Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

Special Edition graphical style options

I started looking at all the approaches fans have made over the years... Some good, some bad, but all interesting. I wonder which direction DF will take...

Original:

8j2DSFA.png

HD by rOmy:

agOa8xL.png

Animated 3D by Zlatko Kraljevic:

DLk0rbR.png

k5zUTAr.gif

Large animated version:

http://i.imgur.com/b9CALAC.gifv

3D byEdrice:

pyHvEzO.png

3D by VMweb.es:

XSojcy0.png

Stylized by Corpsefish:

o2BDJx6.png

I think I can preempt timegentleman and say that it looks far too clean to me. This one manages to look a little more organic, I think:

DLk0rbR.png

For me, the best would be a combination of the two: the smooth edges in the design of Monkey Mania's choice with the textures for the grime on the door, the fake barf, the crease in the welcome sign, and the thorns on the cactus from Thunderpeel's choice.

I agree with the 3D animated.

It will cause a riot with the fans if the tiny details such as the cactus are flattened out...

Though they both look good, I prefer something that looks original and nice, as long as the details is still there.

It makes no sense to remodel every room in 3d when the camera is static.

There are several rooms that pan left or right as you move through them.

Zlatko Kraljevic's animated version is really cool, but a bit beyond the point of DoTT's extreme perspective. It's a curvilinear (or "fish eye") view, which would of course change accordingly when the camera/center of vision moves as well. And if Double Fine did that, it would be

I'm usually a big fan of these 'half baked' 3D views ("projection mapping"), but I'm not sure it could work for DoTT.

In any case, I'm all for high res backgrounds, gritty texture instead of flat color and the will to ramp it up in the graphics department considerable.

For me, the best would be a combination of the two: the smooth edges in the design of Monkey Mania's choice with the textures for the grime on the door, the fake barf, the crease in the welcome sign, and the thorns on the cactus from Thunderpeel's choice.

I think the shadows are also a lots more natural looking in my choice.

The first redrawn one (the one with Bernard visible) is good, as is animated 3D. The rest are offensive.

I'm more concerned with how the animation will be handled. Going from low-res pixel art requires a good deal of interpretation, and a simple trace like what's in that shot won't do the visual style justice in my opinion. Thick, chunky, colored outlines were a necessity of the technology they were working with, designed to evoke thin black lines that they couldn't draw. I hope some care is taken to preserve the Looney Tunes look they were going for.

The HD one by rOmy is my absolute favorite. True to the original yet clean and crisp. For me there's no need to introduce extra textures and stuff. This game was always meant to have a cartoon-like look and feel and the one by rOmy does that best while staying true to the original.

These graphics can probably all be done using vector-graphics at least at the source-level so you can scale them to any realistic resolution the future might bring (4K? 8K?) without having to redraw them yet again.

EDIT: Looking at some of the other rooms, I don't think vector-graphics are gonna cut it :o)

I agree with pretty much everyone, the HD by r0my is the best. Also: wow, was the original really that pixelated? Nostalgia equals mental antialiasing.

r0my's looks fine... but it's also a little flat and dull. I think it needs more life in it. The cactus in particular looks bad. As do the shadows in the scene. Don't get me wrong, it VERY faithful, and it's VERY well done, it's just lacking in some... life!

Although maybe it's the poor rendition of Bernard that's doing it...

r0my's looks fine... but it's also a little flat and dull. I think it needs more life in it. The cactus in particular looks bad. As do the shadows in the scene. Don't get me wrong, it VERY faithful, and it's VERY well done, it's just lacking in some... life!

Although maybe it's the poor rendition of Bernard that's doing it...

Yep, agree with all this. Plus even smaller details like the shades - they have a little bit of (lol) shading on them in the original, which has been removed in r0my's (and the 3D one, in fact). Another HD remake which actually removes detail!

k5zUTAr.gif
I must have played this game thousands of times so I'm quite familiar with its graphic style, but seeing that background scroll like this for the first time actually gave me some heavy Psychonauts vibes.

...Which is a very good thing.

My favourite out of these is actually the one by Corpsefish. I love how stylised and "grunge" it looks. That said, I don't think that style would work for the whole game; first, it's not exactly the Chuck Jones-esque style the original had, and second because it wouldn't convey the right atmosphere in the scenes set in the past or future, it only really suits the present day version of the mansion. It's pretty cool just as a drawing though.

I like this one as a more realistic suggestion for SE style inspiration:

DLk0rbR.png

Although it might be nicer with a touch of texture, similar to the backgrounds of cartoons from the '40s to '60s.

It makes no sense to remodel every room in 3d when the camera is static.

It does, actually. Not only the fact that many sets are big enough to be traveled in, but also because 3D allows the game to adapt to every resolution, even 4K and upcoming. Doing that in 2D isn't that convenient (except if you keep to vector… but the engine has to be able to render vectors which isn't very common in 2D except in lousy flash games ^^)

It's very rare to see a 2D game working well in 3D, but it's a bit the exception here, with the angular drawings and sharp shadows style.

But they won't do that anyway, it'd cost too much. I like rOmy's as well (Zlatko Kraljevic is still my favourite here) :)

Actually, my concern is more about the animation, when going to more detailed sprites, the original pixel animation is usually either too flexible (so very expensive to do that in hand drawn animation — for example the intro), or too choppy (and then totally fine in pixels but definitely not with high detailed sprites). That was one of the bad things of The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition, some animations (walking…) weren't matching the graphics.

Seeing how they've redone Grim Fandango (assets almost not updated except textures, Manny's folded paper is still made of three unconnected rectangles flying in the air), and DF's pretty small experience in 2D (they've only done Broken Age and everything was vector animation), hard to know what to expect…

Come what may ^^

This HD by rOmi is actually my work.

http://bvigec.deviantart.com/art/Day-of-the-Tentacle-HD-Repaint-Full-429178959

I started looking at all the approaches fans have made over the years... Some good, some bad, but all interesting. I wonder which direction DF will take...

Original:

8j2DSFA.png

HD by rOmy:

agOa8xL.png

Animated 3D by Zlatko Kraljevic:

DLk0rbR.png

k5zUTAr.gif

Large animated version:

http://i.imgur.com/b9CALAC.gifv

3D byEdrice:

pyHvEzO.png

3D by VMweb.es:

XSojcy0.png

Stylized by Corpsefish:

o2BDJx6.png

Thanks for clarifying bvigec. Not sure how someone else took credit for that.

Anyways, we finally have the final version to compare:

Original:

8j2DSFA.png

Remastered:

FjWw6yB.png

I have to say that I think the take on the font by bvigec looks closer to what I'd imagined, and he's drawn the blinds, the rails through the window, and the flyer stand as actual objects, instead of simulating the shapes of the original:

agOa8xL.png

Sign in to follow this