• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
matthansen

Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition Wish List Features

I would love to hear from you guys on what features you would like to see in the Special Edition of Day of the Tentacle.

We are super early in development, so we have some flexibility on the feature set.

Obviously there are budget and schedule realities, but let's not think about that right now.

So, what do you care the most about?

First of all, a huge thankyou to you guys for doing this, DOTT's in my top favourites list of adventure games.

I think that in terms of a special edition, all it needs is to take advantage of some more modern presentation techniques, such as smoother backgrounds and higher quality music (an orchestrated score would be a dream come true). These are my main requests for the special edition:

Smooth out any artifacts in the backgrounds

Hi def sprites (don't redesign the characters though!)

Extra frames of animation to make them more smooth and cartoon-like in HD mode

Live instrumental music or at the very least proper digital music instead of MIDI

MI2:SE style interface to make full use of the game environment as a widescreen experience

DO NOT under any circumstances re-do the voice-over (fingers crossed those audio files come with the assets you get from Lucas)

Classic mode so that we still have the original on hand

(This one may be a big ask) Include a talkie version of Maniac Mansion as a bonus on Weird Ed's computer

Developer commentary

After discovering Ed's computer, a way to launch right into Maniac Mansion. It can be kept a secret until found, but put it directly in the main menu once it is.

I think mine are very similar to ozziemonkey's but I'll list them all the same.

Would Love updated:

-Higher res artwork and sprites, staying close to the feel of the original but without the pixelation (or blur from upscale filters). If Peter Chan could be involved in any way to keep the updates 'in keeping' with the originals it would be awesome, his style is a huge part of DOTT.

-Widescreen (16:9). Hopefully without messing with the inventory setup too much.

-Orchestral recording of the original score. At least I'm pretty sure I'd like that :P

-Commentary from anyone and everyone involved with the original or remake

-I'd LOVE it if a few new puzzles/areas could be added without removing any of the existing ones. Not sure if this is within the scope of a 'special edition' or not, but it would be awesome to be playing something I remember and love so strongly but have a few new surprises.

-Possibly some additional character reactions/conversation options. In the recent (partial) playthrough Tim did of DOTT, he commented how there should be a better response for trying to put the hamster in the microwave.

-Maniac mansion working in-game.

Would Rather not have:

-Please DONT over-simplify the interface, I MUCH prefer the verbs to a 'one click does everything' model.

IMO a mouse should be the primary input the game is designed for, hopefully no compromises on the PC interface to accommodate ports to touchscreen devices. Mouse-over is very much a part of this game and tablets just dont do this well (SCUMMVM on android used to be tap to click, now it defaults to a virtual mouse cursor. While it is less 'direct', it allows you to properly enjoy the game). For the love of god, above all else, please don't dumb down the game in the name of 'accessiblity'.

-Please dont replace the voice acting, or at least keep the original voices as an option. The voice acting was brilliant, hopefully you may be able to obtain higher quality versions than which shipped witih the game. Even the sound effects personally I'd prefer the same. There is a charm in their 'cheeziness' that I felt at the time and still appreciate.

I'm sure I will be happy with whatever you good folk at doublefine produce, and can really understand that for any view I have (loving the game back when it was released and having played it via SCUMMVM multiple times since) others may feel exactly the opposite.

Thanks for asking for opinions :)

My main wish is for as much behind-the-scenes stuff (for the original game, although stuff for the SE and even unused stuff from the unfinished Singapore SE would also be cool) as possible. There's relatively little info on the making of older games like this and, aside from the excellent mixnmojo feature, DOTT is no exception. Commentaries, interviews, old footage, concept art, design documents, everything!

As regarding the Special Edition itself (and at the risk of repeating myself), I just hope it avoids being a soulless HD paint-over. One way to go would be remaking it to the fidelity of a Chuck Jones cartoon, with hand-painted backgrounds and animations. But any interesting interpretation bursting with typical DF creativity and character would be great - we already have the original, no need to do a slight uprezzing and leave it there. That's assuming that the original version will be included - which I think it should (though I don't need it myself), in a way that causes no compromises for the new version.

EDIT: Thanks for being involved in the forums and asking our opinions and hopes, even if they are utterly impractical!

Thanks for this opportunity to feel heard, Matt! You rock! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I wonder: has anyone watched this 3D video yet? If so, what did you think of it? Personally I think it looks great (ignore the horrible shot of Bernard, he's not actually in the video).

ezU_W-Od8wo

It seems to me that it will be very easy to re-paint the backgrounds and do them justice (much like LA Singapore did for Monkey Island 2 -- not MI1). I'd be surprised if the assets you get from them don't look great -- some of the backgrounds from the MI2:SE looked astonishingly good -- Phatt Island, for example, which captured the magic of the original artwork.

Similarly the music would sound AMAZING if the Mebourne Symphony was involved again. That's probably my biggest wish, actually.

The real difficulty comes with the cutscenes and character animations. That's where I could see things getting tricky. Doing hi res justice to the implications of the low res pixel artwork will be very difficult. People will interpret those characters quite differently in their heads. And I've no idea what you can do about the cutscenes -- redoing them sounds expensive. But then again, if the backgrounds from Singapore are good, maybe that will free up the budget for stuff like this.

My main request for the characters would be to please NOT go the cheapy "3D models into 2D sprites" route (a la MI:SE's -- although 2 was better than 1, or the terrible look of the characters in the recent BROKEN SWORDs). That always looks so cheap and awful, and would especially look bad for characters designed to look so... organic/cartoony. (I suppose it COULD be done well, but I've only ever seen characters looking extremely stiff as a result.)

As for interface, if you're going full screen, simply mimic Curse of Monkey Island's interface -- but please don't lose any lines of dialogue (ie don't lose any verbs that give unique lines of dialogue).

Special Features: It would be amazing if the Maniac Mansion Easter Egg was kept in tact, and allowed the user to switch back and forth between the two. I would prefer the original EGA "real" version myself, not the ugly "Enhanced" version, without anything being done to the original game at all. (Just like was originally envisioned.)

Commentary from Tim and Dave is a must! (I hope the latter is involved on some level -- it feels like a collaboration between the two, and it would be sad if his voice isn't heard). Also Peter McConnell, Michael Land, Clint Bajakian, Peter Chan, Larry Ahern, and everyone else involved in the game :) Concept art, etc. Also, if you don't use the Singapore assets, it'd be great to at least see what they came up with!

Thanks again for asking!

If DoTT actually is what the "Special Edition" has always suggested with LucasArts, high res backgrounds and animation are of course a must, but I don't really expect that to happen. Of course, if you do have access to the files of the rumored 80% complete DoTT Special Edition, it would be a sin not to draw on that material. In any case, it would be nice to finally have a definite confirmation or refutation concerning the existence and actual state of that last LucasArts project. We're all running in circles hoping for something that may only ever have existed in the mind of some Kotaku journalist.

If it exists, at least let people have a few glimpses of the art, which necessarily may not be for everyone.

I'm with about everyone in expecting/hoping for a soundtrack that draws on real instruments exclusively. There is the grand orchestral feel for some of the more epic stuff, and Melbourne will certainly come into it, but I still think that a lot of the midi stuff only demands for a few solo instruments. And of course, we want to hear Tim on the drums of the Sushi Splatters. Just stay true to the source material here; I'd be glad to see the cues prolonged, but don't add vocals or anything equally awkward. And do your best to get that OST to bandcamp.

Touching up the controls is difficult. However, a quirky verb coin could do the trick, leaving you with backgrounds that already are, more or less, wide screen.

If DoTT actually is what the "Special Edition" has always suggested with LucasArts, high res backgrounds and animation are of course a must, but I don't really expect that to happen. Of course, if you do have access to the files of the rumored 80% complete DoTT Special Edition, it would be a sin not to draw on that material. In any case, it would be nice to finally have a definite confirmation or refutation concerning the existence and actual state of that last LucasArts project. We're all running in circles hoping for something that may only ever have existed in the mind of some Kotaku journalist.

If it exists, at least let people have a few glimpses of the art, which necessarily may not be for everyone.

I'm with about everyone in expecting/hoping for a soundtrack that draws on real instruments exclusively. There is the grand orchestral feel for some of the more epic stuff, and Melbourne will certainly come into it, but I still think that a lot of the midi stuff only demands for a few solo instruments. And of course, we want to hear Tim on the drums of the Sushi Splatters. Just stay true to the source material here; I'd be glad to see the cues prolonged, but don't add vocals or anything equally awkward. And do your best to get that OST to bandcamp.

Touching up the controls is difficult. However, a quirky verb coin could do the trick, leaving you with backgrounds that already are, more or less, wide screen.

Matt has already answered the stuff about the previous SE: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/16129/#372325

"I know about as much about those assets from Singapore as you guys do, so I am dying to see what we are getting."

(In short, he knows as much as we do... they're still waiting for the assets from LucasArts.)

Matt has already answered the stuff about the previous SE: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/16129/#372325 (In short, he knows as much as we do... they're still waiting for the assets from LucasArts.)

Well, if "a ton of assets" is expected, yes that DOES answer the question whether a Special Edition was already in the works when George Lucas sold all his Star Wars stuff. So, yes, Double Fine actually knew more than we did.

Kotaku is not exactly a reliable source. ;)

My wishlist:

- Seamless switching between the SE and the classic version

- 1080p widescreen art for the SE version

- try to not make it look like a flash game (which means: use textures! "Broken Age" looks like a painting, so I'm sure you can make DOTT look like a saturday morning cartoon)

- Different input options (point and click with the full verb list HAS to stay as an option) - also I've played MI2:SE on my PS3 and it was okayish to play with those direct controls and the verb coin.

- Newly recorded soundtrack (although using an orchestra for some of the tracks would be awesome, I was still very happy with the MI:SE soundtracks, which didn't have an orchestra but used many live instruments... in short: live instruments.)

- include as many of the original localizations as possible (and DON'T do new translations for the on-screen texts... the MI:SEs re-translated all the German texts, which sucked!)

- possibility to switch the game's language "on the fly", Blu-ray-style

- audio commentary (loved this in the MI2:SE and will probably love it in Grim)

- Concept art browser

- Making of (2PP is probably already on it)

Oh, I'd like to add something regarding the commentary:

I don't know how Grim handles the commentaries, but maybe you might want to consider recording video of the commentaries as well, adding an option to not only have it play as audio in the game, but with a little video-frame as well. It's always cool to actually associate some faces with those people working on the games.

There was a special "intensity" to the soundFX of both DOTT and S&M:Hit the road. Please don't lose this as it was part of the uniqeness for the game(s). This might have been due to puny squeaky midi synthesizing for the music though.

Orchestral musical scores would be awesome, but keep in mind not to ruin the soundFX.

Cleaning up the artwork, but not changing anything. (As you did for the textures of Calavera.)

Commentaries with, if applicable, optional video.

Personally, when it comes to gaming commentaries, I just wish I could play the audio in one go. It annoys me having to play through the game for the sole purpose of hearing the designers talk. I've never liked it. You have to play and stop, waiting for them to finish talking, and then play again. It's not like listening to a DVD commentary. It mixes passive and active behaviour in a way I don't enjoy.

Maybe there could be a way to jump straight to each commentary snippet?

Personally, when it comes to gaming commentaries, I just wish I could play the audio in one go. It annoys me having to play through the game for the sole purpose of hearing the designers talk. I've never liked it. You have to play and stop, waiting for them to finish talking, and then play again. It's not like listening to a DVD commentary. It mixes passive and active behaviour in a way I don't enjoy.

Maybe there could be a way to jump straight to each commentary snippet?

Oh, YES YES YES to this! I always hassle Dave Gilbert about this but I forgot to mention it here. With Valve games you can usually find a recording of all of them put together on YouTube, but with a lot of games you're not so lucky; it's something the developers should really provide.

Ironically Dave Gilbert's game commentaries are quite unique in that they're usually extremely specific to what's going on :) Either way, being able to jump to the scene with the commentary would be much better. And with Tim and company, we've already seen it's much more laid back, and just about random things that pop into their heads (all of which are interesting, of course).

Keep the characters looking like hand-drawn cartoons. I do not care for the tweened flash (or painterly?)look.

Have right-click be the "most logical" verb. Right click on a door, it opens. Right click on a grab-able object, you pick it up.

Left-click would be the currently selected verb. Hold it down to see all of the verbs. Ala Full Throttle.

Commentary and an art gallery are the two things I'd most like to see included.

Ironically Dave Gilbert's game commentaries are quite unique in that they're usually extremely specific to what's going on :) Either way, being able to jump to the scene with the commentary would be much better.

Yeah, totally. The issue I have with it is that I don't want the distraction/potential spoilers of commentary on my first playthrough, but once I've finished the game I don't want to play through again straight away for the commentary, but it's also unlikely I'll keep the game installed until I get to the point where I am prepared to do that. Iirc the Telltale BTTF games went with one valid solution, which was commentaries over a gameplay video as an mp4 extra.

My #1 request would be to have Maniac Mansion playable on the screen in-game. That's a must. Also be sure to include the microwaveable hamster in that version. ;)

I echo the desire for at least a lot of live instruments in the soundtrack and hopefully use of an orchestra or small ensemble for some of the music.

Backgrounds that are as faithful to the original but in higher res would be great, like MI2:SE, and what I'd like to see are characters very closely resembling what we see in the game, but perhaps with an extra shading layer with lighting as demonstrated in Broken Age, to make the characters sit in the scene more nicely - but making sure to preserve the 2D look. I think it would help ensure the uprezzed character art doesn't have that cheap look to it.

I'm ambivalent about extra frames of animation. I was watching video of the game before and I think a lot of the animation is already rather detailed. I would say some work on the walk cycles might be beneficial, though.

If there's anything that can be done to clean up the low-quality speech, fantastic.

Hmm, without knowing the budget/target audience/... but anyway some more conservative points:

working, like rock solid | reasonable sys reqs/price | DRM free for PC | don't dumb down/mess up the puzzles/interface (i & i are integral parts of these kind adventures, let them shine and not starve like in the DFA) | increase of sound quality, remake the music (electronic), sound effects (budget?), sometimes in DOTT there were sounds missing | not a great DOTT talkie fan (especially the german version) but i guess you can't remake this one | tank controls (ah, no) | dev commentary (turning on/off during the game as you please) | if you can afford it, enhance the gfx but remain the style (unless a new style is better, just increasing the res with thin lines seperating stuff isn't cool), where it makes sense add more (subtile) life to the scenes (and more content) | depending on the scenes, the outlines of some characters stood out too much to the bg-gfx | smoother animations/scrolling/... | test if more fresh and vibrant colours here and there work as well, some scenes have odd colours/textures (like the Hoogie's stones outside and parquet) | switching between modes as you play (gfx/sfx independently) | the help system in the MISEs was simple but effective (though there is the net) | be able to shortcut walking animations | add some concept art/making of stuff | provide the original files for ScummVM as well. (MM too but i don't need to play MM from within DOTT) | Chan's framing pipe in Ed's room is way too much "into your face". | the lightning in some scenes generally | and so on ... be focused, only make stuff you can make really right.

Things I'd like to see:

- Interface style similar to MI2: SE, the Click 'N Roll style just felt so quick and efficient without sacrificing the options

- Live Instruments

- Toggle between Classic Mode and Remastered

- Concept Art Viewer

- Original Voice Acting (but Higher Quality if LA kept the sources)

Might be off topic slightly, but I think it would be a cool nod to actually hide something Full Throttle related and Grim Fandango related in the backgrounds, just have it extremely subtle, maybe linking to a hidden achievement for examining both?

Hey guys! Thanks for all the hard work on everything you've done the past few years.

My number one request would be sweet sweet commentary and hi-res versions of the graphics in the game.

Otherwise that game is perfect! Still perfect as it is! :)

Live instruments and a soundtrack release are my top wishes.

Also: HD graphics (naturally) and commentary. And try to preserve the cartoon look of the original instead of going "too clean" (I'm looking at you, Monkey Island SE).

I think all these have been mentioned already, but this is what I'd love to see:

- HD graphics

- toggle new/old version

- if the original sound files still exist, remastered audio

- Concept art, if that exists

- live instrument soundrack

going "too clean" (I'm looking at you, Monkey Island SE).

Yeah, I know I've bleated on about this before, but even the MI2 SE to my eyes lost the detail and grime of the original (a good example of this is the hand-number-password-puzzle screen - all the muck and tangibility gone). Although DOTT generally goes for big clean shapes, there are still areas (like the roof or conference room in present day) that have lots of grimy detail I'd hate to see lost. I want an HD remake to have more to look at, not less!

I think the game was originally perfect and instead of what I want to see I'll provide you guys with an option for the remake. I think adding too much detail might take away from the original, but I think if the remake was 2d in a 3d world, where everything is made to look specifically 2d, like in paper Mario, (

)

It would be a cool effect and offer a way to make the game fit smoother for this generation of players.

Just an idea but wouldn't mind feedback

I think the game was originally perfect and instead of what I want to see I'll provide you guys with an option for the remake. I think adding too much detail might take away from the original, but I think if the remake was 2d in a 3d world, where everything is made to look specifically 2d, like in paper Mario, (
)

It would be a cool effect and offer a way to make the game fit smoother for this generation of players.

Just an idea but wouldn't mind feedback

I think that's much too big of a departure from the original and would make the characters look like literal paper cutouts rather than people. I do like that art style but it's not suited to DotT.