Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

Questions for the DoTT Remastered Team

I remember from some old LucasArts interview that the original DOTT team got a quote from Chuck Jones himself about the game but the marketing department (?) didn't think it was worth to print it on the box since they thought nobody knew who Chuck Jones was (???). Could you use the quote in the DOTT:SE marketing?

Heya. :) Long time lurker, first time posting.

First off, just want to say thanks so much to the team for doing this; DoTT is my favourite game of all time and I'm so glad it's being Special Editionified. Who knows, maybe it'll reel in a new generation of fans?

So, here are my questions:

* What is the most memorable moment in DoTT for each team member? (perhaps a certain puzzle, cutscene, dialogue, etc.)

* Do you plan on eventually releasing concept art to the public? I understand it's not appropriate to do so now, but how about after the SE has been released?

We're still trying to wrangle time to get the first batch of answers out. Once they're up, I'll add the new questions to the second post :)

Awesome, thanks!

Looking forward to seeing these answers. There were some great questions asked in the first batch.

I'm gonna prod Matt every day until i get a bunch more of these answered :)

I'm gonna prod Matt every day until i get a bunch more of these answered :)

"A bunch more"? None of them has been answered yet, right? I'm not missing anything?

Hm... I was gonna ask about the possibility of a Sam & Max: Hit the Road Special Edition but I guess Telltale owns the rights of that now, right? :/

Hm... I was gonna ask about the possibility of a Sam & Max: Hit the Road Special Edition but I guess Telltale owns the rights of that now, right? :/

I don't think Telltale ever owned the distribution rights to Hit The Road. So far as I'm aware, they had a limited time licence (much as LucasArts did) to use the Sam & Max characters in games, but Steve himself holds all the IP rights.

It might be a bit early to be asking about future re-releases of old LucasArts titles - I'm going to guess that if there were such things in the pipeline that nobody would be in a position to talk about them.

Of course, now is not the time to talk about that but if DoTT SE does well then Hit the Road seems like the logical progression since they are so similar in terms of style.

And I just think that Hit the Road deserves a remake as well.

Oh well, we'll see.

Schafer having nothing to do with Sam & Max makes it a weird proposition to me.

Full Throttle maybe, but I love it how it is.

Schafer having nothing to do with Sam & Max makes it a weird proposition to me.

Full Throttle maybe, but I love it how it is.

I just hope SOMEONE does it eventually.

I would be most interested in what's up with that Monkey Island license... :D

Alrighty! The first batch of answers is now up in the third post! Apologies for the wait, and a very big thank you to Matt and Spaff for taking the time to wrangle us some answers.

The next batch of questions will be selected on the 30th of April, and I've already popped the stuff that's been asked in the meantime up into the second post \o/

Enjoy!

Yay! Finally some answers! :D

Interesting...

Speaking of questions, here's something I've always wondered:

What's the point of being able to pick up the hub cap in the future basement after Laverne gets punched into the old time machine?

I bet Tim and Dave have an interesting story to tell about that which they can share in the commentary! :D

...or maybe they dont. ....they probably don't. xD

Are there uncompressed voice recordings from the original game? Will they be used?

Will you be doing a super-high resolution version like you did with Broken Age for iPad? Will you release it for PC at that resolution as well? Please? 4k and 8k are coming. We want this thing to last another 20+ years without the need for remastering (again).

Will you be adding a "mega-monkey" mode with some new, more difficult puzzles? I loved that about Monkey Island 3 and think it would be awesome for the DotT Special Edition.

Hooray, thanks Cheese and Spaff and Matt!

I didn't realise until now that Spaff is working on this. Do we know what his specific role is on it?

Woo, answers! :D

Great news about the commentary (I figured they would do it, but it's nice to have it confirmed) and I really enjoyed reading their answers to these in general.

What's the point of being able to pick up the hub cap in the future basement after Laverne gets punched into the old time machine?

I bet Tim and Dave have an interesting story to tell about that which they can share in the commentary! :D

If they do, I'd love to hear it!

Maybe it's an intentional red herring? Although if you try looking at the hubcap after you've picked it up, she even says something along the lines of "I don't know why I picked this up." That, and you can destroy it if you want. xD

Even so, I still remember it confusing me for a while when I first played it. Trying to figure out where it would be useful!

Woo, answers! :D

Great news about the commentary (I figured they would do it, but it's nice to have it confirmed) and I really enjoyed reading their answers to these in general.

If they do, I'd love to hear it!

Maybe it's an intentional red herring? Although if you try looking at the hubcap after you've picked it up, she even says something along the lines of "I don't know why I picked this up." That, and you can destroy it if you want. xD

Even so, I still remember it confusing me for a while when I first played it. Trying to figure out where it would be useful!

I think you can then put it into the recycling machine.... and then it's just gone. xD

So... maybe it was a statement on recycling? :P

I think you can then put it into the recycling machine.... and then it's just gone. xD

So... maybe it was a statement on recycling? :P

Well, it's always good to see computer game characters being eco-friendly. :)

Are there uncompressed voice recordings from the original game? Will they be used?.

Good question, I was kinda wondering the same thing.

Huh! I wonder what the deal is with the hub cap. Someone like ATMachine, or a ScummVM dev, needs to dig into the code.

I also just found this old post on MixNMojo: "As for the machine on the right side of the kitchen, it may just be useless, but it seems too important to be entirely useless. Maybe the hubcap and this machine is the start of something much larger, but I really doubt it. It was probably a cut puzzle."

So there's another seemingly useless object. How weird!

Just thinking about how, originally, DOTT was going to have six playable characters, from which you would choose three. Presuming this was to create alternate solutions to puzzles (like in Maniac Mansion) I'm guessing there were some puzzles planned in the game that didn't make the cut, simply because the chosen protagonists do not need to complete them. So maybe the hubcap was meant for another character?

Should we just start another thread for things we'd like Tim, Dave and co. to talk about during the commentary mode? ^^

I haven't played DotT in years, and I don't remember the hub cap, but could it be a reference to LeChuck's Revenge?

Should we just start another thread for things we'd like Tim, Dave and co. to talk about during the commentary mode? ^^

I think it'd be neat to have a list of requests somewhere that's easier to find, for sure (although there are no guarantees that stuff that's asked for will be able to find its way into a commentary, of course)! There's also the DoTT wishlist thread as well :)

When will we see the unanswered questions answered?

Those were the most interesting... and its been months!!

Ah, you're right! We're very slack (I've been swamped and the team has been busy). We'll try to get onto the next batch of questions soon.

There are no guarantees that any of the questions listed in the "Unanswered Questions" post will get answered, but if there's space, we'll look over them and see if there's anything in there that Matt and the team is willing and able to talk about (we don't want to use up everybody's time with a bunch of "We can't talk about that at this time" type answers)..

Sign in to follow this