only occasionally brought back, but they were recognized as government agents. When they retired, the government shoved all the records in a drawer in a back room in the Pentagon and forgot about it.

Okay, now, fast-forward to WWII.

America was, obviously, at war, and things really sucked in general. On top of that, the states weren't doing so well either. There were a lot of problems, mostly involving terrorists and criminals that the police force and everyone else just couldn't handle. The pentagon knew they were running out of options. But there had been a recent survey that proved that the number of psychics worldwide had grown significantly in the past few decades. Someone in the Pentagon found the files, labeled "Operation Psychonauts" and decided to revive it, and everyone else had to grudgingly accept, thinking it a stupid idea, but they were out of options. Surprisingly, it worked. Many of the psychics were skilled not just in future sight, but in TK, pyrokinesis, levitation, etc, etc, etc. These new mental warriors (dubbed 'Psychonauts') were given their own titles and places in U.S. safety, up with the police force and the coast guard, headquartered in New York, when a new problem arose.

Psychic criminals.

They weren't really a problem at the time for the Psychonauts, but as time wore on, they grew worried. They needed more agents, worldwide. A relatively new agent, Ford Cruller, had a plan. There had been studies shown that psychic powers are normally recognized around the age of seven, and a strange, deep-mauve mineral with a silvery luster had been found worldwide in places where there were more psychics and crazies, brought by meteorites millions of years ago, which enhanced psycic powers (appropriately dubbed 'Psytanium). So they set off to find new recuits, children. They trained the children as much as they could, using psitanium-rich soils, disguising them as summer camps, with great success. One of the agents kept referring to the children as 'psycadets' rather than the proper term, 'Psychonauts in Training'. But, Psycadet was shorter, and it just kinda stuck.

...and that's all I got.

Psychonauts, Cold War, WALLOFTEXT. tl;dr. This isn't really a theory so much as a summarized fanfic.

Also, if you start in 195X and then fast-forward to WWII, you really need to pay more attention in history class.

Psychonauts, Cold War, WALLOFTEXT. tl;dr. This isn't really a theory so much as a summarized fanfic.

Also, if you start in 195X and then fast-forward to WWII, you really need to pay more attention in history class.

Hehe. Owned.

If you're looking back and you fast-forward you'll actually go back really fast, so I believe she is correct.

I think Whispering Pines is under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense. Razputin will soon be partnered with Hellboy for some very interesting adventures.

If you're looking back and you fast-forward you'll actually go back really fast

Only if you're recounting events in reverse. =P

Wait...SHIT.

Hey guys I got an update on the Xbox 360 version of psychonauts, what that about?

Only one way to find out...

Wait...SHIT.

Hey guys I got an update on the Xbox 360 version of psychonauts, what that about?

Only one way to find out...

What?

Unfortunately, grey squirrels and yellow chickadees inhabit just about every land mass in the Northern Hemisphere, so that won't narrow it down. I'd concentrate on the lizards and dragonflies.

Don't forget the fish.

About the birds in the Brain Tumbler Experiment: I always thought it was an easter sort of thing. You know, bunnies and eggs. I don't know, The World Shall Taste My Eggs was a wtf moment to me, and easter eggs was my only explaination for it.

I like the nightmare idea. It's backed up by the fact that the arena Rax fights the nightmare in Boyd's mind is made of fire.

As for the Raz=Hydrokinesis, I'm iffy on that. It makes sense, but at the end, when Raz father givs him his power, it resembles fire. Also, Raz's psychic enegy is red-orange.

Uh, isn't there an update history/description on 360? It's probably some very minor thing like gridsleep said.

Anyway, back on topic. I think the "hand of Galochio" is indeed the product of Raz's own fears coupled with his family's inherited psychic powers. Curse or no curse, Raz believes it strongly enough that it manifests itself physically in water. Which would make Raz, ironically, a very powerful hydrokinetic.

Uh, isn't there an update history/description on 360? It's probably some very minor thing like gridsleep said.

Anyway, back on topic. I think the "hand of Galochio" is indeed the product of Raz's own fears coupled with his family's inherited psychic powers. Curse or no curse, Raz believes it strongly enough that it manifests itself physically in water. Which would make Raz, ironically, a very powerful hydrokinetic.

I just like the idea for the Irony Points.

I think all psychic powers we've seen so far fall into two categories: Telepathy/mental influence, and telekinesis.

Telepathy: Clairvoyance and confusion rely on the ability to either read or influence other minds, and I believe invisibility is simply tricking another mind into believing they don't actually see you. This is debatable, but I'll get to that in a second.

Telekinesis: In addition to obvious telekinesis, levitation, pyrokinesis, psi-blast, and shield are all forms of physical manipulation via psychic control:

- Levitation is essentially self-TK. Pretty basic.

- Pyrokinesis is simply TK on an atomic level, exciting molecules to the point where they actually burst into flames. Electrokinesis and hydrokinesis would work the same way, on different physical levels.

- Psi-blast is an extremely focused, violent explosion of psychic energy manifested in physical form. All aggressive energy is released at once, focused at a specific target, like shooting a pool ball across a table with an impact from a cue ball.

- Shielding involves either compressing the surrounding atmosphere to the point where nothing can penetrate it (creating a literal, physical shield of densely packed atmospheric molecules), or intensely focusing telekinesis on the immediate area to stop or reverse all movement entering personal space, forming the ultimate "personal bubble." Given that the intense psychic energy is partially manifested as visible light, obscuring any possible view of a physical shield, it's hard to tell which of these would be.

Back to invisibility. One could argue that this power involves actually bending light around one's body, Predator style, making it an acute form of telekinesis. Chloe's myspace, however, indicates that even when invisible, her cat can still see her (which pleases Chloe). While cats see differently than humans, they do see in nearly the same spectrum of visible light (and invisibility works very well on camp cougars); we can therefore conclude that invisibility is a form of mental control. Chloe wanted her cat to see her, and probably failed to block her cat's awareness of her purposely, though subconsciously. This means that a Psychonaut can fool a guard while infiltrating, but would be vulnerable to electronic surveillance, and would still show up on security video records.

Thoughts?

- Shielding involves either compressing the surrounding atmosphere to the point where nothing can penetrate it (creating a literal, physical shield of densely packed atmospheric molecules), or intensely focusing telekinesis on the immediate area to stop or reverse all movement entering personal space, forming the ultimate "personal bubble." Given that the intense psychic energy is partially manifested as visible light, obscuring any possible view of a physical shield, it's hard to tell which of these would be.

I think shielding is the levitation bubble turned into a sheild by Raz crouching inside it. The bubble in the sheild changes color when you change the color of the ball. Altough, he later makes a shield big enough to sheild him and Lili, so could the levitaion bubble be changed in size?

Another theory: Is Raz huge in a normal sized Lungfishopolis or is it a small Lungfishopolis with a normal sized Raz?

I think shielding is the levitation bubble turned into a sheild by Raz crouching inside it. The bubble in the sheild changes color when you change the color of the ball. Altough, he later makes a shield big enough to sheild him and Lili, so could the levitaion bubble be changed in size?

Another theory: Is Raz huge in a normal sized Lungfishopolis or is it a small Lungfishopolis with a normal sized Raz?

He's normal sized. Lungfish are small, as they say at some point in the game.

But then why can't he use levitation? The levitation ball collapses as if it can't take his weight, implying that he's heavier, larger, than normal.

But then why can't he use levitation? The levitation ball collapses as if it can't take his weight, implying that he's heavier, larger, than normal.

My guess?

There's a lot of mixed gasses in the air, including helium. Basically, levitation is just compacting helium into that little ball (which looks like a baloon, and is technically a thought bubble), making levitation a branch of areokinesis or something.

Sign in to follow this