Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

Questions for the DoTT Remastered Team

Just swooping in to start to get the ball rolling on this batch of questions. Sorry again to everybody for the delay.

Game will be in 2G or 2.5G mode ?

I'm not sure what this is asking about. Can you elaborate a bit? :)

I'm really curious about the infamous Singapore Assets from the cancelled remake (which I know you guys have and like). I know there was a lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt about whether you guys would ever get your hands on them, given that they wasn't ever actually revealed by Disney itself - there was always the chance that Disney would say 'you can't have them', 'you can have them if anyone ever finds them' or, worst of all, 'what Singapore assets?'. How hard was it to get your mitts on those assets? How hard/unlikely did you think it would be? Will we ever learn which and how many assets you used? If you use any of them, the best case would be to have a switchable 'Singapore view' mode in the game in which all Singapore assets are marked.

Man, 'the Singapore assets' sounds like a macguffin from a spy movie. The kind of thing kept in a briefcase whose contents glow when you open it.

I think 2D or 2.5D

That was my guess, but I want to be sure rather than assume :)

I'm really curious about the infamous Singapore Assets from the cancelled remake (which I know you guys have and like). I know there was a lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt about whether you guys would ever get your hands on them, given that they wasn't ever actually revealed by Disney itself - there was always the chance that Disney would say 'you can't have them', 'you can have them if anyone ever finds them' or, worst of all, 'what Singapore assets?'. How hard was it to get your mitts on those assets? How hard/unlikely did you think it would be? Will we ever learn which and how many assets you used? If you use any of them, the best case would be to have a switchable 'Singapore view' mode in the game in which all Singapore assets are marked.

Man, 'the Singapore assets' sounds like a macguffin from a spy movie. The kind of thing kept in a briefcase whose contents glow when you open it.

Keeping in mind that the Singapore assets are something that can't be talked about at the moment (I think Matt mentioned this over in the wishlist thread), are you comfortable if I distilled your question down to "How hard was it to get your mitts on those assets? How hard/unlikely did you think it would be?"?

When is Anniversary of the Tentacle?

Day of the Tentacle was released on the 25th of June 1993. Next week will be its 22nd anniversary.

Keeping in mind that the Singapore assets are something that can't be talked about at the moment (I think Matt mentioned this over in the wishlist thread), are you comfortable if I distilled your question down to "How hard was it to get your mitts on those assets? How hard/unlikely did you think it would be?"?

Sure.

He said that a while ago... with the implication that things may change. I hope you haven't forgotten MY question about them :)

He said that a while ago... with the implication that things may change. I hope you haven't forgotten MY question about them :)

Yup. It's still there in the 4th post so that it can be addressed if/when it becomes possible to talk about it.

Ooh, new question round coming up? I missed the earlier ones. Let me see; it's hard to think of questions that the team can talk about right now.

- I remember from interviews how, when working on the Monkey Island 1/2 and Grim Fandango remakes, the teams would often find little notes by Schafer and co. hidden in the data. Any cool discoveries (that you can talk about) this time? Maybe Grossman nonchalantly revealing the Secret of Monkey Island somewhere? Remnants of lost puzzles?

- Is Maniac Mansion still part of the package, and are you going to do anything special with that? I'm not expecting a graphical overhaul (that would be like remaking two entire games), but perhaps a separate commentary by Gilbert and Winnick for that section of the game?

- Some members of the team have now worked on several remakes of what many people consider the high points of the adventure game genre. Do you feel like pulling apart these classics and putting them back again is giving you a better understanding of what separates a good adventure game from a great one? Are you secretly being trained to form the most powerful point & click design team ever created to push Double Fine into a new era of adventure gaming? There's a mountain of new Star Wars games coming up, so it seems appropriate to create a new set of alternatives for people getting tired of blasters and goofy robots.

- Have Dave and/or Tim talked to you about alternative ideas for the game, from back when they were designing it in the early 90s? Any plans for sequels they might have had back then? Any ideas where you yourself might take a sequel? Would it be called Maniac Mansion 3, Day of the Tentacle 2, or both?

- We all know Tim would love to do a Full Throttle remake at some point, but what are some of your favorite older games you'd love to remake next? It doesn't have to be likely, or even a Lucasarts property (for instance: I'd love a remake of the first Discworld game. You could make something very beautiful out of it, and Rhianna Pratchett handles all the licensing now - she's smart, she's funny, she has written for (best-selling) games before, and she's a fan of Double Fine. Or just make a new Discworld game with her. Wait, I forgot the question).

Sorry for any confusion my questions may cause. It's not my native language and I just came back from a night shift at work. Feel free to ignore all of it. Apart from that comment about how you should be making Discworld games with Rhianna Pratchett that is.

Well, I for one think your questions are really good, Alfred! I hope they are able to answer them. I'm especially interested in what they plan to do with the original Maniac Mansion in the SE (if anything), and I'd love to know more about the ideas Tim and Dave and/or the SE team have had in terms of sequels.

Alrighty, posts have been updated and questions have been shortlisted and fired off. With Spaff away, etc., it'll probably be a few weeks before we wrangle answers answers. Sit tight! :)

Awesome. My questions are in that batch. :) Looking forward to hearing from the team.

Thanks for the update!

That top question about the Chuck Jones pretty much got answered in the interview with Tim linked in this thread:

"Yeah, we had done Day of the Tentacle with Dave and that was influenced a lot by Chuck Jones cartoons. We even brought Chuck Jones in to look at it. We were hoping he would make a blurb for the box, but the only thing he said was, "It looks good, but why am I here?" which is not a good blurb. We should maybe put that on the remake!"

It's funny, I spent about an hour searching for the quote, but hadn't found anything helpful. I had that article open amongst a bunch of "to read later" tabs the whole time >_

"Yeah, we had done Day of the Tentacle with Dave and that was influenced a lot by Chuck Jones cartoons. We even brought Chuck Jones in to look at it. We were hoping he would make a blurb for the box, but the only thing he said was, "It looks good, but why am I here?" which is not a good blurb. We should maybe put that on the remake!"

Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy. Oooh... I don't feel so good think using that quote would be BRILLIANT.

Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy. Oooh... I don't feel so good think using that quote would be BRILLIANT.

I think that is a perfectly silly quote.

Smiles

The next batch of answers are up, with answers from (in order of appearance) Tim Schafer, James Spafford, Dave Grossman and Matt Hansen.

It's a nice long read, which spill over the 8000 character limit and into the next post!

Great answers!

I'll just piggyback on one of them and ask: Have you tried getting access to the uncompressed recordings for the foreign languange dubs as well? The German version was recorded at the G&G Tonstudios, so maybe they still have them in their archives...

Yeah, great answers. Thanks for taking the time to respond to those questions, Tim, Dave, Matt and Spaff. I hadn't even considered a relation between Ben an Hoagie, so it was nice to learn that they are brothers. Also very cool to hear that Matt would like to remake Zak McKracken, since I still love that game. Would be great if a remake of it addressed the few dead ends in the game somehow to make it more approachable to a modern audience.

Have you tried getting access to the uncompressed recordings for the foreign languange dubs as well? The German version was recorded at the G&G Tonstudios, so maybe they still have them in their archives...

Oh boy! I can't wait to hear those awful mistranslations in HIGH DEF! :D

Thanks for answering my questions guys! Cool stuff. Can't wait to hear the commentary in the game, seems like there are some fun stories here.

Yay, more answers (thanks, Cheeseness)! And so happy I got responses from Tim, Dave, Spaff, and Matt! Awesome. :D

Will be interesting if they do manage to find some of the old concept art. I'm hoping this game will have Steam trading cards of some sort whatever happens with that, but yeah. I've seen some character designs and stuff floating around on various websites (including the drawings of Chester and Moonglow) and it'll be great if they show us more of the photocopies someday too.

Loved everyone's responses to my first question. Especially what Dave said about Hoagie's conversation with Ted. He's the one of the trio that doesn't actually need Ted for any puzzles, he's just there so we can get to know Hoagie a bit better. I love all those moments where we find little things out about the characters, and DOTT has an especially strong cast, I always thought. ^^

Fantastic news about the original voice over recordings! I know you could've got away with using the compressed ones if it came to it, but using the higher quality ones will certainly make a difference. Looking forward to that!

Haha, I remember wondering if Hoagie and Ben were related when I first played Full Throttle! Didn't know it was official. That's the best thing. I'll admit, when I first started Brutal Legend I wondered if Eddie was Hoagie's son or nephew or something (unsure of Eddie's age and what year the opening scene was set in). I'm still convinced Eddie's related to them one way or another!

Maybe Eddie is another brother and Eddie Riggs is just his stage name. His real name is probably BLT Throttle or something.

Haha, I remember wondering if Hoagie and Ben were related when I first played Full Throttle! Didn't know it was official. That's the best thing. I'll admit, when I first started Brutal Legend I wondered if Eddie was Hoagie's son or nephew or something (unsure of Eddie's age and what year the opening scene was set in). I'm still convinced Eddie's related to them one way or another!

Maybe Eddie is another brother and Eddie Riggs is just his stage name. His real name is probably BLT Throttle or something.

Mixnmojo knows:

When looking at the horse dentures, Hoagie refers to a fellow roadie named Eddie who "eats raw sewage on stage." This may possibly be a reference to Eddie Riggs, future Schafer character who stars in Brutal Legend.

Sign in to follow this