Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SkeeterUK

Disappointed in the remaster.

The problem is that everyone had different expectations, and it is pretty tough to live up to everyone's expectations. I look forward to playing the game in a few months once my back catalog clears up. :D

Smiles

I am disappointed because of its huge amount of bugs, but hey, I'm sure they'll fix them soon.

If there's one thing to be disappointed with in the remaster, it's this:

And that's just the tip of the iceberg...

Agreed! Hope it gets fixed!

This is really annoying.

Well, there are a lot issues and it seems they should work really on a big update. I guess all those other little extra whiches are not as importand.

On the other hand, when everybody is anyway realy busy with Grim still, i guess they could make little changes, like the "Babling" we back than got for the starter-window ... like for when you open the art browser ^^

I'm disappointed in the initial state of the game. With the amount of bugs, missing features and remastered updates that should have been held to a higher standard. And I'm not talking about any make-believe stuff like redone backgrounds, but things they actually could have done something about like the cutscene compression, textures that weren't properly updated, making sure the entirety of the original game experience was available etc.

I don't regret buying early, since it gives me a small opportunity to impact how the game ultimately ends up. Normally I'm not a fan of pre-order customers being treated as bug testers or the Early Access model in general, but that's mostly to do with not wanting to spoil the first playthrough of the game, since Grim is not a new game I don't particularly mind in this case.

I will wait for the final patch and only then re-evaluate my faith in Double Fine if necessary.

Hearing from a lot of people that the old game breaking Elevator Puzzle Glitch is on this version too???? Seriously that was like THE biggest flaw that prevented people from finishing the game originally, how could that game breaking bug still occur in this new release??

I'm happy with it. It's $15 so I wasn't expecting a full on overhaul remaster of the game (especially since it doesn't need it). I think double fine made the right call here. This game is already a masterpiece so you can just throw on some quick polish. I think this will prove to Disney or whomever is making the call on what gets released that these old games are still relevant, and can easily turn a profit by re-releasing them for modern platforms.

One other thing that they did right and has not received enough praise: Releasing it DRM-free and not forgetting Linux users. Had it come out with DRM, and I probably wouldn't have bought it. The linux version just made it much more enjoyable, because I didn't have to use Wine or switch to my windows partition (which I use almost exclusively for games that don't run on Linux).

i am sorry, but i have to agree. the remaster was a disappointment. im not talking about the bugs (missing music, broken animations), im fine with the bugs... i just would have hoped for the background images to be brought to a modern standard (i don't mean redrawn.. just with less compression artifacts)

was it only me, or did someone else feel that the dialogue sounded distorted at times?

ps. felt nice to pay for the remaster though, since i'd only played the pirated version before and it is still one of my favourite games.

Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 21.09.37.png

578d009122123_ScreenShot2015-02-04at21.0

ps. felt nice to pay for the remaster though, since i'd only played the pirated version before and it is still one of my favourite games.

Yeah, well that was Lucasarts' fault for not releasing an updated version that ran on newer systems. Imagine how much revenue they would have lost from people who wanted to buy the game in the mid 00's!

I couldn't have asked for any more.

It's my favourite game.

Looking and sounding as good as reasonably possible.

Running on my PS4.

And it didn't cost much at all.

This exactly.

All made possible by Disney Interactive, Double Fine, LucasArts and Sony Computer Entertainment.

Mostly Tim.

It's opening the door to more.

DOTT on PS4, why not? (Will it be remade in Maoi? Who knows?)

Not disappointed. Couldn't possibly be.

DOTT on PS4, why not? (Will it be remade in Maoi? Who knows?)
It was speculated it would be remade in Moai but Anna stated in another thread that it will be in an updated SCUMM engine. If I were to further speculate, it was deemed less time consuming to fix up and port the existing engine then have to test that the rewrite in Lua rather than SCUMM byte code was not only functional, but nearly identical to the original behaviour, so as not to potentially break gameplay. This would be especially true for all the weird cases given the number of items the game has.

(Edit: Though writing an interpreter for the SCUMM bytecode in Lua is probably doable, and wouldn't be that slow on any modern PC, but again I guess the problem is the insane QA to make sure it all works close enough to before to not accidentally break an easter egg.... or a sound queue ;-p)

What could have been.

The background sure looks very nice, but I don't know... Something's missing. I think it looks too polished, Grim Fandango has more of a cartoonish look.

I mean i get the dissapointment, but i feel like not everything needs to look like a 2015 Unreal-Engine Game when there are allready enough 2015 Unreal-Engine Games out there anywhere. People even still enjoy Clay-Motion-Capture-Movies.

I don't feel that to be less cartoonish, and I'm pretty sure the game would have looked like that if it was possible back in the days. The art remain the same, I mean, patterns, and especially that very strange design for the characters. To me, that was exactly what I imagined when I heard the news for the first time. Though I'm pretty sure my computer wouldn't be able to run the game, it would have been the most beautiful 3D adventure game ever made (Heavy Rain apart, as it's not totally an adventure game), and with such great art.

Poplion, there aren't any game like that with these new engines. Most of them are totally devoid of art, or personality (Bioshock is the exception, but it's yet another FPS). Here, by keeping the original design in every aspect, it keeps its uniqueness from its original release.

But it's interesting to see how people react, and in some ways, I can't even imagine what hardcore fans (and maybe you…) would have said about a remaster like that, which would have asked tremendous work, for a gorgeous look… tons of "they killed the licence" and so on… :(

I think going from 2D to 3D is definitely not ok, but going from old 3D to new 3D sounds totally fine to me :)

Anyway, though I'm fine with the direction they took, I must say when I run the game, I was really disappointed by the fact that backgrounds and cutscenes were in very low resolution. I didn't feel tricked, not feel like DF didn't make their job, obviously something went in their way. But still, as the game was all made in 3D, I was expecting re-renders… anyway, I never finished that game (though I have the boxed version at home) because of the elevator bug I think (at least I was stuck there, I still remember gambling Glottis), and this time I did. And I'm so happy, because it just worths it. The remapping of the controls is great, played all of it with a gamepad, and listened to every single commentary, that was just great.

I absolutely love it.

Having not had the computer capability to playing it first time round I bought it from steam in a sale only to find that my laptop didnt have enough ram to play the game.

Disappointed was not the word, but when said lappy packed up and went to lappy heaven I purchased a new one with enough power ,ram et al, to do me for a few years.

Pleasantly delighted at how well the game lives up to the hype of the past.

Its a classic and will be played many times as do all my fav point and clickers.

Sign in to follow this