Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

Your thoughts on 2PP's Broken Age documentary

How do you feel about 2 Player Production's documentary series on Broken Age?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about 2 Player Production's documentary series on Broken Age?

• I haven't really been watching them, if I'm honest.
    • Do you have to ask? They've been amazing. So revealing and insightful! Thanks 2PP!
    • Pretty good, but... I could take them or leave them.
    • It's been nothing more than extremely repetitive, DF-glorifying video advertorials.

How do you feel about 2 Player Production's documentary series? (Including all the Side-Quests, etc.)

Personally, I've loved them.

I think they are a very humanizing and interesting look into game development. The downside is they make me feel like I know people who I really dont, the same sin as any documentary or reality TV. I would feel more likely to bother them in the street if I saw them walking. Still, it makes me happy to learn more about how games are made at their level, and continually impressed at their standard of work. Motivates me to do more, and makes me feel a little more shy about my lack of skill.

So, all in all, 10/10 would fund again.

So, all in all, 10/10 would fund again.

Same here - I'd easily fund a similar project. The documentary has been an incredible, insightful journey. I clear my schedule when a new episode arrives just so I can sit quietly and take it in.

In case anyone was wondering, the extremely specific "negative" response comes from a user on these forums, posting elsewhere on the internet, spreading that opinion to those without access to the documentaries.

I'll say it once and I'll say it again - $15.00 for the documentary alone was a steal. That I got a pretty good adventure game too is just gravy.

In case anyone was wondering, the extremely specific "negative" response comes from a user on these forums, posting elsewhere on the internet, spreading that opinion to those without access to the documentaries.

Ha, interesting! Well, I'm sure there are plenty of us spreading positive opinions, too :)

Thanks for clarifying that. I was surprised by how leading that was and just assumed it was extremely tongue-in-cheek (if your tongue was a tiny dagger). It's interesting though, I'm not sure how discussing the delays/setbacks we have constitutes "glorifying" for that person.

edit: on the positive side, thanks to all that have continued watching the series over the years. Any compliments beyond that are just icing on the cake.

Thanks for making them (as well as all the other excellent Double Fine documentary videos). I'll repeat what I said in that thread.

They were a good insight into the development process that we normally don't get to see. I enjoyed them a lot.

Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks for clarifying that. I was surprised by how leading that was and just assumed it was extremely tongue-in-cheek (if your tongue was a tiny dagger). It's interesting though, I'm not sure how discussing the delays/setbacks we have constitutes "glorifying" for that person.

Yes, I thought I had better explain where SUCH particular description came from. Sorry if it was cause for confusion. Personally, I have no idea how that person could justify such a view -- it feels completely dishonest. Of course, they're welcome to explain now...

I've really enjoyed the documentary series. It's given great insight into the game design process and all the pain that goes with it. Too many "making of" documentaries are just people praising each other.

I also appreciate the unhurried pacing and letting people finish their thoughts instead of frantic "dynamic" cutting.

Would've gladly paid for the documentary alone!

They have more than justified all the money I spent backing the project all on their own.

I liked them so much I've gotten other things just for whatever it was 2PP was making videos for, e.g. Amnesia Fortnight, Mighty No. 9.

I haven't been watching them, mostly because I don't want to see any spoilers for the game. I plan on catching up in a big way when the game is finally finished and they send out the boxes to the backers. I'm really looking forward to catching up on the entire series though.

I haven't been watching them, mostly because I don't want to see any spoilers for the game. I plan on catching up in a big way when the game is finally finished and they send out the boxes to the backers. I'm really looking forward to catching up on the entire series though.

Well, if you've played Act 1, you could watch the first 14 episodes as there's literally nothing to do with Act 2 in them.

These docs started right when I was thinking about looking for a job, and they definitely helped sway me to want to come work here at DF.

So yeah, I love them :D

(does my totally unbiased opinion count?)

I was surprised to learn that I've been watching this thing for three years now, so yeah, fair to say I really enjoy them. To think there will probably be only one (maybe two) more to come.

I've watched them more times than I should have. Like them more than some really expensive TV shows. I wish more games would have such a companion series.

Yeah the docs are top notch... captures perfectly the drama of making games and getting to know the Double Fine people. It works as well... With Grim Fandango Remastered, I was going to wait until it hit a sale, as the original box sits on my shelf and I have it playable through an emulator.... but then I think of the documentary and all those Double Fine mouths to feed (in expensive San Francisco no less) and I bought it as soon as it came out.

Very entertaining, so far way more than the game, maybe sometimes it feels too staged or like advertisement but then again i don't know how people tick there. What i don't like is that they are weeks/months behind what's actually going on. I wonder how all this will fit on Blu-Ray. The longer/the more precise, the better, overall, thumbs up.

Speaking of the excellent documentary, does http://adventure.doublefine.com/ work for anyone? I'm trying to rec the series out to other people, and I get a Server Not Found error.
It works for me. So, you should be OK recommending it to people, hopefully.

Sign in to follow this