Sign in to follow this  
Pokitfoxx

Estimated release ?

I also found this. Anyone know if this is real concept art?

full20040606182810.jpg

My guess is that is the original painting on which the background in the game's intro is based. I don't know what the process was exactly back then but my understanding is the artists would paint the backgrounds which would then be digitised to the 320x200 (or whatever) resolution for the game.

9fHJx1U.jpg

I think in that time I had monitor 14'' and game was good with graphic resolution.So for new version and larger nowadays screen HD would be enough for 2D adventure game.

I hope the same developers that did the monkey island special editions takes on DOTT special edition since they did a good job although they messed up guybrush and made him look like the later games version instead of small and stumpy. Was it double fine that did them remasters or not? If not why didnt they?

If doublefine is just doing what they did with grim as in adding so little and not bothering to redraw it all in hd like monkey island special edition games were remastered then i feel for what will happen to DOTT as it might just be a upres with pixelated artifacted art that hasnt been redone and wont look any better in a higher res like 1080p and maybe add shadows and retouch the music and voice overs. If so i would be disappointed like i was with grim as i wanted all new hd art tho the exact same just cleaner. But we didnt get it.

It was actually LucasArts who did the Monkey Island ones, and they're not around anymore. Double Fine had nothing to do with them.

But apparently LucasArts were working on their own DOTT:SE before they were shut down. Last thing I remember is someone from Double Fine saying that they may or may not use some of the assets from them, depending on whether or not they like them.

It sounds like the DOTT special edition is going to have more in the way of new graphics, as opposed to Grim Fandango. We won't find out too much about the art until we see it for ourselves, but I get the impression it will be redrawn (like the Monkey Island ones were) but that doesn't necessarily mean that the graphics will be redesigned as such. Just redrawn so that the sprites and backgrounds are more detailed and less pixel-y. But like I said, we don't know too much about the graphics yet.

I think they are doing something about the music too. I remember a few fans and one from DF talking about that in another thread here a while back. Not sure if it's going to be enhanced digital music, or if they're using a real orchestra, but I recall them saying that they would do something special with the music!

Basically, as they are calling this a "special edition" rather than "remastered" I think we can expect them to do a fair amount with it, like LucasArts did with the Monkey Island ones.

Is this still coming out?
I just saw people working on it as I sat back down at my desk!

I just saw people working on it as I sat back down at my desk!

You should go ask them how it's going and report back :)

I still see Oliver talking about the coding side on Twitter