Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
McNuggit

Idea - Depose a reagent/spouse

After looking at the hybrids now, And playing through a few times, I have an idea for the game

The ability to remove a reagent or their spouse.

The penalty for this is you have to kill them, you don't get them back. If that isn't enough Don't allow their relics to pass on.

Going through with the hybrids having to much of certain mixed classes, or the bloodline is becoming very asmathtic and slow, I sometimes regret my reagent choices. I know the whole idea of the game is to have the bloodlines pass on traits and relics, but sometimes you regret that choice you made 100 years ago, and the ability to remove a reagent would be an option at that time.

What do the rest of you think?

In my opinion, it's a very good idea.

The regent should have the option to repudiate the partner.

For the aftermath, your solution is quite harsh.

I think we could have the possibility to send the partner in the crucible or the research guild. With some negative change in the personality.

Like our medieval king that send spouse in covenant for political interest or "heir-making" issue.

I agree the balance may need some work, but overall I would love to see the developers implement something similar to this. I just know they may have an issue with just putting them back in the hero pool, and I thought there should be a downside to do it.

I agree, being able to retire a regent after a certain age (50-60+?) should be an option. They could return to fight in the roster or stay in the keep for a short term bonus to trainee exp.

If this does happen - and I think it'd need to be qualified as opposed to a "whenever you want" thing - I'd like to see the regent and partner retired in tandem rather than individually. These poor people have to deal my hand of god so much already, it'd be cruel to sling them around even more. I've already seen some pretty elaborate family trees thanks to repeated remarriage - as in 3 or more family emblems in the "Children" display on their profile - and don't need to see that get even weirder.

If you're kicking a king off his throne, at least give him the decency of settling down with his wife afterwards.

I'm with the devs on the opinion that letting the regents just return to the retinue whenever they want would just lead to a lot of pointless min-maxing and micro managing.

What I WOULD like though, is the possibility to appoint the regent and their partner on the same screen, to make the options you have clear.

Yeah, as soon as you can remove a regent at will, the choice means less. You could get around this by introducing some sort of penalty, but honestly, I think it's fine to live with the choice. If there were more events which allowed a regent to become un-regented though, I wouldn't be against that.

Maybe I'm missing something as well, It's been a while since I tried. Can you put a new bloodline on the throne after the reagent has died? The game always seems to force me to put on of his offspring on the throne.

I'm with the devs on the opinion that letting the regents just return to the retinue whenever they want would just lead to a lot of pointless min-maxing and micro managing.

What I WOULD like though, is the possibility to appoint the regent and their partner on the same screen, to make the options you have clear.

Yes, that's something that I've found myself wanting as well. More than once I've appointed a regent, realized that their partner choices are terrible, but can't un-appoint them. The "confirm" step should be at the end of that flow, not after regent. Basically, always confirm after partner (leaving screen triggering confirming single regent), and allow us to select a couple we like/won't produce the wrong class.

Anyway, I really shouldn't be posting my own suggestions to this forum. Need to find time to work on it after other features.

Maybe I'm missing something as well, It's been a while since I tried. Can you put a new bloodline on the throne after the reagent has died? The game always seems to force me to put on of his offspring on the throne.

You cannot change the ruling bloodline after it's been appointed, unless the house in question dies out. That's why it's veeeery important who you decide to make reagents (and the game should probably explain that to you better).

Once a keep is given to a Bloodline, it stays in the bloodline (unless the bloodline disappears, of course).

EDIT : What is not clear, though, is : While a Keep is without regent, the Colors of the Bloodline are not shown on the world map, making it unclear why you cannot appoint anyone else on the throne.

The more I'm stuck with the choices I make, the more I feel those choices mattered.
Indeed.

In my opinion, the main problem with a Regent stuck on the throne is the fertility loss that comes with age. A bloodline that stop breeding can eventually put an end to the bloodline, leading to risks of losing relics, and even putting the game in danger.

What I thought (and already posted about it) was : maybe allow in advance to put choose the Heir (Next in line to the throne) in advance, who would be like a second regent in a castle, along with his partner. The heir could make babies as well, thus preventing the Line extinction.

The secondary "problem" is that older regents are generally lower level, and the option to remove them from their position would allow the trainees to grow in level significantly faster. The way the game is balanced, getting "level 10 trainees" would happen really, really fast. Something else would need to be done, to keep some balance.

For these two problems, I have read many times on the forum that people quite enjoy the "Heart disease" trait, that kills the regent before he loses fertility, and before his level becomes "too low".

I think the only way I'd like this kind of option is if the regent has a chance to say "No." Maybe trigger a one-on-one combat with the sibling/child/niece/nephew sent to replace him/her. That would require some additional AI work, and I don't know if that's really worth the time...

Actually, my brain just sketched out a whole big multi-phase event tree for this option with good and bad endings... I'm not going to bother writing it up unless someone actually wants to hear about it...

Generally speaking, though, I think it would be hard to disincentivize a depose option strongly enough to prevent players from abusing it, while still making it work mechanically and thematically. I love how stressful the decision of regent can be, and I think it should remain an incredibly significant and long-lasting option.

The more I think about this idea, the less I like it. It screws up the game flow way too much.

Right now, you turn on the timeline, and the game stops when a regent or partner dies and prompts you to do something about it. If you put in a system that lets you retire a ruler in Old Age, you can't do that anymore. Instead, you're going to keep starting and stopping the timeline to double check that you haven't let any regents slip into old age, since it means you have a lower-leveled, lower-fertility unit on the throne. The "right" way to play becomes this herky-jerky micromanagement of checking your rulers' age brackets. Which also means shorter reigns, which means more regents & partners to monitor over 300 years.

The Longevity/Heart Disease issue is a tangential matter to deal with in isolation. Off the top of my head, I'd have it affect when the age brackets kick in. That way a unit with Heart Disease is losing years off of all three age brackets rather than just off of his less-useful Old Age years. And vice versa for longevity; drag their young and prime years on a little longer than normal to adjust for their extended lifespan.

The more I think about this idea, the less I like it. It screws up the game flow way too much.

Right now, you turn on the timeline, and the game stops when a regent or partner dies and prompts you to do something about it. If you put in a system that lets you retire a ruler in Old Age, you can't do that anymore. Instead, you're going to keep starting and stopping the timeline to double check that you haven't let any regents slip into old age, since it means you have a lower-leveled, lower-fertility unit on the throne. The "right" way to play becomes this herky-jerky micromanagement of checking your rulers' age brackets. Which also means shorter reigns, which means more regents & partners to monitor over 300 years.

That's exactly what the devs said about this! Are you sure you're not just remembering what you read a while ago?

Can you point me to the place where the devs talked about this?

I think my main problem is for a few of my playthroughs I've had an entire bloodline become asthmatic, or slow, or both, and then There doesn't seem anything I can do to weed out that trait. I think I would be fine with a 33% chance when a reagent dies you have an option of installing a new bloodline on that throne, Maybe it causes more strife and battles happen sooner, but I'd rather have a small option to replace a bloodline, than no options.

I got the point where I had my archers where asthmatic and had a speed of 4, holding up the group. I was looking for a solution. This is what I came up with.

@McNuggit: found it! It was on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/246110/discussions/0/617319460789300094/

Slow and astmatic...honestly, those are not great, but they can be played around. Asthmatic on a hunter is actually not the worst, since they get their full movement back every time they take a shot. Slow really sucks, but around mid-game you can research haste hooch to solve that problem right up! I had a slow caberjack with haste hooch who was just epic in one of my playthroughs :).

As for getting stuck, the best solution is just run a pair of very fertile people, and then promote the people without the really crippling stats.

Nervous is irredeemable though. Always avoid Nervous.

I'd love to be able to force a regent to "take the white", and send them off to the sagewrite's guild.

Sign in to follow this