Sign in to follow this  
Lebostein

Which musics are new recorded?

Which part of the music files are new recorded? Only the title music?

I don't have a list unfortunately, but it is a lot more than just the title music. I haven't played through the whole game yet, but I'm noticing differences with all the tracks that have some orchestral element. The music that plays on the ledge in El Marrow (Year 1) is a good example for instance (

at 23:50). Also, almost everything in the cutscenes. Another forum user already pointed out the year 1-2 transition, but it's also very noticeable in the scene in which Manny tries to board the SS Lambada (
around 12:10).

The changes are sometimes rather subtle, but personally I'd say this remaster takes the soundtrack to a whole new level.

There's certainly other music that changes... off the top of my head I can remember:

The music on the roof with the pigeons seems to have a new string part, and flute part too. It's a similar arrangement but a few more flourishes. It's an improvement on one of the more understated but actually kinda catchy tunes in the soundtrack.

Then the LSA music, in the underground bunker, both the year 1 and year 4 versions appear to have changed subtly. The wind instrument sounds like it might have been re-recorded, and the electric guitar, too. It's subtle, but it has a bit more of a rich, organic sound now.

As has been pointed out, a whole lot of cutscene music has changed

Also, I get the feeling that even where the orchestra wasn't used, they might have switched out old samples for more modern equivalents for some of the sountrack.

Quite a few changes, really, all for the better. Honeymaker already referenced the music I was most interested in hearing orchestrated, which is the big cue near the start of Act 2, when Manny tries to run after the ship. It was always a big musical moment that really wanted an orchestra backing it up.

(edit: listening a bit closer it sounds like in the cutscenes maybe there's a bit of blending between original, new orchestrations, and altered versions of the old orchestrations. When that bird sequence starts, for example, the strings sound modernised, but the woodwind samples sound like the old samples, and then if you listen very closely there's a subtle shift in timbre at around the point when the ship's horn goes off, where it seems to change to full orchestration.)

Yeah, some changes are subtle but all the songs are changed, and they all sound amazing.

The only cutscene where it seems like they have left the same audio is the little one of Hector falling from the neon ledge.

Every track which had a string\horns\brass\orchestral part, has this part rerecorded.

And, hey, there are some guitar overdubs! :D (Like in Mr. Frustration Man, finally! That fake guitar was always bugging me since 98', as a guitarist. :P )

Then the LSA music, in the underground bunker, both the year 1 and year 4 versions appear to have changed subtly. The wind instrument sounds like it might have been re-recorded, and the electric guitar, too. It's subtle, but it has a bit more of a rich, organic sound now.

As has been pointed out, a whole lot of cutscene music has changed

Also, I get the feeling that even where the orchestra wasn't used, they might have switched out old samples for more modern equivalents for some of the sountrack.

Yeah, definitely. Sometimes it is so subtle that I'm unsure whether it's my memory failing me or that they've remastered it a bit. Even something like Blue Casket Bop (a personal favourite of mine) seems to have been enhanced a little bit. Not sure if they changed some samples, improved the quality of the audio mix or if it's just my ears.

Oh yeah, and all tracks are remastered from the original Pro Tools multitracks, so, yeah, 48.000 Hz \m/

I'd love to see a "Making of" just for the soundtrack! That bit in the third episode where Peter McConnel was figuring out a guitar part for one of the pieces was delightful to watch and listen to.:)