Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndywinXp

Differences between GOG screenshots and Remaster Trailer

Is there a reason why there are BIG quality differences between those two things, expecially texture-resolution-wise?

I mean... look at this!

ff28d7160bd2d20b2f484592a01fbc15e782cb76.jpg

And then look at the same scene in the trailer... the trailer looks 10 times better... why?

Hmmm, all I can see is my repressed frustration over having to wait 10 more days for this.

And the vague fear that my 2010 MacBook can't run it.

And my innocent childhood dreams.

Please, take a look at some other GOG, screenshots, you can clearly see the artifacts on Manny's tie, like when a texture is low res, while on the trailer there's nothing like that

In the scene I posted, the antialiasing on Meche's shirt is jaggier than the one on the trailer, and the textures appear to be at a lower res

Hmm, who knows what kind of version the screenshot was taken from, different gamma, gpu/gfx settings, video encoding, ...

They could get rid of the fringes of her shirt in the trailer though.

It will be interesting to see how different the facial expressions will be in the game. From the screenshots i've seen they were all slightly different due to the increase of resolution and not being 100% copies. Sometimes going high res also comes with a loss of a familiar degree of thickness.

Hey, I'm not complaining or anything, since I already preordered the game, I just wanted to know the reason behind those changes.

Honestly, if there is a difference, it's most probably because of how the screenshots were stored (e.g. artefacts from jpeg compression).

OP is right, the low-res textures was the first thing I noticed in the official GOG screenshots, as the aliasing is clearly visible in all of them. I'm hoping they were just accidentally taken with the original or work-in-progress textures though, and the final game will look like the trailer.

Grim_Fandango_Remastered_Teaser_mp4_snapshot_00.jpg

I still don't see this 'BIG' '10x' difference. I can barely even tell a difference between the two except the video has more compression artefacts which has blurred things slightly particuarly noticeable in the background.

A very minor difference visible perhaps in the rim of her jacked but jeez, I had to zoom right in to see it.

Could someone post an example of what's being discussed here? Preferably one without the new shadows over everything. A good place to upload images is imgur. Thanks!

I wonder how ThunderPeel feels about the fingers/bones in LucasArts' 1998 release Mysteries of the Sith.

If I cared about that game, I might care the fingers... but, unlike GF, the rest of the graphics look really crappy. I think there are other things that could be improved first, before good fingers would make a difference :)

I used to hate bad 3D, but I now have a definite soft spot for all the games made using the Quake 1/2/3 and Unreal engines. That 1998 game looks awesome to me. Reminds of Everquest.

I guess I might be a bit of a nostalgia fiend after all.

http://i.imgur.com/VYos3M5.png

That's OP's screenshot compared to the same scene in the linked youtube video. I really cant see the difference outside of the video clearly being darker and the lossy video codec blurring out some of the dithering in the pre-rendered background (especially noticeable on the carpet near the filing cabinet).

Hmmm, all I can see is my repressed frustration over having to wait 10 more days for this.

And the vague fear that my 2010 MacBook can't run it.

And my innocent childhood dreams.

It can't. To few VRAM. I am allready crying in my morning coffee ever since i found out.

(and starting to plot making myself a low/mid cost gaming pc with dual booted linux/Win ^^ finally - but okay, i wanted to play Tomb Raider 2014 since it came out and have a ton (okay, like around 8) of humbebundle games i can't even run proper on my macbook ... so there is that aswell ^^ but Grim really got me not questioning it anymore ... the funny part is, that even on a gaming pc i could easily install xp and run the original game i still got on CD-Rom ^^)

Edit: (because of the thread-topic) Okay, i see the problem/difference now too ^^

And Greg mentioned that they are working on lower requirements. So maybe there is still hope! But however. For a 3D game, a 2010 Macbook is slowly out of the gaming business like sadly now a days. ;(

So i am thinking about new options for keep on gaming anyway. So sad you can't change the graphic card.

On my desktop I can see the differences now. For some reason the GOG screenshots appear to be using the original textures. Hmm.

Sign in to follow this