Sign in to follow this  
liquidsnakehpks

Minimum System Requirements are extremely high :(

How do you know how far along they were?

I don't. I'm just saying they've only got two days to update the requirements.

Any reason why they wouldn't be able to adjust the requirements even after release?

Any reason why they wouldn't be able to adjust the requirements even after release?

They could, but it would be better if we got it before or when it's released, wouldn't you agree?

Brute force ftw =)

I just hope with those system requirements that it will run 60 fps! :D

They could, but it would be better if we got it before or when it's released, wouldn't you agree?

Aye. It's not looking good for those with older machines so far... but there's still time. Fingers crossed for you guys!

For the record, I have a 2008 x86 desktop which came with 2GB of RAM and was recently upgraded to 4GB. I also have a 2012 x64 laptop (not exactly old) with 4GB of RAM which can run games like Brütal Legend, Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed, etc, on high settings. All of these games require 'just' 1GB/2GB, how can Grim Fandango need 4GB? I can understand that they gave these requirements just to play safe, but the amount of RAM required just doesn't make sense.

For the record, I have a 2008 x86 desktop which came with 2GB of RAM and was recently upgraded to 4GB. I also have a 2012 x64 laptop (not exactly old) with 4GB of RAM which can run games like Brütal Legend, Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed, etc, on high settings. All of these games require 'just' 1GB/2GB, how can Grim Fandango need 4GB? I can understand that they gave these requirements just to play safe, but the amount of RAM required just doesn't make sense.

Maybe it's something they based on Steam's data. If 95% of users have 4+GB these days, maybe they don't care about suggesting it will work for less. I don't know.

Hi folks!

It's true the min spec for Grim Fandango Remastered is relatively high. That's due to decisions made early on to require OpenGL 3.3 as the minimum. We adjusted all specs accordingly. It was a tough call, as we knew it would limit some machines that are still capable but not quite at the min spec for the game.

I certainly understand your frustrations, but hope you get to play the game at some point. It'll be around for a long while now!

Hi folks!

It's true the min spec for Grim Fandango Remastered is relatively high. That's due to decisions made early on to require OpenGL 3.3 as the minimum. We adjusted all specs accordingly. It was a tough call, as we knew it would limit some machines that are still capable but not quite at the min spec for the game.

I certainly understand your frustrations, but hope you get to play the game at some point. It'll be around for a long while now!

I guess OpenGL 3.3 is half a decade old now.

Hi folks!

Are we supposed to take the requirements as final? If not, is there any chance to lower the minimum amount of RAM required?

Hi folks!

It's a 15-year-old game.

It's a 15-year-old game.

The original was a 15 year old game... but with the new Remastered graphics it's not going to have 15 year old specs.

Here are the final specs, which are just a little more precise but not lower. (We still need to get these posted on all the sites.)

Our compatibility testing resulted in 4 GB RAM requirement, so we cannot officially lower that, unfortunately.

---

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, AMD Athlon™ X2 2.8 GHz, or higher

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4650 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 / Intel HD 4000 Graphics, or equivalent

Hard Drive: 6 GB available space

Sound Card: Windows Compatible Card

Additional Notes: GPU that supports OpenGL 3.3 or higher

Memory: 4 GB of RAM

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4650 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 / Intel HD 4000 Graphics, or equivalent

Memory: 4 GB RAM

It's a 15-year-old game.

The original was a 15 year old game... but with the new Remastered graphics it's not going to have 15 year old specs.

Not that I care about this in the slightest, but the new remastered graphics don't look *that* good. It just looks like a beautiful, polished, cleaned-up version of the original graphics at a slightly higher resolution. It's not like they remade the game from scratch or anything.

(Full Disclosure: I pre-ordered on PS4, not PC, though I'll double-dip on PC at some point probably during a Steam Sale.)

Not that I care about this in the slightest, but the new remastered graphics don't look *that* good. It just looks like a beautiful, polished, cleaned-up version of the original graphics at a slightly higher resolution. It's not like they remade the game from scratch or anything.

Complex shadows, like the ones one display here, are extremely resource expensive. I'm guessing that's where the problem comes from.

Hmm, a 4GB RAM equipped system sounds fine (like a reasonable base these days) as well as OpenGL 3.3 (thinking of OS X), lots of CPU power. What about the VRAM?

It would be nice if the original files (like the english CD) could be provided for ScummVM usage as well.

Here are the final specs, which are just a little more precise but not lower. (We still need to get these posted on all the sites.)

Vic, is there anything you can say regarding what I asked?
...any idea whether there's something fundamentally preventing it from running on WinXP, or whether it's just not listed because you don't offer any official support for it?

We don't officially support Windows XP and have not tested it, so we're uncertain of the results.

Hmm, a 4GB RAM equipped system sounds fine (like a reasonable base these days) as well as OpenGL 3.3 (thinking of OS X), lots of CPU power. What about the VRAM?

[...]

Well, reading the more detailed specs, it's still 512 Mb Vram, or am i wrong?

Personally, i think, the specs are okay for me, even as i don't have a system with which i can play grim remastered.

Well on the one hand i got an old copie, thats perfectly suiteable for low spec systems (i don't have a windows-version with which it would be running tho ^^) And i have started playing Grim Fandango 2014 ... until my old pc broke.

But i have played it back than in the days when windows xp still was the newest windows ^^ so i have played it yet.

But, on ebay or somewhere you might be able getting a grim fandango copy that fits with low specs and a windows xp boot (i would recommend a windows xp boot without using any internet ^^ the security support totally stopped ... this is the one reason why it is not really an OS anyone should use on a regular basis! Especially not for anything like mails, surfing, all other internet stuff ^^ as it has been a topic in this threat ...)

Well okay, i get the argument that grim fandango remastered isn't exactly the perfect artifical world, i guess it would have been possible with lower specs. But it was made for the newer playstations. And i mean, i got a white macbook from 2010 that was never ment to be used for gaming in the first place anyway. So this game was made for gamer and gamer hardware.

Yes, there are a lot of double fine fans here, that ain't the typical gamer so double fine is also confronting me that i am soon not gonne be able to play everything i want ( i am used to not to be able playing everything that maybe would be nice ... like since a long time ^^).

Yes, there is a technical gap of systems that are too new to play the old grim fandango copies (that are hard to get anyway to be honest ;) i don't know if i played it 10 or 11 years ago the first time ^^ and i felt extremly lucky even back than, cause it was sold out than allready ) and a lot of systems that are to old for the remastered version.

But in like 5 years those systems gonne be to old for anything. So Grim Remastered is really for the future. (and okay, as i am living kinda technically in the past, as obviously a lot of us do: it's really for the present allready tho)

And that's the thought that really comforts me. It's gonne be still there - in the future!

And it's a really old game. The new shadows looks really very awesome. They didn't change the design. It still says: 90ties. And that is great, as it is like totally true to the original. Also the desing of grim was just perfect, with the art deco and stuff! But the Resolution changed from what? 600x800 to 19200 x 1080 (is the number higher? Sorry if it is!) and this game needs to be rendered as it is 3d. And the shadows indeed are incredibly naturalistic looking! They are like totally awesome! It is retro but the shadows give it a real world thing i love. I get the frustration as it seems to look like the same, kinda. As they where so totally true to the original. But it isn't the same thing anymore, really.

And it is 3D rendering. So ... it is a 3D game in 2015 ... ment for the playstation. And alike systems in PC world. For mac and linux also. So that is awesome. ( Especially linux! ;) ) But i am kinda a little sad my system is so weak. But that isn't exactly double fines fault.

My system allready is to weak for massive challice aswell.

Brütal Legend runs fine on my system. But not perfect also. As soon as i am in a car, the frame rate get really low.

And how old is Brütal Legend? Well. Really. My system doesn't run it as good as it was ment to be played.

And having people in this thread that are still even using xp says a lot (as long as you don't double boot and use a proper supported OS - only - for internet, really, it's just dangerous! If mircosoft doesn't give you security supports anymore, no one, for good reasons, will give you direct support).

Yhea. Sadly i am one of the poor guys having not a modern gaming system on my hands aswell. But as i said, it wasn't even really ment for gaming when i bought it. And it is 5 years old. It really isn't a gaming system anymore anyway.

I am just happy i never the lass can play games on it! And even games that are like totally new (and more like 2d ;) ) like broken age.

But yhea. With such an old system, you are more ment to play games that are like 3 years old or are really have more simple 3d graphics.

And i also can watch movies or read a book or something. Lately playing games became more of a thing for me. So i will invest in new hardware somewhen soon anyway.

I mean, i was kinda shocked when i read the system requirements the first time. But i understand it perfectly. There for, it will be even more awesome playing it, from an gaming expirience point of view, with all those shadows and stuff, when i am going to play it!

An old version of grim, with those pixelated textures back than and without the shadows... well you still can play it! get a virtual machine with xp and istall it on it. The game with low specs exist! ^^

Thanks for understanding!

An old version of grim, with those pixelated textures back than and without the shadows... well you still can play it! get a virtual machine with xp and istall it on it. The game with low specs exist! ^^

You can toggle into original render mode in the Remastered version. It certainly helps performance to play in that mode, although you miss out on all the new stuff.

@Poplion

Just read through Vic's sys reqs a page before, and i didn't read something about the VRAM there. If it will be 512MB, as a min req, for adventure gamers, including notebooks, this can be too much already.

Yeah, we're hoping to bring those down. It's just that the optimization work is still ongoing.
Greg, any idea whether there's something fundamentally preventing it from running on WinXP, or whether it's just not listed because you don't offer any official support for it?

You should test it in XP and let us know how it goes. If you're running Windows 7 you should be able to run it with slightly lower specs than is needed for Vista since 7 has many improvements and optimisations that help improve performance.

I don't understand why you'd want to run Windows XP on a system that can run this game anyway, seems like such a waste. Even if there isn't much difference in gaming performance, in just about everything else Windows 7 or 8 will be much better, and you can pick up Windows 7 licenses pretty cheap now.

well as i suspected that forced opengl 3.3 requirement will kill the game for me and anyone whos card does not support opengl 3.3 might pick it up later when i get a better system , There is no point in discussing stuff here any more , lets move on.

Well, turns out neither my home MacBook Pro or work Thinkpad are able to run Remastered - when did this happen to adventure games? *g*

Something to look forward to with my next hardware upgrade, then.

You should test it in XP and let us know how it goes.
Sure. The answer is that it won't run. On startup, it calls GetLocaleInfoEx from the Windows Kernel32.dll, which is available only since Vista. Unless someone knows a way to force it to ignore that error, that's it. Pity -- I would have liked to play it. Now I have to wait until I'm with a Win7 machine later next month.

@Vic & Greg -- if you could quickly reprogram it to use GetLocaleInfo instead, I'd be much obliged ;)

I don't understand why you'd want to run Windows XP on a system that can run this game anyway, seems like such a waste. Even if there isn't much difference in gaming performance, in just about everything else Windows 7 or 8 will be much better, and you can pick up Windows 7 licenses pretty cheap now.
Like I said, it's the 2GB Ram which I can't change. XP @2GB is great. Win 7 @2GB is not enough if you want to use it reasonably. The OS itself takes too much of it.

For those with Nvidia Optimus who are having OpenGL problems, try running the game with the Nvidia GPU instead of the integrated graphics card. It worked for me.

That can probably be modified (hacked) using Olydbg, or another real-time disassembler (if you want to give it a go). Otherwise yeah, the authors could just patch the one file and send it to you, if it works then it could do for unsupported XP support.

Win 7 @2GB is not enough if you want to use it reasonably. The OS itself takes too much of it.

How fast is your CPU? If it's even remotely recent then 2GB is robbing your system of performance, and XP x64 was reportedly never great (compared with Vista/7/8...).

I'm not dissing XP, it was a great OS. It was much more successful than Win2k released less than a year before it, and consequently as supported by MS for considerably longer. Cheers for letting everyone know in any case.

I might try that, if for nothing else than because I like to tinker. Maybe over the weekend.

And yeah, it's an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.2Ghz), the Manchester processor. So not really "recent", though it's been holding up astonishingly well. It'll probably see its ten year anniversary before I get around building a new system, heh.

A reasonably clocked P4 system can still run many games these days. Mostly the AGP-GPU is the bottleneck but if there's a decent one plugged in and you don't mind wasting your bucks for the energy bill, they're still working. I certainly understand the importance of being able to run a game on your specific system but XP is really outdated. Dunno, a 4 GB equipped Win7 system (with all the old hardware) makes more sense to me, never liked XP (ugly design, too many blue screens, ...). Maybe Win7 was Microsoft's first somehow reasonable enduser OS. Anyway, good luck.

I hope DF supports Mavericks for quite some time. Yosemite is horrible, it would be nice to see more competition from MS.