Sign in to follow this  
matthansen

Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition Wish List Features

One feature request I do have is the ability to share gamesaves from PC <--> PlayStation. Like for Grim Fandango, I got the PS version so I could play it on the go (and because I had gift cards), and would love to get the PC version to dig around and explore the game files, but the only thing keeping me is the dis-ability of sharing game progress. I had this idea for Grim last night and posted it on those forums, but understandably got the response from Oliver that there are 'no plans' for it. Figured that if I mentioned it early enough it could be possible for DOTT (and maybe if the launcher is similar, ported to Grim).

Hey Matt,

You've been really great and sincere on this thread, and I really appreciate that.

Re: release dates, I'm no project management guy but I feel like an estimate of a quarter would be enough for most people. If you say, like, Q1 2014 then that gives people some sort of a clue about when to expect it, and then if it does slip to Q2 for whatever reason, it doesn't seem too bad. It's only an extra Q, after all. If on the other hand a concrete date is announced too early, it's much harder to let that slip.

People like to know whenabouts to expect it, so they know where to set their excitement for, but I hopefully this time you won't end up dating yourself into a tricky situation. Take care!

Hey Matt,

You've been really great and sincere on this thread, and I really appreciate that.

Re: release dates, I'm no project management guy but I feel like an estimate of a quarter would be enough for most people. If you say, like, Q1 2014 then that gives people some sort of a clue about when to expect it, and then if it does slip to Q2 for whatever reason, it doesn't seem too bad. It's only an extra Q, after all. If on the other hand a concrete date is announced too early, it's much harder to let that slip.

People like to know whenabouts to expect it, so they know where to set their excitement for, but I hopefully this time you won't end up dating yourself into a tricky situation. Take care!

I am starting to put together the high level schedule right now, so I should have a ballpark estimate shortly. I have to go through a bunch of approvals before I can mention any dates, but as soon as that is possible I will try and give you guys a rough estimate. With that said, even the idea of publicly talking about an end date gives me heartburn.

Hey Matt,

I am starting to put together the high level schedule right now, so I should have a ballpark estimate shortly. I have to go through a bunch of approvals before I can mention any dates, but as soon as that is possible I will try and give you guys a rough estimate. With that said, even the idea of publicly talking about an end date gives me heartburn.

To further qualify, I don't even expect rough estimates right now, and I think it'd be a bit much to ask as a fan! You're just getting started, things can happen along the way of course so I wouldn't really expect to hear anything until you've settled into a pretty nice groove, production-wise and can feel quite confident about your schedule. We know it's coming; it'll get here :)

Less chit chat and more wishing! LOL.

I'm trying to remember what bugged me in the original game, but I don't want to play it again until the SE is released.

Here's just a little thing from my own playthroughs. My brain always gave Bernard eyes in his profile view. If Bernard is "up-rezzed" that will be lost to me, since his design has no eyes. Not much I can do about that.

Also.

The washing the wagon puzzle is going to confuse a whole new generation of players.

Hey Matt, sorry to ask about GFR again, but I was just wondering: There are definitely plans to put the missing audio cues back into the game, right? Many of the new recordings made by McConnell are not being played in the game. I'm guessing that you guys have every intention of fixing that, right?

List of missing audio: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/16275/

I really hope so.

Thanks.

Hey Matt, sorry to ask about GFR again, but I was just wondering: There are definitely plans to put the missing audio cues back into the game, right? Many of the new recordings made by McConnell are not being played in the game. I'm guessing that you guys have every intention of fixing that, right?

I really hope so.

Thanks.

We know you love the game! But you already have some topics about this in the Grim forum, don't you? I hope they get fixed too, though. ;)

Smiles

I really hope so.

Thanks.

We know what the problem is and it's getting fixed right now. It will be fixed in the next patch.

The underwater reverb is the only thing we can't fix. We were not provided the code for the runtime DSP library.

We know what the problem is and it's getting fixed right now. It will be fixed in the next patch.

The underwater reverb is the only thing we can't fix. We were not provided the code for the runtime DSP library.

Fantastic news! Thanks!

I expect of the project to entirely keep the existing usage of iMuse, including fading in/out of different instruments of the themes (most notable in the cellar of Red Edison, where the character of the music changes once you start talking to him).

I don't understand, couldn't you swap that code with an alternative sound processing? I'm not a programmer, so I'm probably saying a stupid thing right now. :-P

BTW, weren't you in the Tales of Monkey Island team? Best Monkey Island sequel after Monkey Island 2, if you ask me. ;-)

I would love to hear from you guys on what features you would like to see in the Special Edition of Day of the Tentacle.

I like the comments and concept art in Grim Fandango Remastered, so it would be nice to see that here as well. Even if it is the kind of thing I'm likely to listen to just once.

One thing I liked about the look and feel of the original was the cartoon-style graphics. I don't know if the plan is to redraw the graphics or not, but I do hope that style can be preserved. What worries me a bit is that if the resolution is increased, you will probably need to add more frames to make it look as good in motion as it used to, and I imagine that could be quite a bit of work. (Of course, in a perfect universe this is the point where someone at Disney would have said, "No problem, how many animators do you need?".)

Optimal solution is to hire a professional inbetweener or two to draw all the inbetweens to make the animation smoother. Not relying on computers to do the inbetweening.

I don't understand, couldn't you swap that code with an alternative sound processing? I'm not a programmer, so I'm probably saying a stupid thing right now. :-P

BTW, weren't you in the Tales of Monkey Island team? Best Monkey Island sequel after Monkey Island 2, if you ask me. ;-)

I won't bore you with the technical details, but I assure you we talked a lot about this and it wasn't something that we were going to be able to do withing the time and budget we had for this project.

Yup, I was the Producer on Tales of Monkey Island. I also did some art for that project, which was super fun. I am glad you liked it!

I would love to hear from you guys on what features you would like to see in the Special Edition of Day of the Tentacle.

I like the comments and concept art in Grim Fandango Remastered, so it would be nice to see that here as well. Even if it is the kind of thing I'm likely to listen to just once.

One thing I liked about the look and feel of the original was the cartoon-style graphics. I don't know if the plan is to redraw the graphics or not, but I do hope that style can be preserved. What worries me a bit is that if the resolution is increased, you will probably need to add more frames to make it look as good in motion as it used to, and I imagine that could be quite a bit of work. (Of course, in a perfect universe this is the point where someone at Disney would have said, "No problem, how many animators do you need?".)

For Grim, Lucas Arts had a TON of large format concepts scanned for us to include in that concept viewer. No word if that kind of thing exists for DOTT, but since I am currently building my "stuff we need to make this awesome" list for Lucas I will add that.

Tweening can be tricky when we are dealing with such an old animation system, but it is something we are discussing. I don't believe MI:SE added extra tweens (Correct me if I am wrong) because of some of the technical limitations. But, we will be looking at what is possible.

For Grim, Lucas Arts had a TON of large format concepts scanned for us to include in that concept viewer. No word if that kind of thing exists for DOTT, but since I am currently building my "stuff we need to make this awesome" list for Lucas I will add that.

Tweening can be tricky when we are dealing with such an old animation system, but it is something we are discussing. I don't believe MI:SE added extra tweens (Correct me if I am wrong) because of some of the technical limitations. But, we will be looking at what is possible.

I believe you're wrong. I'm 90% certain they added extra frames for MI2:SE. Certainly new frames of background animation, and I'm fairly certain for Guybrush, too. The first one, MI:SE, was very basic -- 1:1, but they really upped their game for MI2 (including creating a new system to handle the most complex implementation of iMuse, MI2, digitally).

I believe you're wrong. I'm 90% certain they added extra frames for MI2:SE. The first one, MI:SE, was very basic -- 1:1, but they really upped their game for MI2 (including creating a new system to handle the most complex implementation of iMuse, MI2, digitally).

Ah, good to know. We will have to dig in and see what was added to that code.

I will try and get Oliver into the thread at some point so he can provide some additional info on what was done on MI:SE

Didn't DF Oliver work on MI2:SE?

Didn't DF Oliver work on MI2:SE?

I just update my last post saying that. :)

He didn't remember using iMuse until I sent him that article. So many games to keep straight in our heads! :)

Haven't posted in this thread yet, but I had a couple of thoughts.

On commentary: I kind of like how Portal 2 did commentary, with each clickable 'commentary node' coming from people specific to whatever's being talked about. So maybe for instance Ron Gilbert doesn't have time to sit through a whole playthrough of the game with you guys, but he has time to give you a few soundbites, and so if Ron says something about the hamster puzzle you throw a node with his sound bite near the microwave, etc. If there's some new visual effect for the fireplace you get some of the new team to talk about it and throw that commentary node near the fireplace. Of course ideally there'd also be nodes with commentary from Tim and Dave at many places throughout the whole game, and sort of a medium number of commentary bites from the artists and composers from the original. If that makes sense. Game commentary doesn't have to be quite as continuous as movie commentary, I guess is what I'm saying.

On art: You already seem to have a good grasp on this, but I agree with the majority, make it look like a real saturday morning cartoon. Backgrounds looking like paintings, sprites looking like animation cells, and if there's a slight disconnect there, that's actually pretty authentic.

On controls: is nine verbs too many for a verb coin? I agree with people that there should at least be an option to keep the full-size verb bar onscreen, but at the same time it'd be a bit sad to have nice new HD art and not have it fill the screen. So I like the idea of a verb coin but I wouldn't want it to limit you to only the verbs that are practical to a specific object like the MI2:SE ones did.

That's all I have for now. This has a lot of potential so I'm quite excited.

Haven't posted in this thread yet, but I had a couple of thoughts.

On commentary: I kind of like how Portal 2 did commentary, with each clickable 'commentary node' coming from people specific to whatever's being talked about. So maybe for instance Ron Gilbert doesn't have time to sit through a whole playthrough of the game with you guys, but he has time to give you a few soundbites, and so if Ron says something about the hamster puzzle you throw a node with his sound bite near the microwave, etc. If there's some new visual effect for the fireplace you get some of the new team to talk about it and throw that commentary node near the fireplace. Of course ideally there'd also be nodes with commentary from Tim and Dave at many places throughout the whole game, and sort of a medium number of commentary bites from the artists and composers from the original. If that makes sense. Game commentary doesn't have to be quite as continuous as movie commentary, I guess is what I'm saying.

On art: You already seem to have a good grasp on this, but I agree with the majority, make it look like a real saturday morning cartoon. Backgrounds looking like paintings, sprites looking like animation cells, and if there's a slight disconnect there, that's actually pretty authentic.

On controls: is nine verbs too many for a verb coin? I agree with people that there should at least be an option to keep the full-size verb bar onscreen, but at the same time it'd be a bit sad to have nice new HD art and not have it fill the screen. So I like the idea of a verb coin but I wouldn't want it to limit you to only the verbs that are practical to a specific object like the MI2:SE ones did.

That's all I have for now. This has a lot of potential so I'm quite excited.

All of that is solid feedback, thanks.

We tried to keep the commentary tied to scenes, puzzles or hotspots. It was difficult since the conversations were so free-flowing and organic. I didn't want to be like "Ok, can you say something about the deck of cards in the office", but sometimes we had something that work work for something like that. Did you like the approach we did for Grim (if you have had time to play)?

One problem I have with the presentation of commentary points in Grim is their discoverability. There's no way of knowing where an object specific commentary point might be, and coupled with how easy it can be to miss stuff (mouse control has made a bunch of items stand out that I'd never spotted before in Grim before because I'd not moved close enough or not noticed Manny's head movements when passing by).

Portal 2's representations of commentary nodes as in-world geometry (some of those were item specific, some of those were just related to the scene or more abstract comments - I think they were taken from the same kind of recording session(s) that you guys did for Grim) was definitely better at making sure that players didn't miss stuff.

For anybody hanging out for the Ask The Dev Team thread, things are nearly ready to go. We're just waiting on a thumbs up from Matt before we roll it out :)

Edit: I should check my mail before posting. It's up now. Get those questions rolling in! :D

Regarding the verb bar, could semi-transparency help? Perhaps combined with shrinking it down a bit?

Going back a bit further, thanks for sharing your story about you and your brother, Matt. It wasn't necessary to prove your adventure gaming credentials, though - I'm pretty sure suejak's comment didn't have any real logic behind it and was purely intended to wound. "You're not a real gamer" is an accusation which is all too commonly thrown about in gaming culture but thankfully is increasingly viewed as transparent and ridiculous these days. The dignified majority of us all have faith in you and the team and appreciate your enthusiasm and dedication!

Similarly, it's a shame that DF's transparency can be used as a weapon against them, or can lead to (sometimes willful, sometimes lazy) misunderstanding and misinformation, but honestly I think people who want to complain or make things up will do so either way. DF opening up their process is really exciting for most of us, and though there may be bumps along the way (as documented in the BA vids), I hope that you'll keep pushing forward and forging a more open and civilised direction for the industry and culture.

The verb bar could be reduced to transparent icons that line the bottom of the screen. Also an inventory button that automatically opens when you hover over it long enough.

I've been a fan for a long time, but I don't think I've posted before. Here goes :)

I'm a long-time adventure-gamer, though it was mostly Sierra games. (We only had CGA display until well into the 1990s.) I've been an open source contributor to several adventure game projects, like FreeSCI and ScummVM, for over 10 years. I don't code as much any more, but even back then I was into the idea of minor "remasters" of classic adventure games. Here's a screenshot of a feature I implemented in FreeSCI that allowed for redefining palettes (still limited to 16 colors, just a *different* set of 16 colors) on a per-resource basis:

Before: http://web.archive.org/web/20070613232638/http://freesci.linuxgames.com/screenshots/sq3-pal-without.png

After: http://web.archive.org/web/20070712130411/http://freesci.linuxgames.com/screenshots/sq3-pal-with.png

The idea of extending the palette ever so slightly had a HUGE effect, while still feeling original. I have a mobile game in development that has a similar art style, and a kind of EGA++ palette with a slightly darker low-end added onto the classic EGA palette. It works very well, and most people think it's just flat EGA. My friend Brian ended up doing something similar with Retro City Rampage. (Maybe the Maniac Mansion in DOTT:SE could use an extended palette for a few of the characters?)

One of the things I liked about MI2:SE (and I did mention this to Oliver on Twitter) was the inbetweens for quite a few of the animation cycles. The higher-resolution art in SMI:SE looked good to me, but paired with the 1-2fps framerate, the animation looked more judder-y (technical term) than normal. I can appreciate that not all animations can have inbetweens, but walk cycles and mouth phoneme shapes are where it can make a lot of different. (I wish Grim RE had added more in-betweens on mouth animations, especially on the demon.) I'd love to see Peter do new animations from scratch, rather than trying to frame match with the originals. I agree with earlier notes in the thread about having real animators do inbetweens, instead of an automated morph between the frames. (I don't think anyone would try to do automatic inbetweens with 1-2fps animations anyway.)

MI2:SE also did some cool stuff with color blending/shading to emulate light sources in 2D (sound familiar?). It was subtle, but added a really nice touch -- just like it does in Broken Age.

With regard to music, it would be very cool to license the MT-32 sample ROMs and use an MT-32 emulator for the original MIDI tracks (like ScummVM does). That is a storage-sensitive way to give purists the original intended sounds (not the crappy FM synth) side-by-side with any new score/effect recordings.

Speaking of storage, as a Vita (and PS4) gamer I do appreciate you keeping feature parity across platforms. That being said, for a storage-constrained platform like Vita and iPhone, my personal opinion is that the purist options can be the first to go. On PS4, please use 24-bit FLAC audio assets wherever possible.

As someone who learned a lot of vocabulary from adventure games, please leave the verb bar with the text intact. In fact, it would be *awesome* if the dialogue text would highlight the words as they are being said so that kids can more easily follow while learning to read. Book of Spells and Book of Potions on PS3 did this, and it was really cool. I thought it was cool to see this mentioned on the DOTT wikipedia page: "Grossman stated that the game's writing and use of spoken and subtitled dialog assisted a learning-disabled child in learning how to read".

DOTT's dialogue can be really quite stilted at times due to the separate recorded and weirdly long pauses between characters supposedly having a real-time conversation. It would be cool if some of the timing was tightened up to feel more modern/cohesive and less like a first-gen CD-ROM title.

re: the documentary, I liked the Grim documentaries, but a little more tech detail on what Brandon had to go through would have been cool. The methods used to clean up the video files would also have been nice to know.

Anyway, there's my comments/wishlist. It mostly lines up with what other people have mentioned, but I wanted to throw in my two cents.

Thanks for doing such a great job, Matt (and rest of the team)!

I've been a fan for a long time, but I don't think I've posted before. Here goes :)

I'm a long-time adventure-gamer, though it was mostly Sierra games. (We only had CGA display until well into the 1990s.) I've been an open source contributor to several adventure game projects, like FreeSCI and ScummVM, for over 10 years. I don't code as much any more, but even back then I was into the idea of minor "remasters" of classic adventure games. Here's a screenshot of a feature I implemented in FreeSCI that allowed for redefining palettes (still limited to 16 colors, just a *different* set of 16 colors) on a per-resource basis:

Before: http://web.archive.org/web/20070613232638/http://freesci.linuxgames.com/screenshots/sq3-pal-without.png

After: http://web.archive.org/web/20070712130411/http://freesci.linuxgames.com/screenshots/sq3-pal-with.png

The idea of extending the palette ever so slightly had a HUGE effect, while still feeling original. I have a mobile game in development that has a similar art style, and a kind of EGA++ palette with a slightly darker low-end added onto the classic EGA palette. It works very well, and most people think it's just flat EGA. My friend Brian ended up doing something similar with Retro City Rampage. (Maybe the Maniac Mansion in DOTT:SE could use an extended palette for a few of the characters?)

One of the things I liked about MI2:SE (and I did mention this to Oliver on Twitter) was the inbetweens for quite a few of the animation cycles. The higher-resolution art in SMI:SE looked good to me, but paired with the 1-2fps framerate, the animation looked more judder-y (technical term) than normal. I can appreciate that not all animations can have inbetweens, but walk cycles and mouth phoneme shapes are where it can make a lot of different. (I wish Grim RE had added more in-betweens on mouth animations, especially on the demon.) I'd love to see Peter do new animations from scratch, rather than trying to frame match with the originals. I agree with earlier notes in the thread about having real animators do inbetweens, instead of an automated morph between the frames. (I don't think anyone would try to do automatic inbetweens with 1-2fps animations anyway.)

MI2:SE also did some cool stuff with color blending/shading to emulate light sources in 2D (sound familiar?). It was subtle, but added a really nice touch -- just like it does in Broken Age.

With regard to music, it would be very cool to license the MT-32 sample ROMs and use an MT-32 emulator for the original MIDI tracks (like ScummVM does). That is a storage-sensitive way to give purists the original intended sounds (not the crappy FM synth) side-by-side with any new score/effect recordings.

Speaking of storage, as a Vita (and PS4) gamer I do appreciate you keeping feature parity across platforms. That being said, for a storage-constrained platform like Vita and iPhone, my personal opinion is that the purist options can be the first to go. On PS4, please use 24-bit FLAC audio assets wherever possible.

As someone who learned a lot of vocabulary from adventure games, please leave the verb bar with the text intact. In fact, it would be *awesome* if the dialogue text would highlight the words as they are being said so that kids can more easily follow while learning to read. Book of Spells and Book of Potions on PS3 did this, and it was really cool. I thought it was cool to see this mentioned on the DOTT wikipedia page: "Grossman stated that the game's writing and use of spoken and subtitled dialog assisted a learning-disabled child in learning how to read".

DOTT's dialogue can be really quite stilted at times due to the separate recorded and weirdly long pauses between characters supposedly having a real-time conversation. It would be cool if some of the timing was tightened up to feel more modern/cohesive and less like a first-gen CD-ROM title.

re: the documentary, I liked the Grim documentaries, but a little more tech detail on what Brandon had to go through would have been cool. The methods used to clean up the video files would also have been nice to know.

Anyway, there's my comments/wishlist. It mostly lines up with what other people have mentioned, but I wanted to throw in my two cents.

Thanks for doing such a great job, Matt (and rest of the team)!

Awesome post! Thank you for your contributions to FreeSCI, that was fascinating to read about. Your comments about extending the palette are really interesting. I didn't know Brian had used that for Retro City Rampage. I just watched a video of him getting that game to run on actually NES hardware and it melted my brain. When we get to that part of development I might need to pick you brain if we decide to go that direction with the limited palette sprites.

I am a classically trained 2D animator, so I absolutely hear what you are saying about inbetweening. There is way to much to think about when creating those inbetweens for it to be done well programmaticly.

We are still trying to figure out what we will be doing with the verbs, but I am making note of everything everyone is suggesting.

All of that is solid feedback, thanks.

We tried to keep the commentary tied to scenes, puzzles or hotspots. It was difficult since the conversations were so free-flowing and organic. I didn't want to be like "Ok, can you say something about the deck of cards in the office", but sometimes we had something that work work for something like that. Did you like the approach we did for Grim (if you have had time to play)?

Got to play a bit and see how the commentary works in Grim, and I agree it's pretty close to what I had in mind.

Not sure how well this would work in practice, but I really like it as a concept.

Also, I figured out what my thought was regarding the music: I was somehow repelled by the idea of using an orchestra, and I wasn't sure why, but I think it's because an "orchestral mix" would potentially be strings-focused, and done with a more traditional set of instruments, when I feel like the DotT score would work better if played on an eclectic mix of instruments, with much more of an emphasis on woodwinds than strings. It'd be cool if each time period was recorded with a different mix of instruments, with more strings in the past, more woodwinds in the present, more synths in the future. Throw harpsichord and pipe organ (maybe even bagpipes?) in there as needed.

Hi! Just popping in to see what's going on in here!

*reads entire thread*

Matt, you have been a totally awesome dude in this entire thread. A good and thorough listener, and a consistent supplier of full and honest replies. A real gent. You were even a gentleman about the suejak thing, but if you don't mind me saying so, even though I understand and appreciate the principles of wanting to let all voices be heard and wanting to gather as much honest information as possible, at the same time, sometimes people are just hurtful for no good reason. You didn't deserve that little snipe at all.

Ooh! Speaking of you being a seasoned adventure gamer! I also had no idea you worked on Puzzle Agent! I also have to raise my hand as a person who was drawn back into adventure games by Puzzle Agent. I think before I played the first Puzzle Agent, the most recent adventure game I had played before that was Samorost. And before that, it honestly was probably DOTT. So thanks for helping on that! I enjoyed it a lot!

Special feature and goodies I'd like to see without paying any mind to such restrictive forces as money or time or this mortal coil?

--Updated art with smoother, less jaggedy edges.

--Higher resolution

--Newer, high quality soundtrack (no opinion on keeping the older format music)

Question: I don't imagine anyone wants to change the original VO, but if the music gets a high quality overhaul, is that going to create a weird audio quality disparity between music and VO?

--Oh! And I absolutely would LOVE LOVE LOVE if Maniac Mansion was still playable on Ed's computer. I absolutely loved that in DOTT. I agree with the previous poster, though, that once you find it, it would be nice to select it from the main menu rather than having to go back to the computer every time. (Obviously, you don't need to Special Edition the Maniac Mansion, but you can if you really want to ;-) )

--Commentary: I would definitely love to have some commentary tracks. I can't play the new Grim due to the OpenGL issue, so I don't know how you guys did it for Grim, but definitely would like to have this. If possible, there should be a Tim/Dave commentary for DOTT and a Tim/Ron commentary for the Maniac Mansion easter egg, thus making the old Maniac Mansion easter egg 1,000 times more awesome to dust off!

You're a prince Matt Hansen. High five the rest of the team for me.

Question: I don't imagine anyone wants to change the original VO, but if the music gets a high quality overhaul, is that going to create a weird audio quality disparity between music and VO?

Note that I'm not an audio engineer, but as far as I know, it shouldn't. Human speech can be decently represented with a lower sampling rate than music can. This is why iTunes, for example, uses lower settings for importing Spoken Podcasts [sampling rate of 22,050 Hz, bit-depth of 16 bits, bit rate of either 32 kbps (mono) or 64 kbps (stereo)] -- more than that is something of a waste of space.

So even if the DOTT:SE voiceover stays at a sample rate of 22,050 Hz and bit-depth of 16-bit or whatever it originally was, it should sound decent enough (compare the 44,100 Hz and 22,050 Hz down the page). Unless DOTT voiceover is as low as 11,025 Hz 8-bit or something, which some early games used.