Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
matthansen

Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition Wish List Features

First off, thank you so much for doing this, guys. DoTT was always one of my favourite LucasArts games and I'm so happy that it's been chosen for a remake. Behind Maniac Mansion, I'd say this was the one with the strongest chance of getting remade.

Anyways, here are my initial thoughts...

- Right at the top. A digital soundtrack. This needs to happen so badly as the soundtrack currently only exists in MIDI. If there was ever a time to do it, it's with this release. I'll be so disappointed if we don't get an orchestral DoTT score out of this release.

- 1080p art in the same (or better) vain as the Monkey Island Special Editions.

- Developer commentary with Tim Schafer (and others?).

- Instead of switching to and from classic mode, how about DoTT: Classic Mode contained in Ed's computer in addition to (or instead of) Maniac Mansion?

- Verb-coin interface ala Monkey Island 2: Special Edition. Very nice update to the verb grid and lent itself well to consoles.

- Gameplay fills the widescreen without the original verb grid at the bottom of the screen (ala MI: Special Editions). We can switch between the other two playable characters using the L1 or R1 buttons on consoles.

- Same voice acting clips from the original game. If the uncompressed voice files exist, you could make use of them here. DO NOT re-dub the dialogue even if no better quality audio exists.

- Do not update the game's content to new audiences. It's a classic adventure game and the basic gameplay and storyline should be preserved as such.

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

- Instead of switching to and from classic mode, how about DoTT: Classic Mode contained in Ed's computer in addition to (or instead of) Maniac Mansion?

Oh man, that is so meta. That might cause a tear in the space time continuum.

IMO, preserving the original experience is the most important thing. New flashy graphics and music are nice, but it's only a bonus, and insights into how the game came to be and what it means to people are probably of more value (to me at least).

I'd like to suggest that if a verb coin interface is added, that an option to toggle between that and the original verb grid with be offered separately from any options for toggling old/new graphics.

I suspect it's possibly beyond what you guys are interested in doing, but I'd sort of love to see a post-credits 80s frat movie where-are-they-now style epilogue with a few sentences per character (as text?).

I'd really like a constant presence of Dave Grossman in the audio commentary. Many gamers forget that this game was 50/50 Tim/Dave. :-)

I hope this can be done, even if he's part of Reactive Studios right now.

I'd really like a constant presence of Dave Grossman in the audio commentary. Many gamers forget that this game was 50/50 Tim/Dave. :-)

I hope this can be done, even if he's part of Reactive Studios right now.

I asked Dave if there was a chance he could be involved at all, this was his response:

(Favorited by Tim Schafer.)

An original unaltered copy included as a bonus with the Gog release would be nice. I hate that the MI:SE and MI2:SE releases don't include the original versions.

An original unaltered copy included as a bonus with the Gog release would be nice. I hate that the MI:SE and MI2:SE releases don't include the original versions.

You can switch between the original and special edition versions in both games. Or what do you mean with original version?

You can switch between the original and special edition versions in both games. Or what do you mean with original version?

Probably a version that he can use with ScummVM on platforms other than Windows. I would have loved that for the SEs of MI too.

First and foremost, I have only recently learned of DoubleFine. Despite this and having put love into these old games I want to thank you and let you know you've created a fan for life - I understand you're getting practically no profit from but you deserve all the support in the world for doing this plus Grim and others. I'm also planning on trying your other games in the future :)

I'm a web developer myself and I know the process of putting love into old projects, how awesome and rewarding the project is for minimal result at the end of the day. I wish you all luck and happiness working with this title again.

Now to DOTT, the best game in existance...

Most important

I would really like to be able to revert back to the old interface with the verbs and such without losing the remaster.

Maybe you can have an option in the general settings to use classic interface in remastered mode?

I never got much time out of the new control system in Monkey Island SE 1&2 because their charm was lost in the lack of the traditional interface. I would really hate to see DOTT go the same way, but I would be perfectly happy to have the game available as-is on a legitimate sale :)

very important

Also, keep the big pixels in 1080p. Each pixel could be drawn 4 or 9 times (for squareness) to make the pixels appear bigger but don't have the cartoony look really rounded and smooth - unless of course this could be a display setting. I'm pretty sure this game should be locked to 30fps as I don't believe 60fps would keep the original feel to the game.

edit: Also the LucasArts logo with the tentacle, we need that at the beginning of the game! It's seriously awesome and would bring so much nostalgia and awesomeness.

I would only dream of...

Not as possible, I would love to see some additional support for the guys creating the Night of the Meteor game, be it some support for mods or some adventure creation tools. I understand this is asking too much.

- http://www.night-of-the-meteor.de/en

Others varying in importance

- soundtrack of original and remastered bundled together

- up-res textures, but not to the point of destroying the game

- the possibility of using some unused (or perhaps new) content from the original to get a few surprises.

- commentary from Tim & Dave plus anybody else involved with the project about little details

- game completion counter: I plan on finishing this a great many times.

- achievements

- maniac mansion deluxe (even though it's owned by Disney) easter egg.

- With the easter egg on, I would love to see Maniac Mansion on GoG and Steam, so the story can truly be completed by anybody. DOTT is only what happens after the events of Maniac Mansion and there are a lot of references to it.

- The ability to save (comes without saying).

- video blog of development, like what was done with Grim but more! I would love hours of this material if I controlled the world, I doubt other fans would feel different.

I know it's way too much to ask, but the Monkey Island special editions seriously set the bar for this type of thing. I'd love to see this game (and maybe Full Throttle one day wink wink nudge nudge) get the same amount of love poured into its remaster.

I think the only reason DoubleFine is doing DOTT is because of the existing assets from the cancelled LucasArts project. I don't think we'll see Full Throttle any time soon.

I think the only reason DoubleFine is doing DOTT is because of the existing assets from the cancelled LucasArts project. I don't think we'll see Full Throttle any time soon.

Nope. They've already said that before the assets arrived they weren't even sure what to expect. If the Singapore assets aren't any good, they'll be doing it all from scratch themselves. Also Disney is the one who decided to remake DOTT in the first place, not DF. So wrong on all counts I'm afraid :)

That's not really true. We just wanted to do DOTT next. :)

So you would have done it completely from scratch? That's good to know.

They may still do. It just depends on what they get. If it's good, it makes sense to use what was already done, but if it's not, then yes. From scratch.

Actually LucasArts worked on DOTT before the acquisition. It was canceled soon after.

Yes, they did, but this is a new Special Edition commissioned by the new overlords.

...meaning you do Full Throttle remake afterwards...? ;-)

...meaning you do Full Throttle remake afterwards...? ;-)

Regarding the assets from Singapore, this is what matthansen said to me on another thread:

"All of that stuff is in there too.

I have to be careful with being too open since it isn’t our license, but I will say that I am very happy with the stuff from Singapore so far."

So at least they have those to work on if Tim likes them!! Matt seems to be happy with them!!

So exciting you are all going back to DOTT. If you handle it like GRIM, then i'm on board. Just please don't do the complete paintover like that Monkey Island SE. Yuck. (or make it so I can hide it, and have improved original art like you do for GRIM).

Also, sink in the time to QA Maniac Mansion, and be sure to let us save and quit from it. That's one of the best surprises in the game.

Have Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick as guest commentators to talk about what was carried over or changed from Maniac Mansion. They could also plug their game Thimbleweed Park. :)

Have Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick as guest commentators to talk about what was carried over or changed from Maniac Mansion. They could also plug their game Thimbleweed Park. :)

I really like this idea. Would love to get them involved if they have the time.

On this note, I would love to hear (or see?) multiple commentary sessions if there's recording time - for Grim, it would've been neat to have a separate session to get some more perspectives on the remastering process in addition to the one that's more focused on the original game's development (which is totally the most important thing to have).

The people involved with the special edition will have touched DoTT in ways that few others have had or will have the opportunity to, and those perspectives are likely to be pretty interesting as well.

On this note, I would love to hear (or see?) multiple commentary sessions if there's recording time - for Grim, it would've been neat to have a separate session to get some more perspectives on the remastering process in addition to the one that's more focused on the original game's development (which is totally the most important thing to have).

The people involved with the special edition will have touched DoTT in ways that few others have had or will have the opportunity to, and those perspectives are likely to be pretty interesting as well.

We tried to make the documentary the best way to give a glimpse into the development of the remastered version of Grim. In general, we are trying to be careful to not bloat the package size with additional content. For example, this is why we didn't ship the original music AND the remastered music. It would have been enormous, and that means everyone would have a lot more to download. On the PC, not such big deal, but on the other platforms it would have been more than they can handle. For example, we capped out the size of a Vita build with Grim. We barely made it under the limit set by Sony, and it isn't possible to change that limit for engineering reasons. We wanted to have feature parity on all of the platforms, so this was a very deliberate decision on what we would have room to include.

So for DOTT, we are still planning on doing commentary with members from the original dev team, and we are trying to figure out if we can also do a making of documentary with 2 Player Productions.

We tried to make the documentary the best way to give a glimpse into the development of the remastered version of Grim.

In that case, moar documentary please :D

To me, the three part (I assume there aren't going to be any more episodes) Grim documentary just didn't give the kind of granular/anecdotal detail that I was hoping for. It was a super nice overview though.

In general, we are trying to be careful to not bloat the package size with additional content. For example, this is why we didn't ship the original music AND the remastered music. It would have been enormous, and that means everyone would have a lot more to download. On the PC, not such big deal, but on the other platforms it would have been more than they can handle.

Do those other platforms have the option for additional content to be available as free, optional DLC (I honestly have no idea, but it sounds like that's a good solution for fitting extra stuff in)?

Speaking of which, I'd love to hear the two soundtracks side by side. Are there any plans for making the original available somewhere?

So for DOTT, we are still planning on doing commentary with members from the original dev team, and we are trying to figure out if we can also do a making of documentary with 2 Player Productions.

Fingers crossed on both fronts ^_^

I guess that is what I never understood. Why would someone want to hear the old music?

It's not like the music is totally different. The focus on remastering the music was to replace any cheesy synth tracks with real instruments. This was mostly the piano and guitar parts. Peter wanted to re-record those, and it had been bugging him for a while before this opportunity came up. Is the nostalgia in the how the cheesy synth instruments sounded? The tracks that we had done with the symphony are amazing. I guess I just don't see why those wouldn't be the preference. I am just trying to wrap my head around this.

We want to release a soundtrack at some point, but that was not part of the original deal. It is something we have been discussing for a very long time, so maybe some day.

Adding support for DLC into an engine from 1998 is a lot harder than you might think. It would have pushed out the release date, and I am not sure the value added would have been worth it.

Sign in to follow this