Sign in to follow this  
matthansen

Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition Wish List Features

We started filming stuff today. If we have enough cool stuff we will be putting out a documentary. Did you like the one for Grim? Any feedback that we could apply to DOTT:SE?

I liked the Grim one, especially the bits of "digital archaeology" (finding and recovering old assets) and the new work done on the music (Peter and MSO). Could have watched a whole episode of the orchestra playing!

I guess that is what I never understood. Why would someone want to hear the old music?

It's not like the music is totally different. The focus on remastering the music was to replace any cheesy synth tracks with real instruments. This was mostly the piano and guitar parts. Peter wanted to re-record those, and it had been bugging him for a while before this opportunity came up. Is the nostalgia in the how the cheesy synth instruments sounded? The tracks that we had done with the symphony are amazing. I guess I just don't see why those wouldn't be the preference. I am just trying to wrap my head around this.

We want to release a soundtrack at some point, but that was not part of the original deal. It is something we have been discussing for a very long time, so maybe some day.

Adding support for DLC into an engine from 1998 is a lot harder than you might think. It would have pushed out the release date, and I am not sure the value added would have been worth it.

Hi Matt.

You don't sound like an adventure gamer. I guess that's ok.

I was a beta tester on Loom as a child (after sending endless letters to Lucas Arts), I was the producer of Tales of Monkey Island and have worked on a bunch of other adventure games over the last 10 years. They are the reason I went to college for Game Design and worked at both Telltale and Double Fine.

I have always identified myself as an adventure gamer, but maybe I don't understand what that means.

Slow clap.

Have you kept your letters to Lucas Arts? Are they full of design ideas and analysis? That sounds awesome :)

Do you get the opportunity to help design the games you work on now? I don't know the full scope of responsibilities that goes along with being the producer, beyond the vague idea of managing time and keeping everyone on track. It sounds like you are in an interesting position to help work on design, particularly by suggesting design changes that can keep a game "in scope."

I wish I still had the letter they sent back. It might be somewhere back home. When I interviewed at Telltale, I told them that story. I don't remember if it was Dave Grossman or Mike Stemmle, but one of them remembered my letters.

Design at Double Fine doesn't really fall on any one person. I contribute to the design, but I am mostly focused on bringing the budget/schedule/resources element to those design discussions.

I know how you feel about still having those letters. I had a similar situation myself.

I lived on the other side of the country, so LucasArts would never be a possibility, but I did manage to get a job with Sierra as an off-site beta tester on The Realm (I just happened to be in the test market for Road Runner high speed internet when pretty much everyone else had dial up, so they hired me even though I was in New York (and was only 15 or 16 at the time) so they could get input for all types of connections). I remember my letter included how to replicate a major crashing bug in one of their shipped games (it was a King's Quest game, but I don't remember which one). That, plus my luck at having high speed internet access in the mid-1990's, is what got me my job.

I too would love to still have the letter of acceptance I got (although mine was at the time of the internet, so it was an e-mail, and is definitely long gone to the digital sands of time).

Also, the Grim deadline was really hard on the team. Lots of long nights and weekends to make that date. Some team members didn't spend time with their families during the winter holidays in order to hit that date. It is the part of game development that people might not think about. I really want to try and protect my team from that this time.

Yikes. That's horrible. Why was the deadline so tight? Didn't Disney give you the budget for more staff? Ugh. I bet those guys are fried right now. Very sad :( I'm very grateful for their sacrifices. I hope it's paid off well for them and DF.

Disney really didn't have much to do with it other than licensing. The deadline was so tight because I announced a date based on our gut-check estimates for bringing some of the features online. It is totally my fault. I felt pressure from the fans to announce a date, and I really should have just been honest with everyone that we still didn't know how long some things would take. I will be more careful this time.

And to be clear, it was crunchy towards the end, but everyone did it without one complaint. Everyone on the team was just so excited to work on the project.

I was a beta tester on Loom as a child (after sending endless letters to Lucas Arts), I was the producer of Tales of Monkey Island and have worked on a bunch of other adventure games over the last 10 years. They are the reason I went to college for Game Design and worked at both Telltale and Double Fine.

I have always identified myself as an adventure gamer, but maybe I don't understand what that means.

FWIW, I always felt that Grim was in good hands, and I'm sure that DoTT is too <3

Thanks Cheese :)

Brandon was the team member who was the most obsessed with Grim, but I am playing that roll on DOTT:SE. I have played through the game few dozen times, and I am so honored to be responsible for this version.

That is great to hear! I didn't know you were such a DOTT fan, this makes me more hopeful as you were happy with the assests you got from Singapore! Hopefully those are in good enough shape so you can use them as a foundation and free the budget to improve fix and polish it till it shines like it deserves!! (I understand you're working with limited budgets, that's why I'm so obsessed with the Singapore assets, as I hope they will allow DF to broaden the scope on this one compared to Grimm, which is great but could have been so much more, I mean, have you seen that video made In Unreal with a fully 3d made Department of Death?? And of course I also have morbid curiosity the canceled project, like with LucasArts Freelance Police ;) )

My point is, I'll hope they'll help DF make this a remake instead of a Remaster!

Even more off topic now, since you're friends and worked on both teams... When are you planning to get them all together so we can finally get the Double Fine / LucasArts / TellTale Games / Sony / Steve purcell's Freelance Police Special Unreleased Edition ??? :P

We wanted to make sure there was a clear distinction between what we did for Grim, and this project. We chose the wording "special edition" so people can expect an approach similar to MI2:SE. I did see that Unreal demo, and while impressive visually it really would have taken the focus away from the original artistic intent of Peter Chan and Pete Tsaykel. I also get heartburn just thinking of making a game other than a shooter in UE4.

I have seen plenty of stuff from both the canceled Sam and Max and Full Throttle projects. I really don't think anyone would have been happy in the end. What Telltale ended up doing with Sam and Max was the best possible outcome, and the idea of making a new Full Throttle without Tim seems insane.

A Double Fine / LucasArts / Telltale Games / Sony / Steve Purcell combo sound awesome. I REALLY don't think we will ever see another Lucas arts style adventure game out of Telltale. After Walking Dead, they shifted their focus to only work on big mass market IPs. It is hard to blame them after their recent success with that approach.

I guess that is what I never understood. Why would someone want to hear the old music?

It's not like the music is totally different. The focus on remastering the music was to replace any cheesy synth tracks with real instruments. This was mostly the piano and guitar parts. Peter wanted to re-record those, and it had been bugging him for a while before this opportunity came up. Is the nostalgia in the how the cheesy synth instruments sounded? The tracks that we had done with the symphony are amazing. I guess I just don't see why those wouldn't be the preference. I am just trying to wrap my head around this.

We want to release a soundtrack at some point, but that was not part of the original deal. It is something we have been discussing for a very long time, so maybe some day.

Adding support for DLC into an engine from 1998 is a lot harder than you might think. It would have pushed out the release date, and I am not sure the value added would have been worth it.

Hi Matt.

You don't sound like an adventure gamer. I guess that's ok.

Slow clap.

Have you kept your letters to Lucas Arts? Are they full of design ideas and analysis? That sounds awesome :)

Do you get the opportunity to help design the games you work on now? I don't know the full scope of responsibilities that goes along with being the producer, beyond the vague idea of managing time and keeping everyone on track. It sounds like you are in an interesting position to help work on design, particularly by suggesting design changes that can keep a game "in scope."

I wish I still had the letter they sent back. It might be somewhere back home. When I interviewed at Telltale, I told them that story. I don't remember if it was Dave Grossman or Mike Stemmle, but one of them remembered my letters.

Design at Double Fine doesn't really fall on any one person. I contribute to the design, but I am mostly focused on bringing the budget/schedule/resources element to those design discussions.

I know how you feel about still having those letters. I had a similar situation myself.

I lived on the other side of the country, so LucasArts would never be a possibility, but I did manage to get a job with Sierra as an off-site beta tester on The Realm (I just happened to be in the test market for Road Runner high speed internet when pretty much everyone else had dial up, so they hired me even though I was in New York (and was only 15 or 16 at the time) so they could get input for all types of connections). I remember my letter included how to replicate a major crashing bug in one of their shipped games (it was a King's Quest game, but I don't remember which one). That, plus my luck at having high speed internet access in the mid-1990's, is what got me my job.

I too would love to still have the letter of acceptance I got (although mine was at the time of the internet, so it was an e-mail, and is definitely long gone to the digital sands of time).

That is such an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Matt I just want to say that you have been a font of information about this project and yourself. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us like this.

Matt I just want to say that you have been a font of information about this project and yourself. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us like this.

I am trying to tell you guys just enough info so I don't get in trouble. :)

There are things I have already said that might, but I think it is worth it.

Disney really didn't have much to do with it other than licensing. The deadline was so tight because I announced a date based on our gut-check estimates for bringing some of the features online. It is totally my fault. I felt pressure from the fans to announce a date, and I really should have just been honest with everyone that we still didn't know how long some things would take. I will be more careful this time.

And to be clear, it was crunchy towards the end, but everyone did it without one complaint. Everyone on the team was just so excited to work on the project.

Phew. That's good to know :) Has production stopped? Do you think you'll get to the bottom of the current bugs before you end?

I personally would like to see more in-depth stuff in the documentaries. For instance, I'd love to see MORE of that "searching into the old archives and assets", and more videos of the recording sessions for the music! Grim already had that, but I personally would have loved to see more from the old archives.

Phew. That's good to know :) Has production stopped? Do you think you'll get to the bottom of the current bugs before you end?

We released a big PC patch on Friday, and we are creating a new PS4/Vita patch this week. We will also be doing another patch next week.

At some point we need to start on DOTT:SE, but we want to fix a bunch of stuff on Grim first.

We released a big PC patch on Friday, and we are creating a new PS4/Vita patch this week. We will also be doing another patch next week.

At some point we need to start on DOTT:SE, but we want to fix a bunch of stuff on Grim first.

Yes, I saw the patch on Friday -- found lots of bugs since then :) I even created a new texture to replace the "GOLO FLAKES" texture and posted it in the forums.

Yes, I saw the patch on Friday -- found lots of bugs since then :) I even created a new texture to replace the "GOLO FLAKES" texture and posted it in the forums.

Thanks ThunderPeel.

Hopefully those bugs are addressed in the next patch.

We started filming stuff today. If we have enough cool stuff we will be putting out a documentary. Did you like the one for Grim? Any feedback that we could apply to DOTT:SE?

I enjoyed the Grim documentaries. It feels like they are on the right track. Personally, I'd love to see a bit more of an in-depth look at the challenges and hurdles involved. In particular for remastering/special editions, the question of what it means to trawl through past work (both on the original game and the canned LucasArts special edition), and how you go about assessing its suitability feel like areas that would expose some worthwhile angles on both the remastering process and the original game.

Some more reflective thoughts on technical challenges which were overcome would be neat too - on my first pass over the Grim documentary, it didn't feel like there was much of that, and it could help clarify what it is that people are seeing (eg: I've seen people assume that when Oliver was showing a 3D representation of a scene for lighting/shadow stuff, he was working with the original asssets that the background renders were created from).

Lots of long nights and weekends to make that date. Some team members didn't spend time with their families during the winter holidays in order to hit that date. It is the part of game development that people might not think about. I really want to try and protect my team from that this time.

It's awesome that there's that kind of passion, but it's definitely not sustainable. It's great to hear that you want to ensure a healthier work environment for everybody, and I think the project will be better for it :)

I am also the VP of Development for DF, so I am working on all the projects at the studio, so finding time to post can be very difficult at times.

It could be neat to do a fortnight/monthly "10 questions for the team" type thing where appropriate questions can be answered in a shorter, more focused manner than a dev diary type post - I'm sure we'd be able to get the community moderation team to help with shortlisting stuff to cut down the amount of time needed to sift through whatever comes up. I suspect that the Disney approval hurdle might make still make that sort of thing awkward though.

Having you engaging here in this thread is super appreciated. Like CorruptBaggins, I'd like to thank you for finding the time to do it :)

I enjoyed the Grim documentaries. It feels like they are on the right track. Personally, I'd love to see a bit more of an in-depth look at the challenges and hurdles involved. In particular for remastering/special editions, the question of what it means to trawl through past work (both on the original game and the canned LucasArts special edition), and how you go about assessing its suitability feel like areas that would expose some worthwhile angles on both the remastering process and the original game.

Some more reflective thoughts on technical challenges which were overcome would be neat too - on my first pass over the Grim documentary, it didn't feel like there was much of that, and it could help clarify what it is that people are seeing (eg: I've seen people assume that when Oliver was showing a 3D representation of a scene for lighting/shadow stuff, he was working with the original asssets that the background renders were created from).

Lots of long nights and weekends to make that date. Some team members didn't spend time with their families during the winter holidays in order to hit that date. It is the part of game development that people might not think about. I really want to try and protect my team from that this time.

It's awesome that there's that kind of passion, but it's definitely not sustainable. It's great to hear that you want to ensure a healthier work environment for everybody, and I think the project will be better for it :)

I am also the VP of Development for DF, so I am working on all the projects at the studio, so finding time to post can be very difficult at times.

It could be neat to do a fortnight/monthly "10 questions for the team" type thing where appropriate questions can be answered in a shorter, more focused manner than a dev diary type post - I'm sure we'd be able to get the community moderation team to help with shortlisting stuff to cut down the amount of time needed to sift through whatever comes up. I suspect that the Disney approval hurdle might make still make that sort of thing awkward though.

Having you engaging here in this thread is super appreciated. Like CorruptBaggins, I'd like to thank you for finding the time to do it :)

You and I are totally on the same page. I love the "10 questions for the team idea" anything you or the rest of the moderation team can do to facilitate that would be amazing. The team will answer all of the questions we can unless we aren't allowed for various reasons.

I totally hear you on getting a more in-depth view into our development process. Some of the most interesting discussions have been happening during pre-production, so I am trying to make sure we film those meetings. I guess my only fear is that we have gotten a little beat-up sometimes when we are really transparent. Everyone on these forums are so passionate about these games (we are too!), so sometimes people say some pretty mean things about the team's decisions without really knowing the whole picture. I guess we are starting to get used to this as the norm, but it can be a little depressing at times. Every decision we make, I promise you, we are thinking about you guys. We want to make everyone happy, even when we know that isn't possible. With that said, I am willing to give a better peek under the kimono, but please try and understand that there are a lot of factors at play when making these games.

You and I are totally on the same page. I love the "10 questions for the team idea" anything you or the rest of the moderation team can do to facilitate that would be amazing. The team will answer all of the questions we can unless we aren't allowed for various reasons.

Alrighty, I'll chat with Greg about it (we'd discussed something like that previously) and see which of the other community moderators would be up for helping out with something like this!

I guess my only fear is that we have gotten a little beat-up sometimes when we are really transparent. Everyone on these forums are so passionate about these games (we are too!), so sometimes people say some pretty mean things about the team's decisions without really knowing the whole picture. I guess we are starting to get used to this as the norm, but it can be a little depressing at times. Every decision we make, I promise you, we are thinking about you guys. We want to make everyone happy, even when we know that isn't possible. With that said, I am willing to give a better peek under the kimono, but please try and understand that there are a lot of factors at play when making these games.

I guess there are a couple of factors at work here. Transparent development isn't very common - I feel that culturally, it's not something that consumers and creators are used to yet, and when it exposes something that is common, but not very well known (say, for example, negotiating for a larger budget, or revising scope), it's easy for people on the outside to misinterpret and hard for people on the inside to know what kind of expectation management will help avoid incorrect assumptions. This seems like it's normal teething type stuff that's worth working through.

There's also the aspect of people who're grumpy about unrelated things and latch onto opportunities to be denegrating, and looking at the current climate for that sort of stuff right now, I think that's going to happen regardless :(

Alrighty, I'll chat with Greg about it (we'd discussed something like that previously) and see which of the other community moderators would be up for helping out with something like this!

I guess my only fear is that we have gotten a little beat-up sometimes when we are really transparent. Everyone on these forums are so passionate about these games (we are too!), so sometimes people say some pretty mean things about the team's decisions without really knowing the whole picture. I guess we are starting to get used to this as the norm, but it can be a little depressing at times. Every decision we make, I promise you, we are thinking about you guys. We want to make everyone happy, even when we know that isn't possible. With that said, I am willing to give a better peek under the kimono, but please try and understand that there are a lot of factors at play when making these games.

I guess there are a couple of factors at work here. Transparent development isn't very common - I feel that culturally, it's not something that consumers and creators are used to yet, and when it exposes something that is common, but not very well known (say, for example, negotiating for a larger budget, or revising scope), it's easy for people on the outside to misinterpret and hard for people on the inside to know what kind of expectation management will help avoid incorrect assumptions. This seems like it's normal teething type stuff that's worth working through.

There's also the aspect of people who're grumpy about unrelated things and latch onto opportunities to be denegrating, and looking at the current climate for that sort of stuff right now, I think that's going to happen regardless :(

I think you are totally right. But everyone on this thread has been awesome, so thanks for all the positive vibes and amazing suggestions. This project is getting more and more exciting each day as we dig deeper into it. It is gonna be an exciting ride, and I am glad you guys can be there along with us.

The old Id software 'When it's done' is a fine release date for me.

Obvisouly a lot of people want a date, but given a limited budget if just having more time helps you to achieve your goals with the project then I think any fan of DOTT would prefer to wait.

As a community we love these games and can be impatient at times due to our excitement, but I dont think anyone wants you folks runing yourselves ragged to meet a date.

As for the doco, I very much enjoyed Grim's so if it's along that line it will be great. The more technical details, issues, acheivements etc it can include the better IMO. As other's have said if Dave Grossman could be involved I'd love to watch him and Tim bouncing memories/ideas off each other.

I didnt know you worked at telltale, that explains your avatar. It reminds me very much of puzzle agent (great games). :)

I'm glad telltale are doing well with their more recent stuff, but I cant say I've personally enojyed any of them as much as their sam and max seasons. The focus seems to have moved from puzzles to all dialogue trees and QTEs, each to their own I guess.

I hope the negativity from some people on the forums doenst get you guys down, you do brilliant work and online any negative opinion is normally voiced 10x more loudly and 10x more often than a positive one.

Grim is an awesome game, I bought it a 2nd time on steam just to get the updates a little quicker than GOG release them. Worth every cent. :)

a limited budget [...] more time

Generally those two things are mutually exclusive ;)

I mostly agree and considered that myself when writing but they may not always be totally mutually exclusive, especially for a company like doublefine working on multiple projects at the same time. The more people you have working on a project the more likely some are waiting on others and all that.

Also if otherwise post-release fixes can be included with the launch version then that surely is a win for everyone. There is so much love for DOTT that I'm sure by far the main limitation on beta testers would be possible leaks. Even 'free' testing takes time to perform and address issues found.

I really just meant that if a bit more time is going to equal a better product on release I'm all for it, and I think at the end of the day most gamers are too. Even if they complain about both not knowing release dates and delays.

That sounds like a great idea and I'd be up for helping out with that.

I enjoyed the Grim Fandango documentary a lot but I wouldn't mind something that was a bit more technical, both on art, music and programming. It would also be great to get small teasers whenever you feel you have something that looks great enough to share, given that you'd be allowed to do that. Something like that would be neat to share with others, less invested in the game to begin with to get them interested in the special edition.

I love the idea of the 10 questions too, and would also definitely be up to helping out with that if needed. :)

I love the transparency you guys have. It's one of my favorite things about Double Fine. I'm glad you're not too disheartened by the harsh comments from people. As cheeseness said, people who have never worked in the industry (or who haven't read about issues that people in the industry have had) aren't familiar with the hurdles over budget and development time that are just regular occurrences in video game development. The good news is that the transparency helps, since being open to explaining the problems helps people feel like they're in on the process (which is a good feeling overall). Being open like that helps make the bumps in the road shorter. There will always be people who continue to latch onto complaining about anything they can because they're frustrated over an unrelated issue. But, the good news is that even though they're the most vocal, they're not the majority.

That is such an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
And thanks for sharing yours. I love hearing people's different stories about how they first got involved in doing something they love. :)

I found this and thought you guys might think it is interesting. It is me (in red) and my brother, Drew, playing Maniac Mansion (you can see the box and manual behind my left arm). We played all of the Lucas and Sierra games together. He was my best friend and we were a good team for figuring out puzzles.

Sadly, Drew died in a car accident while he was taking me to my first day of college. The crazy thing is what he said a week before he died "I think you should find a way to do what you really love and make adventure games. You need to find a way to get out to California and work with your hero, Tim Schafer". So, that is why I transferred to art school and was so determined to make that happen. I still don't know how it all worked out, but I have a feeling Drew had something to do with it.

IMG_1693.jpg

Sorry to get so deep on you guys. I just was kinda bugged by what SuJack said about me not being a true "Adventure Game Player"

I found this and thought you guys might think it is interesting. It is me (in red) and my brother, Drew, playing Maniac Mansion (you can see the box and manual behind my left arm). We played all of the Lucas and Sierra games together. He was my best friend and we were a good team for figuring out puzzles.

Sadly, Drew died in a car accident while he was taking me to my first day of college. The crazy thing is what he said a week before he died "I think you should find a way to do what you really love and make adventure games. You need to find a way to get out to California and work with your hero, Tim Schafer". So, that is why I transferred to art school and was so determined to make that happen. I still don't know how it all worked out, but I have a feeling Drew had something to do with it.

IMG_1693.jpg

Sorry to get so deep on you guys. I just was kinda bugged by what SuJack said about me not being a true "Adventure Game Player"

At first you made me cry sad tears... but then they changed to happy tears. It's weird how sometimes the worst moments in life are the catalyst for the best moments. So glad you're getting to live your dream, you'd have made your brother very happy!

Very sad to hear about your brother, Matt. I lost my younger brother in an accident when he was 19, so I know how hard it is. I'm glad to hear that he inspired you to pursue your dream of making games though, and in a sense he lives on through the work that you do. There's a lot of people who really appreciate what you do and how open and inclusive Double Fine are, so I hope you don't let unfair comments like that get to you too much.

Very sad to hear about your brother, Matt. I lost my younger brother in an accident when he was 19, so I know how hard it is. I'm glad to hear that he inspired you to pursue your dream of making games though, and in a sense he lives on through the work that you do. There's a lot of people who really appreciate what you do and how open and inclusive Double Fine are, so I hope you don't let unfair comments like that get to you too much.

The human side of Double Fine is one of the reasons I keep coming back. I look forward to playing DOTT and Grim.

Smiles

BTW Matt, I sort of have you to thank for getting me back into these games. I just realized you were producer on the first adventure game I've played since I was 5 or so. I knew I recognized your avatar from somewhere, when I realized it was Nelson Tethers I decided to peak into the Puzzle Agent credits and there you were!

BTW Matt, I sort of have you to thank for getting me back into these games. I just realized you were producer on the first adventure game I've played since I was 5 or so. I knew I recognized your avatar from somewhere, when I realized it was Nelson Tethers I decided to peak into the Puzzle Agent credits and there you were!

That's awesome. Thanks!

Puzzle Agent was a super fun game to work on. It was a super small team, so we all wore a lot of hats. I was the producer, technical artist and did some design work. We really had fun making that game. Graham Annabel, the Creative Director on Puzzle Agent, is a good friend. His wife, Malena, is a producer at Double Fine and one of the best people on the planet. He is up for an Oscar for his work directing Box Trolls, so everyone send him good vibes so he wins it. :)

Ah man, you made my day.

I am sorry for your loss. I hope he has been a guardian angel in your life too.

IMG_1693.jpg

At first you made me cry sad tears... but then they changed to happy tears. It's weird how sometimes the worst moments in life are the catalyst for the best moments. So glad you're getting to live your dream, you'd have made your brother very happy!

Thanks! I do hear him in my head every once in a while "Ok, this is what we were talking about. Don't screw this up!"