Sign in to follow this  
Aractus

SUGGESTION thread...

Forgive me for making a brand new thread, but I just thought it would be more productive to collate our ideas into a single thread, so the dev team can consider the ideas and feedback. Obviously fixing bugs is the main priority, not addressing suggestions.

Here's my short-list of ideas:

1. A command-line parameter to launch to the menu instead of straight to the game. There could then be a second link in the start menu that launches the game to the menu.

2. An option to auto-hide the inventory icon. The icon disappears if you use the keyboard, but is permanently visible using the mouse.

3. Screen resolution option. This is pretty essential for people with lower spec PC's that want to improve performance by dropping the resolution from 1080p to something else.

4. A downloadable copy of the original game. I've not played the original in a long time, and I do own it, but for others they may want to try it with ResidualVM, and it would allow them to buy the game and play it on a system that doesn't support the remastered version. I understand there may be legal obstacles to doing this, but if it's possible it would be a great idea to consider.

5. A nice PDF manual based on the original manual, but updated with the necessary details for remastered. I actually did this myself for Monkey Island 1 and 2 back in 2007, have a look if you want Monkey1, and Monkey2, since correct me if I'm wrong, there was never an official PDF for these games. I imagine you already have the original files for the original manual, so it shouldn't be difficult.

I'd love to be able to skip to any chaper after having finished the game.

Also, it'd be cool if we knew how many commentary triggers there are so we could try to find them all. Like "4/50" next to the icon or something.

I'd love to be able to skip to any chaper after having finished the game.

Also, it'd be cool if we knew how many commentary triggers there are so we could try to find them all. Like "4/50" next to the icon or something.

Yes, or alternatively, more save slots would be a good way to fix this problem.

More save slots, especially on PS4 that doesn't have the luxury of copying out old files to a new directory.

More save slots is a good idea.

For the record, on manuals, this is the horrible .exe manual on the Monkey Island Madness disc (some releases had a nice printed version though, like the LucasArts Archives Vol III, others had no printed manual!) I'm a sucker for nice manuals, I always hated EFMI's horrible little cdmanual, same thing for full throttle.

I am linking here the other suggestoions / wishes thread which has a few ideas that I quite like

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/16233/

Wishes:

I would like to be able to differ between the language of the game and the language of the subtitles. This is important when for example kids are playing the game and want to learn a foreign language and whilst they do understand english/french to a certain degree, it still might be too complex for them getting it all. Therefore you would like to be able to adjust one language for the game but another one (german in this case) one for the subtitles. Or think of people like me who prefer the english talkie but want to enable other subtitles to fresh up those languages.

Options entry (key binding) to toggle the help icons on the right side on and off.

A zipped file of the old game which contains everything you need, so that you can just throw it at ScummVM.

Could audio commentaries also be flagged so that they start automatically without the need to click them (on the first usage)?

An ability to force antialiasing in "original" mode (similar to residualVM).

Yay! I found my copy of the original Grim... and here's a link to the PDF manual from the disc. I'd love to see an updated version of that (multi-system) for the Remastered version!

So the original is actually superior in a lot of ways...

I don't know why you would ever do a "remaster" without including 100% all of the features offered in the original version + standard emulators like ResidualVM.

1) More save slots

2) An additional, intense "testing and update" polishing session, because there are too many bugs / details left out (check the bugs forum). Grim Fandango Remastered is supposed to be the ultimate version of the game, after all. If fans will get back to ResidualVM because they miss those things, the remaster could be rather pointless, except for PS4 and PS Vita users. ;-)

1) More save slots

2) An additional, intense "testing and update" polishing session, because there are too many bugs / details left out (check the bugs forum). Grim Fandango Remastered is supposed to be the ultimate version of the game, after all. If fans will get back to ResidualVM because they miss those things, the remaster could be rather pointless, except for PS4 and PS Vita users. ;-)

I agree.

Definitely agreed on the more save slots.

I am of the opinion that this is now mainly a fans / gamers' task.

The developers should ofcourse test that their fixes don't break other stuff, but their play testing session cannot replace or be more thorough than the feedback of thousands of fans (manyof whom are quite dedicated ones and know the original game by heart) trying all kinds of different interactions, configurations, game paths etc.

Good list! But I'm wondering what people's fascination with ResidualVM is here. The emulation offered by it isn't exactly like the original game, either, and it's still quite buggy (sad to say). The changes made for the Remastered are step ups -- and the "Original" mode is just about as faithful as RVM.

I understand the desire to have the original archived for posterity, but it's really something for absolutely die-hards -- the differences so are minor that 99.9% of people won't care to experience them (and indeed, you can experience the differences yourself by watching many of the YouTube walkthroughs) -- and something that you'd actually need Windows 98/Windows XP running to get an actual accurate 1:1 representation of the original (again, that's NOT ResidualVM).

4. A downloadable copy of the original game. I've not played the original in a long time, and I do own it, but for others they may want to try it with ResidualVM, and it would allow them to buy the game and play it on a system that doesn't support the remastered version. I understand there may be legal obstacles to doing this, but if it's possible it would be a great idea to consider.

Good list! But I'm wondering what people's fascination with ResidualVM is here. The emulation offered by it isn't exactly like the original game, either, and it's still quite buggy (sad to say). The changes made for the Remastered are step ups -- and the "Original" mode is just about as faithful as RVM.

I understand the desire to have the original archived for posterity, but it's really something for absolutely die-hards -- the differences so are minor that 99.9% of people won't care to experience them (and indeed, you can experience the differences yourself by watching many of the YouTube walkthroughs) -- and something that you'd actually need Windows 98/Windows XP running to get an actual accurate 1:1 representation of the original (again, that's NOT ResidualVM).

Well, i was quite sad ... - okay, to be honest i was extremly sad that i won't be able to play the game, because of my outdated graphic card. I was hoping double fine would find a way directly open up the original mode and stuff, so i could MAYBE even play it on my "old" 2010 white macbook.

I never realized that i could have played it on Residual ALL those years!

So ... i started watching a playthrough on youtube i liked the guys in (its a german walk through ^^) and now i am be able playing parallel the game. So i solve the puzzles before those guys with the playthrough solve them ^^ so i kinda got both now ... the remaster and the gaming expirience as well ^^

I guess thats the whole Residual Point! It is there! It is playable! But you need that fu#'*ing physical Game ^^ ... i am one of those lucky ones who have it ... but i get the point of Residual ;)

Yes, compared to playing it on XP, i did that last year, Residual isn't as smooth and a little bitty buggier really! (the original had one or two bugs aswell ...) But i managed having now a really smooth run. It really looks like playing it in original mode.

And most importantly. I installed the Deluxe unofficial Patch with residual - and i really really like that! I even starting to miss some features on manny that the deluxe patch added onto him. The really only thing i don't like about the Deluxe Edition is that a) it doesn't work for me in Rubacarva ^^ (but thats okay, original works perfekt so far) and that Glottis is kinda a too rounded up for my taste, his head kinda lost it's shape. His hair again is a really nice new feature! But on Manny are really improvements, i love his new more detailed modeled cloth! I like Meches new modeled hat!

And they used the Point and Click Mod that was made for Residual. ( i havent installed that and also will try my PScontrollers in the remaster ^^)

Well, i am not saying, if anyone is putting any efford into ResidualVM - that, if i read that right is even supported by google! - that it is the best idea having the old game downloadable alternativly along with the remaster. I guess that's not the way that really makes sence on a long run.

But i don't know and i hope, supporting ResidualVM is hopefully a thing going on! Again i don't think it's the best idea making the old version available. It really got it's flaws! Better the Remastered get as close to the original again, with what we are missing now, in the next pachtes and updates! I think thats way more importand than going into negotiations with disney and Lucas Arts.

But now that i have the direct comparison, watching a playthrough on youtube, but playing the inofficial Deluxe version, i really do hope for a Grim Fandango Remastered Deluxe Fan-Edit! :D

It is very much in the spirit of the whole thing also! Just simply having the deluxe models working really good in the remastered version would be just awesome!

I don't would like a whole super duper fancy new edition some people are missing. But those little things and improvements, in the deluxe version, would be great if it found it's way into the reamster, really!

Is there something happening allready?

I read about that topic when i not yet cared about it ^^ So, what is the state of a Deluxe Remastered?

(i allready sneaked into the Residual Deluxe Forum, i also allready found you there, Thunderpeel ^^ and when i will have some time, i gonne dig a little deeper i think ^^ )

I mean it is inofficially. But it needs the double fine game than. So it won't hurt double fine at all ^^ i would really love a remastered deluxe ^^

So what i really wanted to say and now kinda forget to say because of my excitement for the deluxe version ^^ :

I think, before they rerelease the old real original, so it could be played in Residual, It would make more sence beeing kinda open for a community that did allready the deluxe version. Maybe giving them some tips or hints what could be done to let it work on older machines aswell, really.

A Remastered Deluxe version + maybe even an inofficial patch for lower graphic cards and stuff.

If double fine really got time for doing a version that works on older machines that are kinda like 5/6 years old ... well okay.

But i think double fine should concentrate onto making the current remaster as good and as close to the original expirience, but with the best improvements they did want do do.

And ... yhea i don't know. Making it run on older machines maybe even is a task for a modding community? Well, double fine could of course help them. But i am not shure they should do it really all themself. I guess double fine should really more concentrate on the technical present and on the future, really.

1. Because the original will run on systems that the remastered doesn't support, thus if people pay $15 for the game and can't run the remastered, at least they could run the original. It's better for DF and Disney if people pay $15 to them for the game than if they pay someone for a used copy, from which no royalties get paid to the companies, so really it's a win-win.

2. The original is buggy - I found my copy yesterday and installed it (using bgbennyboy's installer), and ran it and it froze-up (when Manny was trying to leave his office). I had to restart my PC (Windows 7 x64). ResidualVM doesn't have that problem. Sure it may have other issues, but at least the game is playable and completeable without freezing your system!

And I do have another suggestion: Put the PAUSE function back in, please.

New suggestions... It would be good if we could use F1 to access the menu without having to cancel cutscenes, etc, the way esc works.

And back on game-resolution, it seems a bit limiting to assume that people will want the game to run at their desktop resolution, for a couple of reasons, imagine you plug your PC into you brand-new 4k-HD Sony or Panasonic or Samsung TV. All those name-brand TVs have cutting-edge upscale chips that take lower resolution pictures and make them look as if they're native 4k; also of course your computer may not be as great and recent as your TV and may not be able to render the game at 4k without issues. That would be one such reason why someone with a computer that meets the minimum specifications would want to be able to select the game resolution in the menu and not have to physically change their desktop resolution each time they want to play the game. So I do hope in the future a choice is given in the menu to change the resolution.

We've already established that RVM offers hardware features (e.g., antialiasing) not offered by the Remaster in "Original" mode. The Remaster also has 8 save slots for no clear reason and a ton of bugs.

These aren't steps up.

1. Because the original will run on systems that the remastered doesn't support, thus if people pay $15 for the game and can't run the remastered, at least they could run the original. It's better for DF and Disney if people pay $15 to them for the game than if they pay someone for a used copy, from which no royalties get paid to the companies, so really it's a win-win.

2. The original is buggy - I found my copy yesterday and installed it (using bgbennyboy's installer), and ran it and it froze-up (when Manny was trying to leave his office). I had to restart my PC (Windows 7 x64). ResidualVM doesn't have that problem. Sure it may have other issues, but at least the game is playable and completeable without freezing your system!

The original doesn't work with hardware acceleration with any graphics card from about 2004 onwards. That leaves you with the software rendering from Remastered version. Is anyone actually saying that they have a machine that can't play Remastered with old rendering? (Especially after all the patches they've released/they're planning?)

I still don't get what the attraction is for the original version. To me it's like complaining that Monkey Island SE didn't include the EGA version, or a perfect rendering of the original MT-32 music.

I get that it would be a "nice to have" for some, but I think there's much bigger things to focus on right now... That's all.

POPLION: We never altered Meche's hat in Grim Fandango Deluxe. Thanks for your feedback, though.

We've already established that RVM offers hardware features (e.g., antialiasing) not offered by the Remaster in "Original" mode. The Remaster also has 8 save slots for no clear reason and a ton of bugs.

These aren't steps up.

Precisely my point: ResidualVM is not faithful to the original experience. Antialiasing was a pipe-dream back then...

The Remastered bugs are being squished.

As usual, the ThunderPeel approach to this problem is: Stop worrying and love whatever you're given, even if it's not what you wanted or what was already available for free.

As usual, the ThunderPeel approach to this problem is: Stop worrying and love whatever you're given, even if it's not what you wanted or what was already available for free.

No, the ThunderPeel approach is this:

1. Don't catastrophize

2. Wait and see if the bugs are fixed

3. Be reasonable

I want all the issues to be fixed by DF, but I'm also able to keep things in perspective: Most of the issues are very minor; I need to give them time to fix them, either way; I'm hopeful that the issues will be sorted.

My biggest problems at the moment: Missing music cues and 8 save limit. I really want these fixed. I'm confident the first one will be fixed, but I'm less confident about the second.

The inclusion of the "original" game, with crappier textures, lower quality music, and worse quality cutscenes, is at the very bottom of my list right now. There's a ton of other things that are far more important.

Q: How was Grim Fandango available "for free" before, exactly?

The biggest letdown for me was the stuttering in the cutscenes. They became really hard to watch and it spoiled the enjoyment of the endgame. I had to go to the resources folder and look for them to watch on the video player. That said, I think the game really is a blast and worthy of all the praise it has received throughout the years. I just hope that this stuff gets fixed for when I replay it with my girlfriend. :)

The biggest letdown for me was the stuttering in the cutscenes. They became really hard to watch and it spoiled the enjoyment of the endgame. I had to go to the resources folder and look for them to watch on the video player. That said, I think the game really is a blast and worthy of all the praise it has received throughout the years. I just hope that this stuff gets fixed for when I replay it with my girlfriend. :)

I believe the stuttering cutscenes were fixed in yesterday's patch.

The original doesn't work with hardware acceleration with any graphics card from about 2004 onwards. That leaves you with the software rendering from Remastered version. Is anyone actually saying that they have a machine that can't play Remastered with old rendering? (Especially after all the patches they've released/they're planning?)

Okay, in the "Requirements are extreamly high"-thread, that kinda was taken over by ... yhea well, i guess i can say so: crazy Windows-XP users, i asked Vic if they can give a official Statement about the real minimum system requirements, so i would know if my Laptop from 2010 with only 256Vram (well shared but still, thats the number) would be able to play.

And as newer Macbooks crashed and having a lots of issues i don't feel like "hey, i just buy it and try it out." I mean, i think they shouldn't go to low with the price from now on in the future. Grim Fandango really is one of those games, especially as the price is really nice allready, that shouldn't be going through the sale out cycle every game is going through now a days. ^^ So i don't know. I will pay for it when i am able to play it. If i want to give double fine a tip, i will give them a tip. But i don't want a game i can't run. I allready have some i got from some humble bundles i bought. I hate it! Having something, but not beeing able using it!

They never made a statement about real minimum system requirements. And as long as i also can't start the game directly in original mode, i won't buy it anyway. + i am allready playing it in a kinda enhanced original mode anyways ... but again that's just because i bought the game over ten years ago on ebay. The possibility for more people playing the game like i do right now, would be of course nice.

But so far no new official minimum requirement yet!

And really, i don't even understand why a macbook from 2010 won't be able to play the game, like, maybe without the new shadows, but at least with the new textures!

As long as there won't be any official statement, really, i am using a laptop from 2010 and not from 2004 and the official requirements and expiriences from people with even younger macbooks telling me: Don't even try it. So there have to be communication from double fines side, if they want older machines to be able to run it.

Again. I would understand their decision to concentrate on dated or future machines, as they are a company.

On the other hand, they might earn more money if like 5 year old machines could play the game like on low graphic settings.

To be honest, that they included the original mode anyway ... it was simply to underline the fact they really did remastered somethings, right?

The only reason ANYONE would ever try the original mode would be, like really, just to think: Whoa did it looked crappy, whoa how good did they remaster it. ;)

I really won't play it ever in original mode, when i really could play it in highest graphic settings.

Edit: The game in it's former form is very enjoyable of course ^^ But yhea, the pixelated textures, i minded them like allways, even over 10 years ago.

And before they rerelease the real original along, really, they should make it kinda like possible using residual for the remaster or something, or themself making it possible, having a smooth run with the original mode with older machines ... but a "original mode" with new textures at least, (but maybe the old shadows) would be nicer really. Of course i am missing all those things like the art browser, achievements, commentaries, and, the new controls, while playing the old game in Residual. But the game itself is the most importand to me, and to be honest i allways was cool with my keyboard kontrolls from 98.

I get that it would be a "nice to have" for some, but I think there's much bigger things to focus on right now... That's all.

POPLION: We never altered Meche's hat in Grim Fandango Deluxe. Thanks for your feedback, though.

And yes, i also think they should focus on the polished game to be as perfect as possible. Cause so far the polished version isn't perfect yet.

And oh really ^^ I guess than it has been better rendered or something with Antialiasing or such ^^ maybe ;D i can't tell right now. ^^

It looked thicker and kinda more hat-like in Residual ^^

Yes, plenty of people. Yesterday I tested the game on a Pentium 2x 2.2 GHz computer to no avail since the graphics card I put in to test it with (a 2009 GeForce card) doesn't support OpenGL 3.3. So yeah, can't launch the game at all to switch to software rendering on that system.

As I mentioned, people who don't own the original game (unlike you and I) would benefit if they find themselves unable to launch and run the remastered version.

I still don't get what the attraction is for the original version. To me it's like complaining that Monkey Island SE didn't include the EGA version, or a perfect rendering of the original MT-32 music.

MI:SE is another kettle of fish entirely. They added voicework done pretty well, and a decent updated soundtrack, but graphics that were outsourced to another company that had no idea how to retain the style of the original. Bill Tiller said that he would have liked the opportunity to have worked on the background for MI:SE but wasn't given the chance. Then, when the game was released, they didn't give users the option to play the game with the old graphics designed by Purcell et al. and the newly done sound-work.

FYI, I can confirm that the system I mentioned above plays MI:SE just fine.

As I mentioned, people who don't own the original game (unlike you and I) would benefit if they find themselves unable to launch and run the remastered version.

okay, tonight i plugged my external display with Full HD out and played it on the original 1280x800 display of my laptop with Risidual. Also i reached year 2 and Rubacarva now, the place where i usually start enjoying the visuals ^^

Yes. Someone who never had the ability buying the old original game, should really have the opportunity.

On a full HD display and in year one i minded the old 3d figures and stuff. But now i don't even feel like i am missing something.

I guess i was so amazed by the pictures with those they promoted grim remastered, (especially Copals office, still wows me ^^) i got kinda mixed feeling in the beginning for the original look. But really. I guess people with older machines would love to play it even that way. (the way i am playing it now) At least in year 2 where Grim fandango starts to unfold its full beauty ^^

Mhm. with rereleasing the 98 game again, they will really save lots of time also. So instead of lowering the graphic needs for the remastered version, (what i think won't enable sooo much people playing it ... i am quite shure a lot of people won't be able playing it never the less) they could like totally focus on making the remaster the most perfect expirience, while everyone who was sad having a too weak system, could play the well aged game anyway. It would them save tons of time and everybody would be happy.

I'm starting to really agree with you!