Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

Questions for the DoTT Remastered Team

You're absolutely right, I didn't provide any proof before, I'm sorry, so here you are!

Double Fine Explorer 1.3.4 ;)

2mfzm7o.png

EDIT: also, funny thing, while checking out some *.info files (where localization text is found) I found some Monkey Island 2 SE lines (even including some commentary), like:

Tim: You distract a guy so you can move the flags, oh and then you're using wind.

Which is also another thing a pirate has to do. As a sailor, understand Tim: You distract a guy so you can move the flags, oh and then you're using wind.

Which is also another thing a pirate has to do. As a sailor, understand DEV_1047_spitvile_2_1 the wind. Understand the direction of the wind.

Dave: You'll notice though with the green stuff that you make and drink... the wind. Understand the direction of the wind.

Dave: You'll notice though with the green stuff that you make and drink... DEV_1047_spitvile_2_1 ...we sort of predicted the entire like all the other doping scandals in all the other sports.

...we sort of predicted the entire like all the other doping scandals in all the other sports. DEV_1047_spitvile_2_1 Tim: Do you have to make special spit?

Ron: Was he juiced? Is Guybrush juiced in this? Tim: Do you have to make special spit?

Ron: Was he juiced? Is Guybrush juiced in this? DEV_1047_spitvile_2_1 Dave: He's juiced, yeah.

makes me think they're using the same MI2:SE SCUMM based engine, which is nice

Interesting. Yes, they'd said they were using the "Remonkeyed" engine that Oliver had used previously. As a coder I've send things into the wild with the previous version's code included in places before, too. Oops :)

I'm somewhat amazed at your discovery, though. The music IS all MP3 files. What did they mean about keeping the original MIDI format for iMuse reasons?

Interesting. Yes, they’d said they were using the “Remonkeyed” engine that Oliver had used previously. As a coder I’ve send things into the wild with the previous version’s code included in places before, too. Oops smile

I’m somewhat amazed at your discovery, though. The music IS all MP3 files. What did they mean about keeping the original music for iMuse reasons?

I wish I knew the reason for this, believe me :P

As a musican\coder, I thought they used FMOD sequencing midi files with some instrument samples and real-time effects (like reverb and delay, for instance), hence the "cheap" (not so cheap, actually, but still cheesy) Roland Canvas samples;

that's something you can actually do and it's not that heavy performance-wise (like every single console game from SNES to N64 showed).

What might be a little heavier is what they're actually doing, which is decoding an mp3 file on the fly and when an iMUSE cue triggers... decoding another mp3 file on the fly, which might be the reason of "music looping out of sync".

Still, while it made sense to use Roland Canvas with midi files, it doesn't make sense (to me) that they didn't polish the instruments sound and maybe choose something better (any stock VSTi on any DAW does the job IMHO, and you don't have to pay license for using those) when they knew they had to render those to mp3 files.

Yeah, I'm a little baffled myself. I have no idea what a VSTi or DAW is, but I do know this means they could have made the music sound however they wanted.

Interesting that the game uses mp3 files like that. Makes me wonder if enterprising fans could swap in remixed audio somehow

Okay, I think it's time I finally addressed the elephant in the room. Something that's been bugging me for years...

Bernard is based on Dave Grossman, right? Ever since Tales of Monkey Island I've been watching interviews with Dave and thinking "He reminds me so much of Bernard!"

Hmm! I think Bernard is modelled after the idea if a prototypical geek from the 70s/80s... Grossman is much cooler than that! And don't forget that the character was designed before he joined LucasArts.

Sign in to follow this