Sign in to follow this  
matthansen

Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition Wish List Features

Hello all, it's my first post and my English is not really good but i'll try !

One thing i want to see in the Dott remastered is a lot of achievements.

- Like Grim Fandango, achievement when you finish all possible conversation with a character.

- Achievements for Maniac Mansion (a lot, not just 3-4 if it's not taking too much time for DF)

- Wallpapers Steam, badges, a free Oozo The Clown and a night with Laverne.

- The last achievement who says you get all the Dott's achievements. for put on steam profile (/!\ SPOIL/!\ But not with the tentacle flag, i don't want to spoil my friends. End of the spoil )

My friends never played Dott. And some years ago, i asked them to promise me one thing : "When i die, you have to finish Day of the Tentacle without solution, like me when i was 12. Only by yourself, no cheat allowed, i'll see you"

It was so fantastic, i want to share this with every one i love on this planet.

I hope my message was not too hard to understand.

Add me on Steam

One thing i want to see in the Dott remastered is a lot of achievements.

Welcome to the Double Fine community! :)

Double Fine usually puts lots of achievements in their games so I hope that we will see some good ones in DOTT too. I'm mostly hoping for achievements that reward you for doing "funny" things (use the disappearing ink on every character possible, read the physics book to every character possible, use the scalpel with the cigar salesman - some ideas we came up with a while back), but achievements for completing certain puzzles and having certain conversations are good too.

I'm not sure how (and if) the original Maniac Mansion is being implemented in the remaster. If it is going to be accessible, there might be a single achievement for finding it, but I doubt many of the achievements would focus on the first game.

We will be putting achievements into the game - if you guys have suggestions for silly things to do then let us know and maybe we'll add them!

That seems like it's worth making a whole new thread for :)

We will be putting achievements into the game - if you guys have suggestions for silly things to do then let us know and maybe we'll add them!

Actually, all of the achievements are all designed and written. The very funny and talented Dave Grossman spent some time revisiting the game and came up with a really awesome list of achievements that I think everyone will enjoy. :)

We've already done that in another thread. Weren't you paying attention? ;D Tsk tsk tsk.

Nah, seriously now, does someone remember where that was and can link to it or something? Or are we just gonna create a new thread?

Edit: Well, nevermind then. :U

Hmm, I'm sensing some internal developer conflict here.

Nope. Spaff just didn't know I had already taken care of the achievements.

Been adding achievements behind Spaff's back, eh? :)

Sounds cool though. I enjoyed the achievements in Grim Fandango (I currently have "Run you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!" on my Steam achievement showcase) and I'm sure Dave would've come up with some great ideas.

I've registered to the forum to say this:

There's one thing I'm expecting to get out of this special edition - an orchestral soundtrack.

Clearly, recreating artwork in the spirit of the original game (classic animation) is not feasible for this scale of a project. It'd be way to expensive to outsource a studio that could do that decently. That's totally understandable.

That being said, the music is a big part of why we love DOTT. Many of themes would clearly sound incredible if played by an orchestra. It's really a must.

I've registered to the forum to say this:

There's one thing I'm expecting to get out of this special edition - an orchestral soundtrack.

Clearly, recreating artwork in the spirit of the original game (classic animation) is not feasible for this scale of a project. It'd be way to expensive to outsource a studio that could do that decently. That's totally understandable.

That being said, the music is a big part of why we love DOTT. Many of themes would clearly sound incredible if played by an orchestra. It's really a must.

I think it's already been revealed that they're not doing a full orchestral track, I'm afraid. That doesn't mean that it's not going to sound wonderful, though. Time will tell.

Hmm, I'm sensing some internal developer conflict here.

Nope. Spaff just didn't know I had already taken care of the achievements.

Or did he?

giphy.gif

It's kind of silly, but I'd like to see an optional 'click counter' added to the game. All it would do is count the number of clicks it takes the player to finish the game, and it could be a nice little challenge to see who can beat the game in the least number of clicks. :) (Sort of like a challenge timer, point-n-click style!) ;)

It's kind of silly, but I'd like to see an optional 'click counter' added to the game. All it would do is count the number of clicks it takes the player to finish the game, and it could be a nice little challenge to see who can beat the game in the least number of clicks. :) (Sort of like a challenge timer, point-n-click style!) ;)

I'd put that at the bottom of my wish list for features. ;)

Smiles

That's a pretty fun idea, actually! Have any adventure games ever done that before? If this one doesn't, I'm sure it's only a matter of time. :)

I would love a soundtrack, both original and new...

DOTT brings me back to my childhood spending time with my father and I just love the music in this game.

I'd put that at the bottom of my wish list for features. ;)

Smiles

I'd turn your list upside down. ;)

So long as it's not connected to an [del]achievement[/del] trophy, I think it'd be nice.

Was that the new soundtrack? Such a disappointment. :(

I agree

My wish: please release it for Android. I'm getting it for PC for sure, but playing this on my 10 inch tablet would be awesome.

Actually, I'm amazed that there aren't lots of point and click games like DOTT, Broken Age, etc, on Android. For me, touch controls are the best for this kind of games.

My wish: please release it for Android. I'm getting it for PC for sure, but playing this on my 10 inch tablet would be awesome.

Actually, I'm amazed that there aren't lots of point and click games like DOTT, Broken Age, etc, on Android. For me, touch controls are the best for this kind of games.

Double Fine are working their way towards this, at least in the case of point-and-click. They're really doing well when it comes to giving consumers options. I am under complete belief that an Android release is expected, but anybody can correct me if they feel different.

As an example: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doublefine.grimfandangoremastered&hl=en

The Cave and Broken Age are also available for Android. Fran Bow has an alpha demo on Google Play, but I'm not sure when the full game will be available there. Right now they're working on a big update for the PC version (Windows/Linux/OS X). Dropsy will soon be available too. For something a little different, you have Machinarium and Botanicula, and chapter three of The Room was just released.

EDIT: There are a bunch more mentioned in this article, including Gemini Rue, Broken Sword 5, Yesterday, Simon the Sorceror and Fester Mudd.

Sorry, I didn't say I knew Broken Age, Grim Fandango (I have both for PC) and some other games like that were already available for Android. I meant I'd love having more like this new DOTT Remastered (which I expect to be released for Android like Grim Fandango was, although it was announced only for PC and PlayStation in the beginning), or PC's Deponia trilogy.

Fran Bow looks really interesting (I played the demo), and from that article (thanks, by the way) I liked Yesterday and Machinarium. I already played Machinarium on my old iMac, but I'd love playing it again; such a masterpiece!

I don't really like Telltale's games style, although I've heard they're great. And Fester Mudd or Simon the sorcerer... I mean, they're cool, but I'd rather have "modern" point and click games, in terms of graphics and interface. That's why I celebrate the comeback of DOTT and wish for an Android release. The plot was amazing, and this new interface looks really cool for tablets. I could play hundreds of games like DOTT Remastered, just with different stories. I'd also love a Sam & Max Hit the road Remaster. I've seen Full throttle is on the way for 2017, so I hope 2018 is Sam & Max's return year.

The "problem" is that, while I love DOTT, when I replay them I won't have that thrill of discovering the path to the end step by step. I already know what's gonna happen and how to progress on every puzzle. I'll replay it just for replaying it in HD, and to support future remasters. But what I'd really love is new games in that Lucas Arts style. Broken Age was really cool, although the second part plot was a little let down for me. DOTT's plot was just perfect.

I really hope that by supporting Grim Fandango and DOTT remasters, more games like those are released for Android.

It's like Lemmings. Is there a better platform for playing Lemmings than a 8-10 inch touch interface? What is Sony waiting for?

Sorry, I didn't say I knew Broken Age, Grim Fandango (I have both for PC) and some other games like that were already available for Android. I meant I'd love having more like this new DOTT Remastered (which I expect to be released for Android like Grim Fandango was, although it was announced only for PC and PlayStation in the beginning), or PC's Deponia trilogy.

Fran Bow looks really interesting (I played the demo), and from that article (thanks, by the way) I liked Yesterday and Machinarium. I already played Machinarium on my old iMac, but I'd love playing it again; such a masterpiece!

I don't really like Telltale's games style, although I've heard they're great. And Fester Mudd or Simon the sorcerer... I mean, they're cool, but I'd rather have "modern" point and click games, in terms of graphics and interface. That's why I celebrate the comeback of DOTT and wish for an Android release. The plot was amazing, and this new interface looks really cool for tablets. I could play hundreds of games like DOTT Remastered, just with different stories. I'd also love a Sam & Max Hit the road Remaster. I've seen Full throttle is on the way for 2017, so I hope 2018 is Sam & Max's return year.

The "problem" is that, while I love DOTT, when I replay them I won't have that thrill of discovering the path to the end step by step. I already know what's gonna happen and how to progress on every puzzle. I'll replay it just for replaying it in HD, and to support future remasters. But what I'd really love is new games in that Lucas Arts style. Broken Age was really cool, although the second part plot was a little let down for me. DOTT's plot was just perfect.

I really hope that by supporting Grim Fandango and DOTT remasters, more games like those are released for Android.

It's like Lemmings. Is there a better platform for playing Lemmings than a 8-10 inch touch interface? What is Sony waiting for?

Well they're definitely working on a tablet version with touch functionality, more specifically for iOS.

I am very much convinced there will be an Android version :)

Edit: the only game we can expect in the style of LucasArts point-and-click adventure games is Thimbleweed Park which has been designed and coded by none other than Ron Gilbert. He has created his own version of SCUMM for this game and I very much hope this will spawn more titles in the same way. The kickstarter for Thimbleweed Park generated double the expected finances for the title. I can only imagine this is indicative of a market which wants to exist but is struggling - as point and click adventure games simply don't exist as they used to.

With the comeback of many LucasArts titles and Thimbleweed Park (and also Maniac Mansion in the DOTT remaster), I am hopeful the style may come back. You may never know, there may be an official sequel to DOTT such as Night of the Meteor.

I'm not all that interested in Telltale Games new games either. If what you want is a new game in the style of the LucasArts classics, I think you will enjoy Dropsy. The visuals are "old-school", but the interface is modern. It was my favorite from last year, and it reminded me quite a bit of Sam & Max Hit the Road. It has an open world with a lot of optional puzzles and exploration. You also have playable side characters with different skills, and a day-night cycle which affects which characters are where doing what and how you can interact with them. And sometimes you solve puzzles with hugs.

Oh, I didn't know it was confirmed for iOS. Then an Android version is even more expectable :D

I didn't know neither about Thimbleweed nor Night of the meteor! Thimbleweed is nice, but... Well, graphics and interface evolved a lot since Maniac Mansion... Anyway, it's good to see Ron back on business ^_^ And Night of the meteor looks interesting, but I see it hasn't been updated since almost a year.

Thanks for the info! How lovely it would be if touch interfaces brought another golden age of point'n'click games :D

EDIT: didn't see Flesk's post. Dropsy looks awesome! Thank you :)