Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Acheron

NOT Disappointed in the Remaster

I've never played Grim before so I don't have nostalgia goggles for the 1998 version. Being able to play the game for the first time was 99.99% the point of a remaster for me, so its existence as a playable thing makes it already amazingly successful. I am really loving the game so far and I think the team did a great job.

The other really important thing is making sure we get DOTT and Full Throttle, two games which are also not officially playable today on modern machines (let alone with commentaries). Looks to me that Team Grim brought us the game, improved the parts that they could improve efficiently, and stopped at a point where they would remain profitable with even modest sales. Any additional improvements would have turned into diminishing returns for vastly increased costs, along with the risk of a flop and a cold shoulder when they try to do this again. A profitable Grim means DOTT production won't get cancelled. A profitable Grim and profitable DOTT means Full Throttle has a real shot.

Keep your eyes on the prize, people! Isn't the most important thing that the amazing back catalogue of Lucas is available for everyone?

Okay, i kinda disliked the skipping between the original mode and the new mode all the time while they was presenting Grim ... because i wanted to see the game in it's new shape in the flow. BUT I have played Grim Fandango back than even with windows XP ... i allways disliked the pixelated Textures and felt like i want to turn them off and high quality graphics on ^^

And seeing Manny in High resolution Textures and seeing that glow of the cigarette is just awesome.

For me the Remaster did great works as Manny really looks like he is PART of the Background. The Background was allways awesome. Okay, High Res would have been nice, but there haven't been High Res files and especially no original data for a rerender! It was impossible and making a new background from the beginning of year 2 on would have been crazy, and kinda useless. Am i really kinda nostalgic here? I don't really think so, it is still awesome work and timeless. I mean really.

I recently played Grim on that old XP machine until it crashed ( i told this story now so often in those forum, so sorry guys xD haha i gonne stop it -very - soon, retelling it all over agein *cough ^^ ) but the point is, this game aged incredibly well!

I guess there is one big problem! The first year looks really boring! It are just kinda like right angles and a grey street or garage. You are even kept out of the fair/parade for the day of the living.

I disliked year one for its style like even back than 2002/2003 or when i played it the very first time.

It is the rest of the game that looks fantastic. Don't get me wrong, year one is well done aswell, it belongs to the story and if fits quite nice!

It is a great contrast to Mannys life in Rubacarva and stuff. And everything from that moment on ... was just allways looking incredibly awesome! ^^ IMO.

But yhea, of course year one unfortunatly is where you start your journey. It was allways kinda a problem with Grim Fandango. Cause even when i replayed it, i totally forgot how awesome the rest of the game looked. And double fine should have really maybe shown more of the beginning of year 2 ... Cause ... it's not too far in the story, but i guess it is better as a commercial, as up till than the game is just eyecandy.

Year one ... not so much. ;)

My first time playing the game and yeah I'm really enjoying it. I've switched back to the old graphics a few times and you can really notice the difference.

I guess in the end it comes from what you were expecting from the game. If you wanted the original game slightly polished with a couple of bells and whistles added to it, you'll think it's great. If you came in expecting everything to be remade from the ground up then you're going to be disappointed.

Ultimately it comes down to getting the message out there that it's the former, do that and you'll get fewer upset punters.

I've only played to the beginning of the second year, but I like how they've taken the time to fix some little things in addition to the larger ones that they advertised. These two are fairly spoiler-free:

1. When you first enter the garage, the cutscene of Domino's car leaving played seamlessly for me. Whever I've tried it with ResidualVM (and possibly also with the original game, though I don't remember) there was a slight gap in the sound. Probably because it's actually two pieces of animation played after each other.

2. On Don's computer, you can now tell that there are more messages than could fit on one screen. I don't know how long it took me to realize that in the original.

Did anyone notice anything else?

I'm loving it. It's been wonderful to be in that world again. They added so much with the new lighting and music -- and controls! I've loved it. That said I am saddened by the number of glitches I've encountered as I've progressed through the game (years three and four). That's largely because I want things to be perfect. But overall, it's been fantastic and I'm super happy.

I'm loving it. It's been wonderful to be in that world again. They added so much with the new lighting and music -- and controls! I've loved it. That said I am saddened by the number of glitches I've encountered as I've progressed through the game (years three and four). That's largely because I want things to be perfect. But overall, it's been fantastic and I'm super happy.

I'm glad I don't have time to play it now. I'll pick it up in a few months, and then I won't have to worry as much about the post launch bugs. I look forward to playing it.

Smiles

It's great that it's available again, and it's great that there's actual bugfixing going on (the orginal GF was left in the dust of bugness far too early). I would gladly have paid three times the price of the remaster even though I could have thought of so many ways to improve on the original (hand painted backgrounds, hells yeah).

I'm still not a big fan of these "opposite threads" so strangely common here. ;)

Well, how do you handpaint moving water or moving backgrounds in general? besides the whole games backgrounds are rendered. So for having stayed true to the original they would have to build and texture it all in 3d. And than not let the background just be 3d again that moves would have been a waste aswell. and bam, you are building an entire new game.

And the backgrounds look so damn good. with the new lighting the figures start simply to look as good as the background! for me. what is awesome!

I mean, i play "just" in Full HD - but i cant imagine the background wouldn't even work on bigger screens. but i don't know, of course.

Finished it again on PS4/PSVITA, after playing it last year on ResidualVM.

Thank you so much, I still can't believe it's available for modern platforms. Excellent work!

Loved the remaster. Completed all of the achievements last week. Really liked the the developer commentary (although a visual representation of all of the commentary nodes (similar to Half-Life 2) would have been welcome). It was truly great to re-experience (and finally legitimately pay for) my favorite adventure game of all time. Look forward to more remasters/remakes from DoubleFine. Full Throttle would be great, as I never played that one the first time around.

Sign in to follow this