• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
liquidsnakehpks

Minimum System Requirements are extremely high :(

yhea well, but windows 8 costs extra cash while mavericks, lion, yosemite are all for free!

You guys allways with your reasons staying at old OSses ...

Okay. To be honest i stay with Mavericks at the moment because Yosemite doesn't support Adobe Creative Suite 5. But i read you have just to fix that problem on java so you even can run the Creative Suite 5 on Yosemite.

I agree with Thunderpeel, when my white macbook from mid 2010 can run Mavericks, your 2011 PRO will run it easily. There you have a software conflict in hand, just like the people that - for what ever reason stick with Xp!

You know, it is a conflict, it is a problem, but really, the ones that shall find a way figure it out are maybe more - you yourself - and less double fine.

You can't stick with Lion forever.

And again, you have to pay for - every single - new windows release. I want to hear someone say again apple is greedy ^^ (okay they are, but yhea, microsoft is no less)

So there you have your reason why it is working on win 7!!! Because it would cost you 15$ + what is windows 8 right now? I would never think about it, but lets say 50$ ... so a update of your system for windows, so you could play grim, including buying grim would cost like 65$.

Plus of course win 7 seems to run open gl 3.3.

Again, it's not double fines fault, really. The team of double fine can't fix all the incompatibilty problems from all those other companies, really! They are busy enough.

Well, again, they could release the old game along for people who want to stick with old stuff.

But than again. SOMEWHEN will come that moment you have to update! So aw, you know, modern software simply likes to be updated and upgraded. Thats the way it is. If you don't like it, you have to find a way yourself.

I even thought sticking with itunes 10 (was it that with cover flow?) ... but a month later i realised the disadvantages are so much higher, staying with out to date software, that i mananged to be friends with itunes 11 ... and today i don't even miss anything. Itunes again is on a good way again. (the current itunes again looks and feels and works also much better than the first 11 release, so i am totally happy again with my itunes ^^)

Simply guys, you can't allways stick in the past with all your software!

There are ways getting old software work on new Os'es ! You really shall try it that way maybe! The opposite way seems to be easier. But that's just not the way it goes. It is so absolutley normal that new software just works with the latest OSes and that is very reasonable as there is everywhere software that only gonne work with latest OSes (don't know how to make a accurate plural, by the way ^^ whatever ;) sorry ^^)!

And to add that, you shall be posting in the forums of your software, that doesn't work on Mavericks and complain about that on their contact formular or in their forum! Really. Not here ...

Edit.: And if this rare App is so importand to you, you also could think about bootcamp!

Where is the problem? You could decide if you have a partition just for mountain lion + that rare app. Or you could think about stay with usually using mountain lion and double boot something so you can play grim on that.

If your storage isn't big enough, buy an external hard drive. They are good to have anyway.

Really, be a little creative here.

Again, it is not double fines fault at all. They are not here for solving problems, that ain't their fault, you know?

Are you kidding me, right?

I'm just one user case, there are hundreds of reasons why people would/must be stuck on 10.8 (ML), and it's absurd of Double Fine to exclude people who is running a 2 years old OS. Period.

I'm just one user case, there are hundreds of reasons why people would/must be stuck on 10.8 (ML), and it's absurd of Double Fine to exclude people who is running a 2 years old OS. Period.

I guess you could also argue that it's absurd that Apple didn't include OpenGL 3.3 support when that was over two years old when Mountain Lion came out, too. Plenty of other people did: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151376/os-x-doesnt-support-opengl-4

You're stuck in a particular situation, I'm afraid. According to Steam 97.6% of users have OpenGL 3.3+ (ie DirectX10).

Maybe for them even the Residual Part is the Problem? Cause you can't play the original without residual? But than again, it is open source. There shouldn't be exactly a problem there.

ResidualVM is not a problem for DF or Disney, it's just an open-source interpreter. Although I do remember the days where emulators were frowned upon by most companies, but it didn't affect their success. RVM has allowed the game to retain a user-base.

And again, you have to pay for - every single - new windows release. I want to hear someone say again apple is greedy ^^ (okay they are, but yhea, microsoft is no less)

Apple is WAY greedier than Microsoft, why do you think they created "apps" that have to be exclusively licensed by them for the iPhone? Or the in-app purchases that specifically target those vulnerable to addictive/gambling disorder (exactly the same way EGM's operate)? For proof read this article written by an ex-Microsoft employee in 2001 which specifically describes how operant conditioning can be used to shape a player's behaviour in order to get them to do what you want them to do (i.e. pay for in-app purchases). Or to quote directly: "There are numerous other things that influence players, but the basic patterns of consequences and rewards form the framework which enable all the rest. By understanding the fundamental patterns that underlie how players respond to what we ask of them, we can design games to bring out the kind of player we want."

Oh and Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for everyone except enterprise customers who has Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.

So there you have your reason why it is working on win 7!!! Because it would cost you 15$ + what is windows 8 right now? I would never think about it, but lets say 50$ ... so a update of your system for windows, so you could play grim, including buying grim would cost like 65$.

Windows XP is mothballed - support has ended. If you are unfortunate enough to be running Vista, than a later version will improve system performance significantly. There's no reason to design the game to run on OS's older than Windows 7. But with that said, I tend to agree with Open Gl 3.3 because even with Win 7/8/8.1 you still need a compatible graphics card, and if you happen to have a card that only supports 3.1 you can't run the game.

ResidualVM is not a problem for DF or Disney, it's just an open-source interpreter. Although I do remember the days where emulators were frowned upon by most companies, but it didn't affect their success. RVM has allowed the game to retain a user-base.

Actually ResidualVM will not be supporting Grim Fandango Remastered for those very reasons: It could easily become something that Disney doesn't like.

Actually ResidualVM will not be supporting Grim Fandango Remastered for those very reasons: It could easily become something that Disney doesn't like.

Yep, that would totally make sense... if anyone has an iOS device and followed the GBA4iOS querelle with Nintendo, they would know that sometimes big name companies DO care (sigh)

I guess you could also argue that it's absurd that Apple didn't include OpenGL 3.3 support when that was over two years old when Mountain Lion came out, too. Plenty of other people did: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151376/os-x-doesnt-support-opengl-4

You're stuck in a particular situation, I'm afraid. According to Steam 97.6% of users have OpenGL 3.3+ (ie DirectX10).

Yes, + one

And are there hundreds? I mean, apple could release as much Oses as they want, with every release there gonne be in the app store people saying they can't use that OS for their older software!

Yes, people even didn't upgrade to Mountain Lion for that reason. And we are now 2 Mac Os Versions further. (so win 7 and 8 are also 2, so you really could compare that way mountain lion like more with vista)

Yhea that happens all the time. I also didn't upgraded to yosemite, beside my laptop is old now, i would have to find solutions for my own software i need to use. But i needed like one minute in my search-machine to find out about that "you can configure java that way the older adobe software still gonne work". Well it is an apple problem.

And double fine simply used OpenGL 3.3 because the Playstation got it, right? Well it happend to be 3.3.

All i am saying is, there also could be a solution that you could find for yourself for your situation!

I doubt they could change something about that OpenGL thing, now that they got it. (i am also not quite convinced still they should)

And i am even kinda sorry now to tell you so (but also quite exited :D):

So i read about that 2009 imac thing and i thought, ahhh man, i am just gonne try it out!

So i bought it and i am playing it right now in full lighting :D It's so amazing *starsinmyeyes

Why didn't anybody told me earlier ;D

Awesome. So either way they have really done great work on the latest patch. OR indeed thanks to shared graphic memorie that vram thing didn't really mattered at all ^^ I mean yhea, my graphic card isn't also really in the run of "similar graphic cards" ... i thought ^^

Im quite happy right now ^^ played this evening through the end of the remastered version. Really, awesome work. Playing in remastered is definitly nicer than watching playthroughs on youtube while playing it with residual ^^ (even as i liked that a lot also for romantic reasons ^^)

:)

And the remastered version is really as nice as i felt it is while watching playthroughs! I love the art browser ^^ and i really enjoy the commentaries and gonne play through my favorite parts for those :D ah so nice :)

The complaint Nintendo had against GBA4iOS pertained only to linking to ROMs. Nintendo tried to shut down zsnes and snes9x don't forget. The idea to deliberately not support it is flawed, in my opinion. After all they support "Grim Fandango Deluxe", which is a mod which it can be argued contains the intellectual property of Lucasarts (now Disney), whereas ResidualVM does not contain their intellectual property.

I meant that "Maybe for them is Residual the problem" that way, that it is out of their control.

It is open source, but than again, double fine i guess would prefer bugfixing the remastered version.

So if Residual doesn't work as good as the customers want to, they have to explain that Residual is out of their

reach, kind of. And i guess that might be a problem for them. Because without Residual no modern system at all can

run the original game.

Well, but i agree that the people hitting into problems with the remastered requirements, really would benefit if

double fine and disney and sony would just release the old game along. So thats a big pro.

And it would be a nice appreciation for all the efford that was put into the point and click control, the deluxe patch and

Residual itself. (well, but of course the point and click control found it's way into grims remaster anyway, Residual is good for things

like Myst III still, and Monkey 4, and maybe some deluxe models will find their way into the remastered version ^^ who knows ;)

Count me in with the others requesting a revision of the game performance and requirements, or at least consider distributing the original game with it so that we can play on not so powerful computers.

I have 4 computers at home and I can just play it on the one I use for work. My Home Media Center with 2GB of RAM and OpenGL 3.0 is unable to play it and neither my laptop.

I see no reason to require 4GB of RAM and OpenGL 3.3. Even if the lighthing method would require it the classic mode doesn't have lighthing, so why not an option to start the game in classic-only mode?

This remaster isn't by any means the latest tech around, in fact, it's nothing we hadn't already seen 15 years ago when OpenGL was at version 1.x and computers had around 1GB of RAM. I can not believe I can't play it on the computer I've played games like Quake 3, 4 or Doom 3. These games were running great with those much lower specs more than 10 years ago, and they're a lot more demanding in graphics, sound and speed.

While the game has kept almost everything as it was because it's just a remaster, the requirements have gone way up like it was a remake at the highest ranks. This reason makes the original game still relevant for anyone wanting to play on some computers not supported by the remaster. That's something the original is still better at. Needing 10 times the hardware the original needed to do the same thing isn't an improvement.

Count me in with the others requesting a revision of the game performance and requirements, or at least consider distributing the original game with it so that we can play on not so powerful computers.

I have 4 computers at home and I can just play it on the one I use for work. My Home Media Center with 2GB of RAM and OpenGL 3.0 is unable to play it and neither my laptop.

I see no reason to require 4GB of RAM and OpenGL 3.3. Even if the lighthing method would require it the classic mode doesn't have lighthing, so why not an option to start the game in classic-only mode?

This remaster isn't by any means the latest tech around, in fact, it's nothing we hadn't already seen 15 years ago when OpenGL was at version 1.x and computers had around 1GB of RAM. I can not believe I can't play it on the computer I've played games like Quake 3, 4 or Doom 3. These games were running great with those much lower specs more than 10 years ago, and they're a lot more demanding in graphics, sound and speed.

While the game has kept almost everything as it was because it's just a remaster, the requirements have gone way up like it was a remake at the highest ranks. This reason makes the original game still relevant for anyone wanting to play on some computers not supported by the remaster. That's something the original is still better at. Needing 10 times the hardware the original needed to do the same thing isn't an improvement.

So you can't enhance that media computer with open gl 3.3?

Well the game looks the same, as the backgrounds couldn't have been changed. But the differences, if you skip between original mode and the new mode are huge. And even the original mode is, i feel like that by now, i guess mostly showing-off.

What is fine, cause i sometimes really use it to compare the old to the new.

The enhancement is huge and awesome. And maybe it worked best for them in 3.3. There is allready 4.5 out there.

I don't really understand why you want to play the game in orignal mode, when the remaster is so totally true to the original, when you allready got one of 4 computers running the game.

I play grim now on a mac from 2010, that allready is 5 years old now, that was never a beast and that was never ment for gaming. (also hardware wise)

So the last patch worked for lowering the requirements i guess, as they got down with the vram needs, as i remember correct what i read on their patch thread.

I mean i don't really understand why you guys don't just search for a way for having open gl 3.3 on your computer. If you like games, there gonne be a need for that in the very near future anyway for newer stuff!

And yes, IMO you see the demanding graphics, and as i play it on a 5 year old "has never been a gaming pc" machine it is not too hard. There are tons of games that doesn't run smooth on my system, that are like 2 years old, and don't have the super fanciest graphics either, that doesn't run on my machine but grim does.

What for should they use software that is totally out of date, when this remaster needs to look good in 10 years aswell?

Why shouldn't they had made the best of grim that was possible while staying true to the original?

It's not so much the question on what machines grim worked 10 years ago, but more on what machines will grim run - in 10 years!

And they couldn't have changed the backgrounds, as it is rendered and not painted, and they found no data for rendering no where, so there wasn't a point in making them new as they look awesome anyway.

And they simply added 2015 3d Rendering, textures and lighting to the figures, that again withhin their artstyle also was yet perfect with their low polygons.

But now the figures looks as if they are as good rendered as the background. That was impossible 10 years ago for usual systems.

So the optical progress is huge. I understand that plenty people don't see that.

And for me thats a sign of good taste of doublefine, cause it looks and feels like the original ... as it is a remaster.

And again. After the patch 2.2 they really lowered the requirements! As i can play it super smooth now.

I can't play, for example, massive challice in higher setting than 1280 × 720 and even than the frame rate is like toootally slow sometimes (in the importand moments i can play it well enough, but i have no high expectations at all in my graphic card anyway) and the graphic settings are really low.

You can't compare a 2015 release with what kind of games you could play 10 years ago on the same computer.

And as you got a computer you can play it on, i don't even see a problem. And if you got 4 computers, i also don't see a problem there, using one for open gl 3.3 ... or enhance one with 2 extra GB RAM, i bet on one of those 3 computers is a free slot for that still free. As for anything you do today on a computer 4 GB are quite handy. (beside you are not watching movies or stuff, but you allready said "media")

I always thought that if GPU supports some major version of OpenGL (for example 3) it should support all minor ones as well (as long as drivers are updated of course). Is it a problem with Intel not updating drivers for their older hardware? On Linux their OpenGL support is usually better.

Just got refunded from gog because of this too high specs, my laptop is less than two years old, and what DF Vic, his apology saying basically just deal with it and you'll be able to play it when you update doesn't fly with me.

Real shame.

Just got refunded from gog because of this too high specs, my laptop is less than two years old, and what DF Vic, his apology saying basically just deal with it and you'll be able to play it when you update doesn't fly with me.

Real shame.

What make and model is your laptop? OpenGL 3.3 is five years old. I'm wondering what machine that's less than two wouldn't even meet those requirements.

Also, sad to say, but according to Valve, 98% of Steam users have OpenGL3.3 or higher (ie DirectX 10+). You must have been very unlucky.

Real shame.

Yeah, what is your laptop GPU? Sandy Bridge should support OpenGL 3.3 on Linux.

It's an Intel HD laptop - 2.53ghz, 8gb RAM, 64 bit OS.

I've tried updating the graphics card but the Intel app says that it's all up to date.

Am I missing something?

I've tried updating the graphics card but the Intel app says that it's all up to date.

Am I missing something?

Is it a Duocore?

Am I missing something?

Is it a Duocore?

How do I find that out?

Am I missing something?

What kind if Intel HD? I mean the CPU/GPU model. What OS do you use?

If Linux it's cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep model

On Windows it's some Control Panel > System Information I think.

Am I missing something?

What kind if Intel HD? I mean the CPU/GPU model. What OS do you use?

Intel Core i3 CPU M380. Windows 7.

Have to say that this is the worst laptop that I have ever had. I am never buying a Toshiba / Intel computer, EVAH!

Recent Intel GPUs became much better, but they still way behind mobile Nvidia chips in regards to API support and performance. However they already overtook Nvidia in die size (14 nanometers).

these are the original specs

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/gfspu0szhelin.jpg

so why

Minimum:

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, AMD Athlon™ X2 2.8 GHz, or higher

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4650 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 / Intel HD 4000 Graphics, or equivalent

Hard Drive: 6000 MB available space

Sound Card: Windows Compatible Card

Additional Notes: GPU that supports OpenGL 3.3 or higher

Mr. Schafer? :question: the graphic is almost the same :exclaim:

these are the original specs

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/gfspu0szhelin.jpg

so why

Minimum:

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, AMD Athlon™ X2 2.8 GHz, or higher

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4650 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 / Intel HD 4000 Graphics, or equivalent

Hard Drive: 6000 MB available space

Sound Card: Windows Compatible Card

Additional Notes: GPU that supports OpenGL 3.3 or higher

Mr. Schafer? :question: the graphic is almost the same :exclaim:

It's not the same game as it was in 1998, so there's no sense in comparing the old system requirements. There's a lot of subtle differences in the new version that have modern features that require higher specifications than the original game, like shadows and lighting, and one scene in Olivia’s club now has the camera moving around it in real time. These new features require OpenGL 3.3, so it’s not possible to run Grim Fandango Remastered on systems that can’t run that.

Also note that the system requirements will be different because of the modern coding environment and other factors (such as additional overhead for new features and new loading routines for different file formats). You can run the original version on modern systems in ResidualVM, but even that will need a computer with higher specifications than the minimum listed for the original game because of that.

i still think a lot of people got left out due to the steep requirements , i hope this is not repeated in other remakes they plan to do , the first focus should always be making sure that most people who might have played the older version at least have a chance of running it , not put in walls such as open gl 3.3 and higher only .

i still think a lot of people got left out due to the steep requirements , i hope this is not repeated in other remakes they plan to do , the first focus should always be making sure that most people who might have played the older version at least have a chance of running it , not put in walls such as open gl 3.3 and higher only .
The other remakes will be 2D (as they'll be based on the SPUTM engine that runs the SCUMM scripting language, so it's unlikely that the requirements will be as high (unless they use some 3D features like the Monkey Island special edition did for effects, but it's unlikely even then it would require as high of a requirement, since it will probably be closer to the Monkey Island Special Editions since they're looking into using their new version of the engine as a base).