Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
taumel

Some feedback and wishes

Hey, it started slowly but then it worked fine, so far. I've only walked through a few scenes but i liked it. :o)

A few glitches here and there (like in the clown scene). Shadows don't match with lights and shadows of the bg, ..., but nothing dramatic so far. Wow, a new Grim Fandango ... thanks.

Wishes:

I would like to be able to differ between the language of the game and the language of the subtitles. This is important when for example kids are playing the game and want to learn a foreign language and whilst they do understand english/french to a certain degree, it still might be too complex for them getting it all. Therefore you would like to be able to adjust one language for the game but another one (german in this case) one for the subtitles. Or think of people like me who prefer the english talkie but want to enable other subtitles to fresh up those languages.

Options entry (key binding) to toggle the help icons on the right side on and off.

A zipped file of the old game which contains everything you need, so that you can just throw it at ScummVM.

Could audio commentaries also be flagged so that they start automatically without the need to click them (on the first usage)?

I agree with all of the above suggestions, though my main one would be the capability to choose subtitles language independantly of the voiceover language.

And yes, some way to enable or accelerate support for this version of the game via ResidualVM (I don't think ScummVM will ever support any version of Grim Fandango), would be welcome too.

Still haven't bought the game but wanted to play it with my friends, so you can't have english dub and another language's subs?

Those would be nice.

Those sound like good suggestions, and the original game could be in a separate (optional) download.

A zipped file of the old game which contains everything you need, so that you can just throw it at ScummVM.

The original game doesn't work with ScummVM -- I presume you mean ResidualVM? I'm sure the ResidualVM guys are looking at what's been supplied and are possibly talking about adding support as we speak (although I'm not sure to what end). This new version uses a lot of the original game files by default, and in the original format, too.

Yes, being able to choose subtitles independently from voice is super important. As it is, I definitely cannot recommend the game to anyone in my family because they don't speak English and the voices in Spanish are awful :(.

I would have also liked to see improved models, most of them are pretty good but some are really bad. One particular example is the paper Manny gets from the tube at the beginning. I was showing the game to my girlfriend and she said "is this really the remastered version?". I don't think the models require much improvement, Manny's model for example is great except for the shoulders where it looks kind of funny when he moves his arms.

So about the subtitles you can fix it yourself exchanging the files; for example if spanish replace the grim.en.tab file for grim.es.tab

Okay but you don't want to fiddle around with renaming files, instead you want to define this in the options menu.

@ThunderPeel

Yep, of course. Dunno, most people i know say ScummVM to ResidualVM nonetheless.

Okay but you don't want to fiddle around with renaming files, instead you want to define this in the options menu.

Oh yes!

Sign in to follow this