• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
matthansen

Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition Wish List Features

Ron, although you can play Grim on modern machines with Residual, it is buggy. There are still things in ResidualVM that are missing. Anyone arguing that it's better to hunt down a second hand version from eBay and play it over the Remastered version is just anti-DF. There are ZERO benefits.

You can play game on virtual machine,but most of them have game errors.

Ron, although you can play Grim on modern machines with Residual, it is buggy. There are still things in ResidualVM that are missing. Anyone arguing that it's better to hunt down a second hand version from eBay and play it over the Remastered version is just anti-DF. There are ZERO benefits.

Hi ThunderPeel! I didn't wanna sound anti-DF at all. I own a copy of almost every game they did so far so sign me up as a fan :-)

Just hope the DOTT remake will me a bit more obvious than it was with GF.

I played the Grim on Residual about 1,5 years ago (before the remastered version came out) and it worked quite well.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to the first screenshots of DOTT!

Also curious if they used some of the Singapur assets.

Sorry, Ron. I wasn't implying you were anti-DF, just the people on Steam suggesting that it was the same to buy a second-hand version and play through ResidualVM -- you would really miss out if you did that.

My main wish for this is that they don't have leftover pixels from the original backgrounds like MI:SE and MI2:SE had in a ton of spots.

My wishes for the DOTT SE:

A physical release of the game in a triangle shaped box (or tentacle shaped) similar to the original limited edition one

Remastered soundtrack with live musicians

^Nice ideas, j-man!

Even though I plan to buy the game on Steam anyway, I'd likely buy a special physical version too in a cool-looking box if that were to happen.

People do that, right? Purchase more than one version of the same game? Sometimes? Maybe?

I'm already looking forward to hearing the SE soundtrack, however they end up doing it. Live musicians would be a plus, although I'm not sure how feasible it is.

Thanks man!

Maybe the live orchestra thing could work out, if they're using the same orchestra for different projects, like they did with the Melbourne Symphony for Broken Age and Grim Fandango, where they recorded both soundtracks in the same session. Fingers crossed!

If they were to release a physical box edition of DOTT, one idea could also be to include a voucher for a digital version of the game in the box, like they do with movies. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to get both versions in one package.

My main wish for this is that they don't have leftover pixels from the original backgrounds like MI:SE and MI2:SE had in a ton of spots.

I don't believe MI2:SE had any...?

Hey all,

I haven't been on these forums for quite some time after real life required my attention for a bit (although I never posted much, so I doubt anyone remembers me), but I finally have some free time to spend on gaming again - which in my case means classic Lucas adventures. I'm doing a big Double Fine replay at the moment, and after finishing the Grim remake I started the Monkey Island special editions again. I'm one of these people that played the old versions so much that some of the changes in the special editions rub me the wrong way, especially in the first one, as I feel the new art often wasn't quite good enough and the voices (although well cast) didn't really fit the tone of the game. I'm playing the second one right now, and while I still prefer the original (the colours are a lot better, and I'm a grumpy old fart), the remake is still pretty good - better than I remember in fact. I won't go over all the things I didn't like in the remakes, but some things I did like and wouldn't mind seeing in Day of the Tentacle:

- Switching back and forth between old and new graphics, which Grim did as well. However, in Monkey 1 this meant that the character animations corresponded with the old animations, which, with the more detailed new character models, didn't look particularly well. I prefer the Monkey 2 method, where they made the modern animations a lot smoother and added some small things, like idle animations for Guybrush. I'd like to see that in DOTT - it just makes the characters feel more alive and having the classic version a button press away does away with the need to have every single animation correspond to the old animations. Comparing Monkey 1 and Monkey 2, I prefer taking a few small liberties with the remake, as trying to stay too truthful to the original hurt the first remake more than it benefited it, graphics-wise. Whatever you do, changing the graphics in any way changes how the game feels, so it's better to make sure that the new version feels as good as possible on it's own while staying true to the atmosphere of the original.

- Commentaries. Grim had them, and I'm fairly certain we can expect them again for DOTT, as Tim doesn't mind talking a lot. Get Dave in there as well. Bonus points if you can get Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick in there for a Maniac Mansion commentary, even if you don't update Maniac beyond adding a commentary.

- Added details in the background, as seen in Monkey 2. Like I said before, the classic version is my favorite version, but I do like how they added some animated details - like the water flowing, the added frogs, birds and fish in various scenes. All small things to make the world feel more alive. I wouldn't mind seeing the trees flowing in the breeze in the background in DOTT, or even some added wildlife in relevant scenes (such as a cockroach scurrying by in one of the filthier rooms of the Edison residence). Even some added animation for smaller npc's would be awesome, although the original already has quite a lot of that.

- The verb system being replaced by a Curse of Monkey/Full Throttle coin-like interface. I completely agree with the decision to make the playing screen of the Monkey remakes full screen, but Monkey 1 had this awkward system where you had to press a button to bring up a seperate verb menu. I vastly prefer the Monkey 2 method, where clicking with the right mouse button allowed you to scroll through all the relevant verbs (meaning: all the verbs that gave you a unique response, cutting out all of those that didn't give you anything special). A seemingly small change, but it made playing the game much more pleasant. As for the inventory: both the Monkey remakes had you pressing a button to bring up the inventory menu, which feels a bit awkward. I'd prefer it if you could just move your cursor to the bottom of the screen to have the inventory screen pop up. I believe that's how Broken Age does it, but I haven't played that since Act 1 hit (don't worry, I can't wait to play more, but I want to replay all the older Lucas/Double Fine games first).

Sorry for such a long post - too much time on my hands and I'm really into all this stuff again. Can't wait to see this, and I'm praying for more remakes (or, even better, sequels to classic Lucas games - I'd kill for a Double Fine Monkey Island game) with the rest of you.

I would like it if there were no speedrun trophy like in Broken age. Speedruns don't fit well with these kinds of game (my friends and I like these games because they're relaxing). Also, I'd like it if there weren't any missable trophies so that I could actually play the game without having to double check a guide every 2 minutes in case I miss something. At the very least, if this isn't possible, maybe have some kind of chapter select so that players could esily go back to obtain them?

I'll still be getting the game regardless but like I said, I'd rather concentrate fully on the game itself.

I'll still be getting the game regardless but like I said, I'd rather concentrate fully on the game itself.

You can still do that even if there are achievements! ;) Though, then again, I pretty much ignore all achievements since they don't do anything for me.

Smiles

I would like it if there were no speedrun trophy like in Broken age. Speedruns don't fit well with these kinds of game (my friends and I like these games because they're relaxing). Also, I'd like it if there weren't any missable trophies so that I could actually play the game without having to double check a guide every 2 minutes in case I miss something. At the very least, if this isn't possible, maybe have some kind of chapter select so that players could esily go back to obtain them?

What precisely is your problem with speed runners? They know the game more in depth than any of us. In order to approach their speed run they have to play the game much more slowly and methodically than you or I ever would, prodding at its edges and figuring out the paths of least resistance. They'll probably put more hours into it than you ever will, so I have no issue with rewarding that effort.

In fact my favourite achievements are the ones that encourage you to play the game in a way that isn't standard. Otherwise they're just patting you on the back for things that you were probably going to do anyway

Personally, especially for these types of games, I think it's way more fun to just not think about achievements/trophies the first time you're playing through it. Just play it the way you want to play it. Maybe at some points you'll stumble upon a hidden easter egg and a notification will pop up for an achievement (with an extra little joke in the name). At some other points you'll stumble upon hidden funny stuff that doesn't have an achievement attached. Playing with a guide just to get a lot of these hidden things spoiled for you ruins a lot of the fun. Trying to outsmart the game on your own and being surprised that the game has a unique/funny response to what you're doing is one of the best things in adventure games. Following a guide to find all that stuff just takes a lot of that magic away.

Personally, I just play through the game, and I try to find as many hidden jokes as I can, and only after I'm finished I take a look at the achievement list to see if there's anything I missed. Not the other way around. And for some of those achievements I might go back and try them if they're fun enough, and if they don't sound fun to me I won't bother (like the 'play the complete game with tank controls' achievement in the Grim Fandango Remaster. I played through the game that way back when the game originally came out - I don't want to give up what are, to me, superior controls just to get a little pop up at the end of it. The joke works just as well for me just knowing that they put that achievement in there - there's no real need for me to try and get it, as the game is more fun for me if I play it in my own way.

Like you said yourself - you'd rather focus completely on the game itself. And you're very right to. And hey, there's nothing stopping you from doing that. My advice would be just to play it for the sake of playing it and enjoying yourself - and if you really happen to fall in love with the game you could always do a second playthrough some weeks/months later focusing on the achievements. But in the end achievements don't really mean anything at all - and they're definitely not worth it if they get in the way of your enjoyment of the game.

Regarding the speedrun achievement, I'm not sure where I stand. There was one for MI2:SE, which I got, but not on my first play through. Even though I was already very familiar with the game itself. During my first play through, I spent as much time as possible just exploring everywhere to see all the newly drawn backgrounds, having all the conversations possible to listen to the voice overs, and getting all the other achievements in the game. After playing the game quite thoroughly, I replayed it for the speedrun achievement. That said, while I do find satisfaction in gaining all the achievements in a game, I didn't find the speedrun achievement itself very thrilling.

In MI2:SE the achievement was for completing the game in under three hours which, for a lot of people who know the game well, isn't a difficult task. I still watched the cutscenes and didn't panic when I suddenly realised I'd forgotten an item in a previous scene and had to waste time walking all the way back to get it. It's not like the existence of that particular achievement upset me or anything, I just didn't really get why it existed. I thought it would have been better to either make the amount of time tighter, or to not include a speedrun achievement in the first place.

I do like getting achievements in general though (like I said previously, they give me a sense of satisfaction) but I think in DOTT (and most adventure games), the best achievements would be the ones that reward you for doing something funny (a while back I asked for an achievement for squirting everyone with disappearing ink) and also maybe some achievements for progressing in the storyline. For example, Grim Fandango rewards you for completing each year of the story. Similarly in DOTT, you could have one achievement for fixing Hoagie's chron-o-john, another for fixing Laverne's, and one more for getting the diamond.

You can still do that even if there are achievements!

True but the thing is I have a massive backlog of games so with these games I come in hoping to get all trophies in one playthrough so that I can move on quicker (I'm not upset if that's not the case and I still have fun). I don't end up replaying these games until a decade or two later.

That's why I enjoy Telltale games a lot. Not only are the stories pretty cool but I don't even have to think about the trophies. Grim fandango had a great list but there were some missables. I think Grim could've used a chapter select where you could choose a year to play. People ended up having to keep save files at the beginning of each year just in case.

What precisely is your problem with speed runners?

In fact my favorite achievements are the ones that encourage you to play the game in a way that isn't standard.

I didn't mention speerunners. Speedrunners are awesome. I think speedrun trophies work well with some games but not these. As for what your favorite types of achievements are, that's cool but what you like is not what I like. This thread is a wish list and I personally wish there were no speedrun trophies.

And before someone else says "who cares about trophies". Me dude, I care. Gaming and trophy hunting are two separate hobbies that I go full out on. You can spend hours playing games just like you can spend hours talking with fellow hunters on how to best approach certain trophies, writing guides to help others and much more. I don't game without trophies in mind anymore and I like it that way.

And before someone else says "who cares about trophies". Me dude, I care.

I'm all for people playing the how they want to, trophy hunting or not -- that is the fun part about gaming -- playing however you want. It just seems strange, to me, to request the removal of a trophy (or ask against a future one) because it is a way you'd rather not play!

Smiles

And before someone else says "who cares about trophies". Me dude, I care.

I'm all for people playing the how they want to, trophy hunting or not -- that is the fun part about gaming -- playing however you want. It just seems strange, to me, to request the removal of a trophy (or ask against a future one) because it is a way you'd rather not play!

Smiles

That is a great point Smiles but the thing is, I believe from the forums I frequent, my friend's opinions and my own that the majority of people who play adventure games would prefer not to have them. Since the pool of people I know is small, I could be wrong but it does seem to be leaning that way at a glance. But like I said, I will buy this game regardless.

I would be interested in seeing a poll for that. I wonder what the results would be.

Many have already stated what they'd like to see and I agree:

-Include the original game in some form whether a hotswitch via MI:SE or just include the original game with DOSBox/ScummVM (preferably DOSBox, because I'd like to see the original DOS executables intact, the Gobliiins games on GOG don't include this and so some missing features like EGA modes are missing)

-The original voice acting. I don't care if it's low quality. Keep it.

-Original/Reorchestrated soundtrack. If you're going to include the original music via hotswitch or whatever, record the MT-32 soundtrack but PLEASE do it PROPERLY this time! MI2:SE screwed it up. Especially in Woodtick. They recorded MT-32 recordings of pieces of Woodtick themes but the instruments were all wrong. Horrific. As far as replicating iMuse use, there isn't anything as crazy as what MI2:SE had in any other iMuse games. The epic dynamic music transitions of Woodtick don't exist anywhere else in LucasArts' entire library. There are a few, but no where near to that level. The only other thing it does is fade in and out percussion sometimes when a character walks around vs standing still. When Bernard walks around in the hotel for instance a hi-hat starts to play and when he stops walking the hi-hat fades out and stops again.

-I don't think this game needs super smooth animation like the MI SE's had. At least not for talking. I could see smooth animation for everybody while they're talking animations retained the same amount of frames. But I don't care as much. I'm interested to see what you can come up with and what you think works best here.

All I can think of right now.

PLEASE! Keep the original SCUMM-Interface!

I can't see this happening. The MI2:SE did a decent job of removing the Verbs that wouldn't result in a unique response for each object -- nobody missed out on anything and it seemed to work well.

I do enjoy the list of verbs, mostly because I love the protagonists' responses to certain things you can try to tell them to do. e.g. pulling a hammer (with them responding somewhere along the lines of "you're meant to swing them"), trying to push items in your inventory ("wheee!") and so on. But I think a simpler verb system would be more appealing to the next generation. The original larger amount of verbs feels old fashioned when compared to newer point and click adventure games.

Besides, the old interface might remain intact when you switch to the original graphics? It's already been confirmed that the old graphics will be included in the SE as an option, so maybe they will be accompanied with the old verbs like (if I'm remembering this correctly) the Monkey Island games did with their special editions? New graphics, fewer verbs. Original graphics, original interface.

I think everyone would agree that they don't wish to lose any unique responses, and that's exactly what the MI2:SE did: When there was a unique response, the verb was available, when there wasn't, it was hidden.

I think everyone would agree that they don't wish to lose any unique responses, and that's exactly what the MI2:SE did: When there was a unique response, the verb was available, when there wasn't, it was hidden.

IMO that still costs you a sense of possibility space. I'll take verbs always available over contextual verbs for Day of the Tentacle any day myself. I want to find unique responses myself, not have their presence pointed out to me.

IMO that still costs you a sense of possibility space. I'll take verbs always available over contextual verbs for Day of the Tentacle any day myself. I want to find unique responses myself, not have their presence pointed out to me.

Yeah, things like using the "pick up" verb on Kate Kapsize in Monkey Island 2 to generate various pick-up lines is a really funny and smart easter egg which is kind of "spoiled" by the SE interface. It's an unfortunate side effect.

Yeah, things like using the "pick up" verb on Kate Kapsize in Monkey Island 2 to generate various pick-up lines is a really funny and smart easter egg which is kind of "spoiled" by the SE interface. It's an unfortunate side effect.

Right. The MI1 parrot and drowning gags are also dependent on the player knowing the verb list and expecting it to be static.

It's not a big deal when the game hasn't been designed to have an always-present verb palette, but when it has, it feels a shame to get rid of it.

I like little easter eggs as much as anyone, but I personally don't want a modern game to make me try PICK UP on everything, only to hear "I can't pick that up" 200+ times just for the one little moment where I get a unique response. Yes, that moment is nice when you find it, but even then most of the enjoyment comes from the line that's spoken itself. I really don't think an antiquated interface is worth it myself.

If you love the original, it'll still be there underneath.

My single wish, and one that's unlikely to happen, is that the game run on my Galaxy Tab S.

My single wish, and one that's unlikely to happen, is that the game run on my Galaxy Tab S.

With them getting Broken Age on tablets I don't see why this would be out of the question. I actually think it's quite possible.