Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Awesome

theories

He can't use levitation in Lungfishopolis so it feels like a Godzilla type movie. That's probably how far the team took it. For your theories, maybe he feels he's bigger than usual, and therefore he believes his normal bubble collapses under his weight.

Hm, good point.

Going back to an older theory, I think the hand of galachio is only made of fear, not curse or his own power. If the hand could appear in Gloria's theatre, that marks agaist it being Raz's hydrokinesis, since that would have been made of cardboard, not water. That also could count against it being curse.

I definitely support the fear of water theory. I never learned how to swim, and when I'm in deep water it feels like I'm being pulled down. If I was told I was cursed when growing up I imagine it'd be even worse.

With Psychonauts II potentially being made, I thought this thread might be useful again. So I'm bumping so we can start using it again. Or I could make a new topic and put links in it to the old topics in. We have a lot of theory topics floating around here....

No, that is not grave dirt on my shovel. Why would you think that?

Well, I don't mind what you do but if you made another thread, I might have to copy-paste this. xD

This pretty-much ALL relates to Boyd. Kind of ironic that I'm writing this elaborate, improbable and long theory about a conspiracy theorist and his own theory...

It's a bit spoilerish but:

I have this theory that the reason Boyd's mind is so hilarious is that he started the conspiracy - and created the G-Men - as material for a comedic persona; a caricature of the typical conspiracy theorist. If Psychonauts IS set in the future, I'd like to think it was a blog; he might have started it as a teenager or in his 20s (that's a bit of a pointless detail, but I'd make it that way if I ever wrote this as fanfic).

But I reckon he was mentally unstable before then - albeit mildly; it only truly showed when something made him snap completely. He started writing his theories completely seriously, and he got fired when people noticed they were taking over his life. Then that activated his pyromaniac side, etc. etc. etc.

There's also a thing he mutters occasionally: "G-Man. Go-Man. Goat-Man. I thought you worked for me!" Maybe that's a metaphor for the fact he's not in control of the idea of the G-Men anymore - well, it's more likely he doesn't trust them, despite them trying to find and destroy the Milkman programming.

The Rainbow Squirts' existence is harder to explain, but it's either a connection from the cookies Oleander brought or something deeper. Maybe when he was a child, his mother led a girl scout group, and one of them tortured his first cat, Seymour. It probably ISN'T that deep, but it would explain why they're so ruthless/evil in his mind. (I know, it's another person who might have been driven insane over a childhood pet, but it would explain why the cat's involved, and why the girl scouts feature so heavily.)

He was brought to Thorney Towers by Oleander after the asylum he inhabited shut down (it was probably the same place Oleander found Loboto, Fred, Crispin, Edgar and possibly Gloria and Sheegor). Boyd himself stayed so he could continue to write his theories on the walls. I'll assume Oleander knew of the pyromania through mind-reading or asylum records, making him a convenient candidate for destroying Thorney Towers.

It previously bugged me why Oleander didn't just go into Boyd's head to create the Milkman programming, but the Psychonauts might have something that tracks the usage of Psycho-Portals, and he might have to deal with the G-Men if they did exist before then (though there might not be as many of them).

The other side of the argument is that to be hypnotized, you have to be willing, and Boyd, being paranoid as he is, wouldn't be willing. But since he's absolutely absorbed in his theories, he could probably be convinced that focusing on the pocket watch would reveal some important detail. Plus, it kind of looks like the hypnosis was psychically empowered, though that might just be the art style of the memory reels.

Oh, and Boyd is probably psychic. He uses pyrokinesis twice (though that could just be an anomaly side-effect of the Psitanium), and he'll mention "That little fat kid, with the bunny" when he's rambling, which is possibly a detail he stumbled upon from Oleander's memories, justifying the foreshadowing. (Doesn't explain why Oleander had his inner child in plain view, but maybe it takes some effort to block it, so he only does so when he's around confirmed psychics.)

But really, I only thought of all of this that way because it'd be fun to write. Feel free to rip my theories to pieces or whatever. xD

True...

I've never tried punching Edgar's house of cards... D: I'll do it when I replay the game! xP

Maybe their powers are related to the fact that you get badges in both of their minds...

Damn, I forgot to mention: I don't think Boyd ever became sane. At least, not completely. If you go back into his mind after you battle the psychoblaster death tank, the eyes staring from dustbins/windows and cameras are still there. So the paranoia could be underlying, but it might not take much for him to crack once again. (Though my main reason for coming up with that is I wanted to RP him just as insane as he was at first...)

Yeah, Boyd could be a latent psychic. Or the animators just couldn't be bothered to render him lighting his molotovs. But your theory is far more likely to be true.

It's actually a general theory. I'm not the first one to think about it- Like Loboto and Bobby being closely related.

Sign in to follow this