Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FearMonkey

What's the deal with only eight save slots?

I like to save a lot more than that. >_>

EDIT: Originally thought there was only 4 so the title original asked why there were four but I found it there are eight and that's still not enough so I'm asking a new question. :)

No, his post is quite reasonable and there is no hint of aggression... sure, he could have used more words but the point was got.

I haven't played Grim Fandango properly myself (going to use this new release as an opportunity to fix that) but I assume the original only had 4 save slots too? That does seem rather low..

It's hard to say how many slots had the original because they looked infinite. I suposse someone used them all to know hoy many they are.

Four slots is ridiculous, I hope they could add more.

Monkey Island 1 had infinite saves (limited only by the free space on the floppies or 40MB HDD), and I always liked to keep 1 save at the start of each level for adventure games, which would use up 3 of the 4 available slots, so yeah it is ridiculously limited.

The "deal" is that there are four save slots you can use, and you can always overwrite your oldest save with the newest.

If you meant to actually give a suggestion instead of some kind of weirdly aggressive rhetorical question (not unlike my own statement here... I'm a hypocrite through and through :P), here's my version:

"Would it be possible to patch in more than 4 save states, possibly infinite (or at least unlimited in terms of the hardcoding) as I, and others, like to save frequently at different spots without losing previous saves? Thanks!"

A bit less entitled and aggressive, don't you think? Politeness and kindness is always an option, and often one that yields more results.

I made the post at 3am. Brevity was essential lest I slumber at my keyboard.

But sure, what you said sounds fine too.

Why no autosave? You can only ever move forwards in this game. Why not autosave every time you change rooms, exit dialogue, or add something to your inventory?

Not sure about Steam/GoG versions, but the PS4 version only has 4 save slots. It's very frustrating.

Also, Broken Age only had 8 save slots. That was already way too few save slots. Now I only have 4. o_O

Not sure about Steam/GoG versions, but the PS4 version only has 4 save slots. It's very frustrating.

Also, Broken Age only had 8 save slots. That was already way too few save slots. Now I only have 4. o_O

Ok, the STEAM version has more than four slots (possibly infinite). Are you PS4 peeps sure you're not scrolling right? :-/ On the STEAM version the extra slots only became available once the first four are full.

NLuTn2C.jpg

I haven't saved to all 4 slots yet. I'll try that in a bit. Thanks. :)

But as of now it only shows 4 slots. There's no way to scroll right.

Right, it makes sense I think to not show extra scrollable space until it is needed.

Smiles

It only shows the extra slots when you need them.

I need to change the thread title to "What's the deal with only eight save slots?" because that's how many I have on PS4.

After I saved in the eighth slot, it stopped giving me new save slots.

Eight slots is not enough. I need more. I hope Double Fine can patch this.

I need to change the thread title to "What's the deal with only eight save slots?" because that's how many I have on PS4.

Then edit your original post... You can change the thread title.

Seems to be limited to 8 save slots in the Linux version too, and I assume it's the same for all PC versions. Ideally I think it should be unlimited, since I like to go back and revisit my saves. It's not a huge deal though, since I can just make a tarball of my save directory every time I hit the eight save slot.

Then edit your original post... You can change the thread title.

Done. Thanks. :)

Seems to be limited to 8 save slots in the Linux version too, and I assume it's the same for all PC versions. Ideally I think it should be unlimited, since I like to go back and revisit my saves. It's not a huge deal though, since I can just make a tarball of my save directory every time I hit the eight save slot.

I can't do that on PS4!!! :(

Hi folks.

It was indeed a design decision to limit the game to eight save slots. It was a particular concern for console as the file sizes for Grim Fandango saves get pretty high relative to modern games. It saves the entire lua state in each save.

As for PC, unfortunately there is no plan to allow more than eight slots. As someone mentioned, it is possible to manually copy out files and back them up. This is certainly an inconvenience and I apologize for that. If we receive many reports for this request, perhaps we can reconsider.

As for PC, unfortunately there is no plan to allow more than eight slots. As someone mentioned, it is possible to manually copy out files and back them up. This is certainly an inconvenience and I apologize for that. If we receive many reports for this request, perhaps we can reconsider.

I would definitely appreciate more save slots, even if there is a workaround. I tend to keep savegames at interesting points in games I play, and I'm sure most would agree that there are more than just eight interesting points in Grim Fandango. :)

Hi folks.

It was indeed a design decision to limit the game to eight save slots. It was a particular concern for console as the file sizes for Grim Fandango saves get pretty high relative to modern games. It saves the entire lua state in each save.

I'll also add my request for more than eight. Grim is a huge and complex game with lots of things that you like going back and revisit. I used four saves just for Year One -- and I wish I'd used more. I see that the saves grow in size, and so there may be complaints for console users, but on a PC, I'd certainly like more than eight... especially given that the original had unlimited, IIRC.

Thanks.

Yeah, I was also puzzled by this design decision. It doesn't add anything positive at all.

Hi folks.

So there's no hope whatsoever of the PS4 version getting more save slots no matter how many people request it?

If we receive many reports for this request, perhaps we can reconsider.

Count me in. :-P

See, that's the uncool thing about consoles and mobiles from PC players' perspective. If a dev isn't able to (due to resources/motivation) port/dev the best for each platform, it often drags down the experience for one system, mostly PC. Weird design decisions/least common denominator/bugs/steering issues/... this has such a long history.

Apart from this more general statement, 8 slots aren't a lot if you want to conserve certain states of the game, which you might want to revisit later, but normally they should be enough for playing through the game.

That is an awful trend to limit the savegame slots in current games to 4, 8 or 10. What is the problem with an unlimited number of slots (named by saving date) or an limitation from 0 to 999 or something?

Same problem with Broken Age!

If machine_type == CONSOLE or machine_type == MOBILE_DEVICE

number_of_slots = 4

else

number_of_slots = 999

Endif

If we receive many reports for this request, perhaps we can reconsider.

You should absolutely reconsider. Ok for consoles, but the pc version should have a lot more slots (possibly 'infinite' like before)

That is an awful trend to limit the savegame slots in current games to 4, 8 or 10. What is the problem with an unlimited number of slots (named by saving date) or an limitation from 0 to 999 or something?

Same problem with Broken Age!

If machine_type == CONSOLE or machine_type == MOBILE_DEVICE

number_of_slots = 4

else

number_of_slots = 999

Endif

One review of the Remaster mentioned manual saving as a "negative" of the game T.T

I can see obnoxious hipsters at least making an argument for that, but limiting save slots just screams, "We made this for consoles and didn't bother adjusting for the PC."

When I was taught how to program, I was always told that a thing should have either none, one or an infinite number of values. Imposing random arbitrary limits on a system was an easy way to lose marks. No matter how obvious or reasonable it may seem to you, you are wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_one_infinity_rule

One review of the Remaster mentioned manual saving as a "negative" of the game T.T

I can see obnoxious hipsters at least making an argument for that, but limiting save slots just screams, "We made this for consoles and didn't bother adjusting for the PC."

Yet, at the same time, I just don't see how they didn't realize that people who play it on console might want to save it the same way people on PC do. I understand Vic said they're saving the entire Lua state and therefore sizes would get too big. But if they had planned ahead, I'm sure they could've figured out a better way to handle saving on console so it didn't have to do that.

I, of course, make that statement without knowing how Lua works and all, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a solution out there.

It's the same problem they encountered with Broken Age and skipping dialogue. By the time they realized people wanted to skip individual lines of dialogue, they would have had to go back and completely change how they were animating the cutscenes (or so they told me but I'm too lazy to find link). But perhaps if they had planned ahead they could've given us the ability to do that like we did in the old Lucasarts games. That was my main complaint with that game, regardless of how unsatisfied I was with the difficulty level. I've already read the subtitles, I want to go to the next line, but I can't I have to wait otherwise I'm skipping the entire cutscene. Very frustrating. >_>

Regardless, I am having the dickens of a time playing it on PS4 because I'm forcibly trying to limit the number of times I save. So it's like I make one save at the beginning in the first slot and then keep overwriting saves (except for the one in the first save slot) until I hit the second year. I then make a beginning of year 2 save in the 2nd slot and then keep overwriting saves etc. etc. That way at least I can jump around years. It's all very annoying. >_<

I don't think, for anyone, I've ever needed more than like 3 or 4 save games. I must be in the minority!

Smiles

Yet, at the same time, I just don't see how they didn't realize that people who play it on console might want to save it the same way people on PC do. I understand Vic said they're saving the entire Lua state and therefore sizes would get too big. But if they had planned ahead, I'm sure they could've figured out a better way to handle saving on console so it didn't have to do that.

That's probably easier said than done, but it should be possible for console owners to delete no-longer needed save files if their system gets full.

That's probably easier said than done, but it should be possible for console owners to delete no-longer needed save files if their system gets full.

We can overwrite saves.

The problem is if I want to save a lot of various save states in multiple parts of the game so I can go back and revisit them at my leisure, I cannot do that.

Sign in to follow this