Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

New "Gold Flakes" texture

FIXED

I've fixed the typo on the "Gold Flakes" texture.

I hope DF can put it to some use...

I don't know if the idea was to always have text being a bit "hand drawn", but there are other textures that don't have that, so I've mimicked them.

Original ("GOLD FLAKE"):

JXYj5in.png

Remastered ("GOLO FLAKE"):

AKdrlRQ.png

Pbgydu4.png

2IuugIs.png

REPLACEMENT TEXTURE: (24-bit PNG at the right size, ready to be dropped into the game)

FULL SIZE DOWNLOAD: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30449117/dark_bottle3.mat.png

Maybe the DF team would want to add a bit of blur to soften it? Not sure.

Did they seriously write "GOLO" on the released version? Haha! Come on, it's called "Marillo de Oro", and they should know "Oro" means "Gold", from spanish and italian. At least I thought they knew, since they created this object :D

I'm pretty sure that's not a typo - that is actually a D, it's just pixelated in such a way that the sharp edges of the D are smoothed. Look at it, you notice the left contour is straighter and the right contour more rounded.

I'm pretty sure that's not a typo - that is actually a D, it's just pixelated in such a way that the sharp edges of the D are smoothed. Look at it, you notice the left contour is straighter and the right contour more rounded.

I know, I know ;) I was talking about the original remastered texture, which reads "GOLO" :D

Ah. I had not seen that version- The game doesn't run on my laptop due to Sony being lousy at tech support and not releasing updated drivers for my graphics chipset since 2009 (the card itself didn't even enter production until 2010!), and the AMD driver updates doesn't support these chipset drivers, unlike the card with the exact same name and specs, which they do support. *sigh*. Supposedly the card is able to support OpenGL4.1, but the Sony drivers only bundle 3.1...

This isn't mentioned in the changelog...? :-/

Did they change it? I couldn't have made it much easier for them to drop into the game.

This isn't mentioned in the changelog...? :-/

Did they change it? I couldn't have made it much easier for them to drop into the game.

No, still the same

Great, now we can talk about why the texture of the sproutella logo is a cute face instead of a deadly skull.

Oye! If you don't mention these things, how are DF supposed to know about them (and so fix them)? Could you take a screenshot to illustrate what you're talking about?

The Sproutella logo is a skull, but in the new textures is just a yellow circle with two little eyes.

127462318159.jpg

btPNIlw.png

zt4soX4.png

Its pretty clear even in its pixalated state that its a skull. I dont think the joke works if it's not a skull accompanying the cross bones.

Hmm. I'm not sure you can definitely say it's supposed to be a skull if it's not from the game itself :-/

I seem to have seen the hi-res Sproutella logo on some additional material of the original game - either the box packaging or the instruction manual. I think it's actually the spine of the cardboard box.

I seem to have seen the hi-res Sproutella logo on some additional material of the original game - either the box packaging or the instruction manual. I think it's actually the spine of the cardboard box.

You're right... They're on the back cover of the original box, but every scan I've seen is too lo-res to make them out in any detail.

Actually the High Res one is on the Top Flap of the Box, here's a picture I just took best I could with my phone:

IMG_20150227_184833.jpg

IMG_20150227_184833.jpg.762601fbd9213dc9

Ha the poor design artist probably didn't expect his/her work to undergo such meticulous inspection.

I seem to remember a digital version of that flower image coming on the original game disc. It might have been one of the BMP files, or an installer/uninstaller resource, or maybe an icon in one of the executables. I can't remember how big it was, but it may have been an unscaled version of the one with the green background posted above.

That old hd texture looks so... 90s, for some reason. I love it.

I seem to remember a digital version of that flower image coming on the original game disc. It might have been one of the BMP files, or an installer/uninstaller resource, or maybe an icon in one of the executables. I can't remember how big it was, but it may have been an unscaled version of the one with the green background posted above.

Correct, it's an icon file used for the game to show when the disc is in the drive, here it is as a PNG below, and here's a link to the original ICO: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49393425/FLOWER.ICO

FLOWER.png

FLOWER.png.f149a59d0a655924f640f05afc330

Correct, it's an icon file used for the game to show when the disc is in the drive, here it is as a PNG below, and here's a link to the original ICO: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49393425/FLOWER.ICO
Yes, that's it. I guess it looks like a better resolution can be gleaned from the printed box art though.

Still, it's impressive to see 128*128 icons in a 1998 game. (You could fit a maximum of 15 whole ones into the entire game screen.)

Well maybe now that it's been pointed out with both a photo and a low res but workable digital copy of the image it's supposed to be someone on the art team can quickly whip this fix up?

Sign in to follow this