Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

Questions for the DoTT Remastered Team

ANSWERS FROM THE DOTT REMASTERED TEAM!

Hi people!

Last year, we invited community members to submit questions for the Day of the Tentacle Remastered team. In the posts below are answers from:

* Matt Hansen - Project Lead / Executive Producer

* Oliver Franzke - Lead Programmer/ "Code Archaeologist"

* Dave Grossman - Original Writer and Designer

* Tim Schafer - Original Writer and Designer

* James "Spaff" Spafford - Community Manager

Thanks to everybody who participated!

Answered Questions

Third Batch

Published 2016-03-31, with responses from Matt Hansen, James Spafford and Dave Grossman. Updated 2016-04-05, with responses from Oliver Franzke

Will a version of Maniac Mansion be included with the special edition of the game similar to how it was originally included? If so i assume it won’t be a remastered remake all its own, but could it be a scummvm compatible copy such as dos v2 or the commodore 64 version? - Permafry_42, Alfred J

Yep. We included the EGA version of MM.

Will the classic Verb System still be used in the Special Edition? Will the game crop out the verb/inventory bar for a 16:9 presentation? - Monkey Mania, tob_edison

We wanted to give you guys the choice, so you can play both the remastered as well as the original version with and without the verb-bar. I'm biased of course, but I think the programming team did an amazing job adding a retro-looking verb coin interface to the original version.

Are there gonna be a hint system of some description for new players? - RMJ

Nope. All the puzzles all the fun! ;-)

Someone should ask Oliver something super technical so we can all sit back in awe wondering what he is talking about. - matthansen

Hmm... a bit vague Mr. Matt Hansen. :-P

With DotT we had the advantage that we could build on top of the technology developed for the 'special edition' versions of Monkey Island (internally we called the 'remonkeyed' versions at LucasArts). Since I wrote a lot of that code myself while working at LucasArts it felt a bit like coming home. We did update a bunch of our art pipeline tools to make it easier for the artists and animators to create the updated graphics. Of course there was still a lot of other stuff to do. Making the old SCUMM engine run on 64 bit machines took a bit of work. Matt already posted some information about how the audio was remastered, so please check that out too.

One thing that always amazed me when working on the remastered versions is that some of the techniques used back then are surprisingly hard to recreate with today's tech. The best example is the palette animation. Back in day games could often only use 256 colors due to memory and performance constraints. So pixels of an sprite would be represented by a single byte (value range 0 to 255) which contained the index of the color to use. The actual color (represented by RGB values) were stored in a (color) palette.

One nice side effect of this indirection is that the colors in the palette could be changed over time, so when a sprite is drawn it would look different. This was often used for ambient animations like water or fire (Palette color animation example).

These days we don't have these limitations anymore and therefore pixels are represented by RGB values directly, which means that we can use way more colors (24bit: 16777216 vs. 8bit: 256). This makes it much more complicated to create these color animations though, because there are more colors that would need to be changed over time and it's not trivial to animation only a sub-section of the image (if blue is changed over time then all blue pixels in the sprite will be affected).

This technique was used a lot in DotT. For example the spinning spiral in the beginning of the game is done using a palette animation. We ended up re-creating the effect by rendering fullscreen sprites created by an animator. In Monkey Island special editions we often used shader and particle effects to represent these effects.

You programmers out there are probably now thinking: "Couldn't you use a color look-up texture?" You are absolutely right of course. We found however that it's pretty hard to author sprites this way and one of our main goals was to make the artist workflow as intuitive as possible. Having said that we are using a similar technique in one of our upcoming games. I won't say which one though! :-P

Answered Questions

Third Batch (continued from previous post)

Published 2016-03-31, with responses from Matt Hansen, James Spafford and Dave Grossman

Have you tried getting access to the uncompressed recordings for the foreign languange dubs as well? - Laserschwert

Matt: We tried to get hold of the original German recordings but unfortunately were not able to. The studio who recorded them was long ago acquired by another company, and despite contacting them (thanks to Laserschwert for the help!) we could not find the recordings.

In the game, George Washington commenting on Hoagie’s name being “like the sandwich” seems to contradict Benjamin Franklin’s later promise to name an invention after Hoagie. Is there a story behind that, or is it an oversight? - ThunderPeel

Matt: I always assumed Ben was referring to the Pot Belly Stove, which was one of his inventions!

Spaff: Really? As a kid I had no idea what this was referring to, having never heard of a Hoagie before and having no internet to look it up on. I’m still not entirely sure what that is other than some kind of sandwich.

Dave: He's talking about the sandwich, of course. What happened was this: On his way back from the kite experiment, Ben Franklin stopped to answer the call of nature. He noticed the unusual design of the outhouse and assumed it must be one of Red Edison's projects. Hoping for a bit of revenge over Red's having stolen a few of his inventions, Franklin quickly made a sketch of the operative elements of the Chron-o-john, from which he subsequently developed a working time machine. It was inconvenient to use since it required a lightning strike to power it, but he did travel back in time in order to patent the Hoagie sandwich well ahead of his rivals, enriching himself to the point where he could afford to fly kites all day instead of working for a living, and also making it possible for George Washington (and the maid at the inn) to have heard of the sandwich before he'd invented it.

Or, Franklin found Hoagie's driver's license where he dropped it and learned that Hoagie's given name is actually Rodney, and he named the lightning Rod after him.

Or, possibly what happened is I wrote the dialog with Washington and the maid, and Tim wrote Ben Franklin, and we were either too busy to notice before voice recording that we'd created an unplanned extra time paradox, or too busy to care. I seem to remember it coming up at some point, but I have no idea when.

But that's a less interesting story.

If you were given the opportunity to work on a sequel to an existing LucasArts adventure game (such as the cancelled Sam & Max game Freelance Police), how would you approach that? - Bad Asp

Matt: Our approach would be a sort of cross between the Remasters we’ve worked on, and Broken Age. We’d need to work hard to maintain the original intentions of the artists and designers, whilst also creating a new game from scratch. Personally I’d love to make a sequel to Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders, and I’d also love to make it so that it had a ‘remastered’ mode - new, modern graphics and play style for sure, but also a mode that looks identical to the art style of the original. If we were to do that, we’d try to mimic the old methods of working, having Peter (or whoever) make the art, then scanning it to digitise. It would be a fun process!

Spaff: In many ways working on DOTT was already a bit like this - we took some of the game design from Broken Age and applied it to DOTT - the inventory for example! Making Psychonauts 2 will have a similar process in many ways too, gotta preserve what made the original game great whilst still moving forwards… fun times!

Given that there are sound effects in the game that were only played by CM-32L or CM-64 Roland MIDI units (if you don’t have one of those, you wouldn’t hear certain sounds in the game), how have you tackled these particular bits of sfx? - ThunderPeel

Matt: We based our sound work on the most common version that everyone played on back in the day, which was Soundblaster 16.

What does "re-voiced music" mean for Day of the Tentacle Remastered, and what kind of work went into that? - WendellFinkwinkle

Matt: It’s out now so you can hear it for yourself! But it essentially means taking a midi, and applying more modern sounding samples to the different instruments. We worked with Peter M to identify which sounds were supposed to be say, a saxophone, and then he would send us an example of what that should sound like in the composition for us to try and emulate.

If Ben and Hoagie are brothers, are there hover cars in the DOTT universe somewhere? - ThunderPeel

Matt: The car out the front of the Mansion has clearly fallen from a great height, so you tell me? It’s the only explanation of that car…

With the game now released, what were the biggest hurdles the team had to overcome? - Cheeseness

Matt: The underlying scumm interpreter is still pretty fragile and getting it to do things and run on all these different systems is a big pain. It still drives all of the logic, animation and sound in both the classic and remastered modes, so it was tricky to get that all to work together on modern platforms with all of their different requirements. Also, getting the music to play back properly was really challenging - a PS4, for example, don't have midi playback and you can’t just record a midi stream from a modern PC and play it back since that wouldn’t sound right. (If you’re interested in how we got that to work, see this post!)

What are the team’s favourite memories of working on DotT Remastered? - Cheeseness

Spaff: For me it was going to the Ranch and rifling through all the archives, as a long time mega fanboy of these games, it was really quite a crazy moment. As well as beholding all the original artwork for DOTT and Full throttle with our own eyes, we were able to look through the backgrounds for Monkey Island 2, for example. Mannnn it was insane, and I will remember it forever. I remember us both losing our shit at every new draw we opened.

Matt: The first time we were able to play through the game with the new art, because everything, the animation and backgrounds and stuff had been made in isolation from one another, so seeing it all come together was really exciting!

The first time we saw the characters moving around the scene, it just looked amazing! Playing together as a team who all had been working on it together was just awesome.

The first time we got the draw-overs from Peter and Larry, we saw exactly how to take what we already had and push and pull it. All of their feedback was so valuable, and it was great to see just how their feedback helped guide our artists.

Did Matt ever think of anything super technical to ask Oliver? - Cheeseness

Matt: Nope! We just let him do his thing.... (However, if you want some technical sounding answers, read this post)

Golo Flakes! Whomever put that in the game deserves a hearty pat on the back - Cheeseness

Matt: It was something that came out of a team playthrough. It is a running joke on the team and a wink to our friends on the forums. Jar Jar was my idea…..sorry about that. :)

Answered Questions

Second Batch (continued from previous post)

Published 2015-08-05, with responses from Tim Schafer, James Spafford, Dave Grossman and Matt Hansen

[An] old LucasArts interview [mentions] that the original DOTT team got a quote from Chuck Jones himself about the game [...] Could you use the quote in the DOTT:SE marketing? - daffy

Tim: We gave the great Chuck Jones a demo of the game HOPING he would say something that we could use as a blurb, but he never said anything that we could use. We should have just come out and asked him for one. Still, it was fun hanging out with him.

What is the most memorable moment in DoTT for each team member? (perhaps a certain puzzle, cutscene, dialogue, etc.) - Scrawffler

Tim: It's all special to me! But the part that get stuck in my head the most is when Weird Ed says, "Are you making fun of me?" For some reason, I still repeat that line in conversation to this day.

Spaff: surely *everyone's most truly memorable moment is purple tentacle's decree to take on the world? Anyone who claims otherwise is a liar.

The line of dialogue that I keep finding in my brain is Laverne saying ‘Yoo-hoo, mr Tentacle guy" . Also Hoagie's lines about offering George Washington an ‘excellent smoke'

Dave: I would have a hard time even narrowing it down to a dozen. I've revisited the game recently, and after more than twenty years there are still loads of things in it that make me smile. So, instead of picking the most memorable, I'll just pick the first memorable

The very first thing that comes to mind is the dialog where Hoagie talks to Dead Cousin Ted. Why do I like that one? For one thing it was really fun to write, but also it's an example of a kind of self-indulgent excess that highlights one of the enjoyable things about working on those games at that studio at that time, which is that we had the freedom and the bandwidth to create things for their own sake. I mean, there is no reason for there to be a dialog with Ted at all, or at least no reason in pure game terms. There's no puzzle and you don't learn anything useful. It's purely a character exploration moment for Hoagie. I happen to think those kinds of moments are important.

Do you plan on eventually releasing concept art to the public? I understand it's not appropriate to do so now, but how about after the SE has been released? - Scrawffler

Matt: We're still looking for it, it wasn't as well preserved as it was in Grim - we have photocopies of some of it, but we're hopeful to find more of the original stuff.

Is the DoTT Special Edition likely to lead to "special editions" of additional LucasArts titles? - ShyGuyXXL, dsc016

Matt: We'd love to go back and revisit some more games, especially Full Throttle, we'll have to see how well DoTT is received!

What's the point of being able to pick up the hub cap in the future basement after Laverne gets punched into the old time machine? - ShyGuyXXL

Dave: Point? This is Day of the Tentacle, things don't need to have an actual point, do they?

But I'll say this: We had a general philosophy that if there was something in the environment that looked like it might be useful, then the player should be able to at least try to use it. Not letting you touch stuff for reasons that feel arbitrary disrupts the fantasy and makes the game world feel less real, and that's bad, lazy game design.

Usually what we would do to avoid this is to remove all the ladders and pickaxes and so on from the background art, but in this case someone had done a really fun animation that wound up with that hubcap on the floor, and it was kind of late in the production and it was going to be a lot of work to change it, and we couldn't think of a good enough reason for Laverne to refuse to take the hubcap, so, we just let you pick it up and try to do stuff with it even though it wouldn't actually solve any of your problems.

Are there uncompressed voice recordings from the original game? Will they be used? - d_Stilgar

Matt: Yes. There are. We found the original DAT tapes from the recording session and we've painstakingly gone through and re-edited the sessions to pull out high quality audio for the voice, which is what we will be using for the special edition!

Will you be doing a super-high resolution version [for other platforms] like you did with Broken Age for iPad? - d_Stilgar

Matt: We're making DoTT as high resolution as we feasibly can, so that we can make sure it fits in with the current and maybe even next generation of computers and consoles, we'll see! :)

Will you be adding a "mega-monkey" mode with some new, more difficult puzzles? - d_Stilgar

Matt: nope, sorry!

Any cool discoveries (that you can talk about) this time [regarding interesting things found in the game's data files]? Maybe Grossman nonchalantly revealing the Secret of Monkey Island somewhere? Remnants of lost puzzles? - Alfred J

Matt: We did find out one interesting thing actually, about Ben!

Spaff: Oh yeah! Whilst reading through Tim's DOTT notebooks I spotted reference to one ‘Ruben Throttle' - Was this Ben Throttle's full name? I asked Tim and he confirmed it was. That's a fun fact in and of itself, but it gets better. in 2001 or so my friend Jake and I asked Tim if Hoagie was Ben's brother, and he said something along the lines of "how did you know that!?". When I asked him about the Ruben Throttle thing, Tim brought up his relationship with Hoagie again and said "their mom named them both after sandwiches". So there you go!

Eddie Riggs is clearly related to them somehow too, but maybe as a cousin or something seeing as he doesn't have a sandwich name? Unless Eddie Riggs is a stage name, hmmmm.

Do you feel like pulling apart these classics and putting them back again is giving you a better understanding of what separates a good adventure game from a great one? Are you secretly being trained to form the most powerful point & click design team ever created to push Double Fine into a new era of adventure gaming? - Alfred J

Matt: *jokingly* We already are the most powerful point & click team ever!

Spaff: I guess DF already did enter into a new era of Adventure gaming though, right?

Matt: Yup! but seriously... hmm you can see the planning that went into this game up front, the game was largely designed on paper before doing anything - from my experience working on a handful of adventure games in the past, that hasn't been the approach, it's been a bit more organic. There are pros and cons to both ways, but it was clear what the vision of this game was from the get go. Lots of careful planning! That's not really how it works these days though.

Have Dave and/or Tim talked to you about alternative ideas for the game, from back when they were designing it in the early 90s? - Alfred J

Matt: well, we did discover there were alternate characters!

Spaff: Oh yeah, because it was Maniac Mansion, which has a load of characters to choose from, the original idea for Dott was to have more than three also, right?

Matt: Yup! We'll talk more about them in the special edition commentary I think!

Continued in next post...

Answered Questions

Second Batch (continued from previous post)

Published 2015-08-05, with responses from Tim Schafer, James Spafford, Dave Grossman and Matt Hansen

We all know Tim would love to do a Full Throttle remake at some point, but what are some of your favorite older games you'd love to remake next? - Alfred J

Matt: I'd love to remake Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders, because that was one of my favourite games growing up. It's one of the only David Fox adventure games, it's unpredictable and out there, and i love it. I'd love to see a special edition of that game, a talkie especially!

Spaff: There are a ton of things rife for remaking - Loom, Fate of Atlantis... Ball blazer?

Matt: Sam and Max Hit the Road too - we made some 3D Sam and Max games at Telltale, but it would be great to revisit them in 2D, it represents a lot of what Steve was trying to do in his comics. It'd be great to see that!

First Batch

Published 2015-04-10, with responses from Matt Hansen and James Spafford

What are each team member’s favourite characters or puzzles from Day of the Tentacle? - Cheeseness

Matt: Definitely the Dead Ted beauty pageant - cuts it’s %£@ing hilarious. It’s funny, and it just keeps getting funnier as you just have to keep solving the different aspects of it…of which the smile is my favorite one, ‘cus it shows this zoomed in,…. like you see dead ted at the end with the wig of spaghetti, the horse teeth, and the laugh box. But then Harold still wins, so you have to get the fake barf and convince the judges he vomited everywhere. I remember being like ‘I dunno who wrote this but this is just brilliant’

Spaff: Mine has to be one of the complicated time back-and-forth puzzles. I guess above all else it’s the hamster puzzle, putting a sweater into the laundry and having enough quarters to have it run for for 200 years, until it shrinks enough to fit on a hamster… just the best. Character wise, I’m a Purple Tentacle kinda guy… but i feel that’s too easy a pick.

Matt: Personally I think I like Hoagie’s lines the most, ‘cus I think he is the one that seems the least emotionally invested in the whole thing, he just happens to be there…

Spaff: Yeah but I love Laverne’s attitude to that whole thing too, she’s so unfazed by it all… “Yoo-hoo Mister Tentacle guy!”

Matt: She’s fearless… All the main characters are really good. I love Harold too… there are a lot of unanswered questions about Harold.

What factors have gone into selecting team members for the Special Edition? - Cheeseness

Matt: It was a natural transition to take the group of adventure game fans that worked on Grim and have them also work on DoTT, because there are a lot of similar features that we want to have in both, and we learned a lot of lessons from doing Grim.

Oliver is also a really good choice - he worked on the special edition for Monkey Island, and not only is he familiar with the process, but also with the codebase, and with the team members that worked on those…. they’ve already given us lots of good info on what they did to overcome some of the same problems we will face.

What are your goals for this Special Edition? - ThunderPeel

Matt: So we’re somewhere between the remaster of Grim and the reimagining special editions of Monkey Island. Grim was the sort of Criterion experience, how can we preserve the original material but bring some special features to the fans, whereas with the Monkey Island games, someone made a decision not to just HD the, but reimagine some of these things, invent resolution in some cases.

We’re in the middle here. We want it to feel like the same game, but we wanna add lots of modern conveniences, and details where required - each asset has been touched with lots of love.

Spaff: It’s a good chance for us to do that too, ‘cus we have the original creator right here to ask about those things - the feel, the intention… and then we’re able to involve not just Tim but we’re talking to the rest of the team too, Dave Grossman, Peter Chan, Peter McConnell, Larry Ahern, etc.

How much input is Tim and Dave having into what elements are getting “Special Edition-ized”? Do they have any ideas for what they want to see? Or are they leaving it up to you to see what you can do? - ThunderPeel

Spaff: Oops just answered this...

Matt: Yeah, the kick off meeting we had for the game was Dave Grossman, Tim, and me, sitting down and talking about ideally what this would be - what they wish they could have done, what they've seen other special editions do that they want, customizations features, concept art, whatever.

Spaff: So this whole process started with the original creators of the game sitting down together, and those people will guide it as they go along too.

Matt: Yup!

What will be the *easiest* aspect of the game to port to the modern systems you all are targeting? - chickenmonger, ThunderPeel

Matt: Even when pixellated, the old art still looks really good - having that starting point makes it much easier because the characters, the backgrounds, etc, they all have a lot of detail so we don’t need to invent facial features etc. It already looks beautiful, so I’d say the art.

Will SCUMM be used in any form? - Jonatant

Matt: Yeah. Kinda. Yes. The logic is still written in SCUMM script, so the game will run from that logic, so its in there for sure. We’ll just need to add things around it to bring it to the modern world.

Is this gonna be some sort of developer commentary? - RMJ

Matt: Absolutely! It’ll be a smaller cast of people, as the dev team was smaller. But we are definitely going to record a commentary.

What are they simply looking forward to the most (as a creative team digging into a classic) now they are diving into this project, aside from making it playable again? - Smiles

Matt: Man, I guess having a definitive version of the game I can play with enhanced everything…

Spaff: Honestly, just working on the game in any form is a massive honour, I feel so privileged because I love DOTT so damn much, it’s a huge deal for me. Just the other day we had a conversation about the special edition artwork on a thread with Peter Chan... and I nosed through the original voiceover scripts too… its all going to be the best!

Matt: Thats how I feel too, it’s a total mind &*$% actually. So awesome.

Someone should ask Oliver something super technical so we can all sit back in awe wondering what he is talking about. - matthansen

Matt: I asked this one! I don’t remember that! OK. The trouble is Oliver babbles pretty much entirely in binary, and we’re not competent enough to figure out what he says half the time. So maybe we’ll leave that for next time.

What about iMUSE? Will you be able to implement that in the Special Edition? - Diduz76

Matt: We’re not sure if we’ll use iMUSE exactly, we need to talk to lots of folks before we try that - we’re hoping so, but if don’t then we will emulate it’s effects - whatever is under the hood won't matter though, the musical transitions etc will be preserved.

Unanswered Questions

The questions below have been asked, but have not yet been answered. This may be due to a large number of questions in previous batches, or the questions being about topics that are unclear or can not currently be talked about. These questions may be answered in the future as development continues and more information becomes available.

Having your question listed here isn't a bad thing! All questions are appreciated <3

Without focusing on DoTT specifically, what differences in approach are there between a “remastering” and a “special edition”? - Cheeseness

How close to completion was the Singapore version? (Rumours suggest “nearly 80% complete”—does that sound right?) - ThunderPeel

How much the Art Style for Speacial Edition will shift from original Day of the Tentacle game ? - I am The Mad Pirate

Once you have started this project, could you please release some awesome wallpapers? - Outatime

Is there any chance of double fine adding deleted content, if such a thing exists? Or just plain additional content? - RMJ, Cyrus

Have you thought about making the game into 2.5D sort of like

? - RMJ, misterAxp

How hard was it to get your mitts on [the LucasArts Singapore] assets? How hard/unlikely did you think it would be? - BiggerJ

Any ideas where you yourself might take a sequel? Would it be called Maniac Mansion 3, Day of the Tentacle 2, or both? - Alfred J

A note regarding the "Singapore version" that LucasArts had allegedly been working on prior to its closure:

please stop asking about the 'Singapore version' - we're not allowed to comment on the theoretical existence or non existence of it and I don't want anyone to get in trouble!

I know it's dumb, but that's the way it is right now - if anything changes I'll letcha know!

* How close to completion was the Singapore version? (Rumours suggest "nearly 80% complete" -- does that sound right?)

* How much input is Tim and Dave having into what elements are getting "Special Edition-ized"? Do they have any ideas for what they want to see? Or are they leaving it up to you to see what you can do?

* What are your goals for this Special Edition?

Will a version of Maniac Mansion be included with the special edition of the game similar to how it was originally included? If so i assume it won't be a remastered remake all its own, but could it be a scummvm compatible copy such as dos v2 or the commodore 64 version?

(Just adding my vote for the original version of Maniac Mansion -- like DOTT always intended -- not the later "Enhanced" one.)

* What's the difference between a "Remaster" and a "Special Edition" in your eyes

EDIT - I guess this is very similar to one Cheeseness has already asked.

Everybody should keep in mind that very few decisions have been made about what form the special edition may take, and answers to more direct questions about specific implementation bits and pieces might end up getting vague answers or being put aside until later in development.

Updating the second post with everybody's new questions :)

HI!!!

DOTT!!!!

The best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my favorite game of all times!

To the team:

Once you have started this project, could you please release some awesome wallpapers?

1920x1200 if possible.

Thanks!!!

JP

HI!!!

DOTT!!!!

The best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my favorite game of all times!

To the team:

Once you have started this project, could you please release some awesome wallpapers?

1920x1200 if possible.

Thanks!!!

JP

I would also love some HD wallpapers from each of the stages ie Hoagie 200 past, Bernard present day, Laverne future and alternative present day. Not exactly a targeted question for the devs though, add it to the wishlist thread!

Is there any chance of double fine adding deleted content, if such a thing exists ? orr just plain additional content?.

Is this gonna be some sort of developer commentary?.

Are there gonna be a hint system of some description for new players?.

Have you thought about making the game into 2.5D sort of like this?.

Is there any chance of double fine adding deleted content, if such a thing exists ? orr just plain additional content?.

+1. There's obviously *some* content or artwork that was in the original but never made the final cut. Are we going to have a chance to see more to get even more engrossed in the world within DOTT. I am very keen to know if there's a possibility, but LucasArts wouldn't have done anything with those assets when they were working on the special edition so it will require more work...

What are they simply looking forward to the most (as a creative team digging into a classic) now they are diving into this project, aside from making it playable again?

Smiles

Thanks for all the awesome questions, everyone! It will be fun answering these.

Someone should ask Oliver something super technical so we can all sit back in awe wondering what he is talking about. :)

Someone should ask Oliver something super technical so we can all sit back in awe wondering what he is talking about. :)

Or just let him talk about technical stuff :P I enjoy listening to people like John Carmack even though i dont understand what he is talking about :P

What about iMUSE? Will you be able to implement that in the Special Edition?

The team of Monkey Island 2 Special Edition got it pretty well.

Or just let him talk about technical stuff :P I enjoy listening to people like John Carmack even though i dont understand what he is talking about :P

Yeah, just endless rambling will do just fine :)

Sweet! We'll work through this stuff and try to make a shortlist of 10 questions that fit within the boundaries of what can/can't be talked about that Matt has set us, and we'll aim to get responses back soon!

I dont think I have the technical knowledge to ask meaningful questions of Oliver, but as others have said I'd very much like to hear him talk about his ideas/possibilities and limitations of the project/the tools/engine to be used etc. I really enjoyed his parts in the broken age doco where he talked about debugging the game etc. I had no idea that animation frames could drift from other aspects of the engine and cause issues, the thought it wasn't somehow 'automatic' never crossed my mind.

I'm more than happy to not understand everything he says, I just enjoy taking in what I can and feeling that little bit smarter afterwards. Like RMJ I love listening to extended talks by John Carmack etc, I may not understand the fine detail but the principles discussed are very interesting to consider and give some insight into the beautiful complexity underpinning the games we enjoy playing so much :)

This might not fit into this Q&A. If not I'd love to hear more on the technical side of the game, from Oliver and others involved, in the doco if possible.

I dont think I have the technical knowledge to ask meaningful questions of Oliver, but as others have said I'd very much like to hear him talk about his ideas/possibilities and limitations of the project/the tools/engine to be used etc. I really enjoyed his parts in the broken age doco where he talked about debugging the game etc. I had no idea that animation frames could drift from other aspects of the engine and cause issues, the thought it wasn't somehow 'automatic' never crossed my mind.

I'm more than happy to not understand everything he says, I just enjoy taking in what I can and feeling that little bit smarter afterwards. Like RMJ I love listening to extended talks by John Carmack etc, I may not understand the fine detail but the principles discussed are very interesting to consider and give some insight into the beautiful complexity underpinning the games we enjoy playing so much :)

This might not fit into this Q&A. If not I'd love to hear more on the technical side of the game, from Oliver and others involved, in the doco if possible.

Endless rambling about the technical aspects of a project are really insightful. Most people may not be aware, but this sort of discussion gives the viewers/listeners an opportunity to understand how the developers mind works. I'm a web developer myself so I can appreciate the discussions among inspired web developers. I can vouch for the value in this type of discussion, and I encourage DoubleFine to give their fans this opportunity.

It's one reason I love the new Dev's play series!

It is crazy busy at Double Fine since it is GDC and we are so close to the convention center. I will try and update more after the dust settles.

Sign in to follow this