• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
liquidsnakehpks

Minimum System Requirements are extremely high :(

Isn't OpenGL 3.3 over five years old at this point? It's good going have a graphics card last that long! :) That said, I wonder if the optimizing for older cards is harder than you think? :-(

Most people have GPUs that support OpenGL 3.3 and higher, but a surprising number of gamers don't. Not that my particular situation matters much, but I, for one, don't have the money to upgrade my computer or buy a new one. Granted, my graphics card won't let me play most of the recent AA and AAA games, but I'm not bothered by it at all. It does run some older (4-5 years old) games with medium-maximum settings, plus most of the recent indies, which is all I need. But Grim Fandango? It's my favorite game ever, I instantly pre-ordered it as soon as I saw it on GOG's front page, and I would have done it all over again, even if I already knew there was no chance whatsoever it would run on my machine. I love it *that* much. I'm happy with the fact it's available for purchase again, and fortunately enough I can still run my original disc copy via ResidualVM, but it sure would have been sweet if they had taken into consideration all the people that want to enjoy this awesome classic of the adventure gaming and simply can't because of poor optimization or something like it.

People more in the know than me have pointed out that from what they can gather, this remaster could have been running on a 300MHz Pentium with Windows 2K and a GeForce2. From what I've seen in video live streams and other videos, I tend to agree. It's probably hard for them to have the game run on lower specs, at this time, but from what I can see it shouldn't have been that hard in the first place, if only Double Fine had a tech team at least as half as good as their creative one.

Isn't OpenGL 3.3 over five years old at this point?

And yet still not supported by lots of more recent laptop graphics cards including lots of Macbooks.

And yet still not supported by lots of more recent laptop graphics cards including lots of Macbooks.

I believe you're wrong about this. Intel HD Graphics 4000 is what the lowest Macbook model comes with -- and that supports up to OpenGL 4.0 on OSX and Windows, and 3.3 on Linux.

Here's my source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units#Sixth_generation

Lowest Macbook: http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-pro

What "recent" laptops come with HD Graphics 3000 or below? (I understand that this is the last generation that doesn't support OpenGL on Windows?) Thanks.

I believe you're wrong about this. Intel HD Graphics 4000 is what the lowest Macbook model comes with -- and that supports up to OpenGL 4.0 on OSX and Windows, and 3.3 on Linux.

Here's my source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units#Sixth_generation

Lowest Macbook: http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-pro

What "recent" laptops come with HD Graphics 3000 or below? (I understand that this is the last generation that doesn't support OpenGL on Windows?) Thanks.

I didn't say the current, brand new laptops, I said "more recent" than the advent of OpenGL 3.3.

Rather I was referring to plenty of older models, like ones running HD Graphics 3000, which are still reasonably current enough for there to be no express need to upgrade and which otherwise run plenty of far more graphically intense games.

Bah.... I got kinda burned on this. I bought the game without checking the specs, not expecting them to be so high for a remaster of an old game. But the openGL requirement prevents me from even starting the game.

Guess I'll be waiting until my next card upgrade... =(

Only disappointed that I can't play it with current specs, though. Happy to give 15 love dollars to DF anytime.

I didn't say the current, brand new laptops, I said "more recent" than the advent of OpenGL 3.3.

Rather I was referring to plenty of older models, like ones running HD Graphics 3000, which are still reasonably current enough for there to be no express need to upgrade and which otherwise run plenty of far more graphically intense games.

HD Graphics 3000 still supports OpenGL 3.3 on OSX and Linux, though. It's just Windows where there's a problem. I see what you mean, though. It's a shame for people with that particular card :(

The good news is that DF are apparently working on a fix: http://steamcommunity.com/app/316790/discussions/0/620703493334904433/#c611696927914322871

Maybe you should get over the fact that there are some people out there who prefer to use an OS they actually like regardless of the so called "risks". I am not naive and MS systems or software never were that secure (I even used IE a long time befor I finally switched to FF just because it was faster and more compatible - not because of the additional security. I don't really need that much security because I don't do online banking or such. And why shouldn't I post in forums like this while being on an unsecure system? Oh yes, someone could steal my username and post in my name - if he has fun in doing so I have no problem with it.

Internet security has nothing to do with PC security. Anyone can steal your username and password to this site because the connection is unsecured and in plain text, that's why you shouldn't use a password to this site that is similar to a password on a site requiring more security (like banking etc).

sigh i have the gog version now , i wish i could play it now asap but it will be a long wait till i meet the requirements , i hope some of the community figure out a alternative way to just play the original version , i really don't care about the remaster graphics at all.

sigh i have the gog version now , i wish i could play it now asap but it will be a long wait till i meet the requirements , i hope some of the community figure out a alternative way to just play the original version , i really don't care about the remaster graphics at all.

Did you try this workaround posted by Double Fine's Duncan Boehle earlier in the thread?

I've tested the game briefly on my 2011 Macbook Air at home and the game ran fine in Original mode, but I'm sorry to hear the menus aren't working! Intel HD 3000 is just below our min spec, so we might not be able to fix all of the problems with that system. But if you put this registry.sav file in the /Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/Doublefine/GrimFandango/ folder, it should launch the game in Original mode, and hopefully be much more playable.

Here's the updated registry.sav file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1489690/registry.sav

I can confirm that the workaround you guys posted worked, at least in order to lower the resolution scaling. The game crashes every ten minutes or so but it at least works for now.

Didn't see that post. Will give it a try when I get home.

Did you try this workaround posted by Double Fine's Duncan Boehle earlier in the thread?

I've tested the game briefly on my 2011 Macbook Air at home and the game ran fine in Original mode, but I'm sorry to hear the menus aren't working! Intel HD 3000 is just below our min spec, so we might not be able to fix all of the problems with that system. But if you put this registry.sav file in the /Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/Doublefine/GrimFandango/ folder, it should launch the game in Original mode, and hopefully be much more playable.

Here's the updated registry.sav file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1489690/registry.sav

The thing is, they didn't specify whether they're trying the game on PC or on a Mac. Does this fix work on PCs as well? If it does, then I'm trying it straight away!

The thing is, they didn't specify whether they're trying the game on PC or on a Mac. Does this fix work on PCs as well? If it does, then I'm trying it straight away!

No it doesn't. But it implies that there could be a registry key for the Windows version (or some settings configuration on the Linux one) that could launch the game in the original version.

That's why I asked if there was such a thing a few posts ago. No replies yet.

EDIT: vvvv Actually disregard the above, I am wrong. flesk bellow indicates the correct paths where the registry.sav file should be placed for every OS and GF remastered version;I tried it on Linux and it did work.

Sorry, I didn't think to check that myself before posting. I'm on a Linux computer myself and I believe that file is in the Saves directory directly under the game installation directory. I'll double check once I get on a computer tonight.

EDIT: Yeah, I just checked and the file paths to the registry.sav on Linux are ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Grim Fandango Remastered/Saves/registry.sav for Steam and ~/Games/Grim Fandango Remastered/game/bin/Saves/registry.sav for the DRM free version from GOG (I assume the Humble version is the same), where ~/Games is the directory I install DRM free games in.

I see the changelog has this posted:

"Buffers reworked to reduce video memory requirements"

Smiles

EDIT: Yeah, I just checked and the file paths to the registry.sav on Linux are ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Grim Fandango Remastered/Saves/registry.sav for Steam and ~/Games/Grim Fandango Remastered/game/bin/Saves/registry.sav for the DRM free version from GOG (I assume the Humble version is the same), where ~/Games is the directory I install DRM free games in.

No, you are right!I thought that because I couldn't find the indicated paths on my system that this was something that made sense and would work only for Mac OSX, but I tried it for the GOG DRM free version on Linux in the game/bin/Saves path and it seems to work. There was already a registry.sav because I can run the game properly on my desktop PC, so I backed that up and copied the one from this thread there. The game still starts with the Double Fine logo, but if you skip it with Esc or double click, you get the game in the original mode.

I don't think that this stops the early check for the OpenGL API support but it could help those who can launch the game, but can't switch to orginal mode because it crashes after the first cutscene.

No, you are right!I thought that because I couldn't find the indicated paths on my system that this was something that made sense and would work only for Mac OSX, but I tried it for the GOG DRM free version on Linux in the game/bin/Saves path and it seems to work. There was already a registry.sav because I can run the game properly on my desktop PC, so I backed that up and copied the one from this thread there. The game still starts with the Double Fine logo, but if you skip it with Esc or double click, you get the game in the original mode.

I don't think that this stops the early check for the OpenGL API support but it could help those who can launch the game, but can't switch to orginal mode because it crashes after the first cutscene.

yep unless you got past the open gl requirement check the fix is useless

Are there any plans to allow the game to run with the remastered graphics disabled for those that don't meet the requirements (without modifying the registry)? For example, alot of games allow worse graphics cards, but automatically disable certain graphics features, like dynamic shadows and lighting. Or could there at least be a way to disable the opengl check through the registry? If that's the only thing keeping us from playing the game, it shouldn't be too hard to make a way for us to disable it and enjoy the game without the remastered graphics. I think there are enough people that would gladly buy the game and play it without the remastered graphics.

One easy way to please sinking ships (to some degree) could be to offer the original files ready for ScummVM (uhm Residual) usage, adding them like those wallpapers (no one uses anymore) or the videos. I think it's nice having the original version available as well.

Depends on if they want to do it , i am hoping if someone in the community can come up with a fix if double fine cant

yhea, when you only can play it in original mode anyways, they should stop trying lowering the requirements and really should start thinking about sharing the original game along.

Maybe for them even the Residual Part is the Problem? Cause you can't play the original without residual? But than again, it is open source. There shouldn't be exactly a problem there.

yhea, when you only can play it in original mode anyways, they should stop trying lowering the requirements and really should start thinking about sharing the original game along.

The original mode is crashing too. It just seems like a massively buggy and badly put together port.

Well, original mode isn't a port, it's more like playing the remastered with the old 3d rendering of 98 really. So everything else is still the remastered thing.

It really is just more like lowest graphic settings of a remastered version.

That is why releasing the real game from 98 would exactly do what they are trying to involve into the remaster. I feel like maybe, they better release the old game ... as i am playing it right now, it's not as bad as i have thought first ^^

Just my two cents on the title topic

(premise: I know the team is actively working on this, but I just can't understand how they decided this was okay for 1.0)

the minimum requirements REALLY are absurd, if I can play the game FLAWLESSLY on my low-end 2009 iMac, but can't play it on my top-of-the-line 2011 MacBook Pro only because it's stuck (for personal reasons) on 10.8 Mountain Lion (= OpenGL 3.1), which by the way is a 2012 Operating System.

This really fails to achieve the "let's bring this long-lost game to modern players" goal, if a 2012 system isn't considered modern enough

This really fails to achieve the "let's bring this long-lost game to modern players" goal, if a 2012 system isn't considered modern enough

Yes, that is true.

It's more like a PS release and PS alike pc systems.

But your system is more like a 2011 system really.

My 2010 white macbook runs mavericks (very smooth also). Still i am pretty aware it is a 2010 system ;)

Everything that is older than 3 years is kinda out of the game, it seems to me. (at least from apple ... but apple isn't really a gamer company really) On the other hand, well, sooner or later it will be the same with quite some more games, for everyone who can't play grim now.

Edit: But wait, when you can play it on your 2009 imac ... what is the difference?

And if you got OpenGL 3.3 running on your 2009 imac, why not on your macbook? Okay, this whole OpenGL thing starts to confusing me. I don't even know what version of OpenGL i got or if i could update, because i have to few Vram anyway.

the minimum requirements REALLY are absurd, if I can play the game FLAWLESSLY on my low-end 2009 iMac, but can't play it on my top-of-the-line 2011 MacBook Pro only because it's stuck (for personal reasons) on 10.8 Mountain Lion (= OpenGL 3.1), which by the way is a 2012 Operating System.

Hmm. I know what you're saying, but Mavericks and Yosemite are both free upgrades. I guess it's a bit different, but it's not THAT dissimilar to insisting the game work with old drivers. Also, FWIW, Mountain Lion is OpenGL 3.2, not 3.1.

Edit: But wait, when you can play it on your 2009 imac ... what is the difference?

And if you got OpenGL 3.3 running on your 2009 imac, why not on your macbook? Okay, this whole OpenGL thing starts to confusing me. I don't even know what version of OpenGL i got or if i could update, because i have to few Vram anyway.

The difference is, the iMac is at my parents place (it's their computer now) meaning that in order to play Grim I specifically have to go visit them/use the iMac while they're not working on it (and they use it a lot)

The OpenGL thing is actually pretty simple: Apple bundles graphical driver updates (& most other drivers fwiw) in its OS releases and updates, so they're not user-upgradable; OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is stuck at OpenGL 3.2, while Mavericks introduced 3.3+ drivers (depending on the video card)

Hmm. I know what you're saying, but Mavericks and Yosemite are both free upgrades. I guess it's a bit different, but it's not THAT dissimilar to insisting the game work with old drivers. Also, FWIW, Mountain Lion is OpenGL 3.2, not 3.1.

True dat, but still 10.8 is a 2012 OS, it's not like IT archeology

(as I said I can't upgrade my laptop for personal reasons - very rare app compatibility issues - but I feel like I shouldn't be left behind like if I were on WinXP or Tiger/Leopard/heck, throw in even Snow Leopard...)

But shouldn't you be complaining to the author of your "very rare app" instead? It's that that's stopping you from upgrading your system and playing GFR.

But shouldn't you be complaining to the author of your "very rare app" instead? It's that that's stopping you from upgrading your system and playing GFR.

Forget my reasons, Mountain Lion is a modern and powerful OS and I still think it's crazy that Grim can likely run on 7+ years old hardware (judging how well it performs on my iMac which is 5yo) but not on a 2 years old OS...