Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bdavisshannon

When do you restart? When do you reload?

Magerious asked this question over in the Hunter thread and I thought it was an interesting way to get at play style.

I personally don't reload at all and I don't restart unless I lose. Basically, I play Iron mode across the board.

I had one game where I had a total team wipe three times. Once at about 100 years; once at 230; and once a little later than that. 230 was pretty much a game killer, but because I still had my houses standing, I was able to strategically handle the battles and make it to 300 years (whereupon I won because of my ancestors who were killed around year 230).

The year 230 wipe demonstrates something I love about this game--I lost and it felt fun. My breeding was going very badly, so I had very limited resources. My trainees were under-leveled. My team was made up entirely of three heir apparents, and two seasoned heroes--one of whom was going into the crucible after this battle. When I wiped, it completely destroyed my long term plans. But if I had made it through that battle, I would have been locked in place. I lost because I made mistakes, not because the game was unfair. And the fact that even after that I had a moment or two where I felt like I almost crawled my way back was really satisfying. That feeling of balancing on the razor's edge was great.

So, how do you play? When do you restart the game? When do you reload to an earlier point?

As I said in the Hunter thread. I tolerate almost no death. I save a lot, especially in battles where like 40 Twitchers are teleporting your squad into nests of death. I try not to save until year 135, as by then one battle that you lose the future of all Hunters (your good hunter) is unrecoverable.

So, how do you play? When do you restart the game? When do you reload to an earlier point?

The first reason to restart is : I chose a Regent with no suitable partner (will be fixed eventually, according to http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/16426/)

In my last game (http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/16119/) , I was trying & comparing 5 different classes (1 Caberjack and 4 caberjack hybrids) and I wanted to see for myself how they were "balanced", and explore the Hybrids at the same time.

I never reloaded except :

- A random event popped and destroyed a building that would compromise my game having one of each 5 classes in each battle until the end.

- Once, I built a new keep for a Hunter family (in order to breed the Enforcers). I recruited heroes and got either no hunter or only infertile ones. I reloaded so I could compare the different classes at every stage of the game (low level - high level).

- Once, a random event made a very young standard Disheartened, so I'd be stuck with an entire army of people with Low movement & low accuracy for ... like forever, since the personnality would spread for generations. It felt "unfair", and compromised me being able to compare equally the 5 different classes.

- I forgot to equip Regent/Partner/Standard before a Keep battle (They really should appear in the "Equip screen" before battle).

I would have reloaded if I lost my Red-caber-relic to a random event, because this relic is not supposed to exist in the first place.

I look forward for trying a Hard game in Iron mode, play as good as I can, and see if I will make it through the end, and note what will kill me, such as :

- very bad decision

- being forced to bring enforcers into a battle

- random event

I reload when I mis-click, mis-use abilities, or occasionally if my party is wiped out before 10 turns on a battle-map. About once a game I get pretty attached to a character and will reload if that character is the first character killed on occasion. I tend to restart by about turn 75 if I've lost too many battles or had events disrupt things too much to make the game a challenge and instead a slough of frustrations.

I've reloaded in battle maybe twice in order to re-do a party wipe; I was a little guilty about it, but an atrocious string of RNG luck was always involved. (One involved 2 surviving caberjacks dying to 3 remaining Advanced Seeds after missing about 8 times in a row on 80+% odds.) Losing an individual unit here and there isn't something I've ever worried about, and I am honestly struggling to recall any actual defeats.

At the strategy layer, I've reloaded to address event outcomes that seem WAY too extreme (losing a building, all heroes losing all personalities, young Standard gains Disheartened), but the more impactful savescumming has been on the Cadence attacks themselves. If your outer regions' corruption are at 2-2-1-0-0 strikes, there's a big difference between the two 2-strike regions getting attacked, the two 0-strike regions getting attacked, or some other combination. This is exacerbated towards the tail end of the game, when you can freely sacrifice empty regions or a Sagewright's guild, but Keeps and Crucibles are still valuable. (Also worth considering - even if you don't need a particular keep for unit production, you can lose relics if the regent, partner, or trainees are holding them, I think.)

Sign in to follow this