Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

Questions for the DoTT Remastered Team

Of course! Haha, I remember thinking that too, actually. Forgot about it momentarily - thanks for the reminder!

Would be cool if that is the same Eddie. I can imagine Tim making sure a character gets mentioned in a game about 16 years before he makes his first real appearance. :)

Hard to imagine Ben and Hoagie growing up together. What's a conversation between them sound like?

If Eddie was a sandwich, I think he'd be a Grinder... even though he was a Hero ;)

A NEW QUESTION HAS ENTERED THE THREAD

Speaking of sandwiches, it's recently come up in another thread that the following lines in the same seem to... contradict each other:

When Hoagie first meets George Washington the following exchange takes place:

Hoagie: "My name’s Hoagie.”

George Washington: "Like the sandwich? How quaint.“

But everyone knows that Benjamin Franklin invented the hoagie in order to make the British army too tired to fight -- and he hadn't invented it yet, as he later says:

Benjamin Franklin: “Nice working with you, Hoagie. I promise to name an invention after you someday.”

What's going on? Some kind of oversight? :)

ANOTHER NEW QUESTION APPEARS!!!

I was just thinking that as long as we're asking new questions, I thought I'd throw mine in, and it's a big one!

Once you are done with the Special Edition of Day of the Tentacle, have you thought of tackling any of Lucasarts' cancelled games, such as Freelance Police?

By the way, how did you know I was going to ask that?

ANOTHER NEW QUESTION APPEARS!!!

I was just thinking that as long as we're asking new questions, I thought I'd throw mine in, and it's a big one!

Once you are done with the Special Edition of Day of the Tentacle, have you thought of tackling any of Lucasarts' cancelled games, such as Freelance Police?

By the way, how did you know I was going to ask that?

Double Fine did get the assets from the cancelled Sam & Max and Full Throttle games, but it seems those games were considered not worth the effort as they apparently weren't very good quality.
I have seen plenty of stuff from both the canceled Sam and Max and Full Throttle projects. I really don't think anyone would have been happy in the end. What Telltale ended up doing with Sam and Max was the best possible outcome, and the idea of making a new Full Throttle without Tim seems insane.

Double Fine did get the assets from the cancelled Sam & Max and Full Throttle games, but it seems those games were considered not worth the effort as they apparently weren't very good quality.
I have seen plenty of stuff from both the canceled Sam and Max and Full Throttle projects. I really don't think anyone would have been happy in the end. What Telltale ended up doing with Sam and Max was the best possible outcome, and the idea of making a new Full Throttle without Tim seems insane.

Just because Matt's seen them, that doesn't necessarily mean that he saw them while working at Double Fine or that DF has rights to use them.

I'd speculate that how well DotT goes will probably have a big impact on the likelihood of any future special editions.

I'll try to get the questions post updated today :)

Just because Matt's seen them, that doesn't necessarily mean that he saw them while working at Double Fine or that DF has rights to use them.
Very true. He did work for Telltale, so it’s possible he saw them there. Eep. I jumped to conclusions a lot in that post, and I try not to do that. :o

Very true. He did work for Telltale, so it's possible he saw them there. Eep. I jumped to conclusions a lot in that post, and I try not to do that. :o

It's all good! I suspect that there were people outside of, but still around LucasArts who saw bits and pieces. The other people I know of who've seen stuff seem to echo Matt's sentiment that neither game was shaping up to be something that fans would have appreciated.

Once you are done with the Special Edition of Day of the Tentacle, have you thought of tackling any of Lucasarts’ cancelled games, such as Freelance Police?

Would you be comfortable having the question re-worded to be something like this? I'm not sure how likely this one is to get an answer since it moves beyond DotT, but opening it up into a more general question might make that more likely.

If the opportunity to work on a sequel to an existing LucasArts adventure game (such as the cancelled Sam & Max game Freelance Police), how would you approach that?

A NEW QUESTION HAS ENTERED THE THREAD

To keep things consistent with the one to two sentence format questions, are you comfortable with this re-wording?

In the game, George Washington commenting on Hoagie's name being "like the sandwich" seems to contradict Benjamin Franklin's later promise to name an invention after Hoagie. Is there a story behind that?

Thanks Cheeseness. I'd prefer a tiny tweak:

In the game, George Washington commenting on Hoagie’s name being “like the sandwich” seems to contradict Benjamin Franklin’s later promise to name an invention after Hoagie. Is there a story behind that, or is it an oversight? (Everyone knows Franklin invented the hoagie to make the British troops too tired to fight ;))

Thanks!

Once you are done with the Special Edition of Day of the Tentacle, have you thought of tackling any of Lucasarts’ cancelled games, such as Freelance Police?

Would you be comfortable having the question re-worded to be something like this? I'm not sure how likely this one is to get an answer since it moves beyond DotT, but opening it up into a more general question might make that more likely.

If the opportunity to work on a sequel to an existing LucasArts adventure game (such as the cancelled Sam & Max game Freelance Police), how would you approach that?

Something like that. The question should be something like:

If you were given the opportunity to work on a sequel to an existing LucasArts adventure game (such as the cancelled Sam & Max game Freelance Police), how would you approach that?

Just wanted to correct a small grammar mistake there.

Those questions are now up in the second post.

Thanks for spotting that omission, Bad Asp. I guess I wasn't wearing my editor hat properly! :D

Will there be additional content in the game (new puzzles, locations, characters, items, etc.)?

Will there be additional content in the game (new puzzles, locations, characters, items, etc.)?

I could've sworn this was already addressed, and the answer was "No".

Answered Questions

Will you be adding a "mega-monkey" mode with some new, more difficult puzzles? - d_Stilgar

Matt: nope, sorry!

Unanswered Questions

Is there any chance of double fine adding deleted content, if such a thing exists? Or just plain additional content? - RMJ

Could you include a copy of the original game as well, for us to play on ScummVM and such? Since nobody sells DOTT anymore, but they do sell Sam & Max, Indiana Jones etc, it would be great to at least have the old version included.

Could you include a copy of the original game as well, for us to play on ScummVM and such? Since nobody sells DOTT anymore, but they do sell Sam & Max, Indiana Jones etc, it would be great to at least have the old version included.

They will allow people to play the original graphics like Grim Remastered. Grim Remastered files were able to run in ResidualVM, but they could be working differently this time around.

I have a question about the sound effects: Given that there are sound effects in the game that were only played by CM-32L or CM-64 Roland MIDI units (if you don't have one of those, you wouldn't hear certain sounds in the game), how have you tackled these particular bits of sfx? (I’m guessing you can’t license these sound effects from Roland?)

Will the games' music be re-recorded along the same lines as this performance? (Minus the few bum notes, of course!)

I was wondering the same! Not sure exactly how they're going about it, but this came up recently:

Customisation also extends to music, there are two options - a new version with re-voiced instruments for a more modern sound, and a classic sound which we are trying our hardest to make sound like a soundblaster :)

Also from the press kit:

• Remastered high quality voices, sound effects and music, with emulated

“iMuse” style dynamic music

• Choose between two remastered music modes: modernized, re-voiced

music, or classic music which sounds just like it did in the 90s

• Choose between two remastered music modes: modernized, re-voiced

music, or classic music which sounds just like it did in the 90s

Woah! That's the first time I head about that! That's awesome! :D

Yeah, I saw that, but "revoiced" music? Does that mean they've just changed the instrumentation on the MIDIs, or they've actually rerecorded with live instruments?

DOTT has such a damn good soundtrack, and is really one of the last not get a live instruments upgrade.

Maybe they've kept it MIDI, but reworked the instruments to sound like they're being played live.

Hmm... "re-voiced", "modernized"... whatever it is they mean by those. I originally took them to simply mean higher quality (in comparison to the old SoundBlaster midi instruments) but it could mean that they've changed some of their instrument choices, or rearranged bits of the original score, or... who knows what else!

I'd love to hear a live instrumental soundtrack for the whole game; the music is so energetic and fun and everything you'd want in an "interactive cartoon". Maybe if they've managed to get the Melbourne Symphony involved on this project...?

I agree that a version with live instruments would be great, as long as it doesn't sound like it was actually recorded in a huge orchestral hall or something. I don't like that kind of sound. Or like an excessive amount of instruments that weren't part of the original composition. Something more reserved would be a better fit.

I think a fitting comparison would be comparing the soundtracks of Super Mario Galaxy and that of Super Mario 3D World. They both used real instruments as far as I know but the soundtrack of Galaxy is a lot more grandiose and -dare I say- epic, while the one for 3D Land has more of a big band feel to it.

I just prefer it when it sounds like there are just a handful of musicians around me, each of them playing a unique instrument as opposed to an entire orchestra with at least three people for each instrument. Know what I mean?

Also, I'd like to know what our sound guy can tell us about this, after being so insightful about the questions regarding sound effects. ^^

Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking anything overly-theatrical. Just some clean, high quality recordings that stay true to the game's atmosphere.

I'm not sure where questions for Paul are supposed to be right now. A new thread was started especially for audio questions, but it then got suggested that all questions for him were added here instead. Hopefully your questions regarding music will be seen by him (Spaff and Cheeseness both seem to be pretty good at reading these questions and getting responses).

orchestra definitely isnt always better. It can get to noisy and isnt always EPIC you want. Things can be epic with fewer people.

Less is more quite often. Not that orchestra music dont have it place. But i sure dont want any orchestra music in Day of the tentacle.

As much as real instruments can be great I really want the elevator music in Dwayne's room to sound like it's made with some really old and cheap synthesizers! xD

The intro scene definitely demands the epic orchestra, but alas.

I'll be glad if there's at least good samples, maybe a real instrument or two and arrangements that sound actually better than the fan stuff I find on youtube. :down:

Nowadays virtual instruments literally do magic. I'll try and post an example with an ingame midi

I completely agree about Dwayne's elevator music. :D

Although it's a longshot I'd love to hear a proper metal band perform the "Green T and the Sushi Platters" track.

I'm looking forward to hearing how they do the music, but it's not something I have any real concerns about. They may or may not go in the directions we expect, want, etc. but so far I've always been impressed with Double Fine soundtracks so I have faith in them. I think they'll do whatever they feel is best. :)