Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club: Grim Fandango Remastered (with special guests!)

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Grim Fandango Remastered (With Special Guests!) (starting 7th of February)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don't like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don't have the game or don't feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Violett

Next Game: Spy Fox 2

WbbmhLJ.jpg

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS

- 7th February, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session and general discussion plus dev chat with Lee Petty (log)

- 14th February, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session and general discussion (log)

- 21st February, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 3rd game session and general discussion plus dev chat with Bret Mogilefsky, Matt Hansen, Brandon Dillon and Oliver Franzke (log)

- 28th February, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 4th game session and general discussion plus dev chat with Tim Schafer, Bret Mogilefsky and Oliver Franzke (log)

SPECIAL GUESTS

- Tim Schafer (@TimOfLegend)

- Bret Mogilefsky (@bmogilefsky)

- Brandon Dillon (@Noughtceratops)

- Oliver Franzke (@p1xelcoder)

- Lee Petty (@leepetty)

- Matt Hansen (@mhansen3113)

- More guests to be confirmed!

ABOUT THE GAME

Something's rotten in the land of the dead, and you're being played for a sucker. Meet Manny Calavera, travel agent at the Department of Death. He sells luxury packages to souls on their four-year journey to eternal rest. But there's trouble in paradise. Help Manny untangle himself from a conspiracy that threatens his very salvation.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE

- Grim Fandango Remastered Website (Win, Mac, Lin, DRM free, Steam key)

- GOG (Win, Mac, Lin, DRM free)

- Steam (Win, Mac, Lin)

- Humble Store (Win, Mac, Lin, DRM free, Steam key)

GAME CLUB INFO

- Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)

- Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you're not sure)

- @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)

- Game Club planning thread

- Game Club F.A.Q.

Edited by Cheeseness
Fixed URLs after forum upgrade

To help keep everybody in sync, we're planning to play one year per session (with the last session including the 5th year). Be sure to play ahead of time before each session! :D

I am wondering the exact same thing... I have beaten the game and there didn't seem to be a 5th year...

[cue embarrassment]

You know, I'd always thought that the events of the finale took place after the end of the 4th year, but upon a closer look, that seems to have been an assumption on my part. Sorry for the confusion :D

Yeah, it's always been four years, as eloquently put by Olivia in the Blue Casket club:

With bony hands I hold my partner

on soulless feet we cross the floor

the music stops as if to answer

an empty knocking at the door

it seems his skin was sweet as mango

when last I held him to my breast

but now, we dance this grim fandango

and will four years until we rest.

Optional scenes like that (and Glottis' Rusty Anchor song, and the Sea Bea's chant of Manny Manny Calavera!) are part of the reason I love Grim Fandango so much. Hopefully at least some of that will be in your playthrough. :)

Tough decision! I haven't played Grim yet, so I'm hesitant about tuning in...there be spoilers a'plenty!

...but DF Game Club! GAH! SO CONFLICTED

Tough decision! I haven't played Grim yet, so I'm hesitant about tuning in...there be spoilers a'plenty!

Oh man. That's literally ALL the spoilers. A huge shame to see everything through the video first.

Also: Feb 14th at 9pm... A fair few people will not be able to make this one..!

We'll be going through at one year per session, so there's a chance to play during the week ahead of time if you can wrangle it (that's the general idea too - everybody's meant to play in their own time and then come together on the weekend to share thoughts and experiences).

I think you should be able to get to the end of the first year in maybe 2 - 3 hours of play time if you take it slow. What do others reckon?

Also: Feb 14th at 9pm... A fair few people will not be able to make this one..!

It's 7:00am Feb 15th for me, but I think I'll still be having a romantic evening of playing Grim Fandango with Mim the night before :D

Optional scenes like that (and Glottis' Rusty Anchor song, and the Sea Bea's chant of Manny Manny Calavera!) are part of the reason I love Grim Fandango so much. Hopefully at least some of that will be in your playthrough. :)

I plan on exhausting as much optional content as I can when I stream it. Feel free to mention something I may miss in chat, but remember that there's a ~30 second delay on Twitch so I need to be alerted ahead of time.

I'm not immediately aware of any funny use-item/verb-on-NPC interactions aside from the Robert Frost balloon on the pigeons, so those are the ones I'm most likely to miss unless I'm told about them first.

I should be around for this tonight! Are there any guests confirmed for this session? Are all of the guests listed in the OP going to do multiple sessions?

Just a quick update on guests. We're still nailing down dates, and most people have said that they're unavailable for the first session.

Oliver is planning to join us on the 21st, and Brett sounds like he'll be available for the 14th, 21st and 28th. I'm still waiting to hear back specifics from Brandon, and Peter McConnell just got in touch to say he'd be keen if he can squeeze it in.

The chat log from today's session is now up in the first post. Thanks to everybody who joined us today.

We had Remastered edition art director Lee Petty drop in as a short notice guest during the stream. Massive thanks to Lee for making time to chat with us, and thanks to everybody else you joined us today!

Regarding some of the discussion about what caused different types of flowers for different people's deaths in Grim Fandango (there was some discussion of that during the first session), Tim had this to say on Twitter today.

I always assumed it was the sproutee. :)
There's slow-acting and fast-acting. Don't remember flower-specific [ammunition]. :)

Regarding some of the discussion about what caused different types of flowers for different people's deaths in Grim Fandango (there was some discussion of that during the first session), Tim had this to say on Twitter today.
I always assumed it was the sproutee. :)
There's slow-acting and fast-acting. Don't remember flower-specific [ammunition]. :)

Good to have that cleared up! Thanks to you and the other questioner!

Found this first session v interesting - for example, Lee saying that with a load more time he would have liked to redo the cutscenes. Looking forward to attending or reading the next ones!

Yeah, there was some interesting stuff thrown about!

I just got word from Matt Hansen (who was Executive Producer on Grim, and is taking the helm for DoTT as well), who said that he'll try to join us for the coming session if he's able.

I'd reeeealy like I join in on one of these, but I have an awful habit of sleeping in on Sundays (and through alarms) so I'll see.

I've just gotten word from Matt, who says he'll be unable to make it to today's session due to a last minute thing that's popped up, and Bret has had flights conflict with our timeslot this weekend and sends his apologies as well.

We'll be going live with our second session in about 10 minutes. Come join us!

Man, I was playing Forced with a friend and missed this week's session :(

The chat log from today's session is up! Big thanks to Bret, Brandon, Matt and Oliver for joining us! It was a fun session!

We just got confirmation that Tim is planning to join us for the final session this weekend \o/

The chat log from today's session is up. A very big thank you to Tim, Bret and Oliver for joining us today, and to Lee, Matt and Brandon for joining us earlier in the month.

Next week, we'll be making a start on Spy Fox 2. In the meantime, what did everybody think of Grim Fandango?

Here are some of my thoughts:

Story: 10 (Grim Fandango's plot is one of the most solid and mature examples of storytelling to ever grace a game. The pacing, characterisation, atmosphere and plot are superb and well executed. Grim Fandango manages to balance being funny, tense, thoughtful and moving. It's symbolic yet compelling.)

Usability: 8 (A lot of people like to rag on the tank controls of this game. When I first played it, I never felt like it was a big problem, but it is cool to see that corners have been rounded a bit and bounciness toned down for the remastered edition. The new mouse controls feel like they make certain aspects of the game more accessible, but also don't map well against others (like say, the axe puzzle).)

Gameplay: 8 (Grim Fandango is the culmination of experience gained from so many classic point and click adventures. In some ways, it feels like a pinnacle, but it's not without some awkwardness. Some puzzles feel like they were pushing new ground and didn't quite have the best execution (say, the pump tree for example), but over all, it's a solid game with many memorable puzzles, dialogue trees, etc..)

Assets: 9 (Grim Fandango wasn't the first to try meshing pre-rendered backgrounds with real time graphics, but it stands out to me as the most memorable one. The backgrounds obviously have a lot of time and love in them, and though there are a few prevision issues made visible in the higher res remaster the real time graphics are pretty well done as well. In particular, the character animations have always seemed a cut above anything else from that era, with so much character and nuance being packed into cutscenes and real time animation.)

Impact: 10 (Grim is one of those games that feels iconic and timeless. Its lasting impression is a testament to the talent, skill and creative genius behind the game.)

Overall: 45

Completed: Yes

Hey everyone,

I have been asked to post this, in case it interests anyone.

Back in 2004, I was interested in contributing to the open-source implementation of the Grim Fandango engine, now known as Residual.

I found that several things haven't been implemented yet, namely drawing text with the game's font (for subtitles), and lip-syncing.

They seemed like simple tasks - ones that don't require extensive knowledge of reverse-engineering, and pretty self-contained.

Here are some screenshots I took during development, with some commentary.

Most speech audio files in the game have a similarly-named file with the lip-syncing information.

The files were generated using software called Microsoft Speech. It assigns special mouth movements (called "phonemes") to different times. Each character model has several images for each mouth movements.

I had to figure out how the mouth movements in the lip-sync file match the images in the game, and the following picture show the match between the two.

Kdm7r6O.png

This is a test I made to see if I could decode the font files correctly. I printed each "pixel" as a # character to a text console instead of to the screen, and compared the distances between letters to the original game.

I didn't get it quite right, but it was fixed later by other, more talented, developers :)

2tEbBrq.png

This is a test picture I took for someone in the development chat room. It compares the original game, to several rendering modes in Residual:

2IwS513.png

And for fun, here's an image gallery of the Hebrew manual for Grim Fandango :)