Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

Questions for the DoTT Remastered Team

Oliver, how does DOTT remastered's graphics scale up when you remove the verbs without causing pixellation or distortions? Is it just because the zoom factor isn't so great, or did you guys actually use vector graphics?

Thanks Oliver!

Bluddy, I don't believe they used vector graphics, I think it's just because the artwork is so high resolution and there's a good scaling algorithm! (Oliver can confirm or tell me I'm wrong, of course.)

Oliver, how does DOTT remastered's graphics scale up when you remove the verbs without causing pixellation or distortions? Is it just because the zoom factor isn't so great, or did you guys actually use vector graphics?

ThunderPeel is correct. Even though the animations were authored as vector graphics they were baked into pixel-based sprites. The scaling works since we draw the game into a (large) offscreen texture that can then be re-scaled to the required resolution.

Even though the animations were authored as vector graphics...

Oh, so that's why they look like they were drawn in adobe flash.

Interesting. If I have one niggle with the remaster (and I like 99.99% of it), it's that Peter Chan didn't seem to set the same guidelines he had when making the original. Things that were clearly filtered in the original, such as the foreground hamster tube in Ed's room, or the round window of the washing machine in the laundry room, have been turned into flat colors and don't look as good IMO. I saw in your 'making of' video that Peter made guidelines, and I paused it and read them, and I think they were a little too encouraging to make everything use flat colors rather than following the decisions that existed previously.

Interesting. If I have one niggle with the remaster (and I like 99.99% of it), it's that Peter Chan didn't seem to set the same guidelines he had when making the original. Things that were clearly filtered in the original, such as the foreground hamster tube in Ed's room, or the round window of the washing machine in the laundry room, have been turned into flat colors and don't look as good IMO. I saw in your 'making of' video that Peter made guidelines, and I paused it and read them, and I think they were a little too encouraging to make everything use flat colors rather than following the decisions that existed previously.

Sorry, the hamster tube change was something I did. It looked strange when we remastered that tube and it didn't read very well. I honestly didn't think anyone would notice and thought it looked better the way we did it in the end. Sometimes the translation from pixel art to HD doesn't look the way you would expect.

We tried to stick to Peter's direction as close as possible with everything. Sometimes some of those decisions might not be what everyone wanted, but we really tried to make decisions that manifested the original artistic intent as much as possible.

Thanks for doing a great job in general. I don't hate the tube, either.

BTW, in general, I would always go with the assumption that everyone will notice everything in a remaster. I've played this game since I was 12 and it's pretty much my favorite game -- there are things I notice without knowing that I notice them :)

Someone pointed out that the original hamster tube had a bit of translucency to it, as hinted by the dark internal circle on the left hand side. That's something I didn't notice originally, but I agree that the tube was supposed to be made of translucent plastic link. Also, the original has a mix of flat colors and blended colors that is similar to the effect Monkey Island 2 had for foreground objects: link.

I do agree that much of the art in DOTT is hard to categorize though: was it trying to blend colors, or was it trying to use flat colors and just failed due to limitations of the pixels? The laundry room, however, is a more obvious example: link. Clearly there was blending in the washing machine, and I think some of the early shots for the remastered edition even had blending there, but then it was removed for the final version for some reason -- I guess to comply more strictly with Peter's guidelines. But why not follow what was there before in cases where it was an obvious decision?

Sorry, the hamster tube change was something I did. It looked strange when we remastered that tube and it didn't read very well. I honestly didn't think anyone would notice and thought it looked better the way we did it in the end. Sometimes the translation from pixel art to HD doesn't look the way you would expect.

We tried to stick to Peter's direction as close as possible with everything. Sometimes some of those decisions might not be what everyone wanted, but we really tried to make decisions that manifested the original artistic intent as much as possible.

Thanks for sharing, Matt. As one of the diehards who love Peter Chan's work to death, I also find even the smallest deviation difficult to swallow. You may as well change Tim and Dave's words. His (and Steve Purcell's) artwork are a huge reason I love LucasArts adventure games (but not the only, of course -- I love the other games, too). I immediately spot differences because it was artwork that I admired so much.

There's a couple of niggles that I can't quite explain (like the blinds in the lobby, or the tic-tac-toe on the Super-Battery plans, or the lack of serifs on the "Ye Olde Outhouse" sign, or the fact that Hoagie says "outhouseS", I digress). It's impossible to please everyone I guess :) Please don't take such notes personally -- I love spotting them, but not to make you feel bad!

Thanks for doing a great job in general. I don't hate the tube, either.

BTW, in general, I would always go with the assumption that everyone will notice everything in a remaster. I've played this game since I was 12 and it's pretty much my favorite game -- there are things I notice without knowing that I notice them :)

Someone pointed out that the original hamster tube had a bit of translucency to it, as hinted by the dark internal circle on the left hand side. That's something I didn't notice originally, but I agree that the tube was supposed to be made of translucent plastic link. Also, the original has a mix of flat colors and blended colors that is similar to the effect Monkey Island 2 had for foreground objects: link.

I do agree that much of the art in DOTT is hard to categorize though: was it trying to blend colors, or was it trying to use flat colors and just failed due to limitations of the pixels? The laundry room, however, is a more obvious example: link. Clearly there was blending in the washing machine, and I think some of the early shots for the remastered edition even had blending there, but then it was removed for the final version for some reason -- I guess to comply more strictly with Peter's guidelines. But why not follow what was there before in cases where it was an obvious decision?

That was just the approach we landed on to keep it consistent. There were very few blended things in the game, so we decided to follow Peter's style guide even in places where it contradicted the pixel art.

Please don't take such notes personally -- I love spotting them, but not to make you feel bad!

I try not to. I have spent the last year of my life trying to make decisions on the game that I think would make the most amount of people happy. I know there are things we missed, but overall I think it feels pretty close to what I would want as a fan. I bought the game the day it was released and have played it dozens of times, and even I have missed some of the things that have been mentioned. But overall I am really proud of what the team was able to accomplish, flaws and all.

ThunderPeel, the thing is that the Peter Chan of today isn't exactly the Peter Chan of twenty years ago. See his attached guidelines. The washing machine was definitely blended in the original, but according to Peter's guidelines, wouldn't be for the new graphics. I do think the hamster tube would be a non-player-interactive foreground element, and so should have some blending according to the guidelines.

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 3.03.09 PM.png

578d00a6eaded_ScreenShot2016-04-06at3.03

matthansen, as I said in another thread, I think you guys did a spectacular job overall. This is a game that was begging for a remaster, both because of the low bitrate of the audio and the fact that the cartoony character graphics clearly couldn't be expressed well enough using low-res images.

ThunderPeel, the thing is that the Peter Chan of today isn't exactly the Peter Chan of twenty years ago. See his attached guidelines. The washing machine was definitely blended in the original, but according to Peter's guidelines, wouldn't be for the new graphics. I do think the hamster tube would be a non-player-interactive foreground element, and so should have some blending according to the guidelines.

I know the documentary said those were Peter's guidelines, but I'm 90% certain that those lines are guidelines written by the team based on Peter's comments. Anyways, that's besides the point, I love Chan's work today, too. In ideal world he would have art-directed the remaster, but that was never going to happen.

I kind of wish a few fans (ie. me :) could have given feedback before the release (even if it was going to be ignored - I worked as a games tester in the past, I know not everything gets done), but it probably wouldn't have made a difference on any meaningful level.

Matt has nothing to feel bad about. It's a great remaster that will bring all the joy of the original to a new audience. It really does the original justice. Nothing that bugs me as a diehard will mean anything to a new player -- they will have all the fun I did when I first played the original (something you can't say about other non-DF remasters). And even as a diehard I'm loving it, too. It's quite amazing that the things I'm pointing out are so minor; everything else is perfect and I feel like I'm playing it for the first time again.

Thanks Matt!

I kind of wish a few fans (ie. me :) could have given feedback before the release (even if it was going to be ignored - I worked as a games tester in the past, I know not everything gets done), but it probably wouldn't have made a difference on any meaningful level.

We actually talked about this internally at the end of DOTT, but it would obviously need to go through Disney review first. It was too late in the project to get that approval, but I think we are open to potentially try that for Throttle. But, it is tricky since it isn't our license, but I will try and ask earlier. I think there are a handful of people who I talk to all the time on the forums who could add a lot of really useful feedback.

I think it's a good idea, because Full Throttle is going to be trickier than DOTT to get right. There are questionable elements in the original game (namely, the fighting), the whole steaming engine needs to be redone, 3d model integration is going to raise a lot of questions, and I'm not sure the same clean hi-res art approach will translate well to that domain. But it is still a cartoon, and one that also suffers from pixellitis, which is good.

Something I noticed recently is that the part of the intro cutscene with all the close-ups of Bernard, Hoagie and Laverne seem to have quite a lot of differences. In this one it's mostly with Hoagie and Laverne:

comparison_by_shyguyxxl-d9y2ugf.gif

Hoagie's hair and cap are quite different, Laverne's hair seems to ditch the orange outlines, she's folding her arms which she didn't do in the original, and I also noticed that some of the colors are different. Like Hoagie's shirt.

I honestly didn't like how Bernard was drawn in this one:

comparison2_by_shyguyxxl-d9y2ugs.gif

His nose is much bigger, his ear is much lower for some reason and it also looks kinda... rushed, looking at the details, and that mouth... my god, that mouth... I'm sorry but I just don't like how the mouth was interpreted all throughout the game.

I would've done it like this:

mouth_by_shyguyxxl-d9y2w4k.png

He has this type of mouth on almost every sprite in the game and it kinda frustrates me to see that other one replacing it when it's so clearly this.

That said, I do like how accurate the actual backgrounds are. :)

I'm sorry to nag so much, I'm just a purist.

I think all of that was VERY intentional, ShyGuy. (Incidentally, I love the extra details on the wooden boards.) I think these screens were just damned perfect myself. Yes, they're different, but that's not automatically a bad thing... I love the new Bernard in particular.

I think all of that was VERY intentional, ShyGuy. (Incidentally, I love the extra details on the wooden boards.) I think these screens were just damned perfect myself. Yes, they're different, but that's not automatically a bad thing... I love the new Bernard in particular.

Well, I'm not a fan. He looks like Bernard's weird(er) long lost brother.

Double Fine guys, I don't believe I got a reply to a previous question. Did LucasArts do all its recording on DAT tapes? If so, are they all still around? Indy, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, and the Dig -- all casualties of an era when 8 bit sampling was seen as good enough.

Double Fine guys, I don't believe I got a reply to a previous question. Did LucasArts do all its recording on DAT tapes? If so, are they all still around? Indy, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, and the Dig -- all casualties of an era when 8 bit sampling was seen as good enough.

We were really only allowed to dig through the boxes for the projects we are working on. I saw boxes for some of those projects you mentioned, so I think it is totally possible. They are taking really good care of everything, so if they exist they are there for whoever takes on the task of digging through those boxes.

We were really only allowed to dig through the boxes for the projects we are working on. I saw boxes for some of those projects you mentioned, so I think it is totally possible. They are taking really good care of everything, so if they exist they are there for whoever takes on the task of digging through those boxes.

That's too bad and yet potentially tantalizing. Those are treasures, and whether or not remakes are made for them, they need to be re-digitized. Just for the sake of obtaining another data point, did you guys re-sample the voices for Grim Fandango, or were the data files good enough?

We actually talked about this internally at the end of DOTT, but it would obviously need to go through Disney review first. It was too late in the project to get that approval, but I think we are open to potentially try that for Throttle. But, it is tricky since it isn't our license, but I will try and ask earlier. I think there are a handful of people who I talk to all the time on the forums who could add a lot of really useful feedback.

Huh! I missed this. I'm not one of the people you talk to all the time, but I am very methodical and technically minded. Plus I can write good (which is super helpful when you're trying to explain something -- yes, "write good" was deliberately wrong), so I hope I might be included in that handful.

Whelp, I gave it a shot as well.

Here's my interpretation of Bernard's close-up. ^^

What do y'all think? :D

shyguyxxl_s_interpretation_by_shyguyxxl-d9y38wt.png

Actually I just realized I picked the wrong frame for the comparison.

It should be like this:

dott___remastered_remastered_by_shyguyxxl-d9y3b31.png

The proper mouth is actually there. Why they didn't use that for all the smaller sprites is still beyond me.

I do think you guys can be a bit too picky sometimes. Overall I am really pleased with how the art turned out. It was how I remembered it in my head.

Only thing that has really stood out was Bernard's big nose.

Good effort ShyguyXXL. I do prefer the hair on the Remastered. It seems a bit too nerdy, even for Bernard. The stair case stepping is too sharp, cut with a set square.

I do think you guys can be a bit too picky sometimes. Overall I am really pleased with how the art turned out. It was how I remembered it in my head.

Only thing that has really stood out was Bernard's big nose.

Good effort ShyguyXXL. I do prefer the hair on the Remastered as it seems a bit too nerdy even for Bernard. The stair case stepping is too sharp, cut with a set square.

Too nerdy for Bernard? Can you even use those words in the same sentence?

Thanks for answering, Oliver!

Wait... tentaclers... that's what we're called now, eh? Awesome. :)

Re: remastered character designs.

Some of the characters' visual designs didn't turn out the way I was expecting (basically, when I've drawn the characters before, I've often gone in a slightly different direction, despite trying to stay true to the original designs) but I actually really like them all!

Bernard does look quite different from the original when you compare those screenshots ShyGuy provided in that post. Although for the most part I really like his remastered look. I'm still not sure about the top of his glasses (I'd have liked them to be slightly rounder) but I accept them. It took a little getting used to, I suppose. It's not really something that bothers me.

I think both Hoagie and Laverne have been redrawn in the remaster wonderfully! In Hoagie's remastered walk cycle, he looks "bulkier" to me somehow. His stomach bounces around a bit more and I *think* he kinda waddles side to side a bit more when he walks now (maybe that's just my imagination though). I like his default facial expression in the new one too. He looks like he's pouting more. Overall, I think he also looks slightly more relaxed in the remaster.

Laverne has some hilarious facial expressions in the remaster! Well, she did in the original too, but some of her expressions have been kicked up a notch in this one. Among my favourites are when she picks up the frozen hamster and her eyes widen crazily, and pretty much everything she does throughout the "epilogue" cutscene. Also, her hair seems a bit wavier than I expected it to look, but again this is something that I actually prefer to my own interpretation.

I thought you guys used FMOD in DOTT just because it was easy to put some patches in a midi and make it run seamlessly on the same iMuse engine.

But I recently discovered that, actually, you are using mp3 format for every single audio piece.

So why weren't some nice VSTi an option during the remaster of the soundtrack, instead of a simple Roland Canvas patch?

I thought you guys used FMOD in DOTT just because it was easy to put some patches in a midi and make it run seamlessly on the same iMuse engine.

But I recently discovered that, actually, you are using mp3 format for every single audio piece.

So why weren't some nice VSTi an option during the remaster of the soundtrack, instead of a simple Roland Canvas patch?

What makes you say that? Where did you learn that it's supposedly MP3 (I find this very hard to believe -- even if it was digital sounds, I doubt they'd pick MP3 as the audio format -- it's outdated and requires a license, I believe -- seems very unlikely).

Sign in to follow this