Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fargetv

Why are people upset by 4:3?

I'm really puzzled by why so many (or so it seems, at least) are upset by keeping the 4:3 ratio of Grim Fandango. Firstly, people should be used to black bars by now, as films come in all kinds of aspect ratios. Secondly, who cares about the aspect ratio, as long as the visuals are tailored to the aspect ratio of the image portraying them?

The only plausible reason I can think of, is that people don't understand the concept of aspect ratios (yes, there are a lot of them!) and that they assume that the developers were lazy not to "convert" the game to 16:9 (whatever that implies.).

Anyhow - I'm very happy that they kept the original aspect ratio, as anything else would have been a degradation.

I couldn't agree more. I've been a fan of Grim since it first came out. I thought Remastered was a very respectful release. There was no way to change the aspect ratio without recreating the backgrounds from scratch. I'm really happy that it is the game I remembered, not some slapdash remake that's a shell of it's former self. (I'm looking at you, mobile remake of FFVI)

I'm sure many of the people complaining about the 4:3 aspect ratio don't understand that properly converting it to 16:9 would basically require completely rebuilding the game.

This reminds me of the pre-HDTV days when people used to complain that DVD's of movies presented in their proper widescreen aspect ratio had black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. They didn't get that removing those bars would basically entail butchering the original image.

I have no problem with it and am happy we have the original art. And this is coming from someone who uses a 21:9 monitor, which means I have the black bars of my monitor, then the side bars of the 16:9 remaster, then the square game - it's nested three times. Would have been nice if the side bars (art deco) of the remaster was scalable so it could extend out to a 21:9 screen, but no biggie.

I couldn't agree more. I've been a fan of Grim since it first came out. I thought Remastered was a very respectful release. There was no way to change the aspect ratio without recreating the backgrounds from scratch. I'm really happy that it is the game I remembered, not some slapdash remake that's a shell of it's former self. (I'm looking at you, mobile remake of FFVI)

I think you hit the nail on the head: to properly convert the game to 16:9 would have been a far larger project than was possible, basically a full remake.

The assets and level design are all built around 4:3, and personally I'll take pillarboxes (especially with the added art) over pan and scan any day.

I'm really puzzled by why so many (or so it seems, at least) are upset by keeping the 4:3 ratio of Grim Fandango.

I wonder if they're the same people who complain you can't hear what the actors are saying in silent movies.

Sign in to follow this